Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,899 members, 7,821,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out (52411 Views)

Man Cries Out As Cow Destroys His New Car While The Fulani Herdsmen Look On. / Hyundai Kona To Run For 482 Km When Charged, Charging Takes 9.35 Hours / Car Brake Pads: How Often Should They Be Replaced? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by henryobinna(m): 8:11am On Sep 25, 2022
Realguyman1:
I didn't said $1800 is not a big money anywhere. But why is she coming to the media to seek senseless attentions with it? Is it to discourage others from going or what?

If she can afford a car in Yankee, already shows she is a big woman and not the struggling Nigerians over there in Yankee. So why is she complaining of the money she used in fixing it?

Since she wants to seek attention, why didn't she show us the car she is using over there, so that we will know what her worth is?

For her to be using a car over there in Yankee already indicates she is not among the struggling Nigerians over there. So why don't she comes back to Nigeria and start a business for herself, so that she will not be charged heavily when she is paying her bills?

Bro chill, you're using this opportunity to vent your anger on her.

You shouldn't be angry or blame her because if you've been paying attention on social media lately you'd notice many people both in Nigeria and outside Nigeria share virtually every detail of their life with people on social media, whatever the reasons are is not what I'm concerned with. But it's actually normal for someone to share such details today on the internet, especially if they've been sharing other similar detail.

Another thing to note is that, she likely moved overseas very recently, so she is shocked at the amount she has to pay for such 'minor' fixes on her care. It's the more reason she felt compelled to share.

I'm not justifying her actions as I don't care much, I'm just trying to give you an idea of a reason.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by goodman5(m): 8:11am On Sep 25, 2022
Can u change brake pads with 1800 in Nigeria
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by henryobinna(m): 8:12am On Sep 25, 2022
Crysallis:

Let's say she earns 5k monthly, spends 3k on bills and taxes, then she should be smart enough to use her car minimally
Yea, you have a point. While some car faults could be prevented by careful usage of the cars, sometimes the roads are just bad or it could be the fault of other road users.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 8:16am On Sep 25, 2022
Jonifi:
U earn in dollars why complain abi Na naira u won take pay?

delzbaba:
its only rational reasoning that when you buy an expensive car to show off, then forget about the future maintenance cost you will shed hot tears, the average whiteman will go for his ford or truck ,, while my naija people will get there and buy benz.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by HardMirror(m): 8:20am On Sep 25, 2022
henryobinna:
grin grin grin

Is this a joke? Someone that earns $15k per month is a rich person. And would probably have somewhere around $12k or slightly less to spend to herself after tax. $1800 out of $12k to spend on break pad is a lot bro.

By the way, the chances that she earns that much is slim/low.
hehehe. imagine the guy saying 15k is the least they earn in a month. Most people are earning about $30,000 to $35,000 some even lower. Except you are in a top profession there is no way you can earn $15,000 in one month. I dont know where people see these figures o. you are right.

as for the brake pad, yes it is a lot of money, but i am not surprised she is charged that amount. this is why most Americans are good in DIY they do their own repairs. if you are engaging a profession, then you must be ready to pay

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by HardMirror(m): 8:20am On Sep 25, 2022
rexchazy:
I hate people that beg frequently using different monikers, you are not different from yahoo boys and 419. Please stop it you are already constituting nuisance here
how sure are you it is not a new format yahoo boys are using
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Don27tiky(m): 8:25am On Sep 25, 2022
Timatayo1:
It depends on the car
it does not depends on the car. My friend had to abandon his car when it had gear box issue because he was charged $3000 to get it done. We found out it would cost less than #150,000 to do that here
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by henryobinna(m): 8:28am On Sep 25, 2022
HardMirror:
hehehe. imagine the guy saying 15k is the least they earn in a month. Most people are earning about $30,000 to $35,000 some even lower. Except you are in a top profession there is no way you can earn $15,000 in one month. I dont know where people see these figures o. you are right.

as for the brake pad, yes it is a lot of money, but i am not surprised she is charged that amount. this is why most Americans are good in DIY they do their own repairs. if you are engaging a profession, then you must be ready to pay
Yea, a lot of Nigerians have a poor understanding of how things work outside Nigeria. There are people who think some developers working with any of the FAANG(Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google) companies make $100k per month. I know how I struggled to explain things to one. At a point I started to think maybe I'm the one with poor understanding of the whole thing.

So they think it's all flowing with milk and honey over there. Of a truth they typically earn much more than we do over here but people shouldn't blow things out of proportion. It is good that such repair shops charge that much because that is how they are able to pay their workers considerably good amount of money. You hear Nigerians talking about going abroad and earn good money despite doing menial jobs, they don't realize the establishment paying them that considerably good money had to charge their patrons/customers top dollar to be able to pay them. Hope you get where I'm driving at?

Yea, DIY is the way to go. You just can't pay out of pocket for everything and remain the same. You just can't unless you earn so much, which many don't.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by drnoel: 8:34am On Sep 25, 2022
ryloy:

https://twitter.com/abisinuolaa/status/1573414620718862341

The cost of the brakes itself was probably less than 100 dollars. The other additional cost was the man hours spent to do the repairs. That's what increased to cost to that 1800
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Boladdsox(m): 8:34am On Sep 25, 2022
Aunty Bisola. Where are you? For that amount I will bring breakpads from Ladipo; get tourist visa and one way flight. Fix it free if you tell your friends to bring their cars to wherever I am fixing your so they can pay my return ticket and all.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 8:42am On Sep 25, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerians... we switch modes when it favors us.

A lady complains she used $1,800 dollars = #1,200,000 +/- to change break pads only (of course with workmanship) and some people started giving funny comments like -

You will use the break pads for yearsssssssss unlike if broda kamoru the road side mechanic fix it for her in Nigeria at a cheap price - For a start, who wants to use a car for yearssss in the first place? if am going to use a car in Nigeria for 3 years before disposing it, even God know say i know fit spend 100k on break pads alone within that 3 years before disposing.

- Another person said she should not convert the dollars, that it is because she is converting the dollars, that is why it is looking big in her eye. - OOOOOOOhhhhh, so now dollar/naira conversion should not be used? when they are boasting the save $2,000 a month and convert it to naira, it sound s good and big but hen we tell them not to because 11 months out of 12 in a year, you will be in abroad, spend, rent, school etc in abroad and should be calculating and relating based on your environment and not what your savings can do in far away Nigeria that you se less than a month in a year, they will say we are hating. ...Okay ooooo
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 8:46am On Sep 25, 2022
Jonifi:

grin grin grin
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 8:48am On Sep 25, 2022
APCnaPDP:
Nobody charges you that to change brake pads. Highest will be $600 and that will be considered expensive. Stop lying

That is still quite high.

The highest i will do my break pad with Sir K. (my roadside mechanic) is 20/25k max compared to $600=400k
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by onilanre(m): 8:55am On Sep 25, 2022
Online begging has taken over nairaland.

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Realguyman1(m): 8:56am On Sep 25, 2022
henryobinna:
Bro chill, you're using this opportunity to vent your anger on her.

You shouldn't be angry or blame her because if you've been paying attention on social media lately you'd notice many people both in Nigeria and outside Nigeria share virtually every detail of their life with people on social media, whatever the reasons are is not what I'm concerned with. But it's actually normal for someone to share such details today on the internet, especially if they've been sharing other similar detail.

Another thing to note is that, she likely moved overseas very recently, so she is shocked at the amount she has to pay for such 'minor' fixes on her care. It's the more reason she felt compelled to share.

I'm not justifying her actions as I don't care much, I'm just trying to give you an idea of a reason.
At the bolded bro, for her to just get there and buy a car, means she was doing extremely well in Nigeria before she went there. So why going to stay in another's man country and start complaining, when u were already doing well in ur country that the bills are very cheap?

At least the internet have helped us all know that cost of living are very high over there in the west, so she knows what she was putting her into from day one. Then why now trying to create attention and trying to discourage others from going?

If u checked, u will see that she wasn't sharing any details about herself with her tweet there. She was only seeking attention and as well trying to discourage others that have the intentions of going there too.

If she was only trying to share details about herself, then why will she start with japa nation how far, with a laughing emoji on it?

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by puplin(f): 9:14am On Sep 25, 2022
I don't know what is wrong with us in diaspora. Stop converting your expenses from Pounds or Dollars to Naira, you don't earn in Naira so what is the issue! If it $1800 is convenient for you to pay it simply means you earn well enough in $. You should then show us how much you earn daily/weekly after converting to Naira.

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by bfn1: 9:15am On Sep 25, 2022
EgunMogaji2:
This is sheer lies for sensationalism.

Where’s the receipt? Where’s the authorization form from $40 to $figment?
Thank you chief. I can trust your opinion for reality check.

There's more to that cost than just brake pads.

2 Likes

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Codes151(m): 9:16am On Sep 25, 2022
Is this to make us feel bad?
Are you sure it was just brake pad.
What does she know about her car?

She should post the receipt.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Enyimbamercedes: 9:18am On Sep 25, 2022
Thing is when boda Sulaimon and Kazeem check your brakes, they cost you more in the long run. They put on fake brake pads that eventually leave grooves in your brake rotors. They don’t torque the wheel nuts evenly or in the correct sequence which end up warping your rotors then you start having a car that wobbles when you hit the brakes… boda sulaimon doesn’t have a torque wrench
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:19am On Sep 25, 2022
Jonifi:
Did you see where she mentioned Naira there?
Abi them tell you say e dey easy to earn the dollars sef
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 9:19am On Sep 25, 2022
inoki247:
lol what I know is with the surge in Japa e go soon clear in most of dem eyes...

Almost everyone around me lately don run comot for country I come dey wonder no be outside wey I discover say e no dey for me...

Well some of dem don dey message me dey du testimony sha...

How can I gada 10 to 5 million in this Country wey we dey complain say e bad in oda to goan slave in another man's country just because I want to av access to good infrastructure and good environment...

Mak dem no worry I go dey manage awa bad environment like dat traveling out no dey for everybody apart from vacation I'm not intrested....

grin

Bro pls stop this vavulence
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Tunagee(m): 9:22am On Sep 25, 2022
Focusmind:
It doesn't change anything, we will still japa according to most Nigerians grin

But on the second thought, why do most Nigerians abroad always try to discourage folks back home from traveling abroad? Even some well to do people here also don't like to hear that one struggling fellow or brother is about to leave for greener pastures.

Bros, na becos you never travel out to those countries they make you think they are discouraging you. The truth is that they are very correct. It's not easy over there whether you believe it or not.

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Jonifi(m): 9:22am On Sep 25, 2022
NOETHNICITY:
Did you see where she mentioned Naira there?
Abi them tell you say e dey easy to earn the dollars sef
u need common sense. She from Nigeria that why she complaining

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:24am On Sep 25, 2022
Realguyman1:
She earns in dollars, so why is she disturbing the media now? Or is she earning in naira and spending in dollar?

The rate at which most senseless Africans go seeking for senseless attentions this days ehn, the thing tire me o. After going through a lot just to get their visa, they will now get there and start spilling rubbish. For her to be using a car over there in Yankee already indicates she is not among the struggling Nigerians over there. So why don't she comes back home and start a business for herself here in Nigeria, so that she will not be paying heavy bills.

No body force her to be there in the first place. No body knows when she was disturbing their embassy over here in Nigeria seeking and begging them for visa. Now, that she has what she want, she now feels she can spill rubbish. If she knows she doesn't want to spend in dollar, she can come back to Nigeria and spend in naira peacefully.

We are here in Nigeria thinking about how to make sure the right person get into power in next year election, and some dumb dunce over there in Yankee are busy disturbing us with their senselessness.

Nonsenses everywhere
But why the thing dey pain you? Must you comment on the issue? Did she bring to matter to your page?
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by Ashirioluwa: 9:25am On Sep 25, 2022
Nollywood joke
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 9:36am On Sep 25, 2022
phemocheee:
I spent about $750 (workmanship Inclusive) to change by brake pads and rotors. OEM products are very expensive.

However, the truth is that I won't be changing the pads or rotors again for at least 4 to 5 years...That's the difference.

$750 is about 500k now.
If I buy tokunbo car, infact if I buy Nigerian used car and decide to use it for 3 years, I won’t change my break pads with Sir K. More than 30k per year assuming I am using fake pads here in nigeria.

That is about 100k in 3 years but the truth is, since have been using cars all my life, have never changed break pads more than once in 2 years.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 9:40am On Sep 25, 2022
Headachetoigboh:
Why she convert am?
Is naira and dollar thesame value?
Ok, cheapest Canada colleges collect $10k yearly which Nigerian public university will u pay over 3 miilion for 1st year.
Na so I be. Na their money so stop converting it,u go beg BP oooo

No be so I go but I pack of spices they say $100. I mumu go convert am. I wan craze. Something wey no reach 5k for Hausa market in Nigeria.Stop converting my sister

But abroad people are fun of converting their saving in naira to feel good and better than those at home now.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by emmaodet: 9:53am On Sep 25, 2022
alcuin:

The average job in the USA is 60k USD per annum except you are into STEM disciplines.

In Canada, its about 90k CAD$.

People who earn 15k monthly, thats about 180k yearly, are not average.

Note, these figures are before taxes.

Please enlighten me.
Let’s use the average job salary as a reference - $60k/year.
What will be the tax? House rent on average for the year? Possible average savings per year?
Are you based in abroad also or just hearsay? So as know the validity of your information.
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by BigBashiru: 9:57am On Sep 25, 2022
delzbaba:
its only rational reasoning that when you buy an expensive car to show off, then forget about the future maintenance cost you will shed hot tears, the average whiteman will go for his ford or truck ,, while my naija people will get there and buy benz.

You glorify the western European savages.... the only reason the average white man buys Ford r truck is due to their poverty

1 Like

Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by einsteine(m): 10:05am On Sep 25, 2022
Why put naira in the post title? Do they spend naira abroad?
Re: I Was Charged $1840 (₦800,000) To Change Brake Pads - Lady Cries Out by DeOTR: 10:35am On Sep 25, 2022
Crysallis:
This complain for sympathy is unnecessary. These people earn at least $15k monthly.
No be only. She dey work for Google?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Creative Ways That Car Owners Transformed Their Car Dents (pics) / The Green-White-Green Car Spotted In A School In Kebbi State (Photos) / Things That Happen on BRT Buses

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.