Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? (28205 Views)

Have You Encountered Similar Situations? Please Share Your Thoughts. / What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share / How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Bwilliam(m): 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:
In my own case, my boss didn't really treat me bad until the last day. I gave him three months notice and he felt I would change my mind before the expiration of the three months. He begged me through proxies to stay. One month passed, two months passed and at the end of the third month, on the very last day, he hired thugs to manhandle me. I started recording the whole show and told them that the very moment they touch me, I will go live. When they saw I was ready to push the video to Facebook, they retreated and told my boss to allow me go in peace. That was how I left in peace.

WTF. A whole 3 months notice. What kind of work is that?

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by jclassiq(m): 2:28pm On Sep 27, 2022
I wonder if this is a Nigerian factor.

The best way as a staffer to avoid such awkward situation is to just try and be diplomatic about your exit -- perhaps conceal some details and just give them the surface. Some people even have to tell a lie.

It's sad.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by macho44(m): 2:32pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:
In my own case, my boss didn't really treat me bad until the last day. I gave him three months notice and he felt I would change my mind before the expiration of the three months. He begged me through proxies to stay. One month passed, two months passed and at the end of the third month, on the very last day, he hired thugs to manhandle me. I started recording the whole show and told them that the very moment they touch me, I will go live. When they saw I was ready to push the video to Facebook, they retreated and told my boss to allow me go in peace. That was how I left in peace.

Did you work for EMILOKAN? grin grin grin
He's synonymous with THUGGERY cheesy cheesy cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Soknown: 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
Threesha:

Have you ever encountered such? How did you handleit?
I can relate with this, back then I was working for a ' big' player in the healthcare industry ( The first EMS company in Nigeria). I was in the operations department and in the midst of a deep pocket project ( I was handling the health screening for this big football academy that has affiliation with the Catalans).
The man at the top wanted to draft me into marketing. I kept saying No. When the pressure was too much, I decided to quit. I was on annual leave when I made the decision. I gave the company 1 month notice, but the man said it wasn't enough.

I gave my resignation letter to the HR manager, he was surprised but he understood my reasons. He told me to discuss with the boss. So I went to the Boss's office to book appointment but because it was me, the secretary was bold to ask him if he wants to see me directly based on my resignation letter. He said, no. 'He does not want to see me at all' . The Secretary fought back tears as she told me.

I went back to the HR manager, I told him. I will bring another letter of resignation with immediate effect. He opened his mouth, thought I was joking. I went downstairs to type the new resignation letter, I sent out notice of resignation with immediate effect to all my colleagues and managers via email.

I walked back upstairs to the HR, he collected the letter, looked at it, looked back at me and said Mr X, we should not allow you to go like this. He stood up, wanting to go back to the boss with the letter again. I said no, but he pleaded with me. He came back later feeling dejected and sorry. I told him to sign off on the letter.

I took my copy of the signed resignation letter to IT and account departments to sign off as well. I submitted all company paraphernalia. I left as a human being, a living soul.

All the top echelon of the workforce left that company within six months. The HR manager left two months after I left.

I got a very good job in the same month, A Toyota sponsored Hospital in Lagos, when I left this hospital, it was all love, cakes, hugs and kisses. #MYEXPERIENCE.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Kobicove(m): 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
It depends mostly on the company, most well structured company do not do this.

However, you should be aware that once and employee hands in his resignation there are some information about the company he should no longer be privy to

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by BigBen23(m): 2:37pm On Sep 27, 2022
Threesha:
Some companies treat their staff wrongly once they hand in resignation letters...

If an employee decides to move on, do not treat them unfairly during the notice period. Most organizations struggle with this aspect and they need to do better!

They use this period to humiliate and treat the exiting staff unfairly. Forgetting that the exiting employee is an ambassador of the organization if he/she is treated properly.

It is sad to see talents leave. Instead of handling it meanly, use the exit interview to understand why the staff is leaving, understand his/her motivations, and check if there is an alignment of the staff’s aspirations with the goals of the organization. Once this is done, it will help you know how to hire and retain employees in the future.

I have spoken with a lot of guys and most have poor experiences during their exit period. Organizations can do better in managing and handling this sensitive aspect of staff offboarding..

As a leader/HR personnel in an organization, if an employee hands in his/her resignation, you can do this:

1. First, take a moment to digest the news.
2. Notice and manage any in-the-moment reactions.
3. Depersonalize the news. Do away with any emotional reaction.
4. Be curious and show a growth mindset.
5. Show your support.
6. Thank them for their hard work during the time they've been with you. Wish them best wishes for continued success.
7. Ask for what you need.

When an individual gives notice, they likely have a desired end date in mind. After all, they will want to take a break before diving into a new job. Get alignment on what they need and what you need from them before they leave to ensure a smooth transition. It may involve some give and take and could include finishing a specific project or set of tasks, training others to take over these responsibilities to minimize disruption, or even hiring their replacement.

Someone giving notice doesn’t have to be the end of the world or the end of a relationship. As surprised as you may be, using the seven strategies above can help you respond in a constructive way that builds the relationship and helps all parties move on positively.

Have you ever encountered such? How did you handle it?

Oxygen Holiday and Resorts no pay me.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by solomoni87(m): 2:40pm On Sep 27, 2022
Mandesz:
Even peter obi never let atiku/pdp knew he's exiting. Inspite of this, Renoceros, dinosaur never change attacking him.
Be Obidient !
you guys now seem constitute nuisance on social media these days with your obi this, obi that. Does the post relate to politics in any way. I wonder what would become of you if obi do nt win

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Patriottt: 2:48pm On Sep 27, 2022
No be your papa get Nairaland..
solomoni87:
you guys now seem constitute nuisance on social media these days with your obi this, obi that. Does the post relate to politics in any way. I wonder what would become of you if obi do nt win

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Exxxgeee: 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2022
lavylilly:
Yes, the last one wanted to play a smart one by not paying me. My lawyers handled it, in less than 48 hours after my last day if work alert enter
but u sell ofada rice.. Are u nw ashamed of ur hustle
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by GardenOfGod(m): 3:08pm On Sep 27, 2022
Mandesz:
Even peter obi never let atiku/pdp knew he's exiting. Inspite of this, Renoceros, dinosaur never change attacking him.
Be Obidient !
Here's what Atiku has to say about Obi the Special One.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by anochuko01(m): 3:27pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:
What the actual hell?!

Three months notice period?! Isn't that too much?!

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 3:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
A good one.

One of the well-delivered thread on Nairaland in a long time, something tells me that the person behind those content is level-headed...

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Lionize: 3:32pm On Sep 27, 2022
Nigerian employers don't deserve any courtesy. I turned my resignation from abroad, na dem come dey beg me to do am well.

If you give them notice, it is a time for you to also do Shakira, don't let anyone treat you anyhow. Then you can invoke all your rights according to the company policy, because now no threat should scare you. The bosses used to be like "I'll sack you". Now you should be like, "oga make the sack come now abeg".

No go kii yourself for these employers who don't value you, who only think they are doing you a favor by keeping you. Nigerian employers are social demons, I detest most of them, especially local ones.

If I give you resignation notice, I don turn to king be that na. If you wan force me do any official thing I go sick by force go hospital go take bed. Nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
My experience was brutal, it was with a Nigerian owned food and beverage company, they are big player but still a one man business. Immediately I told my boss I want to resign, I wrote the letter through my HOD to the HR, then the HOD then said I need to see my team leader first, next thing he started asking me why and when I started thinking of leaving, I told him not so long, told me to add I'm leaving due to personal reason, then next he put query on my resignation letter.

I asked why did he put query on my resignation letter then he started saying some personal stuffs like how I didn't pick his call on one weekend I can't even remember, how something happened during production that isn't related to my job discription.

That moment I knew I can't give notice, he will use me as a scapegoat for all his shortcoming, I told the HR that my leaving will be immediate, HR asked why I just told him nothing, that I'm just moving on. They filed the query with my resignation letter.

I left everything to God, some boss can't handle their subordinate moving for a better prospect or quitting because they themselves don't have the gut to do it. It was a great experience anyway.

I have learnt that at work place you must be very political in every relationship, you have no friends, it's a game of dog eat dog. Only talk when you are asked to talk and say little and in everything let silence be your goal, someone somewhere is noting everything you say and it might be used against you in the future.

Till now my old work mate still monitors my movement and want to know how am doing to template and metric their self worth. It's best to keep work for work and friends for friends.

People that move up the lather in a work environment are people that share little to nothing about themselves, let it be your goal that the only thing your colleague at work knows about you is your name and probably what you do at work, your academic background, family, what you do outside work should be something like a long research for them, be discreet.

Because I can't give a month notice again due to the situation, I paid back one month basic salary along with the remaining leave allowance. One of the best decision I ever took.

10 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Tgb1: 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2022
No
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 27, 2022
jclassiq:
I wonder if this is a Nigerian factor.

The best way as a staffer to avoid such awkward situation is to just try and be diplomatic about your exit -- perhaps conceal some details and just give them the surface. Some people even have to tell a lie.

It's sad.
That's the best way, anything you say will be used against you. Let say you are leaving because of unfair abuse and treatment from a boss, they might say you are rude etc. One of my good boss back then resigned and said he want to take a political position in his hometown back then but moved to a rivalry company, I laughed back then but later realize myself it was a smart move. You own nobody why you are leaving, just do what's best for you and your career.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by fykes(m): 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2022
Well it's different strokes for different folks...my company organizes a celebration day for everyone's last day of work.
But they never compromise on the one month offboarding thing

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ramaju: 4:06pm On Sep 27, 2022
Nsonaso:
Ha, I don't understand. I thought if you hand in your resignation letter to HR, you're supposed to use the door and kiss the organization good bye.

The unfair treatment is it when they meet on the road or shopping mall or where?
No, you give three month notice or you kiss one month's salary bye. The issue is within the notice period not on the road or shopping mall.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by GerraMeh74(m): 4:08pm On Sep 27, 2022
Private Organizations especially a one man business handle this very poorly,when I informed the company of my decision to stop,a special body guard was assigned to me saying who knows what I might do before I stop, I jejely decided not to submit any resignation letter ,month ended I jejely stopped. The best decision ever

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 4:20pm On Sep 27, 2022
Well-done bro, those are not real thugs.
iHart:
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 4:22pm On Sep 27, 2022
Some organizations will specify when you can leave after resignation in their contract.
Nsonaso:
Ha, I don't understand. I thought if you hand in your resignation letter to HR, you're supposed to use the door and kiss the organization good bye.

The unfair treatment is it when they meet on the road or shopping mall or where?
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Olujuwon2(m): 4:23pm On Sep 27, 2022
Threesha:
Some companies treat their staff wrongly once they hand in resignation letters...

If an employee decides to move on, do not treat them unfairly during the notice period. Most organizations struggle with this aspect and they need to do better!

They use this period to humiliate and treat the exiting staff unfairly. Forgetting that the exiting employee is an ambassador of the organization if he/she is treated properly.

It is sad to see talents leave. Instead of handling it meanly, use the exit interview to understand why the staff is leaving, understand his/her motivations, and check if there is an alignment of the staff’s aspirations with the goals of the organization. Once this is done, it will help you know how to hire and retain employees in the future.

I have spoken with a lot of guys and most have poor experiences during their exit period. Organizations can do better in managing and handling this sensitive aspect of staff offboarding..

As a leader/HR personnel in an organization, if an employee hands in his/her resignation, you can do this:

1. First, take a moment to digest the news.
2. Notice and manage any in-the-moment reactions.
3. Depersonalize the news. Do away with any emotional reaction.
4. Be curious and show a growth mindset.
5. Show your support.
6. Thank them for their hard work during the time they've been with you. Wish them best wishes for continued success.
7. Ask for what you need.

When an individual gives notice, they likely have a desired end date in mind. After all, they will want to take a break before diving into a new job. Get alignment on what they need and what you need from them before they leave to ensure a smooth transition. It may involve some give and take and could include finishing a specific project or set of tasks, training others to take over these responsibilities to minimize disruption, or even hiring their replacement.
Jeez

Someone giving notice doesn’t have to be the end of the world or the end of a relationship. As surprised as you may be, using the seven strategies above can help you respond in a constructive way that builds the relationship and helps all parties move on positively.

Have you ever encountered such? How did you handle it?
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Shadysen: 5:01pm On Sep 27, 2022
Chizzyjforce:
No. I don't resign from jobs, I get sacked. undecided undecided undecided
likewise

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Shadysen: 5:03pm On Sep 27, 2022
am always sacked

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ford101: 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2022
Chizzyjforce:
No. I don't resign from jobs, I get sacked. undecided undecided undecided
your own is even good.me from suspension then I ll run away.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by jclassiq(m): 5:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
JoshTheStoic:
That's the best way, anything you say will be used against you. Let say you are leaving because of unfair abuse and treatment from a boss, they might say you are rude etc. One of my good boss back then resigned and said he want to take a political position in his hometown back then but moved to a rivalry company, I laughed back then but later realize myself it was a smart move. You own nobody why you are leaving, just do what's best for you and your career.
Exactly!
I used the same tactic when i worked in Abuja. I had to tell a lie not because i was concerned about needing them for reference later on, but because i needed them to pay me what they owed me. Coincidentally, it happened that the manager then was an easy going man that respected me a lot. He gave me his word, and i left in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Starz825(m): 5:37pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:
Na by force...
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Starz825(m): 5:39pm On Sep 27, 2022
spy24:

You be hit man ? grin grin
Abi grin
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 27, 2022
jclassiq:

Exactly!
I used the same tactic when i worked in Abuja. I had to tell a lie not because i was concerned about needing them for reference later on, but because i needed them to pay me what they owed me. Coincidentally, it happened that the manager then was an easy going man that respected me a lot. He gave me his word, and i left in peace.
It's a trap when they tell you to say your mind or tell them places to improve, most people clamour for truth but they can't handle it when they hear it. A friend recently wanted to stop working at a place of work, I told her to just tell them she is traveling to her hometown to continue her family business as her grandmom is wary and tired. No one will question her further

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ultimate77(m): 5:59pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:

This no go pass south west. Does Tinubu have hand in the company? Lol
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ultimate77(m): 6:03pm On Sep 27, 2022
Soknown:

I can relate with this, back then I was working for a ' big' player in the healthcare industry ( The first EMS company in Nigeria). I was in the operations department and in the midst of a deep pocket project ( I was handling the health screening for this big football academy that has affiliation with the Catalans).
The man at the top wanted to draft me into marketing. I kept saying No. When the pressure was too much, I decided to quit. I was on annual leave when I made the decision. I gave the company 1 month notice, but the man said it wasn't enough.

I gave my resignation letter to the HR manager, he was surprised but he understood my reasons. He told me to discuss with the boss. So I went to the Boss's office to book appointment but because it was me, the secretary was bold to ask him if he wants to see me directly based on my resignation letter. He said, no. 'He does not want to see me at all' . The Secretary fought back tears as she told me.

I went back to the HR manager, I told him. I will bring another letter of resignation with immediate effect. He opened his mouth, thought I was joking. I went downstairs to type the new resignation letter, I sent out notice of resignation with immediate effect to all my colleagues and managers via email.

I walked back upstairs to the HR, he collected the letter, looked at it, looked back at me and said Mr X, we should not allow you to go like this. He stood up, wanting to go back to the boss with the letter again. I said no, but he pleaded with me. He came back later feeling dejected and sorry. I told him to sign off on the letter.

I took my copy of the signed resignation letter to IT and account departments to sign off as well. I submitted all company paraphernalia. I left as a human being, a living soul.

All the top echelon of the workforce left that company within six months. The HR manager left two months after I left.

I got a very good job in the same month, A Toyota sponsored Hospital in Lagos, when I left this hospital, it was all love, cakes, hugs and kisses. #MYEXPERIENCE.

You are a good man. If the HR can do this... Out of 10 HRs 8 dey wicked. Reason why I hate to be an employee

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Soknown: 6:10pm On Sep 27, 2022
ultimate77:

You are a good man. If the HR can do this... Out of 10 HRs 8 dey wicked. Reason why I hate to be an employee
I have had the opportunity of working with exceptionally good HR managers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2021 Nigerian Customs Recruitment / My Experience With UBA Bank Aptitude Test Today / NDLEA 2019 Recruitment: Buhari Approves Recruitment Of 5,000 Personnel For NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.