Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,364 members, 7,954,475 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:56 PM

Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? (28682 Views)

Have You Encountered Similar Situations? Please Share Your Thoughts. / What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share / How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by OvertheTop(m): 6:12pm On Sep 27, 2022
Shadysen:
am always sacked

why?
on what basis?
Do you normally expect it?
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ultimate77(m): 6:14pm On Sep 27, 2022
Soknown:

I have had the opportunity of working with exceptionally good HR managers.

That's really grace. More grace for exploit bro.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Polyol(m): 7:03pm On Sep 27, 2022
My exit was something else.

On my contract letter, it was indicated that I should give a one month notice. I played by their rules and gave them only for them to insist that I stay an extra one month grin

I kuku get strong-head, I didn't gree. Las las I gave them extra one week and those management refused to give me my entitled production allowance as it's supposed to be and surcharged me for being absent even after I successfully proved it to them that I was present on the said day. HRO response was that there's nothing that can be done about it since payroll has been concluded grin. Just like that my payment was deducted for two working days as it's the culture of the company to always double deduction when the absentee doesn't inform the management prior to him or her being absent.

My line manager paid me the deduction from his pocket since I already agreed to stay extra one week that I won't be paid for in order to transit smoothly to my replacement.

My last days with them were hell. I was just holding tight so I don't explode and it'll now be looking like it's cos I'll be leaving. I gave them my all in this period even if it seems I'll have to work two days work in one day.

I've not reached out to any of them since I left in January and I'm happy they're in my past now. I own my fashion shop and I'll say it pays more and better as I don't have to work against my will if not for some one or two days I go customer draught and they troop in later on.

Self employment is not easy I won't lie. If having a craft is this difficult, I can't imagine quiting a job and going into buying n selling or job hunting.

Comfort zone is draining too. Sometimes taking the bull by the horns does it better.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Equiano: 7:03pm On Sep 27, 2022
Sent in my resignation letter on a Friday evening copying all the HODs and HR with a month's notice. Next Monday my unit head called me for a meeting, as we were discussing, he said: I don't give a damn, am going to fast forward your replacement process". Immediately, I replied: "I don't give a damn either" and walked out from the meeting. I sent another resignation letter with immediate effect, collected my exit sign out and interview from HR and paid them off. Bunch of jokers that doesn't value what they have. I used the few weeks in between to do professional certifications and passed 3 out of 4, which I used for a renegotiation with my current employer for triple wages and benefits than where I came from. Moral: Know your worth and be the best in what you do.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nsonaso(m): 7:11pm On Sep 27, 2022
ramaju:
No, you give three month notice or you kiss one month's salary bye. The issue is within the notice period not on the road or shopping mall.

LoL, the person never ready to leave. After collecting salary for September I resigned first week of October.

So the person want to still collect October salary? Make him kuku continue working na if he/she must collect every penny

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by ramaju: 7:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
Nsonaso:

LoL, the person never ready to leave. After collecting salary for September I resigned first week of October.

So the person want to still collect October salary? Make him kuku continue working na if he/she must collect every penny
This is normally captured in your appointment letter and people usually try to abide by those terms in case he/she gets a new job in another company that will warrant verification of his/her job history, make dey no come fall hand. This is mostly applicable in well structured companies. You can Get sued.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Robisky001(m): 7:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
When God gives you the next opportunity, move.
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 27, 2022
Soknown:

I can relate with this, back then I was working for a ' big' player in the healthcare industry ( The first EMS company in Nigeria). I was in the operations department and in the midst of a deep pocket project ( I was handling the health screening for this big football academy that has affiliation with the Catalans).
The man at the top wanted to draft me into marketing. I kept saying No. When the pressure was too much, I decided to quit. I was on annual leave when I made the decision. I gave the company 1 month notice, but the man said it wasn't enough.

I gave my resignation letter to the HR manager, he was surprised but he understood my reasons. He told me to discuss with the boss. So I went to the Boss's office to book appointment but because it was me, the secretary was bold to ask him if he wants to see me directly based on my resignation letter. He said, no. 'He does not want to see me at all' . The Secretary fought back tears as she told me.

I went back to the HR manager, I told him. I will bring another letter of resignation with immediate effect. He opened his mouth, thought I was joking. I went downstairs to type the new resignation letter, I sent out notice of resignation with immediate effect to all my colleagues and managers via email.

I walked back upstairs to the HR, he collected the letter, looked at it, looked back at me and said Mr X, we should not allow you to go like this. He stood up, wanting to go back to the boss with the letter again. I said no, but he pleaded with me. He came back later feeling dejected and sorry. I told him to sign off on the letter.

I took my copy of the signed resignation letter to IT and account departments to sign off as well. I submitted all company paraphernalia. I left as a human being, a living soul.

All the top echelon of the workforce left that company within six months. The HR manager left two months after I left.

I got a very good job in the same month, A Toyota sponsored Hospital in Lagos, when I left this hospital, it was all love, cakes, hugs and kisses. #MYEXPERIENCE.
What some HR or Boss don't understand is that we meet to part and we part to meet. Just because you and someone is working now doesn't mean you will work together forever, some get unnecessarily attached to the point it becomes toxic, that's why most bosses misbehave, if you know this person working under you can move up the rank in another company and becomes your boss, you would be humble. Someone can be working under you today and leaves the company to be a boss at NAFDAC/SON or other governing body and come to inspect his old company, your company as part of his job. One should always leave room for future meetings and not burn bridges just because you don't want to let go of a good worker

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by iHart(m): 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2022
anochuko01:

What the actual hell?!

Three months notice period?! Isn't that too much?!
That's the company policy. You need to give three months notice so that the company can get a replacement and you will have enough time to put the person through. And if within the period, the new person leaves, there will still be time to recruit and train another person. You can actually leave immediately, but I wanted to be gentle man.
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by iHart(m): 8:24pm On Sep 27, 2022
macho44:

Did you work for EMILOKAN? grin grin grin
He's synonymous with THUGGERY cheesy cheesy cheesy
You may be shocked to know that it's in Sout East and the company is owned by an Igbo man

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by emmyluizzz: 8:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
Boldtrust:
As soon as I announced my resignation, my former employer went from a friendly boss to a devious vicious man overnight. He was owing me 3 months salary. I dragged him to the Citizens Mediation Center but had to let it go. After 5 moths, they were still struggling to get a replacement for me. He called to ask if I can work for him on a 3 month contract, I humbly declined. A few months later, the company folded up. Most employers are horrible to their employees. That's the awful truth.

na lie

how will a whole company fold because of one person
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by iHart(m): 8:29pm On Sep 27, 2022
Bwilliam:

WTF. A whole 3 months notice. What kind of work is that?
it's a pharmaceutical company. I was the manager and doubled as the Quality Control Manager. The Job needs experience and its the company policy that any senior staff gives a three months notice before leaving so they can get a replacement you can put through before leaving. The company can actually send you on a training but the last time they tried it, the manager left from the training place to a bigger firm in Lagos. In my own case, they didn't send me in a training, the brought the consultant down to the company to train me. Most people before me left unannounced but I wanted to act like a gentle man I am
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by snoopz: 8:31pm On Sep 27, 2022
My candid advice? 1. Be sure your step is secured 2. Collect your salary before tendering that resignation letter

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by iHart(m): 8:33pm On Sep 27, 2022
spy24:

You be hit man ? grin grin
grin grin no oh. Those guys were really hefty and big. I was scared and I started sounding polite and reasoning with them. Then I told them my name, and started asking them their own names, funny enough they mentioned their names thinking my hand don calm down. After getting their names on record, I showed them the phone and started shouting that if anyone come close, I will just post the video to Facebook. They all weak, even my boss. I just walked out gently and left.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by edosignature(m): 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2022
Thanks for this educative post.
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by donem: 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2022
The last job I resigned, base on the terms of my employment, I was supposed to give one month notification prior to resigning, but I just entered MD office dropped my resignation letter and left that same day.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by macho44(m): 9:05pm On Sep 27, 2022
iHart:
You may be shocked to know that it's in Sout East and the company is owned by an Igbo man
Damn Bro!
That was callous on his PART, and you were smart enough to BAIT them in, else something unpleasant might have happened. Cheers to your VICTORY grin

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Osombo: 11:22pm On Sep 27, 2022
It's now history for some of us, took HR a week before acknowledging the resignation, though our Boss then called within 24hrs of the news and asked what's it, knowing fully well countless times staff complain of pay, useless processes and over micromanaging, monkey dey work baboon dey chop, no growth. Toxic work environment should be avoided like plague. Top MGT themselves won't hesitate to leave ooo if given opportunity cos of the no future of the place they rendered yet don't want U to leave.

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Boldtrust(m): 12:59am On Sep 28, 2022
emmyluizzz:

na lie

how will a whole company fold because of one person
LOL. Poor management and structure contributed. And heck yeah, I was giving the support it needed as a key player at a crucial time. Trust me, there are employees you don't want to lose (depending on the structure and size of your company).
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 28, 2022
Osombo:
It's now history for some of us, took HR a week before acknowledging the resignation, though our Boss then called within 24hrs of the news and asked what's it, knowing fully well countless times staff complain of pay, useless processes and over micromanaging, monkey dey work baboon dey chop, no growth. Toxic work environment should be avoided like plague. Top MGT themselves won't hesitate to leave ooo if given opportunity cos of the no future of the place they rendered yet don't want U to leave.
Honestly, I hate micromanagement, imagine a boss preferring you to be posting every minute on the WhatsApp group than you on the field doing the actual job. Can't be updating you when I have so much to do, when a leader is incompetent the whole process become toxic. I started working for a multinational and the pay wasn't really up to but I gained experience, learnt how a standard environment should be, when they give one task to do, they will tell you that you are the one to give them the time you will complete it and you will update them if you can't complete it at set time so you can be assisted if need be to speed the process. My orientation changed, I finally realized I was stagnant in learning. What I learnt under 2 month, I haven't learnt it in 4 years at my previous one man business

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Osombo: 8:08am On Sep 28, 2022
U are right; Field staff needs free hand, most top management are opportunists who don't value staff that give their best. They rather use the staff results to take glory. Then line manager asked me to trained ma replacement which wasn't part of ma job as there was dept that but ended up showing me clearly he wanted using me. He ended up bad mouthing me in ma new organisation but time revealed who he was cos I was told. Me I don't asslick.
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 28, 2022
Osombo:
U are right; Field staff needs free hand, most top management are opportunists who don't value staff that give their best. They rather use the staff results to take glory. Then line manager asked me to trained ma replacement which wasn't part of ma job as there was dept that but ended up showing me clearly he wanted using me. He ended up bad mouthing me in ma new organisation but time revealed who he was cos I was told. Me I don't asslick.
Same thing mine wanted to do, asking me where I wanted to exit to, said I must tell him the company after which he then put query on my resignation letter. Funny thing about training people is that I trained most of their new worker a year before I left, I noticed they will always attach me to new guys and once the guy becomes experience they will remove him from my shift and bring in another new or inexperienced guy from another shift.

Then they will always complain about my shift in which I hardly do errors as if they have been waiting for it. Other shift will have 4 experience guys while my shift will only have 1 or 2 experienced people and most time 2 newbies which means big workload. Then I later found out they were using me to train people.

Fast forward to 6 month before I left I stopped teaching people secret that makes me stand out. I noticed once you make people know the secret of how you do work smoothly and flawless with no error you become common and you will be easily discarded. You must always stay relevant at work place and most important of all, be very political in all your dealings.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by lavylilly: 11:50am On Sep 28, 2022
JoshTheStoic:
Same thing mine wanted to do, asking me where I wanted to exit to, said I must tell him the company after which he then put query on my resignation letter. Funny thing about training people is that I trained most of their new worker a year before I left, I noticed they will always attach me to new guys and once the guy becomes experience they will remove him from my shift and bring in another new or inexperienced guy from another shift.

Then they will always complain about my shift in which I hardly do errors as if they have been waiting for it. Other shift will have 4 experience guys while my shift will only have 1 or 2 experienced people and most time 2 newbies which means big workload. Then I later found out they were using me to train people.

Fast forward to 6 month before I left I stopped teaching people secret that makes me stand out. I noticed once you make people know the secret of how you do work smoothly and flawless with no error you become common and you will be easily discarded. You must always stay relevant at work place and most important of all, be very political in all your dealings.
I don't understand the bolded.
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by lavylilly: 12:01pm On Sep 28, 2022
Exxxgeee:
but u sell ofada rice.. Are u nw ashamed of ur hustle
Read the ofada post very well
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Threesha(f): 12:05pm On Sep 28, 2022
shocked
BigBen23:

Oxygen Holiday and Resorts no pay me.
Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 28, 2022
lavylilly:
I don't understand the bolded.

Don't speak much, let silence be your ultimate goal.

Stay away from office gossip.

Don't praise anybody in their front or behind their back (this looks counterintuitive but take it has it is) e.g. I once praised a good boss, during appraisal he scored the people that doesn't like him well in their annual appraisal to earn their loyalty and scored me badly because he felt I liked him already, the shocker I was his best hand, people he scored well are people I even try to cover for when they make mistake, I always double check what they do. It's politics, he only did that because everyone can't score well, he used me as his scapegoat. So don't even praise anyone, know it in your heart, like Yoruba will say Banuso ma ba eniyan so. You may say how does these affect you, fast forward 3 years they all got promoted and salary was increased 2x while I remained on one place because of my bad annual appraisals

Don't let anyone know who you are outside workplace, what you do, who you meet.

Don't tell people about your personal business, your academic goal, family etc. The day my boss knew I was pursuing masters I became his number 1 enemy, always micromanaging on weekend to see I don't skip or come late to work for weekend class, funny thing is it's online classes and I have never for once missed a work day. To the point everyone started saying at work that I come late on weekend which wasn't true. He must have asked someone who doesn't like me to tail me and he will give him wrong info

No one is your friend, anything you let out because someone is your friend will be used against you one day, be it sharing how you were treated, you will be damned who else your friend shared it with

These are just few, stay political. These new place am working, the only thing they know about me is my name and what I do at work, I'm a mystery to them, and it's hard for anyone to F*CK with me, and you can't hang on any of my word because I think deeply before letting anything out

4 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Osombo: 1:00pm On Sep 28, 2022
Exactly. Thank God U were smart,our line manager was a greedy type that wants all gud things to himself, inflated quotation X2 we gave him and won't inform you until during meeting with top management before he will enter DM wen U innocently tell them what U sent via email, It's easy to retain a gud staff than rehire. The way organisations wants the best for themselves so also employees. It's that simple.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by enonamso(m): 4:21pm On Sep 28, 2022
iHart:
In my own case, my boss didn't really treat me bad until the last day. I gave him three months notice and he felt I would change my mind before the expiration of the three months. He begged me through proxies to stay. One month passed, two months passed and at the end of the third month, on the very last day, he hired thugs to manhandle me. I started recording the whole show and told them that the very moment they touch me, I will go live. When they saw I was ready to push the video to Facebook, they retreated and told my boss to allow me go in peace. That was how I left in peace.

Wow.. Did he pay you?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by iHart(m): 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2022
enonamso:

Wow.. Did he pay you?
He paid but owing to the day I submitted my resignation, the expiry date was few days into a new month. The pay for the days were calculated and paid to me. I gave it out to a distressed junior staff and left. My boss was a good man but very difficult to work with

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Optimistven(m): 11:48pm On Sep 28, 2022
This is the habit of most Nigerian employers.. they think they will be ahead of everyone always

1 Like

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by RIDOO: 9:47am On Sep 29, 2022
JoshTheStoic:

I learnt this in a very hard way..Years back when l was still an employee l was the manager of this particular organization .. Although our CEO was a very wicked and nasty boss but at least l used to manage her in my little way..l was to go for maternity leave n another person was brought in by the same consulting company that brought me in to relieve me.. Don't know maybe cos of where the person is coming from ni o...l downloaded all the experiences l gained over the years to her in 2 weeks... Despite the fact that I parted with part of my salary to gain some of these experiences o,l gained some with tears,some
with insult ,some with query....

She ended up taking up my job with the help of the CEO...by the time l resumed.. l was just packed in one corner like sardine... When l
realized l can't work further l just resigned . Although it was hard cos l didn't plan it but at the same time l won't allow someone to treat me like an empty milk can .

Sometimes issues like that are usually stepping stones.I run same business today n l'm doing well by His grace... while the former company has folded up.lnfact the day l drove pass my former boss l really pity her condition.

No condition is permanent... Just be good to people cos table do turn.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 29, 2022
RIDOO:

I learnt this in a very hard way..Years back when l was still an employee l was the manager of this particular organization .. Although our CEO was a very wicked and nasty boss but at least l used to manage her in my little way..l was to go for maternity leave n another person was brought in by the same consulting company that brought me in to relieve me.. Don't know maybe cos of where the person is coming from ni o...l downloaded all the experiences l gained over the years to her in 2 weeks... Despite the fact that I parted with part of my salary to gain some of these experiences o,l gained some with tears,some
with insult ,some with query....

She ended up taking up my job with the help of the CEO...by the time l resumed.. l was just packed in one corner like sardine... When l
realized l can't work further l just resigned . Although it was hard cos l didn't plan it but at the same time l won't allow someone to treat me like an empty milk can .

Sometimes issues like that are usually stepping stones.I run same business today n l'm doing well by His grace... while the former company has folded up.lnfact the day l drove pass my former boss l really pity her condition.

No condition is permanent... Just be good to people cos table do turn.
Roger that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

50 Million Naira Or Civil Service Job, Which One Will You Choose? / Updated Vacancies 3.0 '20 / Get The Best, Hottest And Most Recent Job Offers And Openings In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.