Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share (13302 Views)

Have You Encountered Such? How Did You Handle It? / How Do You Handle Being Shouted On At Work??? / Npower: Shortlisted Candidates Please Share Your State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by SMJay: 3:54am On Feb 21, 2023
One time I was interviewing for a juicy oil and gas role. I had scaled the first 2 stages and was invited to meet a panel including the CEO to whom I’d be reporting.

As I ran through my lines with my wife on the interview eve, I noticed from her look that something was wrong. Puzzled, I asked: “what’s up?” She kept mute for a while, then grabbed my hands looking me in the eye with palpable compassion and said: “Honey, I know you. And this is not you!”

Now I was broken, my eyes teary as I listened to her analysis of the situation. And she was right. I wasn’t my true self. The 2014 world public speaking champion was short on confidence; in speech, body language and everything. Back-to-back rejections had crushed me to the point that I couldn’t even sell myself to myself. And I didn’t even know it.

My wife then took me on a journey; talking about me to me, reminding me of my prior achievements laced with encouragements. And within minutes, I was on factory reset. Rekindled and full of hope, I felt alive. Like, I could literally jump out of a plane 50,000+ miles in the sky. How she did it remains a mystery even years later. So I just call it The-Damilola-Effect. Then I practiced again. This time, speaking, sounding and acting like my true self. When I was done, she said: “that's my husband!” And well, it rained that night… to God be the glory 😉😀

The interview was a walk in the park. Even the recruitment consultant said I was phenomenal, afterwards. And although I didn't get the job, it was enough that the process restored my confidence, culminating in an even juicier position a few months later.

Werey ni rejection! It can make the most confident person lose faith in themself without them knowing. Please don't let those rejections erode your confidence. Seek help if you need to, and keep pushing. That one YES is all that matters. And sooner than later, you will get it. Amen?

PS: What was your rejection story like; how did you handle it? Please share and let's uplift one another
Copied!

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by DesChyko: 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2023
We've come a long way.

It was during my project defence in final year. My supervisor then was always in UNN, I was schooling at ASUTECH renamed ANSU (now COOU).

You know the normal if you write table of content, bring for approval or disapproval; if you write literature review, bring for approval or disapproval; That was how a Lagos-bred young man from Imo whose parents sent to school in Anambra was just flying up and down and spending excess time in Enugu state on top Project matter.

The date was near, this woman kept dutifully rejecting my work upandan, I kept rewriting and re-presenting; sometimes successful, sometimes I will be sent back to drawing board. 2 days to the Monday and Tuesday we will defend (I will defend on Tuesday) and she was still analysing. That's how I took a chance and started typing my work. Even on the day of the defence, I was still typing. My topic was 'Applications of Complex Analysis'. Diagrams and equations took a lot of time even though the other parts were ready.

My friend came with his bike to pick me to the venue, when the last person before me was on the podium. I packed my unfinished work, manuscript and everything; clad in my suit I borrowed from a heftier friend at IMSU then, and zoomed off to the room. I had not even stepped in when the supervisor screamed "I did not approve this work o". Like WTF!!

I couldn't believe my ears. Was her intention to make me lag behind while others moved on? I approached the panel and explained to them when I started and why I got delayed. They told me to go back to my supervisor. I went back to her, she wouldn't have it. I started pleading. All of this was happening with everyone watching. I was almost losing it; until hope came through with the voice of the HOD who asked if I was confident in what I did. I replied him that every page in this booklet was prepared by me and I don't even need to look at it to remember and he override the supervisor and asked that I present my work then. And present my work, I did.

I think I put on a hell of a show but I remembered clearly, the closing remark by one of the lecturers on the audience. He said "I've listened to all defences from yesterday till today but this is the first work I can actually agree that the student did a thorough job. Well done". The applause and chants of my nickname that followed left me grinning from ear to ear. Needless to say, I was asked to tidy up my work and submit for stamping as a formality, but there is no doubt about the grade on the work.

160 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Hendrixky: 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2023
Hmmmm

It is not easy

Reason people smoke and drink alot
Or womanize

The truth is all these things helps at times

No matter how we try to see them as bad habits

Asour:

So in effect you're endorsing escapism through unhealthy vices?

Why can't we chin up & take the rejections knowing that Life isn't a bed of Roses?
Escapism is the key at times
Even artiste do it alot
Without those vices you can't do some things in life

Yeah you called them unhealthy vices but they are really not unhealthy except you abuse it

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by ecomalchemistt(m): 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2023
Thank God for life , I see work for Oraimo..na so thier chinko wan dey use me do boy boy.

I change am one time, pack my bag Waka for commot.

Didn't know where I was gonna end up , but I'm doing fine doing my own thing.

I no longer feel optimistic or even care about a job due to workplace toxicity , I'll simply leave for both of our sakes.

I deserve better and they deserve (?) Someone that'll actually believe thier aspire to perspire.

Live and let LIVE na ein be better medicine 💊💉.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by seguntravels009(m): 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2023
Ok
Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by mrphysics(m): 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2023
Well for me, rejection is part of life.

Life is all about ups and downs. Successes and failures make up the fabrics of our daily lives. So once I interview for any role and got rejected I see it as a loss to the company or institution and I quickly move on.

No hard feelings.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Nawteemaxie(m): 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2023
Hmm. I scaled the aptitude test with flying colors, and was invited for the interview. Position was an assistant lecturer at COE, Ekiadolor, Edo State. We were quite a handful who made it for the interview stage. The requirement for the position stated either B.SC or B.Ed, so with my 2.1 B.SC I felt good to go. Prepared every way 'preparable' and hit the road that morning.

Got to my turn for the interview and I went in to face the panel of 5. First question while perusing my documents was "Why don't you have an education qualification? How then will you know the basics of teaching?"

I wasn't even allowed to say a word in defense, before I was told to step out of the room. While leaving, I sighted one of the panelists write boldly beside my name "NOT QUALIFIED!" I felt very bad cause I had high hopes for that position, and believed I would have done well if given the opportunity. Coupled with the fact that I travelled all the way from Abuja to Benin the day before for the interview.

It is well tho. I've moved on!

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2023
[quote author=SMJay post=121088225][/quote] My rejection story is : Tinubu will lost the election this weekend to Obis favour

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by ikechukwu150: 1:52pm On Feb 21, 2023
Vote wisely abeg
Vote Peter Obi!!!

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Godada(m): 1:52pm On Feb 21, 2023
cool
Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Adebaba1(m): 1:53pm On Feb 21, 2023
normal level
we just accept it and move on
As long as i am alive and healthy, there is hope

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Salvation2: 1:53pm On Feb 21, 2023
I was poor and my friends who are well placed rejected me based on sentiments. I became rich and accommodated all who helped me and those who had nothing.

When God tested me and took away all my money and turned every of my business upside down, they fled and spoke against me in my back.
God said to me, He is the one who took away all my wealth so that I can focus and serve Him. Secondly, that I should never trust and follow friends again but to maintain peace with all man but focus more on preaching His word.

In the past, REJECTION made me stronger. It made me have a bigger desire to SUCCEED and prove to those who felt I will never succeed that I can actually succeed.

Today, I don't feel rejected despite keeping a small circle of believers as friends because I have the SOURCE, and His name is JESUS CHRIST. Make him ur friend today because humans/friends will fail u when u have problems but Jesus Christ NEVER FAILS!!!

Psalm 118: 8-9
I Corinthians 1:9

Jesus loves u and wants u to make Him ur friend, who will never reject u or look down on u. Repent and be saved today by accepting Jesus Christ as ur Lord and personal saviour. God bless u all.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Youyup: 1:53pm On Feb 21, 2023
Life goes on

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by MITCHELL96: 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2023
Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by superCleanworks(m): 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2023
Rejection is not only for jobseekers.
As a business man, I have been rejected even after sending invoice and waiting for bank alert.

I have found favour in bulk business from even those I have never met before.

so I have learnt to move quickly to the next one. no time to cry. I hope for the best and plan for the worst.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by toluleke(m): 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2023
We all face this once in a lifetime it can be career, relationship. I just try to learn and move on and erase it from my head as not to kill my self confidence which i battered early in life based on past experiences now i go again if it worth it and motivate myself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by trevorlinda: 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2023
Church reject me
Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by fredoooooo: 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2023
Return back same energy and find the like minded people or partner ..No time to waste on negative energy.
In most cases they come back .

1 Like

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by DMCA: 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2023
I asked sisterfire for her vagina but she ignored me.

Now i want to ask leiylau for her Chinese Vagina. I hope she gives me willingly

3 Likes

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Zee0007: 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2023
Mine happened of lately in school. Due to the naira scarcity I begged this koisk at the other lane of my lounge to help me with cabin biscuits and Garri to sustain myself while I make my last transfer of 1k for her.

This woman rejected. She said I must add another 400naira for her to withdraw. I nearly died.

This morning while I was going to the campus, the way I looked at her is still a mystery.

To be a student is not easy. Useless Access bank still had the effontry to withdraw charges for me this afternoon.

I have never be frustrated like yesterday and today.

God send me helper. I no get shishi for hand. My helper, I want die for here....😟😟😟😟😟😟😟

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by AllDModsAreMaad: 1:55pm On Feb 21, 2023
It was a recruitment firm around gbagada close to Charley boy junction that played a fast one on me.

They were contracted to finalize the recruitment process of one multinational company from USA.
I came out top of the list, in my mind I thought I have already gotten the job, unknown to us that the fraudulent firm had another plan. They were grooming another set of job seekers(VIPs i.e those that paid for it) to replace those of us that originally sat for and scaled through the job recruitment test.
I learnt about it when I keep going there to know why we have not been contacted with respect to the job, someone there told me about it, he criticized me for not making moves to secure my slot when I first noticed my name was top of the list.

It was like a movie to me, it took me months, even a year to get over it and years(I got over it fully when I started my own business) to fully get over it.

Thank God for everything. Now, I make whatever they will pay me monthly in a day.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by JackDaAlienz(m): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2023
I did apprentice for a fashion designer a.k.a Tailor. After using and abusing me with errands for months without pay. She rejected me after one misunderstanding.

Few months later, I got a job with task force union via my uncle connect.
One day we were briefed on the buildings that we will mark for demolition and in one of the streets is that tailors shop.
I was so happy that I promised my guys to take them out that evening if they help me vandalize and threaten the tailor.
Omo revenge dey sweet, we mark her whole shop with paint come damage her front roof. We told others they have 29 days to move out but we told her it's 5 days before we demolish her shop.
She was crying begging us the funny thing is she didn't even recognize me until I introduced myself. Omo see begging. That day was too sweet

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Dcaliphate(m): 1:56pm On Feb 21, 2023
sad
Wrote NLNG 2nd test in PH and didn't pass, that was the rejection of my life

4 Likes

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by meum: 1:57pm On Feb 21, 2023
The stone the builders rejected has become the chief corner stone.

How I handled it? I took it as a man.

That is it

6 Likes

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by kellyjc(m): 1:58pm On Feb 21, 2023
G
Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by Sonnobax15(m): 1:58pm On Feb 21, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by xpressionx(m): 1:59pm On Feb 21, 2023
I interviewed for a 500k job, after I passed all the phases,I was rejected on the bases of location.
Now am bend on building 5m income monthly business before 2024 ends

But Baba blu was the highest job in the land,but refused to be interviewed by anybody.

7 Likes

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by anzaku47(m): 1:59pm On Feb 21, 2023
Any organization that reject a hardworking person like me has lost kpatakpata. No be pride.

I have
Integrity
Loyalty
Sincerity
Deligence
Hardwork
Commitment etc

No be pride. I be hot cake

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by IbrahimSkiba(f): 1:59pm On Feb 21, 2023
Here we

Me na everyday I dey receive

WE ARE SORRY TO INFORM YOU THAT .. BLAH BLAH BLAH grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by JahBwoy: 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2023
rejection is only dificult at the begining of one;s career. Once you start getiing further with offers here and there, few rejections do not hurt anymore.

Because you start having the mindset, that if it is met for you, it won't slip

7 Likes

Re: What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share by easzypeaszy(m): 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2023
helo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? / Is BOI Recruiting At The Moment?? / Apply for Lasaco Assurance Plc Fresh Job Recruitment (6 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.