Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,111 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? (2180 Views)

Note: satan In Human form Is ruling a Country / Is Cousins Marriage In Christianity Forbidden? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by MaobiCarl(f): 7:19am On Sep 28, 2022
The Satan in the new testament is completely different from the one in the old testament.
Old testament's adversary in few places he was mentioned like Job and Ezekiel was more like an angel or messenger who did the biddings of yahweh.
Lucifer in isaiah was the babylonian empire or assyrian empire, Jesus himself was acknowledged as the "morning star" in revelation which means lucifer.

Satan did not appear anywhere in genesis account. We read about disobedient angels who was destroyed during a flood. Most importantly in genesis account during the fall we also read that it was a literal snake that made Adam and eve to sin, we're sure of this because the snake had legs before but God removed it and cursed it to crawl all the days of it's miserable life for deceiving Adam and Eve, the bible passages also contained stories where we find talking animals. So it's not strange that a snake talked in genesis.
So where did the Satan in Christianity come from? When yahweh was both evil and goodness
Isaiah 45 vs 7
New International Version
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Farejudge: 7:31am On Sep 28, 2022
We all don't know about it

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Solofresh2: 7:34am On Sep 28, 2022
Don't be dececived by this things.This tales are told to put fear and orderliness all in the name of Christianity.As far as am concerned, there are Hundreds of religions across the whole wide world.Some are popular and some are not.
This people are living in a different world entirely.

3 Likes

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:30am On Sep 28, 2022
MaobiCarl:
..Satan did not appear anywhere in genesis account..

See how you people are blind when you read?

What you call new testament
Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth,

What you call old testament
Genesis 3:13
..And the woman said, The serpent beguiled (deceived) me, and I did eat

2 Likes

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:34am On Sep 28, 2022
Solofresh2:
Don't be dececived by this things.This tales are told to put fear and orderliness all in the name of Christianity..

That's what that boy in the movie White Squall said to himself even though the sea was flooding his boat. "It's just a bad dream, it's just a bad dream".

And the fool drowned with the boat.

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Piptocoin: 11:44am On Sep 28, 2022
No matter how much the truth is written in plain text there will always be those who will play blind or twist the scriptures to pervert the truth. An example is the Op.

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by knowingChrist(m): 11:54am On Sep 28, 2022
Who's this we who're sure that it was a literal snake that deceived Eve? Also, do you understand that the bible makes it clear that Adam was not deceived? Or what kind of bible are you reading? The bible says Adam refused to obey the authority of God (which means to disobey), so what are you talking about? Take some time to study pls

MaobiCarl:

Most importantly in genesis account during the fall we also read that it was a literal snake that made Adam and eve to sin, we're sure of this because the snake had legs before but God removed it and cursed it to crawl all the days of it's miserable life for deceiving Adam and Eve, the bible passages also contained stories where we find talking animals. So it's not strange that a snake talked in genesis.

Isaiah 47 vs 7.
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by MaobiCarl(f): 2:39pm On Sep 29, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

See how you people are blind when you read?

What you call new testament
Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth,

What you call old testament
Genesis 3:13
..And the woman said, The serpent beguiled (deceived) me, and I did eat

See how you responded with full chest thinking you're intelligent. No place in genesis was the serpent mentioned as Satan.
And you're quoting an entire different culture, language and religion imbedded in an apocalyptic book seeking to gain recognition and acceptance.
Ur very dull

5 Likes

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by MaobiCarl(f): 2:42pm On Sep 29, 2022
knowingChrist:
Who's this we who're sure that it was a literal snake that deceived Eve? Also, do you understand that the bible makes it clear that Adam was not deceived? Or what kind of bible are you reading? The bible says Adam refused to obey the authority of God (which means to disobey), so what are you talking about? Take some time to study pls

The genesis account entirely proved and made sure of it was a mere snake.
Please defend that it wasn't a snake with genesis account or the old testament (torah).
Ballam donkey talked, the pre Christian Jews believed in a many fairly tales where animals talked and a talking snake is one of them

2 Likes

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:12pm On Sep 29, 2022
MaobiCarl:

See how you responded with full chest thinking you're intelligent. No place in genesis was the serpent mentioned as Satan.

Please have some intelligence. Throughout the Bible Serpent and Satan and Devil are the names of the person who does evil, therefore the words "that old serpent, called the Devil, Satan, " ties them all up. Ordinary free common sense, yet you lack it. Why? because you are a son of Devil.

And you're quoting an entire different culture, language and religion imbedded in an apocalyptic book seeking to gain recognition and acceptance.
Ur very dull [/quote]

Aren't you the none-intelligent one who is speaking about this same "different culture, language and religion imbedded in an apocalyptic book"? That insanely out of sense?
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:18pm On Sep 29, 2022
MaobiCarl:

Please defend that it wasn't a snake with genesis account or the old testament (torah).
Ballam donkey talked, the pre Christian Jews believed in a many fairly tales where animals talked and a talking snake is one of them

The Bible is not Genesis alone and it did not end in Malachi but in Revelation. So you can not limit the whole of Christianity, which even comes from Mathew,Mark, ... to Genesis where a devil like you would say Christ is not there.
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Kobojunkie: 3:36pm On Sep 29, 2022
tongue
MaobiCarl:
The Satan in the new testament is completely different from the one in the old testament.
Old testament's adversary in few places he was mentioned like Job and Ezekiel was more like an angel or messenger who did the biddings of yahweh.
Lucifer in isaiah was the babylonian empire or assyrian empire, Jesus himself was acknowledged as the "morning star" in revelation which means lucifer.

Satan did not appear anywhere in genesis account. We read about disobedient angels who was destroyed during a flood. Most importantly in genesis account during the fall we also read that it was a literal snake that made Adam and eve to sin, we're sure of this because the snake had legs before but God removed it and cursed it to crawl all the days of it's miserable life for deceiving Adam and Eve, the bible passages also contained stories where we find talking animals. So it's not strange that a snake talked in genesis.
So where did the Satan in Christianity come from? When yahweh was both evil and goodness
Isaiah 47 vs 7.
While much of the ideas out there on Satan in Christianity today is of myth, Satan is however indicated as an enemy by Jesus Christ, but much like the Satan of Old, Jesus Christ also indicated in the same texts that Satan has no power over Him and so is not of significant threat to any of those who are His followers. undecided
17 When the 72 followers came back from their trip, they were very happy. They said, “Lord, even the demons obeyed us when we used your name!”
18 Jesus said to them, “I saw Satan falling like lightning from the sky.
19 He is the enemy, but know that I have given you more power than he has. I have given you power to crush his snakes and scorpions under your feet. Nothing will hurt you.
20 Yes, even the spirits obey you. And you can be happy, not because you have this power, but because your names are written in heaven.” - Luke 10 vs 17 - 20
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 5:51pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
tongue While much of the ideas out there on Satan in Christianity today is of myth, Satan is however indicated as an enemy by Jesus Christ, but much like the Satan of Old, Jesus Christ also indicated in the same texts that Satan has no power over Him and so is not of significant threat to any of those who are His followers. undecided

Talking about Christianity myth, When did “satan” become a figure?
One of the angels of your savior was a “satan”.

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 5:56pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
tongue While much of the ideas out there on Satan in Christianity today is of myth, Satan is however indicated as an enemy by Jesus Christ, but much like the Satan of Old, Jesus Christ also indicated in the same texts that Satan has no power over Him and so is not of significant threat to any of those who are His followers. undecided

Not only that, even a certain Babylon king was a satan too cheesy

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Sep 29, 2022
Piptocoin:
No matter how much the truth is written in plain text there will always be those who will play blind or twist the scriptures to pervert the truth. An example is the Op.
Well, if we are to agree that that which is written is truth, then 99.9999% of Christians out there believe in lies, right? This since they believe instead in the doctrines and traditions of men, ideas born of the special interpretations/delusions of men. undecided
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by knowingChrist(m): 6:13pm On Sep 29, 2022
With due respect sir, what you're saying is very incorrect. You said "we're sure it was a literal snake that spoke to Eve" then went on to say Adam and Eve was deceived by this talking snake and I asked you who's this "we" who are sure that it was a snake? Simply because what you say contradict what's obtainable in the scriptures.

If this we is just you and your friends or your religious group then be bold enough to say it. I for a person do not subscribe to this ideology that there was a talking snake in Garden of Eden at least not by reading the bible. Maybe you found this myth in other books or from your religion but it's certainly not from the bible. And I have taken time to write this on here and even on many platforms like Quora and Twitter.

I'll glad if you can check them out or at least take some time to study the bible so you don't generalize your assumptions on everyone. God bless you.

MaobiCarl:

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by knowingChrist(m): 6:16pm On Sep 29, 2022
Isaiah 29:13

Kobojunkie:
Well, if we are to agree that that which is written is truth, then 99.9999% of Christians out there believe in lies, right? This since they believe instead in the doctrines and traditions of men, ideas born of the special interpretations/delusions of men. undecided
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 6:18pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:

If all what is written is true, then why did Catholic set up a canon?
Why were they Cherrypicking the part that’s “divine”?
When constantine wanted to make christianity a state religion, didn’t he select a particular doctrine and he even KILLED other doctrines members.

So why do you believe in the Catholic doctrine that created the New Testament you are seeing iesus chrestus.
You are an hypocrite!

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 6:25pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:

These are the specially crafted Catholic books you are basing your sad life on? Bwahahahah

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by sonmvayina(m): 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2022
How else can they sell jesus to the gullible masses?.

Create the problem ,sell them the solution ..
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Kobojunkie: 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2022
MaobiCarl:
Well, you are off to a good start processing what is written as is written. grin

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 7:07pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Well, you are off to a good start processing what is written as is written. grin

the tanahk was written in old hebrew and that word simply means snake.
But you can continue basking in ignorance that it is satan or it is the babylon king that turned to snake, no wonder the snake was talking in the mythology bwahahahah

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by MrPRevailer(m): 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2022
MaobiCarl:

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15: Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Zechariah 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

John 10:10 "The thief came not but to steal, to kill and to destroy. I am come that you might have life and have it more abundantly" {Jesus}.

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 8:18pm On Sep 29, 2022
MrPRevailer:

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15: Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Zechariah 3:1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?

John 10:10 "The thief came not but to steal, to kill and to destroy. I am come that you might have life and have it more abundantly" {Jesus}.

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Isiah 14:12 is talking about a babylon king, look up isiah 14:4.

1 Like

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Piptocoin: 8:38pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:

before anything, how did you come up with your statistics? link(s) needed.
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Kobojunkie: 8:48pm On Sep 29, 2022
Piptocoin:
before anything, how did you come up with your statistics? link(s) needed.
The vast majority of what is suggested as Christianity today is instead Churchianism, a religion built on the very doctrines and traditions of men which Jesus Christ warned were lies that were against God's Truth .I.e. AntiChrist in nature. And so since 99.999999% of those who poll as Christians subscribe to churchianity hold to these doctrines, it follows that... undecided
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Piptocoin: 8:57pm On Sep 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The vast majority of what is suggested as Christianity today is instead Churchianism, a religion built on the very doctrines and traditions of men which Jesus Christ warned were lies that were against God's Truth .I.e. AntiChrist in nature. And so since 99.999999% of those who poll as Christians subscribe to churchianity hold to these doctrines, it follows that... undecided

half-truths are the same as lies. the numbers are still weird.
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Sep 29, 2022
Piptocoin:
half-truths are the same as lies. the numbers are still weird.
Indeed, even a half-truth is a lie. The number may look weird until you consider that 99.9999% of the over 2 billion in the world today who profess to be Christians are affiliated with one churchian denomination or another, then maybe you see it ain't as weird as you may like it to be. undecided
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by MrPRevailer(m): 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2022
Maynman:

Isiah 14:12 is talking about a babylon king, look up isiah 14:4.

So a Babylonian king called Lucifer fell from Heaven?
The only place in scripture that repeats is

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

He is called "the Accuser." The same one who accuses Joshua in the Book of Zechariah 3:1-2 and was rebuked.
The same one who sought an accusation against Job.

'Son of the morning' is not the same as 'the Morning Star'.
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2022
MrPRevailer:

So a Babylonian king called Lucifer fell from Heaven?
The only place in scripture that repeats is

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

He is called "the Accuser." The same one who accuses Joshua in the Book of Zechariah and was rebuked.

'Son of the morning' is not the same as 'the Morning Star'.

read the whole chapter yourself and find out, it’s about Nebuchadnezzar II, the chapter didn’t start from verse 12.
Satan literally means adversary, even one of your deity angels was a satan(adversary) to baalam.

Lucifer is a greek translation of satan by jerome.
Morning star is not a person, you should read up on how early greek church fathers turned it to a figure.
The storyline has to be right, your deity is the protagonist and “satan” the antagonist.
Perfect movie grin

Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by MrPRevailer(m): 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2022
MaobiCarl:

Ur very dull

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Luke 22:3 "Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve."

Satan is a spirit. It's either he was speaking physically with Eve or he entered into a snake.
Judas committed evil because he was under the influence of the Devil.

John 10:10 "The thief came not but to kill, steal and destroy"
Re: Where Did The Satan In Christianity Come From? by Maynman: 10:37pm On Sep 29, 2022
MrPRevailer:

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Luke 22:3 "Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve."

Satan is a spirit. It's either he was speaking physically with Eve or he entered into a snake.
Judas committed evil because he was under the influence of the Devil.
Look at how your omnipotent god is handing things lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fact Check: Did Pregnant Side Chick Confront Pastor In Lagos Church? (video) / How Did Early Humans Migrate From The Middle East To Other Continents? / After A Year Of Atheist Criticism, Are Atheists More Moral Than The Religious?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.