Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,437 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri (28679 Views)

Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Obi Plans To Stage-manage Fake Assassination Attempt – Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by micflo28(m): 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2022
Nigeria is witnessing production deficit because of governments inability to boost the power generation sector and provide security before shutting the borders. Right now, to reflate the country back to its feet, we need to import as much to bridge the consumption gap while working tirelessly to solve insecurity and boost power supply by about atleast 18hours a day. Reno is ignorant of all this. Pressure from poverty and hunger lightgassed insecurity. Creating an enabling environment for cottage industries to grow before import restrictions is key to balancing the delicate economic misnomer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by lastmessenger: 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2022
post=117357915:

Quoted for posterity sake.

OBI IS DULL.
OBI IS IPOB.
IPOB IS OBI.
who released this man? Welcome back to continue from where you stopped.

3 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by asanausana91: 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2022
stano2:
I’m yet to see or hear Reno talk about his preferred candidate.
Everyday Peter Obi this and that. This guy literally breathes in Peter Obi like wtf.
He’s yet to market Atiku.
he have the right to talk about anybody that want to be president. Can you explain to us how removing of restrictions will improve our economy?
Some of you are too dull to understand what Reno is talking.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GeneralPula: 6:40pm On Oct 07, 2022
Reno get time..

Pandora is so dull to the extent that he doesn’t understand economics..

In case you don’t understand - What Peter Obi is saying is that he wants to remove import restrictions so as to increase the rate of import, which will thereby kill every local productions. Many people would become jobless too. If you’ve been dreaming of becoming a producer, Pandora is up to killing your dream..

While everyone is hoping Nigeria stops importing and go back to production in large, this village GCE holder is hoping to wreck the dream of Nigeria..

Anambra’s people curse must still be working on Obi

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by baresi22: 6:40pm On Oct 07, 2022
I have lived and worked in United Kingdom, Australia and Canada. Most Western countries remove import and export restrictions. You only increase the import duties of some targeted items so as to encourage local production. For example, if you restrict importation of cars, local manufacturing companies cannot meet up with demand in Nigeria. You will encourage smuggling and other vices and short-change yourself by not getting revenue from import duties.

In my opinion, removing these restrictions is something that should be encouraged, while one creating an investor friendly country.

It is usually only when advanced nations want to sanction some countries that they implement ban or restrictions.

The main things that can save Nigeria is to reduce cost of governance, reduce corruption by block leakages using technology,investment in regenerative projects, exploring renewable energy sources and finally vote for a good leader. From my observations among the leading candidates, only Peter seems to show commitment and understanding of how to effect the much needed change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by asanausana91: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Reno will never see anything good in this I know lol..losers
then tell us what is good in Peter Obi removal of import restrictions.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GavelSlam: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2022
AK481:
olodo reno.

restriction of FX should be removed.
the diaspora should send all its fx to nigeria for production so that it will help to create a suplur of dollar and give the naira more value.

this is technical ,so you don't expect agbado people to understand

You must be an idiot.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by tuborme: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2022
SIMONEKPA7:
smiley

Removing duties from our excise will spell doom for the economy.. You don't need to be an economists to know that.. in as much as I know that Obi wants to impress his audience, he should exercise caution when churning out data and statistics of economy use because it will always be a reference point
Take out time to read what Reno wrote and be judgement about it. Read and learn and stop behaving like the Buharideens

Removing Import restrictions does not mean excise removal…. It means tax imported finished goods much more heavier. Restrictions breed scarcity and corruption.

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by nazicartel(m): 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2022
ChukwuObe:

But wait, what do you expect from a 3rd class GCE degree. You dont expect a dumb to perform better. The unfortunate thing is that his supporters are very gullible and hateful. What a shame!
what is ChukwuObe ?
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by alizma: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2022
jazon:

My brother has a factory in lekki. But the raw materials he uses are sourced from Turkey and China. He cannot easily get those raw materials because of import restrictions. Meanwhile after buying those raw materials, he converts them into finished goods and exports them to Ghana, Kenya, Cameroon etc.
Removing import restrictions would In The long run benefit the economy because the finished goods are exported.

It's just like countries that buy Nigerian oil. They convert the oil to finished petroleum products that have more value than the initial raw materials.
Removing import restrictions especially on raw materials is good for the economy.
Thanks for bringing in this angle of the situation to defend his point however, we are looking at from the angle of finished products as well as those those products that their required raw materials can be sourced locally. If obi had define the category of restrictions he planned to remove, maybe that would have save us the argument but unfortunately he didn't and from my secondary school till this point, I am made to understand and I believe that one of the major policies to encourage local producer is import restriction.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GavelSlam: 6:43pm On Oct 07, 2022
americaninja1:
u are d senseless and dull person here. Even USA doesn’t restrict importation, not to talk of a country that her local production can’t cater for half of her citizen. They only gave few importation license and waiver, and block others from doing so in d name of promoting local production . Make few extremely rich at the detriment of millions of people.

You are idiot.

Your currency would be further devalued and Venezuela would be a joking matter when it comes to ours.

Name one country that has imported into progress.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GavelSlam: 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
jazon:

My brother has a factory in lekki. But the raw materials he uses are sourced from Turkey and China. He cannot easily get those raw materials because of import restrictions. Meanwhile after buying those raw materials, he converts them into finished goods and exports them to Ghana, Kenya, Cameroon etc.
Removing import restrictions would In The long run benefit the economy because the finished goods are exported.

It's just like countries that buy Nigerian oil. They convert the oil to finished petroleum products that have more value than the initial raw materials.
Removing import restrictions especially on raw materials is good for the economy.

YOU ARE A LIAR.

WHEN SOMEONE ASKS YOU WHAT YOUR FAKE BROTHER PRODUCES, YOU WOULD RUN AWAY.

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by oneMalik: 6:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
Like i said yesterday that OBI is a CALAMITY waiting to befall Nigeria but God will forbid him .

that will only happen in BIAFRA not Nigeria. A country in serious need of a leader that will encourage local production like other developed nations.

OBI Is a pure BIAFRA agenda !

be wise .

3 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Iliveforever(m): 6:46pm On Oct 07, 2022
asanausana91:
mumu attack the matter and leave Reno alone

Oya come and suck my dick
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Heffalump(m): 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2022
ElSudani:
It is a destructive idea. Nigeria is actually on the path of further development. Obi's idea will reverse all the gains Nigeria had made in more than 20 years.
Babangida's SAP was created to make Nigeria self reliant in many ways, the transition was painful for Nigerians but the policy still largely remains till today which is basically to look inwards.
Reversing this will blow the economy, many factories will close down. All those Aba shoe makers will lose out to cheap imports from Asia.
Basically, Obi will f**k Nigeria up.
This guy is clueless, please don't let this man near Aso Rock.
PS. When young Nigerians say 'sapa' the structural Adjustment program (SAP) of Babangida is the etymology of that slang.
Peter Obi's idea will take us back to a period before that.

Obi is not crazy. There's positive economic analysis about the idea of removing import restrictions. With the restrictions in place, what's the state of the economy now? Compare the situations before and after the restrictions.
There are several ways of growing the economy, not by one-sided restriction.
I know he'll come out and explain this position better someday. Be patient.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GeneralPula: 6:49pm On Oct 07, 2022
penultimatee:
Okay,I stand with reno on this.How can we be importing what we can produce locally here in Nigeria.Its like we are empowering foreign currency on our own currency detriment.
Yes. Pandora is up to making $1 - #3,000

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 07, 2022
At these moment Naigeria is importing almost everything, from petrol, Kerosene down to tooth pick, this is a country that is supposed to have oil in abundant. So what is this mockery guy yapping about?

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by asanausana91: 6:50pm On Oct 07, 2022
richidinho:
grin grin grin

From 2007 - 2015 import restriction was removed

Foreign rice. 50kg N9,000
Local rice. 50kg. N4,000

From 2015 till date import is restricted
Foreign rice. 50kg N35,000
Local rice. 50kg. N30,000

Obi is right

see mumu, Even if local rice is sold at 100k that money is circulating in our economy but when you buy foreign rice at 10k you are gradually killing your economy.

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by jamace(m): 6:50pm On Oct 07, 2022
Tinubuadvocate:
I have said it time without number that peter obi is senseless and dull.
That's your opinion because you are a Tinubu Advocate. We don't expect anything else from you.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GeneralPula: 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2022
americaninja1:
u are d senseless and dull person here. Even USA doesn’t restrict importation, not to talk of a country that her local production can’t cater for half of her citizen. They only gave few importation license and waiver, and block others from doing so in d name of promoting local production . Make few extremely rich at the detriment of millions of people.
How many things does USA import? Does USA actually imports? USA is a full production country. Import is almost useless..

Nigeria is not a full production country yet. We need to be much more interested in production than importation. Incase you don’t know, what peter obi said can only increase rate of unemployment & making dollar more cost..

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by asanausana91: 6:51pm On Oct 07, 2022
stano2:
Reno is disgusting

He was quick to say Obidients will come after him.
What’s factual about the rubbish he put up.
why not attack the subject matter. Reno is right on this.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by DSC7: 6:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
americaninja1:

You can see how reno used Kano, Kaduna, Lagos and Ogun as a point of reference inorder to turn the North and Southwest against Peter Obi....

As at when importation wasn't restricted prices of commodities were cheaper compared to now...

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by blaise26abj(m): 6:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
Millionjeff:

Please can u offer an alternative analysis. As an undecided voter,I needed more facts to vote your candidate. please your analysis should be issue based.
For your information I got no candidates because Nigeria problem is systemic rather individual.

Let me chip in . I am undecided too at the moment but I agree with Obi’s policy .

Before you ban or restrict importation , you have to ensure that the business environment for local production is good and healthy . Local production must be able to cater to most of your local consumption . If it exceeds local consumption then You have surplus to export .

The reason we have high costs of everything is because our local production cannot take care of our local needs . A lot of money are chasing few goods ( the cause of the inflation we have ) . To add insult to injury the insecurity challenges have made food production decline .

Nigeria at the moment does not have the business environment to do away with importation . Even the government imports refined products to cater for the deficit from our poor local refinery. If government didn’t , 1 litre would be 1000 naira by now .

Ultimately the goal is to reduce importation to probably raw materials . But Nigeria is far from that at the moment .

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 6:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
micflo28:
Nigeria is witnessing production deficit because of governments inability to boost the power generation sector and provide security before shutting the borders. Right now, to reflate the country back to its feet, we need to import as much to bridge the consumption gap while working tirelessly to solve insecurity and boost power supply by about atleast 18hours a day. Reno is ignorant of all this. Pressure from poverty and hunger lightgassed insecurity. Creating an enabling environment for cottage industries to grow before import restrictions is key to balancing the delicate economic misnomer.

Some of the points which you said have good value like the electricity generation but we have to tell ourselves the truth the way we are doing things is very wrong. You cannot borrow 100 US dollar to produce a product of $5 and when you look at it the death of the Nation is now more than even Lagos GDP which is a financial and industrial capital. So what I am trying to say is most of our companies are industries in Nigeria and more than 100% debt.

It is difficult for local production to take place in the next 1000 Years because of the healthy debt on the nation

Beggars can't be choosers

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Faber(m): 6:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
SIMONEKPA7:
smiley

Removing duties from our excise will spell doom for the economy.. You don't need to be an economists to know that.. in as much as I know that Obi wants to impress his audience, he should exercise caution when churning out data and statistics of economy use because it will always be a reference point
Take out time to read what Reno wrote and be judgement about it. Read and learn and stop behaving like the Buharideens

There's no single nation in the world that does not import. Are you aware that it's easier and cheaper to buy car in other African countries than Nigeria, there's excess import restrictions and all to the detriment of the common man.

Tell me where he mentioned import duties...nawa for you

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by micflo28(m): 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2022
Imports should only be for raw materials and not finished goods, Raw materials that cannot be sourced from Nigeria. Many countries still buy oil from Nigeria and refine them for usage. Importation is not all that bad, it should just be classified. No nation is an island and import substitution is the key to a sustainable economy.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Cuntface: 6:55pm On Oct 07, 2022
post=117357915:

Quoted for posterity sake.

OBI IS DULL.
OBI IS IPOB.
IPOB IS OBI.

Who released the Vulture seller?������

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by GeneralPula: 6:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
SUFFERInSMILIIN:

Nigerian people are illiterate there is no local manufacturing the only many factory which there is in Nigeria is borrowing money. A product in America which is 5 US dollar when Nigeria wants to produce that same product they will end up borrowing 100 US dollar to produce a product of $5 in a developed country. Whoever is telling you there is local production is a bloody lie all the local Industries are just borrowing money to produce
Mention one product to justify your $5/$100 analysis?
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by Konjiboii: 6:57pm On Oct 07, 2022
Even if them wan restrict the ozone layer as long na Obi talk am and Reno dey oppose I AND MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND KINDRED WILL VOTE PETER OBI over and over again.

2 Likes

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by asanausana91: 6:57pm On Oct 07, 2022
dmostcheerful:
Reno mockery the crier.
Importation isn't Nigerians problem.
We stopped rice important and the price of local rice went from 11k to 29k currently.
Cement nko?
Nigerians are naturally greedy.
Remove restrictions to easy price for locals, use that opportunity to create more production company(this will create competition among local producers) which will leads to price reduction too.
When the locally produced price is down the importers won't keep up with price there by leading to them being discouraged with importation.
Right now, due to the current situation of thing like insecurity, unaccessible local production material, lack of steady electricity Nigeria isn't producing much.
don't forget that the man that said he will change Nigeria from consumption to production country is the one that said this rubbish. How can you change Nigeria from consumption to production by importing rubbish from outside? Iam suprise that intelligent people like you are supporting this rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by jazon(m): 6:57pm On Oct 07, 2022
alizma:

Thanks for bringing in this angle of the situation to defend his point however, we are looking at from the angle of finished products as well as those those products that their required raw materials can be sourced locally. If obi had define the category of restrictions he planned to remove, maybe that would have save us the argument but unfortunately he didn't and from my secondary school till this point, I am made to understand and I believe that one of the major policies to encourage local producer is import restriction.

He also plans to increase his productive capacity and efficiency, but the machines he needs which may be classified as finished goods cannot be easily imported. There are some finished goods that are needed in the manufacturing sector too. So basically, import restriction may actually stifle local production. Nigeria needs someone that can actually understand the dynamics of the economy. Not someone that operates based on theories that may not actually work in specific
situations.
Imagine if it's very easy to import tractors and other farm tools that we haven't acquired the technology to produce yet, our agricultural industry can increase is manufacturing scale.
Re: Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri by bdon123(m): 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
Tinubuadvocate:
I have said it time without number that peter obi is senseless and dull.
no offence,it sounds like u are d dull one bro..no shades

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. / Akinwunmi Adesina elected as AfDB president / Suspended Abdulmumin Jibrin To Return To Lecturing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.