Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 (4897 Views)

16 Ways To Choose A Wife, According To The Bible / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 8:17pm On Oct 28, 2022
MaxinDHouse, see the curious case of Simon the Sorcerer;

Acts 8 v 9-24;

9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.

11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.

22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:05pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

So there were Christians on the planet when Jesus preached the sermon on the Mount?
By the way, do you recall what happened to Simon the sorcerer despite being baptised, believed the gospel and followed the Apostles around? He was scolded for trying to purchase the Holy Spirit with money, and told to repent because HIS HEART was not right with God.
Bible studies and baptism is pointless if one’s heart isn’t pure and right before God.

There were Christians (followers of Christ) but the group has not been established until God's Holy Spirit came down and baptized 120 disciples assembled together in one place with one accord. From that day onward anyone not connected to that group is on his or her own! smiley
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:11pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:
MaxinDHouse, see the curious case of Simon the Sorcerer;

Acts 8 v 9-24;

9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:

10 To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.

11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.

21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.

22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

There are many whose hearts are pure in all the religions of this earth but then they must come under the umbrella of God's organization otherwise they are doomed!

That's why God's word says:

Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD'S anger come upon you. Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger. Zephaniah 2:2-3

It's one thing to love righteousness but without meekness such individuals will loose out. WHY? Because it's meekness that will help them to humbly subjects themselves under imperfect humans chosen by God to do God's will along with millions of others! smiley
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 9:31pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

My God is Truth. How is this too hard for you to comprehend?
Does Truth (God) belong to a religion?
Is Truth (God) limited to what is written? Or is Truth (God) a Spirit?
Pls kindly explain better. Is Truth the name of your God?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 9:34pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Pls kindly explain better. Is Truth the name of your God?

He is the Truth. It can’t get simpler than this.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 9:36pm On Oct 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

There were Christians (followers of Christ) but the group has not been established until God's Holy Spirit came down and baptized 120 disciples assembled together in one place with one accord. From that day onward anyone not connected to that group is on his or her own! smiley

Did Jesus mention the pure in heart will see God before the Pentecost? Or after the Pentecost?

Doesn’t the pure in heart matter also apply to those who lived before Christ?

It’s always about the state of the heart.

Guard your heart, for out of it flows the issues of life… (somewhere in Proverbs)
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 9:36pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Just like the 66 books and the Apocrypha right? undecided
If they might have been inspired, then why do you regard the 66 books of the Bible as the complete word of God?
Sounds like mental conditioning to me…
The apocrypha books were not inspired. I have studied some and their history.

Everything God revealed might not have been recorded in a book but what we have in the 66 books is enough for our salvation.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 9:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

There are many whose hearts are pure in all the religions of this earth but then they must come under the umbrella of God's organization otherwise they are doomed!

That's why God's word says:

Before the decree bring forth, before the day pass as the chaff, before the fierce anger of the LORD come upon you, before the day of the LORD'S anger come upon you. Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger. Zephaniah 2:2-3

It's one thing to love righteousness but without meekness such individuals will loose out. WHY? Because it's meekness that will help them to humbly subjects themselves under imperfect humans chosen by God to do God's will along with millions of others! smiley

How can one be pure in heart and yet be doomed?

Won’t they see God as Jesus mentioned in the beatitudes?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 9:42pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Everything God revealed might not have been recorded in a book but what we have in the 66 books is enough for our salvation.

The Apocrypha books were not inspired, yet they made their way into the 1611 King James Bible.
They’re also in the Ethiopian Bible which is one of the oldest Bibles in the world.

Who told you they were not inspired? What’s your basis for arriving at this conclusion?

What about the writings of the early church fathers (Polycarp, Origen, Ireneaus etc) who were disciples of the Apostles?

Their epistles was not inspired by the Holy Spirit too abi?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 9:44pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Which religion did God give man to reach out to Him? Are you really listening to yourself?
Did Adam, Enoch or Abraham or Job have a religion?
Or was it more of a faith driven and personal relationship with the ALMIGHTY.
God spoke with Abraham one on one and made some covenants with him.

Here's a particular one:
Genesis 22:18
[18]And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed—all because you have obeyed me.”

All those men of old you mentioned didn't have a particular way of worship but walked with God in faith.

What about the religion he gave to the descendants of Abraham? That's Moses and the Israelites?

What about the ransom he brought through Jesus Christ and the religion Jesus established?

Who is your God?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 9:45pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Here's a particular one:
[18]And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed—all because you have obeyed me.”

All those men of old you mentioned didn't have a particular way of worship but walked with God in faith.

What about the religion he gave to the descendants of Abraham? That's Moses and the Israelites?

What about the ransom he brought through Jesus Christ and the religion Jesus established?

Who is your God?

Truth is my God, and my God is Truth. How is this too hard for you to comprehend?

Truth is authentic, religion is man made. Don’t mistake one for the other.

God spoke to Abraham, Adam, Job one on one, can He not also speak to you one on one?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 9:49pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Who capped God’s words at 66 books?

Where exactly in the scriptures did the Apostles and prophets mention God’s words is in 66 books only?

I’m keen to know the book, chapter and verse that clearly shows all of God’s words will be in 66 books only.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:01pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

How can one be pure in heart and yet be doomed?
Won’t they see God as Jesus mentioned in the beatitudes?
Pure connotes purity and that doesn't mean the person have faith in God. It's one thing to have faith and faith makes one see God as the supreme being in control of faithful people. So to prove the pureness one must be willing to submit in the midst of other faithful ones {Zechariah 8:23} that's when God appreciates the purity and the pure in heart will see God.

But in the absence of that gathering then such pureness amounts to self righteousness! smiley
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

The Apocrypha books were not inspired, yet they made their way into the 1611 King James Bible.
They’re also in the Ethiopian Bible which is one of the oldest Bibles in the world.
Who told you they were not inspired? What’s your basis for arriving at this conclusion?
What about the writings of the early church fathers (Polycarp, Origen, Ireneaus etc) who were disciples of the Apostles?
Their epistles was not inspired by the Holy Spirit too abi?
Why were they removed?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:08pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

He is the Truth. It can’t get simpler than this.
The truth about what?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:12pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Who capped God’s words at 66 books?
Where exactly in the scriptures did the Apostles and prophets mention God’s words is in 66 books only?
I’m keen to know the book, chapter and verse that clearly shows all of God’s words will be in 66 books only.
How many books should it be?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:13pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Truth is my God, and my God is Truth. How is this too hard for you to comprehend?
Truth is authentic, religion is man made. Don’t mistake one for the other.
God spoke to Abraham, Adam, Job one on one, can He not also speak to you one on one?
Did God give Moses a religion or not?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:23pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Did God give Moses a religion or not?

Did God give Adam, Abraham, Enoch or Job a religion or not?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:25pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

How many books should it be?

You cannot capture the entire truth in writing. It is too vast to be captured in writing.

For example, if all the acts and sayings of Jesus were written, all the books in the world would not contain it.

John 21 v 25;
Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Your focus should be the spirit of truth, for that is the source of all truth be it written or unwritten.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:27pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Did God give Adam, Abraham, Enoch or Job a religion or not?
He hadn't given any religion then but he later did.
Did God give Moses and his people religion or not?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:28pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

The truth about what?

Is the word "Truth" no longer self explanatory?

You're beginning to sound like Pilate here;

John 18 v 37-38

37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate.
Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

38 “What is truth?” retorted Pilate. With this he went out again to the Jews gathered there and said, “I find no basis for a charge against him
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:29pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

You cannot capture the entire truth in writing. It is too vast to be captured in writing.
For example, if all the acts and sayings of Jesus were written, all the books in the world would not contain it.
John 21 v 25;
Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.
Your focus should be the spirit of truth, for that is the source of all truth be it written or unwritten.
If you have the spirit of truth in you and it's revealing more truth to you, good for you.
You can share them here, perhaps we might benefit from it.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:30pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Tell us where God gave Moses a religion, and the name of that religion. Show me the name of the religion from the scriptures.

Not what man called it, but what God called it.

Book, Chapter and verse.

I keep laughing at those who see the Truth (God) from a religious lense.

Please show me the name God called this religion he handed over to Moses. You people keep trying to make a religion from the truth, rather than obey the truth.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Is the word "Truth" no longer self explanatory?
You're beginning to sound like Pilate here;
John 18 v 37-38
37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate.
Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”
38 “What is truth?” retorted Pilate. With this he went out again to the Jews gathered there and said, “I find no basis for a charge against him

The name of your own God is Truth Abi?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:32pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Here's a particular one:

Who is your God?

What religion did Jesus establish? The last time I checked...Jesus lived and died for the TRUTH.

Infact, He became one with the Spirit of Truth and also became the TRUTH. Guess what, it was religious people that beefed him and killed him.

Jesus brought the TRUTH to enlighten men, not religion.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:33pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

The name of your own God is Truth Abi?

Yes. Any problem with that?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:35pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

For the umpteenth time. God never gave any religion.

He is TRUTH and He revealed TRUTH to men for them to obey and follow.

But unscrupulous elements make a religion from the TRUTH to mentally enslave and control many.

Wake up.

TRUTH and religion are not the same thing. Religion is a fraudulent imitation of the TRUTH.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:35pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Tell us where God gave Moses a religion, and the name of that religion. Show me the name of the religion from the scriptures.
Not what man called it, but what God called it.
Book, Chapter and verse.
I keep laughing at those who see the Truth (God) from a religious lense.
Please show me the name God called this religion he handed over to Moses. You people keep trying to make a religion from the truth, rather than obey the truth.
Baba go and sleep.
All the ten commandments, burnt offerings, sin offering, Sabbath worship etc is not religion right?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

If you have the spirit of truth in you and it's revealing more truth to you, good for you.
You can share them here, perhaps we might benefit from it.

Until you are mentally reborn, you will struggle with deeper realms of TRUTH.

One who is still mentally stuck with written TRUTH (66 books and counting) wants to wade into deeper realms of TRUTH (unwritten)?

Unless the Spirit of TRUTH is your compass, sharing these with you might be an exercise in futility.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

Yes. Any problem with that?
Where did your God claim that his name his Truth?
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by OkCornel(m): 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2022
cornelboy:

Baba go and sleep.
All the ten commandments, burnt offerings, sin offering, Sabbath worship etc is not religion right?

Can you give me the name God called this religion?

Book, chapter and verse.
Re: Does The Bible Need An Update? | Ep. 101 by cornelboy(f): 10:39pm On Oct 28, 2022
OkCornel:

What religion did Jesus establish? The last time I checked...Jesus lived and died for the TRUTH.
Infact, He became one with the Spirit of Truth and also became the TRUTH. Guess what, it was religious people that beefed him and killed him.
Jesus brought the TRUTH to enlighten men, not religion.
What about the people practising Jesus' teachings and commandments? Is their way of worship not a religion?

Be like say you don't know what a religion is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Prophet Tb Joshua's Birthday Bash. / How Satan Answer Prayers / The Allegory Of Adam And Eve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.