Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,398 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) (43068 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Caught Breastfeeding A Snake / Threatened By A Snake, Warned By My Dogs / Dog Dies After Intercepting A Snake & Saving A Child (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2022
I love hugging my friend’s big fluffy Bernese Mountain Dog, but a snake? I’m not so sure.

I know there are a few snakes that I would not want to hug, like a massive Boa Constrictor but Boa Constrictors are actually one of the most popular pet snakes, so maybe they are friendlier than you think.

Some big-eyed smiley snakes do score points for cuteness, and others are not venomous.

One plays dead when it gets frightened!

Let’s find out about the 10 friendliest snakes in the world!

#10) Rough Green Snake

On the cuteness scale, these get a 10! Rough green snakes are small bright green snakes that look like they are always smiling!

Their big black eyes give them a cartoonish look. They are a slender snake (about the width of your finger) and average 10-20 inches.

They are shy, timid, snakes that are so not aggressive, but they also seem to not enjoy being handled.

As a pet, they are recommended for experienced snake owners or as a snake to watch, vs handle. Smooth green snakes are a very similar cousin.

SOURCE

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2022
#9) Ringneck Snake

Not big enough to hug, but as one of the smallest snakes on the list, it scores big points for cuteness. Ringneck snakes are tiny and only get to be about a foot to a foot-and-a-half.

They can curl up in your hand they are so small. Native to the United States you could find one in the wild but they are nocturnal and only come out at night.

They get their name from the orange ring around their neck that looks like a cute collar. Their bodies are typically all grayish-black on top with a yellowish-orange belly.

They do lose some points on the friendliness scale because they are mildly venomous but the venom does not seem to be harmful to humans.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2022
#8.) Hognose Snake

Bulldogs have a turned-up nose and so do these friendly snakes.

The hognose snake uses its nose as a shovel, to dig through the dirt.

Hognose snakes are a heavier-bodied snake that only gets to be 25-30 inches. They are blackish with dark brown markings.

They are not venomous and get this, if they feel threatened they will initially act like a cobra and hiss and lunge but not bite.

If that doesn’t work they play dead, and in a super dramatic way, they roll on their backs, writhe around a bit and then freeze with their mouth open and tongue hanging out.

Now that is Oscar material!

10 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2022
#7) Garter Snake

These are one of the most common snakes in North America.

Garter snakes are a super friendly snake and recommended as a great pet because they are easy to handle.

Although wild garter snakes may release a foul smell if handled, captive-bred ones are easier to handle and can be tamed if handled regularly.

They have vertical stripes that go the length of their bodies and are a variety of colorations.

Garter snakes are small to medium-size snakes that can get to be 2-3 feet long.

PetMD says they make a great starter snake for families with children.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2022
#6) California Kingsnake

The California kingsnake is one of the friendliest snakes because it is mild-mannered and good with kids!

It is one of the top 5 recommended pet snakes for first-time snake owners. They have a calm temperament and are easily tamed with frequent handling.

California kingsnakes can get to be 3-5 feet long but can live just fine in a 20-gallon tank.

They are blackish-brown with off-white bands and big black eyes.

#5) Boa Constrictor (Red Tail Boa)

Did you know your next door neighbor could have a boa constrictor?

Since it is a non-venomous snake, most states allow people to own them as pets. Boa’s and pythons are actually a popular pet for snake owners.

Getting a captive-bred boa insures that the boa will be more friendly and easily socialized.

Boa constrictors are a thick snake and can get to be 6-9 feet long (and sometimes even longer). If you do own a boa be sure to keep them in a secure enclosure, really secure.

In Vancouver, Canada an 8-foot boa named Cody got loose in August of 2021. The owner woke up to find it had escaped and was not anywhere in the house.

She let the police know and they put out a notice for people to be on the lookout. Luckily, Cody made his way back home without incident. Even if they are friendly, I would not want to run into one while out walking my dog!

1 Like

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:21pm On Oct 24, 2022
#4) Rosy Boa

Another friendly boa constrictor is the rosy boa. If a 6 to 9 foot snake sounds intimidating, then maybe a Rosy Boa is a better option.

Rosy Boas are much smaller and only get to be 3 feet long. They have a unique coloration with some variation but many are light-colored, almost white with three skinny stripes that go down their body lengthwise.

The stripes are a rose or salmon color. Rosy Boas are docile and easy to handle. They do live in the United States in the southwestern states of California and Arizona.

If you want one as a pet is best to get one that is captive-bred to ensure the ease of socialization.

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:21pm On Oct 24, 2022
#3) Pygmy Python

Another constrictor snake is pythons. A friendly little python is the pygmy python, the smallest python in the world.

They are a docile snake that is from northwest Australia. When they hatch they are only 6 inches long and thin, small enough to fit in your hand.

As adults, they typically don’t get longer than 2 feet. Most are brick red with faint criss-cross markings.

Large pythons can eat rats, pigs, monkeys and can even consume an entire deer. What can a small Pygmy Python constrict? In Australia, they will wait outside the entrance to caves and snatch bats as they fly in and out. Clever hunting technique!

They do have a curious, friendly nature, but need gentle handling and patience.

Socialization of a pygmy python can take from mere weeks up to a year.

They also have voracious appetites and can put on too much weight if overfed.

1 Like 1 Share

#2) Ball Python

The ball python is the most popular pet snake. They are a larger constrictor snake that is tan with dark brown markings. Adult ball pythons can get to be 5 feet long.

They are not venomous but are constrictors. Ball pythons are legal as pets in most states, but there is a list of other python species that are not legal, including the Burmese Python.

Burmese pythons are considered an invasive destructive species in the Everglades of Florida.

Too many release pets have now started their own population and are killing off many of the raccoons, opossums, and bobcats.

Even though pythons can be friendly with humans, they can be destructive to a new environment, so never release one into the wild.

1 Like

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by yellowgarri2(m): 8:22pm On Oct 24, 2022
Snake ké? Which kain rough play be dat? My Selina never reach

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2022
#1) Corn Snake

The friendliest snake in the world is the corn snake. They would be voted “best personality” in the yearbook of snakes.

Corn snakes are very friendly and love to be handled. Because they are easy to take care of they are one of the most popular pet snakes.

With a mix of reddish and orangish markings on a light background, they have scales that look beaded making it look like maize or corn kernels (thus the name corn snake).

These snakes can get to be 4-6 feet long as adults.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by God1000(m): 8:26pm On Oct 24, 2022
Snakes are dangerous, stay away from them

155 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by OnlyJust: 8:30pm On Oct 24, 2022
I'm no snake lover

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 9:13pm On Oct 24, 2022
God1000:
Snakes are dangerous, stay away from them
Not all snakes are venomous.
They attack when you attack them first.

OboOlora:
Please give credit to the site you copied this article from, don’t take credits for another person research work.

We al know y’all Nigerians ain’t that intelligent and research-oriented
Everything shouldn't be done with insult.

Of course the credit is there and did you see my name in the write-up? Insulting Nigerians shouldn't be part of this.

OMYKROIN:

I was reading the article and understood that most of these snakes are native to north america, not even one was cited near Nigeria.
Because all what Nigerians know is to kill snakes for dinner.

smile4kenn:
Snake wahala no dey end, once you see snake na to dey find cutlass, put and firewood. It’s too much
grin grin grin grin grin

jojothaiv:
Dear OP,

I no craze and I no get any agenda to chop craze or kolo anytime soon, make I hug snake, tarrrrrrrrrhhhhh, ordinary Amaka, Chioma and Kleopatra I never finish hug them, I repeat am again, I no craze jo and I no wan dey civilized o
grin grin grin grin grin

PAQ:
The friendliest snake is a dead snake, period!
Really?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2022
Number 1 is Agbado Snake grin

That one will be very friendly to urchins.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by iamyemiakins(m): 1:23am On Oct 25, 2022
Lalasticlala going through this thread from his new job duty post.

5 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Kurumaru: 4:10am On Oct 25, 2022
Dreynox:
Number 1 is Agbado Snake grin

That one will be very friendly to urchins.
Which one be agbado snake again ooh.. Make una leave baba alone biko.. #Naija is not UK#. "Lala, food don done"

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by toady247: 4:10am On Oct 25, 2022
God creatures

3 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by DRPAIT123(m): 4:11am On Oct 25, 2022
Snakes are one of those things that I find extremely intriguing but still want no part of.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by beerfraud: 4:12am On Oct 25, 2022
Is lalasticlala back?

4 Likes

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by YourHerbalOrgan(f): 4:13am On Oct 25, 2022
snakes are beautiful creatures....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Sonnick(m): 4:13am On Oct 25, 2022
what of snake in eagle shadow ?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by OboOlora(f): 4:15am On Oct 25, 2022
Please give credit to the site you copied this article from, don’t take credits for another person research work.

We al know y’all Nigerians ain’t that intelligent and research-oriented

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Nobody: 4:16am On Oct 25, 2022
There isn't nothing friendly or beautiful about this creepy creatures,all they ever stand for is irritating,the creeping, the venom,the poison,the strangling,they are all a complete, perfect description of everything bad,if I have my way, those things would have gone into extinction,I don't care whatever nonsense role they are said to be playing in the ecosystem, some of the world renowned animals that has gone into extinction had their own role to play before they went into extinction and the world hasn't ended

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by OgaDeyVex: 4:19am On Oct 25, 2022
Following The Thread Like Beans And Bread
Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by humberjade: 4:19am On Oct 25, 2022
Odewaleadesoye:
#8.) Hognose Snake

This had me laughing out loud cheesy

Drama king/queen grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Hndrrxxx(m): 4:19am On Oct 25, 2022
Vg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Isokoboy(m): 4:20am On Oct 25, 2022
If you like ..add 1 million dollar put I won't...wetin God say make I kill

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by maxtop(m): 4:22am On Oct 25, 2022
Venomous or not I can't touch them period !!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by Tinubuwins2023e: 4:23am On Oct 25, 2022
What kind of play is this?
Are you playing?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Hug a Snake? Meet the 10 Friendliest Snakes in the World (Photos) by NOGRUDGES(m): 4:24am On Oct 25, 2022
Cute creatures that are not only good as pets, but also great source of protein, leather and medicine.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimpanzee Pelts Girl With Its Feces At The U.I Zoo / Help!!! I Can't Manage My New Puppy / 9 Unique Dog Breeds U May Never Come Across

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.