Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? (14203 Views)

Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? / The First Ever Female Apostle In West Africa. / What Are Your Favourite Nigerian Gospel Songs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2022
Peter betrayed Jesus or denied Jesus despite he knew who Jesus was but with Gods help he became outspoken and a pillarr of the church
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Lawag3: 1:18pm On Oct 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible?

Despite being the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep, it was observed that Jesus loved and was endeared to some sheep more than others.

Among His multitude of disciples, there were the first eleven who were also called His apostles (the 12th not included because he was called "a devil" ). Matthew 10:2-4, John 6:70

Among the first eleven, there were the first three. Matthew 17:1, Mark 14:3, Luke 8:51

Among the first three, there was the first one who was also called His beloved. John 20:2, 21:7.

It was this apostle that the other apostles, including Peter, often passed through to get some information from Jesus which they were curious about, but Jesus hadn't yet revealed to them. For instance, who was going to betray Him. John 13:21-26.

This was the only apostle that was said to have been there with Christ during His crucifixion after all His apostles were said to have fled and forsaken Him. It was of him Jesus had said to His mum who stood by His cross, "behold thy son!" and to the apostle, "behold thy mother!". John 19:26-27

If was of this same apostle that Jesus after His resurrection, said to Peter, "If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." John 21:22 (KJV)

While the apostle may not have tarried til the return of Jesus, he outlived every other apostle in the Bible, as he was the only one among them that was impossible to kill despite all the attempts made on his life, the last being when he was cast into pot of boiling oil, but instead of dying because of the heat, he emerged not just alive but also unharmed, which stunned the Roman ruler at the time, and all those who witnessed the miraculous incident, to the extent it sparked a revival among the Romans as many of them were converted and came to Christ as a result.

When it also came to revelation of the Word of God and things to come, he was head and shoulders above the rest. He was the only apostle in the Bible who revealed Jesus as Word of God that was in the beginning, which happens to be the greatest revelation of the Word of God any man could ever receive from above.

That apostle's name is John, the son of Zebedee, who was also the brother of James another apostle of Christ and one of the first three.

John was undoubtedly Jesus' favourite apostle in the Bible, the one He loved most.

But what was it about John that so endeared Jesus, that made Him love and treat him more specially than the others?

That and more we hope to find out in the next posts.

God bless.

Apostle Paul,did more work than all other apostles combined grin
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2022
Then Paul was virtually killing off christians and locking them up but by Gods intervention on the death of Stephen experienced a turn around.
Likewise under the care and support of Apostle he grew bold and he exploded in missionary works
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by OgaTheTop2: 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2022
Sirseedorf:
King Solomon

if you know you know, if you don't know forget it...
King Solomon my uncle. I wish to be like him in many ways cheesy
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 1:21pm On Oct 30, 2022
Lawag3:

Apostle Paul,did more work than all other apostles combined grin
No he did not he travelled far more into the non new regions than all other appstles

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 1:21pm On Oct 30, 2022
Then you have John the beloved
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 1:23pm On Oct 30, 2022
Then the apostle Matthew who wrote the account of Jesus and had scripts that were miraculous.He gave that script to Mark of which it is said if the sick were placed side by side with the scripts.the sick would be healed
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by LadyExcellency: 1:25pm On Oct 30, 2022
Stephen is a deacon not an apostle.

jesusjnr2020:
[s]My second favourite apostle in the Bible is Stephen[/s]
The reason is when he was being attacked by his enemies, he didn't pray for them to die as many Christians do today, instead he would follow the example of Jesus and instead pray for them to be forgiven.

So it wasn't surprising that Jesus who is said to be sitting on the right hand of God, was seen standing at the right hand of God on that particular moment.

Moreover his prayer may have been pivotal to Paul's conversion, because it may been an entirely different story had he not prayed for the forgiveness of his enemies, but for them all to die by fire as many Christians do today, so the apostle Paul who most of them claim to love may never have lived to have that encounter with Christ that would change his course for good and lead him to be used by God as he was.

It is the extent to which he reminds of Christ and followed His teachings that made him to be my second favorite apostle in the Bible.

God bless.

Modified:

If Jesus the Master saw no evil in having a favorite apostle, and also telling His disciples that there is no greater prophet than John the baptist among several other occasions where He spoke in a similar vein, how much more His servants? Many Christians though think they know better than Jesus so no surprises with some thoughts here.

John 21:20-22 (KJV)

Then Peter, turning about, seeth THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED FOLLOWING; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jesus saith unto him, IF I WILL THAT HE TARRY TILL I COME, WHAT IS THAT TO THEE? follow thou me.

Luke 7:28 (KJV)

For I say unto you, AMONG THOSE THAT ARE BORN OF WOMEN THERE IS NOT A GREATER PROPHET THAN JOHN THE BAPTIST: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2022
The you have James the matyred!
This is significant because Herod could only try to weaken the influence of the Apostles by executing the pillars of the Christian faith of which James is one!

You will not understand the importance of pillars but this is a special anointing for a person to have
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by wirinet(m): 2:00pm On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

I do not ask you to believe, I ask you to see!
What are you asking me to see? All I see is a book and your (sect) interpretation of the book. I have read many other books.

And if you look at Thomas, you would see that he did not touch Jesus and put his finger in the holes. No he did not!

Whether he physically touch the wound in Jesus's side is irrelevant, the important thing is that he physically (and not spiritually) saw Jesus and his injuries before he believed. Besides, Catholics believed he touched Jesus while protestants believe he did not. Its a matter of which doctrine to choose to believe.

He Saw what was there to be seen. The same things he knew before which is knowledge.

I am also wishing to see what is there to be seen, and acquire actual knowledge instead of beliefs.

When we say God we are just paying full respect to The Person Who created us and built this House we call earth which He put us in rent free, to live in it.

And we already know that we did not build ourselves not this House called earth.

I have always hated these Christian (and Muslim) philosophy, that I should be grateful for being alive and on earth. Who send am work? Did I beg to be put on earth? He did it for his own pleasure without my consent. A human is put on this earth under circumstances he/she has absolutely no control, he/is expected to struggle, survive and reproduce. Then in less than 100 years dies. Because of that he/she is expected to worship a God for eternity. Mind you he/she might survive for just 15 years.
That's sadistic.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by CaveAdullam: 2:14pm On Oct 30, 2022
ObaKlaz:
You're from RCN?

If it is Remnant Christian Network...

I was influenced by the teachings of Apostle Arome Osayi and Apostle Joshua Selma.

Even though I'm no longer a...I still appreciate their teachings and hold the Bible and every religion in high esteem.

Thanks.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by MikeofAfrica: 2:34pm On Oct 30, 2022
damosky12:

Did you know that Jesus never taught nor showed that John was Jesus' favourite disciple. It's never in God's nature to be partial.

The Bible made it clear that John was Jesus favourite disciple. Jesus only share His deepest secrets with John. Hence during the last Support, the other disciples pleaded with John to tell them whom will betray Jesus ( John 13: 21-26).
They believed that Jesus can only confide such secret to John.
Again before ascending to Heaven, Jesus told Peter that John will not die till He comes again ( John 21: 20-25).
Hence John lived longer than all the disciples. Jesus later fulfilled His promise by appearing to John at the Island of Patmos where He received and wrote the Book of Revelation.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by ukaface(f): 2:36pm On Oct 30, 2022
Apostles dey Bible?
I no even know
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Sleekfingers: 2:37pm On Oct 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible?

Despite being the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep, it was observed that Jesus loved and was endeared to some sheep more than others.

Among His multitude of disciples, there were the first eleven who were also called His apostles (the 12th not included because he was called "a devil" ). Matthew 10:2-4, John 6:70

Among the first eleven, there were the first three. Matthew 17:1, Mark 14:3, Luke 8:51

Among the first three, there was the first one who was also called His beloved. John 20:2, 21:7.

It was this apostle that the other apostles, including Peter, often passed through to get some information from Jesus which they were curious about, but Jesus hadn't yet revealed to them. For instance, who was going to betray Him. John 13:21-26.

This was the only apostle that was said to have been there with Christ during His crucifixion after all His apostles were said to have fled and forsaken Him. It was of him Jesus had said to His mum who stood by His cross, "behold thy son!" and to the apostle, "behold thy mother!". John 19:26-27

If was of this same apostle that Jesus after His resurrection, said to Peter, "If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." John 21:22 (KJV)

While the apostle may not have tarried til the return of Jesus, he outlived every other apostle in the Bible, as he was the only one among them that was impossible to kill despite all the attempts made on his life, the last being when he was cast into pot of boiling oil, but instead of dying because of the heat, he emerged not just alive but also unharmed, which stunned the Roman ruler at the time, and all those who witnessed the miraculous incident, to the extent it sparked a revival among the Romans as many of them were converted and came to Christ as a result.

When it also came to revelation of the Word of God and things to come, he was head and shoulders above the rest. He was the only apostle in the Bible who revealed Jesus as Word of God that was in the beginning, which happens to be the greatest revelation of the Word of God any man could ever receive from above.

That apostle's name is John, the son of Zebedee, who was also the brother of James another apostle of Christ and one of the first three.

John was undoubtedly Jesus' favourite apostle in the Bible, the one He loved most.

But what was it about John that so endeared Jesus, that made Him love and treat him more specially than the others?

That and more we hope to find out in the next posts.

God bless.

None. They are bloody jews
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by DeepSight(m): 3:04pm On Oct 30, 2022
wirinet:

I have always hated these Christian (and Muslim) philosophy, that I should be grateful for being alive and on earth. Who send am work? Did I beg to be put on earth? He did it for his own pleasure without my consent. A human is put on this earth under circumstances he/she has absolutely no control, he/is expected to struggle, survive and reproduce. Then in less than 100 years dies. Because of that he/she is expected to worship a God for eternity. Mind you he/she might survive for just 15 years.
That's sadistic.

Wow. I could not have put it better. Another annoying aspect is how they always tell you to be thankful because things could always be worse. What a clever God that made it just so.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by baralatie(m): 3:12pm On Oct 30, 2022
MikeofAfrica:

The Bible made it clear that John was Jesus favourite disciple. Jesus only share His deepest secrets with John. Hence during the last Support, the other disciples pleaded with John to tell them whom will betray Jesus ( John 13: 21-26).
They believed that Jesus can only confide such secret to John.
Again before ascending to Heaven, Jesus told Peter that John will not die till He comes again ( John 21: 20-25).
Hence John lived longer than all the disciples. Jesus later fulfilled His promise by appearing to John at the Island of Patmos where He received and wrote the Book of Revelation.
Hi don't think Jesus Christ had John as his most favorite
It was although certain that Judas was not his choice per SE but he still protected him until he(Judas ) fulfilled his assignment.
John loved Jesus Christ but I don't think his love was more than I that of Peter (due to his experiences)
All of Christ apostle were very distinct therefore each had a distinct experience with him

Some were loud,some where quiet,some were vocal,some were supportive but all were loved deeply by Christ Jesus!
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by pascal558(m): 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2022
Apostle Paul is a motivational speaker, who gave hope to millions of christians.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by AbujaCitiBlog: 3:27pm On Oct 30, 2022
damosky12:
This thread isn't in line with Christianity. The Christian isn't expected to have favourite apostles...

1 Corinthians 3:3-7
[3]For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
[4]For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
[5]Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
[6]I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
[7]So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Peter, he was always so dramatic.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:37pm On Oct 30, 2022
wirinet:

What are you asking me to see?

I did not say anything about looking at the Bible, I said look even at your House called the world?
See!

Can a House build itself?

wirinet:

I have always hated these Christian (and Muslim) philosophy, that I should be grateful for being alive and on earth. Who send am work? Did I beg to be put on earth? He did it for his own pleasure without my consent.

1) I said nothing about being grateful for being alive.

2) You did not take permission from your phone or car to create them. And unlike your phone and car you have the solution and ability to unlive yourself because you hate your living, so there is no need for God or anything, just unlive yourself.

So, since it is a swim or sink thing, you are not supposed to be here. Throw away your talent (life) and die. God would still be God and whatever you get after your death you would be the only one who eats it. We would continue living and God would still be God!
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2022
My favorite is Apostle Paul .

Then , Prophet Elijah, but he's a prophet, not an apostle...if that still counts as favorite bible persons.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2022
Jikeo654:
see below
why here now
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by ezechi242: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2022
Guderian:

If you think those mofos in isreal are jews you really need to do serious research and study

At you telling me that the Israelites in isreal are actually turks?. Are you OK?
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Omolomo4eva(m): 4:14pm On Oct 30, 2022
Apostle Paul is my guy
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by ezechi242: 4:16pm On Oct 30, 2022
blueAgent:

Jesus practised christainity.

Christainity came from christ.

There are a lot of things you do not know which you first need to know.

First you need to know the true history of Bible Israel, this present Israel, NWO, and the role all this is playing in our present World conditions.

First Google the lost 10 tribes of Israel, compare it with Bible verses on Israel past and present.

https://www.cuttingedge.org/News/n2121.cfm

How did Jesus practice Christianity when Christianity began after the death of Jesus.

Stop allowing these business men that calls themselves pastors to decieve you.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by ObaKlaz: 4:27pm On Oct 30, 2022
CaveAdullam:

If it is Rhema Christian Network...

I was influenced by the teachings of Apostle Arome Osayi and Apostle Joshua Selma.

Even though I'm no longer a...I still appreciate their teachings and hold the Bible and every religion in high esteem.

Thanks.
Remnant Christian Network.
Apostle Arome Osayi.

I have my phones and PC stacked with his sermons.
Hopefully, I'll get to meet him in person eventually.

So... You quit being a Christian. That's interesting.
Thanks!
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by wirinet(m): 4:40pm On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

I did not say anything about looking at the Bible, I said look even at your House called the world?
See!

Can a House build itself?

1) I said nothing about being grateful for being alive.

2) You did not take permission from your phone or car to create them. And unlike your phone and car you have the solution and ability to unlive yourself because you hate your living, so there is no need for God or anything, just unlive yourself.

So, since it is a swim or sink thing, you are not supposed to be here. Throw away your talent (life) and die. God would still be God and whatever you get after your death you would be the only one who eats it. We would continue living and God would still be God!

How to you respond to such senseless post. All you wrote there does not make one iota of sense.

You and your God are very insecure.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by MikeofAfrica: 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2022
baralatie:

Hi don't think Jesus Christ had John as his most favorite
It was although certain that Judas was not his choice per SE but he still protected him until he(Judas ) fulfilled his assignment.
John loved Jesus Christ but I don't think his love was more than I that of Peter (due to his experiences)
All of Christ apostle were very distinct therefore each had a distinct experience with him

Some were loud,some where quiet,some were vocal,some were supportive but all were loved deeply by Christ Jesus!

I agree with you that Jesus Christ deeply loved all his disciples. However out of the 12 disciples, 3 were His inner Cabinet. They are Peter, James and John.
The secrets that He revealed to the three were more than the secrets that He revealed to the others. The three were with Him during His transfiguration ( Matthew 17). He also only took the three to the Garden of Gethsemane before His betrayer( Matthew 26:36-38).
Out of the three, the closest to Jesus was John. He is the favourite disciple of Jesus.

Just like humans, God also has preferences and favorites. Before Esau and Jacob were born, He prefered Jacob to Esau ( Romans 9: 10-13).
The reason we are alive today is because we are among the favorites of God like John . Millions of unborn babies die in the womb while millions die during childhood but we were not among them.
Millions died during the pandemic but like John, Jesus protected and kept us alive to be a living testimony.
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by flejnr2(f): 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2022
Suleman
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Ijb11: 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2022
Suleiman
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Ochyes: 5:33pm On Oct 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
My second favourite apostle in the Bible is Stephen.

The reason is when he was being attacked by his enemies, he didn't pray for them to die as many Christians do today, instead he would follow the example of Jesus and instead pray for them to be forgiven.

So it wasn't surprising that Jesus who is said to be sitting on the right hand of God, was seen standing at the right hand of God on that particular moment.

Moreover his prayer may have been pivotal to Paul's conversion, because it may been an entirely different story had he not prayed for the forgiveness of his enemies, but for them all to die by fire as many Christians do today, so the apostle Paul who most of them claim to love may never have lived to have that encounter with Christ that would change his course for good and lead him to be used by God as he was.

It is the extent to which he reminds of Christ and followed His teachings that made him to be my second favourite apostle in the Bible.

God bless.

Modified:

If Jesus the Master saw no evil in having a favourite apostle, and also telling His disciples that there is no greater prophet than John the baptist among several other occasions where He spoke in a similar vein, how much more His servants? Many Christians though think they know better than Jesus so no surprises with some thoughts here.

John 21:20-22 (KJV)

Then Peter, turning about, seeth THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED FOLLOWING; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jesus saith unto him, IF I WILL THAT HE TARRY TILL I COME, WHAT IS THAT TO THEE? follow thou me.

Luke 7:28 (KJV)

For I say unto you, AMONG THOSE THAT ARE BORN OF WOMEN THERE IS NOT A GREATER PROPHET THAN JOHN THE BAPTIST: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
Stephen was a deacon and not an apostle
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by blueAgent(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2022
ezechi242:

How did Jesus practice Christianity when Christianity began after the death of Jesus.

Stop allowing these business men that calls themselves pastors to decieve you.

You think christainity started after Christ's death?

Define Christainity for me?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Protect Your Child's Innocence In This Morally Bankrupt World / Is It Right For A Church To Be Located In An Hotel Premises? / Have You Ever Fallen Under Anointing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.