Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? (14172 Views)

Did Jesus Have A Favourite Apostle? / The First Ever Female Apostle In West Africa. / What Are Your Favourite Nigerian Gospel Songs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:14am On Oct 30, 2022
Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible?

Despite being the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep, it was observed that Jesus loved and was endeared to some sheep more than others.

Among His multitude of disciples, there were the first eleven who were also called His apostles (the 12th not included because he was called "a devil" ). Matthew 10:2-4, John 6:70

Among the first eleven, there were the first three. Matthew 17:1, Mark 14:3, Luke 8:51

Among the first three, there was the first one who was also called His beloved. John 20:2, 21:7.

It was this apostle that the other apostles, including Peter, often passed through to get some information from Jesus which they were curious about, but Jesus hadn't yet revealed to them. For instance, who was going to betray Him. John 13:21-26.

This was the only apostle that was said to have been there with Christ during His crucifixion after all His apostles were said to have fled and forsaken Him. It was of him Jesus had said to His mum who stood by His cross, "behold thy son!" and to the apostle, "behold thy mother!". John 19:26-27

If was of this same apostle that Jesus after His resurrection, said to Peter, "If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." John 21:22 (KJV)

While the apostle may not have tarried til the return of Jesus, he outlived every other apostle in the Bible, as he was the only one among them that was impossible to kill despite all the attempts made on his life, the last being when he was cast into pot of boiling oil, but instead of dying because of the heat, he emerged not just alive but also unharmed, which stunned the Roman ruler at the time, and all those who witnessed the miraculous incident, to the extent it sparked a revival among the Romans as many of them were converted and came to Christ as a result.

When it also came to revelation of the Word of God and things to come, he was head and shoulders above the rest. He was the only apostle in the Bible who revealed Jesus as Word of God that was in the beginning, which happens to be the greatest revelation of the Word of God any man could ever receive from above.

That apostle's name is John, the son of Zebedee, who was also the brother of James another apostle of Christ and one of the first three.

John was undoubtedly Jesus' favourite apostle in the Bible, the one He loved most.

But what was it about John that so endeared Jesus, that made Him love and treat him more specially than the others?

That and more we hope to find out in the next posts.

God bless.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:14am On Oct 30, 2022
During the ministry of Jesus on Earth, one of the things He was observed to have emphasized most in His teachings is the keeping of His Word. He went as far as saying that whoever kept His Word shall never die.

John 8:51 (KJV)

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

If He hadn't stressed it enough already, before His departure from Earth, He specifically commanded His apostles to teach all men to keep His Word.

Matthew 28:20 (KJV)

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

After I realized the magnitude of emphasis Jesus placed on the keeping of His Words, I went on to check out the books and writings of the apostles in the Bible to see if they followed suit.

I found out that although they had their own teachings of the Gospel of Christ, none of them specifically laid emphasis on the keeping of Jesus' Words as Christ Himself had done and commanded them to do except for the same John.

1 John 2:3-5 (KJV)

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

It became glaring to me what about him that made Christ loved him exceedingly and distinguished him from the rest.

It was because he was the one that loved Jesus the most because he took His Words and commandments most seriously of all the apostles, and Jesus said:

John 14:21 (KJV)

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."

Hence John was able to gain the love of Jesus to the extent of becoming His closest apostle while He was on Earth.

He earnestly desired to sit next to Him in His kingdom, but he didn't just say it with his mouth, he was also willing to do whatever it took achieve that. Matthew 10:35-40

Hence he paid much more attention to the details of the teachings and example of Jesus', so that where the other apostles get it wrong, he could get it right.

That was how he was able to be there for Jesus during His crucifixion when no other apostle was. For Jesus to tell His mum, "behold thy son" suggests that he reminded Jesus the most of Himself of all His apostles.

That was how John was able to excel above the other apostles in the revelations of God's Word.

It wasn't by coincidence that it was John that came closest to cracking the spiritual code of Jesus' saying, "If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death", that's if he didn't crack it, because I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't die but ascended to heaven alive as Enoch and Elijah had done, even as some accounts claim.

I also read somewhere a long time ago that his book (The Gospel According to John) has brought the most souls to Christ of all books in the Bible, and having also received the same revelation of God's Word, It wasn't surprising, because I knew the best way to win souls is to follow the example and teachings of Jesus who is the Perfect Master and greatest soul winner of all time.

Hence John obviously is also my favourite apostle as he was of Christ, so which is yours?

God bless.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by jesusjnr2020(m): 7:14am On Oct 30, 2022
My second favourite apostle in the Bible is Stephen.

The reason is when he was being attacked by his enemies, he didn't pray for them to die as many Christians do today, instead he would follow the example of Jesus and instead pray for them to be forgiven.

So it wasn't surprising that Jesus who is said to be sitting on the right hand of God, was seen standing at the right hand of God on that particular moment.

Moreover his prayer may have been pivotal to Paul's conversion, because it may been an entirely different story had he not prayed for the forgiveness of his enemies, but for them all to die by fire as many Christians do today, so the apostle Paul who most of them claim to love may never have lived to have that encounter with Christ that would change his course for good and lead him to be used by God as he was.

It is the extent to which he reminds of Christ and followed His teachings that made him to be my second favourite apostle in the Bible.

God bless.

Modified:

If Jesus the Master saw no evil in having a favourite apostle, and also telling His disciples that there is no greater prophet than John the baptist among several other occasions where He spoke in a similar vein, how much more His servants? Many Christians though think they know better than Jesus so no surprises with some thoughts here.

John 21:20-22 (KJV)

Then Peter, turning about, seeth THE DISCIPLE WHOM JESUS LOVED FOLLOWING; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
Jesus saith unto him, IF I WILL THAT HE TARRY TILL I COME, WHAT IS THAT TO THEE? follow thou me.

Luke 7:28 (KJV)

For I say unto you, AMONG THOSE THAT ARE BORN OF WOMEN THERE IS NOT A GREATER PROPHET THAN JOHN THE BAPTIST: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by hopefulLandlord: 8:04am On Oct 30, 2022
Apostle Thomas. Guy asked for proof and Jesus gave it to him but when I ask for proof I'm told to trust it's true and act like it's true that I should put full trust in a book written by man and had been written, rewritten , revised, rewritten , translated , retranslated, reretranslated, translated again , had some words removed, had some words added, revised again, then a council decided the parts that are worthy and those that aren't, then revised again , retranslated, reretranslated, handed over to my ancestors by their pink skinned slavemasters, translated again, retranslated again and finally passed on to me.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by extol1(m): 8:29am On Oct 30, 2022
Apostle Peter and James

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Dtruthspeaker: 8:40am On Oct 30, 2022
hopefulLandlord:
Apostle Thomas. Guy asked for proof and Jesus gave it to him but when I ask for proof I'm told to trust...

I tell you that you are the proof because you did not create yourself nor this House called earth you live in nor can this House build itself.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by hopefulLandlord: 8:43am On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

I tell you that you are the proof because you did not create yourself nor this House called earth you live in.

Thomas was all these yet asked for proof according to the Bible and your god gave him proof immediately.

pls don't quote me again. responding to you has IQ lowering effect cuz your ability to assimilate is abject

7 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by HomeTutorsPro: 8:46am On Oct 30, 2022
Apostle John, son of Sule, man of Omega town.
Aka commander of angelic credit alerts.
Let me stop here before the "touch not my anointed" crew call for my head.
Over to my bulletproof restroom to donate to the soak-away pit.

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by iCauseTrouble: 8:47am On Oct 30, 2022
angry
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by olusola200: 8:47am On Oct 30, 2022
Zarc
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 30, 2022
Peter, just because of his humanity. He life and ministry proved that we're mortals who are fallible.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by damosky12(m): 8:48am On Oct 30, 2022
This thread isn't in line with Christianity. The Christian isn't expected to have favourite apostles...

1 Corinthians 3:3-7
[3]For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
[4]For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
[5]Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
[6]I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
[7]So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Wayward1990: 8:48am On Oct 30, 2022
Judas Iscariot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Melodydoctor: 8:49am On Oct 30, 2022
Prophet Odumeje cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Maynman: 8:49am On Oct 30, 2022
wink

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Michaelpsych: 8:49am On Oct 30, 2022
Judas

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Frank150: 8:49am On Oct 30, 2022
Apostle Peter...

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 30, 2022
King Solomon.

Not my business if you say he wasn't an apostle. He was my favorite bible character. He knacked all colours of kpekuses and set biblical records.

6 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Sirseedorf(m): 8:50am On Oct 30, 2022
King Solomon

if you know you know, if you don't know forget it...

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Shadysen: 8:51am On Oct 30, 2022
paul the bad guy
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 8:52am On Oct 30, 2022
Peter, the violent agitator. cheesy

Peter walked on water, experienced the transfiguration, was given leadership of the church, and was intensely loyal to Christ. Worthy of emulation.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Gastrocnemius: 8:52am On Oct 30, 2022
Buddha3:
King Solomon.

Not my business if you say he wasn't an apostle. He was my favorite bible character. He knacked all colours of kpekuses and set biblical records.

Sirseedorf:
King Solomon

if you know you know, if you don't know forget it...

See ment grin

1 Like

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by ScamHunter: 8:53am On Oct 30, 2022
John...
The only one bold enough to go with Jesus all the way to the cross. Jesus consolation at His hour of need. The apostle that Jesus loved who proved that he also loved Jesus and wasn't afraid to die with his Lord.

6 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Brendaniel: 8:57am On Oct 30, 2022
I can't say I have a favourite apostle, because when you read each of their stories, most of them had very unique events that shows the awesomeness of God in a different way from the other.,..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by princechurchill(m): 8:57am On Oct 30, 2022
Na my favorite be this

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Charisco(m): 8:58am On Oct 30, 2022
Wow!
This is the first I enjoy reading, it touched my soul and I'm happy for that. Salvation is the key

7 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 30, 2022
Gastrocnemius:

See ment grin

E sure me say King Solomon protocol officer been live large!

Nigga must have been running kpekus auditions that year to determine who was suitable to meet with the King. Kai! See job wey for make sense abeg!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Samunique(m): 8:59am On Oct 30, 2022
All of them are God's servants with different gifts, level of grace and operations of the spirit, unto one God, one Lord, one Spirit, one church which is the body of Christ.

They're all my favorites !!!

Shalom !!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Jack3403: 9:00am On Oct 30, 2022
Paul

7 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by toffyz(m): 9:01am On Oct 30, 2022
jesusjnr2020:
Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible?

Despite being the Good Shepherd who laid down His life for His sheep, it was observed that Jesus loved and was endeared to some sheep more than others.

Among His multitude of disciples, there were the first eleven who were also called His apostles (the 12th not included because he was called "a devil" ). Matthew 10:2-4, John 6:70

Among the first eleven, there were the first three. Matthew 17:1, Mark 14:3, Luke 8:51

Among the first three, there was the first one who was also called His beloved. John 20:2, 21:7.

It was this apostle that the other apostles, including Peter, often passed through to get some information from Jesus which they were curious about, but Jesus hadn't yet revealed to them. For instance, who was going to betray Him. John 13:21-26.

This was the only apostle that was said to have been there with Christ during His crucifixion after all His apostles were said to have fled and forsaken Him. It was of him Jesus had said to His mum who stood by His cross, "behold thy son!" and to the apostle, "behold thy mother!". John 19:26-27

If was of this same apostle that Jesus after His resurrection, said to Peter, "If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me." John 21:22 (KJV)

While the apostle may not have tarried til the return of Jesus, he outlived every other apostle in the Bible, as he was the only one among them that was impossible to kill despite all the attempts made on his life, the last being when he was cast into pot of boiling oil, but instead of dying because of the heat, he emerged not just alive but also unharmed, which stunned the Roman ruler at the time, and all those who witnessed the miraculous incident, to the extent it sparked a revival among the Romans as many of them were converted and came to Christ as a result.

When it also came to revelation of the Word of God and things to come, he was head and shoulders above the rest. He was the only apostle in the Bible who revealed Jesus as Word of God that was in the beginning, which happens to be the greatest revelation of the Word of God any man could ever receive from above.

That apostle's name is John, the son of Zebedee, who was also the brother of James another apostle of Christ and one of the first three.

John was undoubtedly Jesus' favourite apostle in the Bible, the one He loved most.

But what was it about John that so endeared Jesus, that made Him love and treat him more specially than the others?

That and more we hope to find out in the next posts.

God bless.
Is he the same John that baptised Jesus Christ?
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by YourHerbalOrgan(f): 9:01am On Oct 30, 2022
apostle Paul

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Your Favourite Apostle In The Bible? by Samunique(m): 9:06am On Oct 30, 2022
hopefulLandlord:
Apostle Thomas. Guy asked for proof and Jesus gave it to him but when I ask for proof I'm told to trust it's true and act like it's true that I should put full trust in a book written by man and had been written, rewritten , revised, rewritten , translated , retranslated, reretranslated, translated again , had some words removed, had some words added, revised again, then a council decided the parts that are worthy and those that aren't, then revised again , retranslated, reretranslated, handed over to your ancestors,translated again, retranslated again and finally passed on to me.
It will do you a whole lot of good if you can provide evidences substiate, validate your claim and this rubbish you type here.
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

TB Joshua On Leadership Newspaper Interview: I Never Spoke With Anyone / My Journey to The Spirit World And How God Delivered Me / Romance With Female Gospel Singer, Sinach Crashed Oyakhilome’s Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.