Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,097 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. (21805 Views)

Nigerians And South Africans Unite To Mock Meek Mill / New Whatsapp Group For Music Producer Only / Best Site For Music Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 05, 2022
I remember that guy That sang "I Don Taya to make sense"I can't remember his name , Nigerians only follow the beat of a song we don't care about the lyrics grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by jefe03(m): 5:11pm On Nov 05, 2022
Twice as tall > made in lagos

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Discountsempai: 5:12pm On Nov 05, 2022
DryMouth:
Lol... I laugh when people say wizkid and Davido are talented cheesy grin grin

Tuface, sound sultan, Brymo, Asa, omahlay, are real talents

There are people who say the same thing about your favored musicians...tastes change overtime.

Not me tho...Sound Sultan and Asa are very good.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Honchoslim16(m): 5:12pm On Nov 05, 2022
sprints1:
hip hop wey don die since ten years ago.
How did it die?

When I'm talking about Hip Hop, i don't refer to Afro songs

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by zinaunreal(m): 5:12pm On Nov 05, 2022
Ungodly:
To begin with, I can not even find an artiste with good lyrical content and their songs In the top 10 or even top 20 to say the least on the Nigeria Apple Music Charts,
Artistes like Brymo, Asa, Johnny Drille, Lady Donli, Bez, Timi Dakolo, and Darey Art Alade don’t appear on the chart with their songs with good lyrical content written all over it, Most of their songs even struggle to be in the top 40 charts and yet Nigerians drag the artistes that knows the Nigeria market and what Nigerians want every day for singing songs with below par lyrics…

I was even surprised when I was checking my Twitter page on a certain day and I found Johnny Drille tweeting about being happy about his song, the one with Don Jazzy getting in the top 40 Nigerian Apple Music chart which I find weird…

In my opinion, this only proves one thing,

1) Cautious and lyrically wise music won’t get you anywhere in Nigeria and if it could then not somewhere far. Judging by how far and or how successful the artistes who were and are cautious about the kind of lyrics they put out to their fans go … Nigerians are jolly and merry people, so they want to have fun and only few people of them have the time for lyrics.

To back up my fact, I checked Nigeria's top twenty (20) Apple Music chart lately and below is the attachment of what I found on the chart. Top 20.

Nobody cares. Na even trenches song dey reign now grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by frankmoney(m): 5:13pm On Nov 05, 2022
Everyone must Not like Asa or brymo
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Brunicekid(m): 5:16pm On Nov 05, 2022
malali:
Ifeanyi Adeleke was autistic.
His death reeks of orchestration.
Societal stigma of rich wealthy people having autistic children should be softened.

#Autism speaks
Autistic? Really??

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by jojothaiv(m): 5:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
Till date, I can't relate to Asake songs, I've tried countless times but omo, e no just enter me.

Meanwhile, Boogey 'Damage Conrol' addresses most of the issues OP is talking about.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by emirofkabul(m): 5:17pm On Nov 05, 2022
It the culture and the lifestyle of the people.

I love nonso amadi a lot but guess what, there are more Americans, British, Canadian and Australian that listen to his song than the folks from his country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by olabisibash(m): 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2022
LG soundbar forsale
Bluetooth , aux, optical connectivity
Location... osogbo
Price 30k

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Vulcan24(m): 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Lots of Nigerians still go fo lyrical content but they are not loud

Empty barrel makes the most sound
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by OgunkeelAllMod: 5:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
I write and compose regae, dancehall, rap and general Nigerian type of music well... If you need a ghostwriter dm me or email only let talk business idea plenty for a hit song cool
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by DryMouth: 5:29pm On Nov 05, 2022
Discountsempai:

There are people who say the same thing about your favored musicians...tastes change overtime.

Not me tho...Sound Sultan and Asa are very good.
I've never been a fan of Nigerian songs but i know talented artiste when i hear one sing

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Candidlady: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2022
sprints1:
hip hop wey don die since ten years ago.

Are you sure you know what you are saying undecided

Naive people everywhere
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by riverbird: 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2022
Somebody called asake an artist grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Baxv8a: 5:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
Let me teach you how to close greedy white clients, and Earn in dollars starting today with Instagram!!!
I've got Proofs attached too...

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by etrange: 5:42pm On Nov 05, 2022
Music is an art. Generally speaking, different aspects of music appeal to different people. For some, it's the lyrics and for others, the beats. None is essentially superior to the other. Many people hear the beat before the lyrics, and that's OK. Our preferences don't necessarily make us better than anyone. Besides, expecting consistency here undermines the nature of art. Just do you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BrutusOj(m): 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
This generation will regret when they grow old. How can a papa of 60 years old who enjoys music listen to the likes of WizKid, Davido and Burna boy at old age? Naija old school musics in the next 20 years will be wack wack if at all the papas and mamas then will be proud of listening to old school musics from naija.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BrutusOj(m): 5:53pm On Nov 05, 2022
etrange:
Music is an art. Generally speaking, different aspects of music appeal to different people. For some, it's the lyrics and for others, the beats. None is essentially superior to the other. Many people hear the beat before the lyrics, and that's OK. Our preferences don't necessarily make us better than anyone. Besides, expecting consistency here undermines the nature of art. Just do you.
Can't they write good lyrics and match them with good beats? There are some of this naija music that you cannot play openly as it portray you as a morally bankrupt person. We all enjoyed the likes of 2face, African China and co back in early 2000, they got good lyrics and danceable beats we flowed with.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Joystic: 5:56pm On Nov 05, 2022
Nobody's even stating the matter of fact as it is.

Truth is there are two types of artists in the industry today, those that make good lyrics but have dull vibes/tune/melody to their songs and then others who have choosen to sacrifice lyrical content for melody.. And as for who wins the arm race, I guess we all know the answer.

Personally I'm all for both.. You can't have one at the expense of the other and regard the said artist as talented.

There's this nairalander kenedyx, you can search his thread, he droped one freestyle like that... that's the kind of talent I'm talking about, great melody and lyrics too.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Lamanii22(f): 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2022
That asake that’s just everywhere eehn… I can’t even relate to his songs….

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by etrange: 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
BrutusOj:
Can't they write good lyrics and match them with good beats? There are some of this naija music that you cannot play openly as it portray you as a morally bankrupt person. We all enjoyed likes of 2face, African China back and co in early 2000, they got good lyrics and danceable beats we flowed with.

They could, but they don’t need to do that before they're considered good. That's my point. They're not obliged to do that. I like good lyrics too. I helps my imagination while listening to a song. Simply put, I connect better when listening to Micheal Jackson than when listening to Davido. But that's me and it doesn't make me better than anyone. Davido has great beats and for many people, that's essentially enough. He can keep selling his beats to those that like it while I search for my lyrics somewhere else. You're not a musician cause it's not your thing. Likewise, they place beats over lyrics cause lyrics is not thier thing.

That said, except the words are really dirty, anybody that sees you as not being at par simply because you're listening to a song that is not lyrically rich does not understand art. Music does not even needs words to be good. Lyrics are secondary to music. By definition, music is an organized sound. When mixed with words, it becomes a song. We all listen to music for different reasons; a dancer, for example, only needs a good beat. Some Cisquo's songs had the worst lyrics of all time, but he was one of the most successful black musicians of his time.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Nonexisting1: 6:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
Thank God I don't listen to the crap they make here that they call music. The only guy I feel a little now is Patoranking.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by TakeNigeriaBack: 6:35pm On Nov 05, 2022
buygala:
Who are you to judge our taste in Music? ..and why exactly will you use Western criteria to judge an African's taste in music?

So as full-blooded Africans, we should be listening to musicians who sing like Jim Reeves, Luther Vandross, and Rihanna? ...

When we have musicians like late Perikoma, Osadebe, KWAM 1, Arabambi, Ali Jita and our contemporary Zanku and Skelewu musicians.

Finally, someone who is not totally colonial brainwashed. Oil dey your head joor.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BRATISLAVA: 6:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
buygala:
Who are you to judge our taste in Music? ..and why exactly will you use Western criteria to judge an African's taste in music?

So as full-blooded Africans, we should be listening to musicians who sing like Jim Reeves, Luther Vandross, and Rihanna? ...

When we have musicians like late Perikoma, Osadebe, KWAM 1, Arabambi, Ali Jita and our contemporary Zanku and Skelewu musicians.

What a pained contribution.

It's judgment because you're one of the people that listen to such tasteless music. Focus on the message, drop sentiment.

Just because music is African doesn't mean it has to be senseless from beat to lyrics.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by ncoolsome(m): 6:48pm On Nov 05, 2022
immortalcrown:
Nigerians rate songs based on artist's fame, not based on the song itself.

If you do not lavish money and chill with big boys, Nigerians will ignore your good song. It takes foreign agencies to reward those good musicians. Sony Music rewarded Tekno before Nigeria began to respect him. See how white people gather at Cavemen shows. Guiness rewarded Cavemen in Nigeria.

Only 2Face Idibia manages to get a befitting recognition in Nigeria.

Selebobo (aka Mix Monster) has always been a monster in beat making, mixing and mastering. Biggest artists then ignored him. Only Tekno, Yemi Alade and few upcoming artists then recognized and consistently patronized him. But the same Sony Music entered Nigeria, recognized and rewarded Sele Bobo. Sadly, Dekumzy has not been able to get his own deserved recognition. But Dekumzy, being a wise guy, resorted to making scores for Nollywood movies and he makes money from that. Artists like Bracket, Flavour, Desperate Chicks and Stormrex had their most populous songs produced by Dekumzy. Should I talk about the popular movie score that says, "You are the treasure that I find, the love that I seek for many years was right inside..."? Everyone loves the song but only few people know the song was composed and perfomed by Dekumzy.

Dekumzy didn't sing that song...Adaz did..
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by clockwisereport: 6:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
immortalcrown:
Nigerians rate songs based on artist's fame, not based on the song itself.

If you do not lavish money and chill with big boys, Nigerians will ignore your good song. It takes foreign agencies to reward those good musicians. Sony Music rewarded Tekno before Nigeria began to respect him. See how white people gather at Cavemen shows. Guiness rewarded Cavemen in Nigeria.

Only 2Face Idibia manages to get a befitting recognition in Nigeria.

This also affects music producers. Producers who don't lavish money and chill with big boys are boycotted by big artists. Selebobo (aka Mix Monster) has always been a monster in beat making, mixing and mastering. Biggest artists then ignored him. Only Tekno, Yemi Alade and few upcoming artists then recognized and consistently patronized him. But the same Sony Music entered Nigeria, recognized and rewarded Sele Bobo. Sadly, Dekumzy has not been able to get his own deserved recognition. But Dekumzy, being a wise guy, resorted to making scores for Nollywood movies and he makes money from that. Artists like Bracket, Flavour, Desperate Chicks and Stormrex had their most populous songs produced by Dekumzy. Should I talk about the popular movie score that says, "You are the treasure that I find, the love that I seek for many years was right inside..."? Everyone loves the song but only few people know the song was composed and perfomed by Dekumzy.

I can swear with my life that you are an Enugu boy
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Pimine: 6:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
I understand what you're saying o but you're not entirely correct.

Some of those songs have excellent lyrics - you're only saying this because some of them were written in broken english. Listen to Back in uni, ku lo sa, rush, xtra cool and tell me again that those songs have no lyrical content. Omo even Burna Boy's last last has superb lyrics.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by immortalcrown(m): 6:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
ncoolsome:

Dekumzy didn't sing that song...Black child did..
You are wrong. Ask anybody that is well-informed about Nollywood, Dekumzy composed and perfomed that song.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Pimine: 6:54pm On Nov 05, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

What a pained contribution.

It's judgment because you're one of the people that listen to such tasteless music. Focus on the message, drop sentiment.

Just because music is African doesn't mean it has to be senseless from beat to lyrics.
Afro beats is not senseless my niggarrr. The whole world is jumping on the Afro beats train. Even me sef don abandon my R&B type songs and I'm listening to and writing more of Afro Beats songs now.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! / Flavour - Chinny Baby [OFFICIAL VIDEO] / Download Chris Brown-home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.