Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. (21786 Views)

Nigerians And South Africans Unite To Mock Meek Mill / New Whatsapp Group For Music Producer Only / Best Site For Music Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Pimine: 10:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
Karleb:

Thank you.

If it's not in English then it's crap to some people.

Lyrics isn't even everything to music.

How you sing it, the introduction, interlude, outro, syncopations, adlip, riffs, run, beat etc. Matters a lot.

Aside all these, marketing matters the most.

Burna boy is one of those with good quality music in Nigeria and he is selling like pure water. Nullifying the premise of this thread.

Asake's new album is actually very good, some other people might term it noise because it is peculiar with the street but music wise, it is a very good album. In my opinion, it's better than Chike's latest album.
Yeah man. I'm 100% with you on this submission. Afro beats is ours and its a mad sound whether sung in Yoruba, Igbo or broken english.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Pimine: 10:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

How could you drop RnB for African music? Nigerian music in particular doesn't sound good or have meaningful lyrics. It's just noise. I've tried to like it but just can't.
Now that's a you thing, and it's not necessarily a bad thing - variety is the spice of life abi?. However, I don't think afro beats is in any way inferior to RnB.

Everly, me I wan blow so I have to concentrate on what Nigerians enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Allisgud: 10:43pm On Nov 05, 2022
Tokskob2008:
It's the youth that usually carries much weight and decides the kind of music and artist popularity in a given generation but unfortunately this present generation of youths listens and vibes to crappy and meaningless music and artist.

Nigeria's best and evergreen meaningful Hip Hop came to and end around 2010 or so with the likes of Idris,2face, 9ice,Mode9, Face etc. Anything after these guy's era are mere crap or average at best. I find it very difficult to listen to all this new songs full of slangs, Tramadol, SK and the rest.
the same way u rate good music ended 2010,that's the same way the older folks older than u will say good music ended 2000,so u have been left behind
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Probz(m): 10:53pm On Nov 05, 2022
It’s called being varied.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Bobbiee: 11:08pm On Nov 05, 2022
Nigerian music taste is a reflection of their intelligence. Wild animals are drawn to the grunting, bleating, and squealing that is the wilderness. The vast majority of our population who unsurprisingly are mentally deficient would be drawn to what they can understand, music that they "vibe" to, which unsurprisingly is mindless drivel

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by myked(m): 12:07am On Nov 06, 2022
A
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Spirithusband: 12:11am On Nov 06, 2022
myked:
Lots of opinions and classifications here tbh, and a lot of what's been said holds true for Nigerians.

A lot of people have different reasons why they listen to music and the factors that influence their choice of music.

Some people completely go with trending music, good or poor lyrics.
A few others are interested in lyrics and song meanings.

And then there's us (the weirdos)... We usually seek out our own music.
I listen to albums as soon as I can when they are released and choose songs that I like before people start sharing their opinions (online and elsewhere) and trying to influence what I listen to.

We go out as well, I seek out songs from other countries as well (Kenyan, Egypt, Ethiopian, Spain, etc)... I find songs I love and enjoy singing along to.

Tiktokers should know the Nakupenda song by Jay Melody, thing is I already loved a song he wrote for Nandy, Kivuruge (You should check it out).

We don't care what's trending or not, we just listen to what we like. Old or new.

A few songs I sing along to even though they're not in my language (bonus tip - I don't dance):
N'iru N'iru - Igbo
Kivuruge - Kenyan
Tattoo - Latino
Tilobign - Ethiopian
Vete - Latino

Weird

A bit similar to me. Good music, for Me, beats time. So, I still listen to old songs and sing along - word for word. Also, these days, artists just release an ep with four tracks and say they have projects. I still prefer full length albums. So my playlist is a mixture of old and new, no matter the genre. As long as it's good music.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by meobizy(f): 2:03am On Nov 06, 2022
Recycled topic. The moderators have quotas. E dey like election matter no dey pull traffic like before.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by LILTJAY: 2:09am On Nov 06, 2022
OgunkeelAllMod:
lolss .e pain your stupid black asshole die cheesy ain't your fuvking mate boy, watch your mouse trap before I fill it up with my piss. Dumbfukk black nitwit
hahahaha fvcking nincompoop coming here to form shit...
you must have inherited your stupidity from your accused parents..
bloody domestic bastard cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by KunGioKehRah: 4:24am On Nov 06, 2022
Away from the topic

Most people forget that there are many genres in music

Afrobeats
Dancehall
Reggae
Apala
Fuji
Alte
R and B (rock and blues)
Afrofusion(different from afro beats)
Afrojuju( created by shina peters)
Juju( like king sunny Ade)
And so on and so on

And another big aspect is the business side of music

If you watched EMPIRE, you will have learnt one or two things about the business aspect of the music industry.
For you to just fall from the sky and be makings hits, and topping charts like guys like ASAKE, FIREBOY, CKAY and others is not rocket science, you will need to know alot about the business side of music.
Guys like Don Jazzy, Kennis Music, Olamide( as he is now promoting ASAKE, FIREBOY, and others) are consistent because they are deep and versatile in the industry

They once interviewed KING SUNNY ADE, like ten twenty years ago about if the music industry is for the poor and he replied simply that a guitar is sold back then for N75,000 (and with dollar brouhaha, now in 2022, it will be more than that), so if you don't have money, you can't make good music in Nigeria that everyone will be listening to,
WIZKID get money
Davido get money
Burnaboy get money

That is why you always see them topping charts everyday, every second
You went to a show, show promoters will collect money, your managers will collect money, djs and radio stations, television stations and blogger websites like( naijaloaded and tooxclusive or this new guy trendybeats, ) will collect money before they play your song or air your songs)
I was listening to one interview by ShattaWale complaining about the music industry in Ghana, he said that no one helped him to create his brand, he did it all by himself.

Now just imagine, you as a musician, wanting to perform at an event or show, you will be thinking of generator, you will be thinking of microphone, you will be thinking of loudspeakers? EHN?

Even if a musician is singing "pangolo", "pangolo", he deserves some credit because before you can hear someone on the radio or see him on the tv, oh boy do you know the kind of work, time, effort, energy and hardwork, and money he had funnelled into his art before you are seeing him or watching him online or on tv?
That's is why copyright is not a small issue( but that is a topic for another day)

So don't judge or criticise a genre of music as irregular or distasteful because you don't like it. Every man with him wife, your wife might be ugly for my face and my wife might be ugly for you.

Each person with him wahala.

Even some of those musicians don run down or broke, some of them don die, some are still alive but no one knows them again, like AZADUS, Danfo Drivers( one of them died), Sky B, Eldee( he left music for banking ),

Some of them dey face hell for their life but no one knows, from drug abuse, to fame issues, marriage issues, family issues and so on.

If we celebrate our musicians they way we celebrate our politicians. They, musicians even deserve more because they create their content by themselves, (even if they buy it) they Funnel alot of energy, time and dedication to their work, unlike politicians who use our money to work for us and still ask for recognition and awards. Fela, sunny Ade, and many others,earn foreign exchange for Nigeria when visitors come to Nigeria to watch their shows. But do you know how Fela suffered before his brand was accepted?

Everybody wants to be WIZKID, BURNABOY, AND DAVIDO,
BUT NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO ENDURE WHAT THEY HAVE ENDURED.
you said wizkid dey sing yansh and bumbum, well that's what sells in Nigeria , so they are giving grass to the grass eaters and flesh to flesh eaters, that's what the are doing.

It is well
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Kendrick80(m): 6:47am On Nov 06, 2022
JoeRizzla:
Hip Hop For Life.

If you want listen to songs with lyrics stroll down to hip hop,
2pac
Biggie Small
Nas
Eminem
J.cole
Migos(Rip - TakeOff)
Jesse Jagz
M.I
A.Q.

The only artists that has lyrics on his songs is Runtown, the rest na noise to me
What of Sinzu(saucekid) and blackbonez
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Mirasteel: 7:17am On Nov 06, 2022
Nigerians love silly songs with rubbish lyrics
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by RPG2020(m): 7:43am On Nov 06, 2022
Parapoo07:
Don't mind them and we have great songs like BATTLEREADY by Dbull

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by mymen(m): 9:20am On Nov 06, 2022
DryMouth:
Lol... I laugh when people say wizkid and Davido are talented cheesy grin grin

Tuface, sound sultan, Brymo, Asa, omahlay, are real talents

You spoil everything by adding Omahlay
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Chloraseptic: 9:24am On Nov 06, 2022
akwesenana:

You meant number 2 right? smiley

Noth of you should rest I'm the number 1 fan.

Y'all can come 2nd and 3rd
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by DryMouth: 9:41am On Nov 06, 2022
mymen:

You spoil everything by adding Omahlay
The guy is good.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by akwesenana: 10:11am On Nov 06, 2022
Chloraseptic:

Noth of you should rest I'm the number 1 fan.

Y'all can come 2nd and 3rd
Enter line.
No 3.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by KennethEnyi(m): 10:18am On Nov 06, 2022
favorlite:
I'm about to be evicted. Please help.

Oga nothing concern us
Every man with his cross to carry
That’s the point of the Jesus story…
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by KennethEnyi(m): 10:19am On Nov 06, 2022
akwesenana:
Nobody listens to Eminem here angry
J Cole ??
Joyner Lucas??
Fucking lyricist

Add 21 savage slaughter gang chief. cool
Peace to Takeoff cool

Takeoff was a mumble rapper and a trash artist
He will not be missed…

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by KennethEnyi(m): 10:21am On Nov 06, 2022
emirofkabul:
It the culture and the lifestyle of the people.

I love nonso amadi a lot but guess what, there are more Americans, British, Canadian and Australian that listen to his song than the folks from his country.

Useless poverty mentality lifestyle
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by KennethEnyi(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2022
I don’t get that ASAKE guy just dey sing rubbish plus he looks like trash
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by AfroKnight: 10:25am On Nov 06, 2022
A country that rewards inept leaders? Why are you surprised by the quality of music that they love?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by akwesenana: 10:28am On Nov 06, 2022
KennethEnyi:

Takeoff was a mumble rapper and a trash artist
He will not be missed…
Trash artist yeah.
That's why niggas used to feature only quavo and Offset.

But I liked him.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by kingxsamz(m): 1:29pm On Nov 06, 2022
Ungodly:
To begin with, I can not even find an artiste with good lyrical content and their songs In the top 10 or even top 20 to say the least on the Nigeria Apple Music Charts,
Artistes like Brymo, Asa, Johnny Drille, Lady Donli, Bez, Timi Dakolo, and Darey Art Alade don’t appear on the chart with their songs with good lyrical content written all over it, Most of their songs even struggle to be in the top 40 charts and yet Nigerians drag the artistes that knows the Nigeria market and what Nigerians want every day for singing songs with below par lyrics…

I was even surprised when I was checking my Twitter page on a certain day and I found Johnny Drille tweeting about being happy about his song, the one with Don Jazzy getting in the top 40 Nigerian Apple Music chart which I find weird…

In my opinion, this only proves one thing,

1) Cautious and lyrically wise music won’t get you anywhere in Nigeria and if it could then not somewhere far. Judging by how far and or how successful the artistes who were and are cautious about the kind of lyrics they put out to their fans go … Nigerians are jolly and merry people, so they want to have fun and only few people of them have the time for lyrics.

To back up my fact, I checked Nigeria's top twenty (20) Apple Music chart lately and below is the attachment of what I found on the chart. Top 20.

It's all about the beat. Forget conscious music.
If Johnny drille can make songs that one can move to with deep lyrics, people will enjoy it.
Nigerians don't like slow music or music one listens to when heartbroken. They love what makes them dance. I see nothing wrong with that. Also, nothing wrong with artists putting effort in their pen game.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by kingxsamz(m): 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2022
DryMouth:
Lol... I laugh when people say wizkid and Davido are talented cheesy grin grin

Tuface, sound sultan, Brymo, Asa, omahlay, are real talents

Make dem play Brymo for club? undecided
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Tundex911: 1:58pm On Nov 06, 2022
Aside from VECTORTHAVIPER and BRYMO

No one else, my choice
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by bhassan20: 4:22pm On Nov 06, 2022
malali:
Ifeanyi Adeleke was autistic.
His death reeks of orchestration.
The societal stigma of rich wealthy people having autistic children should be softened.

#Autism speaks

Are you sure of your claims? Moreover, in all the videos of the boy, I noticed that he hardly spoke audibly.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by malali: 5:47pm On Nov 06, 2022
bhassan20:

Are you sure of your claims? Moreover, in all the videos of the boy, I noticed that he hardly spoke audibly.

I am 99% sure, that boy had signs of autism, look at all his video, he doesnt engage, he is in his own world, he is 3 years old.He also does multiple movements know as "echolalia"
The Adeleke family knew and there were under pressure of time because 1 more year....the whole world would have know.By the time he is 4 years old even an illiterate person would have know this child is "off"
Look at multiple video with Davido and ifeanyi barely any interaction.
Even when swimming with Davido....Davido calls him "this one".....Who calls his child this one?
The boy hardly focuses on camera
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by samuelthaking(m): 4:43am On Nov 07, 2022
JoeRizzla:
Hip Hop For Life.

If you want listen to songs with lyrics stroll down to hip hop,
2pac
Biggie Small
Nas
Eminem
J.cole
Migos(Rip - TakeOff)
Jesse Jagz
M.I
A.Q.

The only artists that has lyrics on his songs is Runtown, the rest na noise to me
Migos and lyrics, smh
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Ungodly: 2:40pm On Nov 07, 2022
jefe03:
Twice as tall > made in lagos
cap of the century

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

D'banj - Fall In Love Ft. Genevieve | Official Video / Top Ten Music Videos Featuring Nigerian Politicians. / Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.