Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. (21802 Views)

Nigerians And South Africans Unite To Mock Meek Mill / New Whatsapp Group For Music Producer Only / Best Site For Music Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by masseratti: 6:56pm On Nov 05, 2022
sprints1:
Don't blame dem blame the gen zs who lack good taste for music I cannot even listen to that asake abi wetin be his name. They don't know how to sing. Na beat we dey listen to now. Every naija song na dancehall. Though I no blame naija even american music too na d same these days all trash.
you can't vibe to asake because most of his words in his lyrics are street words, it's understandable if you can't understand it, we that we do enjoy it to the fullest, the guy is really talented forgetaboutit.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by masseratti: 6:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
Lamanii22:
That asake that’s just everywhere eehn… I can’t even relate to his songs….
you can't, because you not from the street, it's understandable.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Bahamas95(m): 7:18pm On Nov 05, 2022
Nigerians are naturally fun lovers, we catch cruise with everything be it good or bad.

Music is what gives the masses joy and relief from the hardship caused by the demonic politicians. Listening to music with good lyrics will make them sober and they'll remember all their problems.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Johel(m): 7:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Ungodly:
To begin with, I can not even find an artiste with good lyrical content and their songs In the top 10 or even top 20 to say the least on the Nigeria Apple Music Charts,
Artistes like Brymo, Asa, Johnny Drille, Lady Donli, Bez, Timi Dakolo, and Darey Art Alade don’t appear on the chart with their songs with good lyrical content written all over it, Most of their songs even struggle to be in the top 40 charts and yet Nigerians drag the artistes that knows the Nigeria market and what Nigerians want every day for singing songs with below par lyrics…

I was even surprised when I was checking my Twitter page on a certain day and I found Johnny Drille tweeting about being happy about his song, the one with Don Jazzy getting in the top 40 Nigerian Apple Music chart which I find weird…

In my opinion, this only proves one thing,

1) Cautious and lyrically wise music won’t get you anywhere in Nigeria and if it could then not somewhere far. Judging by how far and or how successful the artistes who were and are cautious about the kind of lyrics they put out to their fans go … Nigerians are jolly and merry people, so they want to have fun and only few people of them have the time for lyrics.

To back up my fact, I checked Nigeria's top twenty (20) Apple Music chart lately and below is the attachment of what I found on the chart. Top 20.

The fans wants rubbish that's why they dish out rubbish.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by InvertedHammer: 7:34pm On Nov 05, 2022
Ungodly:
To begin with, I can not even find an artiste with good lyrical content and their songs In the top 10 or even top 20 to say the least on the Nigeria Apple Music Charts,
Artistes like Brymo, Asa, Johnny Drille, Lady Donli, Bez, Timi Dakolo, and Darey Art Alade don’t appear on the chart with their songs with good lyrical content written all over it, Most of their songs even struggle to be in the top 40 charts and yet Nigerians drag the artistes that knows the Nigeria market and what Nigerians want every day for singing songs with below par lyrics…

I was even surprised when I was checking my Twitter page on a certain day and I found Johnny Drille tweeting about being happy about his song, the one with Don Jazzy getting in the top 40 Nigerian Apple Music chart which I find weird…

In my opinion, this only proves one thing,

1) Cautious and lyrically wise music won’t get you anywhere in Nigeria and if it could then not somewhere far. Judging by how far and or how successful the artistes who were and are cautious about the kind of lyrics they put out to their fans go … Nigerians are jolly and merry people, so they want to have fun and only few people of them have the time for lyrics.

To back up my fact, I checked Nigeria's top twenty (20) Apple Music chart lately and below is the attachment of what I found on the chart. Top 20.

/

African China needs to get back in the studio.

/

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by ObalendeCMS: 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2022
Most Nigeria audience dumb gan; check their movies too.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by AYNL: 8:07pm On Nov 05, 2022
some people and forming woke with their Stoopid nostalgia, feeling elderly all the time

firstly music doesn't revolve around lyrics alone

secondly there are many genres of music with their styles

thirdly Africans, especially Nigerian will continue to suffer from low self esteem

you mentioned artistes like asa brymo and others, and it left me wondering how much do you even understand music?

you don't judge music on the genre these people do

what about Fuji, juju, folks, gospel,afrobeat?

these artistes and songs you came here to rant about do their things and your faves do theirs too

your faves are known too, tell me why are they not getting the recognition, accolades, rating, awards like the ones you're bashing here?

the reason some Africans will never be free from the shackles if low self esteem is because, if you look beyond Nigerian music, most of these foreign artistes do the same kind of music our own does

the biggest and the best amongst them do the same thing

if you really want to criticize Nigerian artists fort what they do

start from overseas, WTF, what do you even know about music, do you sing?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Chrisvotel: 8:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
DryMouth:
Lol... I laugh when people say wizkid and Davido are talented cheesy grin grin

Tuface, sound sultan, Brymo, Asa, omahlay, are real talents
you forgot to mention Fireboy. Joeboy and Ayra star

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BRATISLAVA: 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2022
Pimine:

Afro beats is not senseless my niggarrr. The whole world is jumping on the Afro beats train. Even me sef don abandon my R&B type songs and I'm listening to and writing more of Afro Beats songs now.

How could you drop RnB for African music? Nigerian music in particular doesn't sound good or have meaningful lyrics. It's just noise. I've tried to like it but just can't.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by benqo01(m): 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2022
OP truth is 70% of music listeners in Nigeria don't care about meaningful lyrics,dey just want to dance to the beat,that is why it is very hard for some of those with good lyrical content to make it to top spot on the chart.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by benqo01(m): 8:21pm On Nov 05, 2022
That is why the music can't grow beyond what it is

In the US they have a standard Music industry,unlike what we have here in Nigeria we don't have a standard Music industr

In the US all genre of music make massive wave they listen to all kind,their music market is so so big thereby giving them the advantage over us.

Sometimes i get tired of what most artiste do sing like why dropping the regular shit
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Wealthyonos(m): 8:23pm On Nov 05, 2022
Releasing this track titled LAND OF MONEY today.
You can listen to it here..

https://audiomack.com/young-trillionaire/song/land-of-money-1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by LILTJAY: 8:40pm On Nov 05, 2022
OgunkeelAllMod:
I write and compose regae, dancehall, rap and general Nigerian type of music well... If you need a ghostwriter dm me or email only let talk business idea plenty for a hit song cool
write and blow yourself.
bastard
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by LienwaltAbel(m): 8:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
Who cares bruh?
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by LILTJAY: 9:08pm On Nov 05, 2022
Nigerian artistes should start employing songwriters.. you employ songwriters, you pay them, they write good lyrics & songs for you, and you sing meaningful songs..
the reason why US artistes are the most influential and richest is because if they can't write songs, they employ songwriters to do that for them.. in that way, they don't release trash like the ones we have in Nigeria and generally Africa..
check the lyrics of any American music, you will see most of the songs were written by songwriters.. (some like 5 songwriters for one music)..
not everybody have the talent to write songs
only few Nigeria artistes are trying in writing songs like ruger, arya star, ladipoe. the rest are trash especially that ugly asake..
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Doyou2019: 9:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
ednut1:
Abeg rest. Listen to what you like. Hunger and poverty dey land musicians will do what has been selling, record labels too will promote same.
grin
This your comment just reminded me about a song by rapper Overdoze who liked to rap in Queen's English in the early 2000s. Part of the chorus goes something like this :
Beta talk something wey all man fit understand or na hunger go kill you this year grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Karleb(m): 9:16pm On Nov 05, 2022
Pimine:
I understand what you're saying o but you're not entirely correct.

Some of those songs have excellent lyrics - you're only saying this because some of them were written in broken english. Listen to Back in uni, ku lo sa, rush, xtra cool and tell me again that those songs have no lyrical content. Omo even Burna Boy's last last has superb lyrics.

Thank you.

If it's not in English then it's crap to some people.

Lyrics isn't even everything to music.

How you sing it, the introduction, interlude, outro, syncopations, adlip, riffs, run, beat etc. Matters a lot.

Aside all these, marketing matters the most.

Burna boy is one of those with good quality music in Nigeria and he is selling like pure water. Nullifying the premise of this thread.

Asake's new album is actually very good, some other people might term it noise because it is peculiar with the street but music wise, it is a very good album. In my opinion, it's better than Chike's latest album.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Karleb(m): 9:19pm On Nov 05, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

How could you drop RnB for African music? Nigerian music in particular doesn't sound good or have meaningful lyrics. It's just noise. I've tried to like it but just can't.

You people will come only and be forming rubbish. grin

As if we don't listen to these same non Nigerian artists.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BRATISLAVA: 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2022
Karleb:

You people will come only and be forming rubbish. grin

As if we don't listen to these same non Nigerian artists.

Forming what? I don't even know what you mean.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Karleb(m): 9:25pm On Nov 05, 2022
etrange:

They could, but they don’t need to do that before they're considered good. That's my point. They're not obliged to do that. I like good lyrics too. I helps my imagination while listening to a song. Simply put, I connect better when listening to Micheal Jackson than when listening to Davido. But that's me and it doesn't make me better than anyone. Davido has great beats and for many people, that's essentially enough. He can keep selling his beats to those that like it while I search for my lyrics somewhere else. You're not a musician cause it's not your thing. Likewise, they place beats over lyrics cause lyrics is not thier thing.

That said, except the words are really dirty, anybody that sees you as not being at par simply because you're listening to a song that is not lyrically rich does not understand art. Music does not even needs words to be good. Lyrics are secondary to music. By definition, music is an organized sound. When mixed with words, it becomes a song. We all listen to music for different reasons; a dancer, for example, only needs a good beat. Some Cisquo's songs had the worst lyrics of all time, but he was one of the most successful black musicians of his time.

Some American artist do not even have better lyrics. Our people are just suffering from inferiority complex.

I dare say that all those American rappers that mumble raps, those that sing trap are all trash.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Karleb(m): 9:29pm On Nov 05, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Forming what? I don't even know what you mean.

You called Nigerian music noise.

You know that's not true.

I remember Ed Sheeran was the one that made Peru remix possible. He literally initiated the feature because he loved the song so much.
A song you just called noise by extension.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BRATISLAVA: 9:32pm On Nov 05, 2022
Karleb:

You called Nigerian music noise.

You know that's not true.

I remember Ed Sheeran was the one that made Peru remix possible. He literally initiated the feature because he loved the song so much.
A song you just called noise by extension.

It's noise. I don't know who Ed Sheeran is, and if he likes pointless music he doesn't even know the meaning of, that's permissible since he's probably a producer looking for more money in Africa. Or whatever he is.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Karleb(m): 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

It's noise. I don't know who Ed Sheeran is, and if he likes pointless music he doesn't even know the meaning of, that's permissible since he's probably a producer looking for more money in Africa. Or whatever he is.

You don't know Ed Sheeran?

Honestly, you disappoint me for someone you claims he has good taste in music.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by chimex38: 9:37pm On Nov 05, 2022
akwesenana:
Nobody listens to Eminem here angry
J Cole ??
Joyner Lucas??
Fucking lyricist

Add 21 savage slaughter gang chief. cool
Peace to Takeoff cool
For u to at least know him.. U know his worth in lyrics..
A Guinness World Record Holder..
go figure.
Blunt rapper with soffisticated Rhythmic lines..
He is dope..
and a Lyric god..
Yeah A Rap god as well..
@EminemFcFan.com
Peaceout!!!
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BRATISLAVA: 9:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
Karleb:

You don't know Ed Sheeran?

Honestly, you disappoint me for someone you claims he has good taste in music.

Where did I tell you I have good taste in music? Stop assuming and being defensive. I simply will never listen to or enjoy African noise. Whoever Ed Sheeran is, he mustn't make good music. Never listened to him or heard of him. To each their genre.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Karleb(m): 9:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Where did I tell you I have good taste in music? Stop assuming and being defensive. I simply will never listen to or enjoy African noise. Whoever Ed Sheeran is, he mustn't make good music. Never listened to him or heard of him. To each their genre.

My bad. It takes someone with poor taste in music to declare African music as noise.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by BRATISLAVA: 9:41pm On Nov 05, 2022
Karleb:

My bad. It takes someone with poor taste in music to declare African music as noise.

Takes poorer taste to listen to meaningless African noise.
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Mayeldah(m): 9:51pm On Nov 05, 2022
Only wise Nigerians listen to lyrical songs, the rest just want to dance, if it's not a danceable song they won't like it.

Even in the gospel genre, most gospel artists in Nigeria just sing two stanzas of praise lyrics that's all for a full album. Check out the lyrics and you will see it lacks spirit inspired and soul lifting content.

Listen to American gospel artists, compare their lyrics to that of Nigerians, and you will see the difference

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by OgunkeelAllMod: 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2022
LILTJAY:
write and blow f.
bastard
your foremost great great oloshow grandma Sired your oloshow useless and uncouth mother who now born you a dimwitted ret@rd after being violently raped through double penetration (puccy and anal).by unknown vagran.now, you know who you truly are, LILTOOIDIOT wink cheers! Omo-olosho!
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
As an artiste myself who does good music, I would like to point out to you the area in which those artiste with good lyrics are falling short. They fail to release those good lyrics with party beat. Me na meaningful song I dey do on top party beat oh. Other artistes when dey sing meaningful songs dey use boring beats. Nigerians want to dance.

Pass that message with good lyrics on a sweet beat like Soco.

Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by LILTJAY: 10:20pm On Nov 05, 2022
OgunkeelAllMod:
your foremost great great oloshow grandma Sired your oloshow useless and uncouth mother who now born you a dimwitted ret@rd after being violently raped through double penetration (puccy and anal).by unknown vagran.now, you know who you truly are, LILTOOIDIOT wink cheers! Omo-olosho!
bloody monkey
Re: Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. by OgunkeelAllMod: 10:26pm On Nov 05, 2022
Trash music everywhere now grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! / Download Chris Brown-home / Flavour - Chinny Baby [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.