Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,647 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family (90147 Views)

Thinking Of Relocating Back To Nigeria From Canada / Cost Of Relocating Alone Or With Your Family From Nigeria To Uk/ Student Route / Planning Of Relocating From North To The South West. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by millykel: 5:17pm On Dec 03, 2022
lordally:

Can I send a DM??
Please I sent you a dm
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by tshtsh: 6:05pm On Dec 03, 2022
Ugosample:

Okay... I see

But from my own personal experience and what I have seen though; the ones who were born and raised abroad are currently far ahead
They used the advantages afforded to them to get ahead in life

Btw being a homosexual is no big deal imo though; it's their personal life and doesn't make them a failure in anyway when considered in isolation

That aside
Even you know that kids who start out abroad have certain headstart s and advantages.

It's now on them to either use it or squander it
Life in Nigeria and USA/Canada/EU is very different on many fronts. In Nigeria being a homosexual is a big deal and will be for a long time. Thus you will hardly find any Nigerian-born parent tell you their child being gay or lesbian is no big deal. I am yet to see that even among Nigerians that i've met in USA as well as Canada.

There are certain values/principles that increases a person's chance of success anywhere. Be it Nigeria or USA. It is because of lack of those values that make some people struggle at home and abroad. There are places I've been to in Toronto that makes me question if the people I went to visit made the right choice by leaving Nigeria.

As a parent I will rather focus on instilling the right attitude to life on my kids than rely on location. When I lived in Nigeria I wasnt happy with a number of things but overall I was still in the middle class. As a 25 year old I got a job in my field, bought a car, jointly rented an apartment in lekki 1, furnished it moderately, got another organization try to poach me, spent my annual vacations in any country of choice and all that.

Today I earn a much high salary in Toronto but I don't believe my location played a role. If I was in Nigeria I'd have still been in middle class there. In the one year I worked in Johannesburg I still lived well by both Nigerian and South African standard.

I have family cousins today complaining about Nigeria and wanting to japa but complaining that they don't have the means. In my opinion even if they have the means with their attitude they may still struggle.

If you don't mind I'll give you an example. As young boys then we had an uncle who was senior in NNPC. He opened his doors in Lagos to many members of the family (particularly the young students). He use to get angry when he returned from work to see the ladies watching African magic. Some of these ladies did not know how to use a computer but he made available a desktop computer and the SAM - Premiere Microsoft Office Training textbook. These ladies didn't take advantage of that. For the guys most were more interested in driving his cars and showing off to women. I was always glued to my macbook (was always practicing java programming then). It was assumed that I didnt know how to drive a car because I never drove a car in that house. After sometime uncle got internship opportunities for 90% of the people that stayed with him or visited him frequently. These opportunities were at companies that were into a joint venture with NNPC and as a senior staff he didnt have a problem getting his people internship opportunities in these places. For some reason I believed so much in a future as a software engineer and never asked him for these opportunities during my long vacations. Those who were youth corpers were also placed in organizations but they were so fixated with outdoing each other in my uncle's house, fighting each other for his attention and driving cars in his house (uncle's family lived in USA hence the house was like a free for all).

A few years after his wife and younger children moved back to nigeria and his house was no longer as open to members of the family. All these people were back in our state struggling with unemployment and lack of money to do anything. He got one or two of them (the ones that studied engineering) a third party contract job with one of the NNPC vendors (a one man company) in 2013. 9 years later they are still there on the same salary. As far as I am concerned these people did not and do not have the values/character of someone who wants to be successful. Take them to America with this same character they will still struggle.

I never had any of the opportunities they had but one thing I learnt from my parents was the eventual reward that came with not giving up on myself and persevering. Even when things look fine I keep trying and trying to move to the next thing every now and then. There are opportunities and challenges everywhere. Leeching on people or on social systems is one of the ways to keep thyself at the bottom of the pyramid. America rewards the rich and upper class more than the poor. Same with Nigeria

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by vibrant99(m): 12:57am On Dec 04, 2022
Dey Naija dey advice people to stick to English nation...

You think say DUBAI na ENGLISH speaking nation?

Malaysia na English too?

China , Vietnam Nko?

You don't go around seeing people hustling in these countries coming on Nairaland to write long English, dem no even want to make you say dem dey alright.

Nigerian dey everywhere, There is even a Nigerian living in SIBERIA...

but people wey dey UK, US and CANADA too dey make noise ,

erico2k2:

But with that huge investment, I will say stick to English speaking countries, no time to do try your luck

1 Like

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by Godsfavorite101: 8:27am On Dec 04, 2022
jesmond3945:
do you have kids?
No kids
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by Godsfavorite101: 8:40am On Dec 04, 2022
tshtsh:

GBP20,400 pounds per annum when I was a student in UK 10 years ago was suffer head oohh. It should be worse now.
That income is for main applicants full time job overtime or side hustle not included, as a dependent I have right to work full time aswell which would also support the household. After 5 years of stay we can apply for ILR which means I’m 6-7yrs citizenship. I honestly don’t like UK but this Nigeria is nothing to write home about aswell and now that we don’t have kids it’s better to plan a good future ahead for the kids

1 Like

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by jesmond3945: 2:47pm On Dec 04, 2022
tshtsh:

I still don't believe this narrative. All over the world you find people who do well and people who struggle or do badly. The community/support system is virtually absent abroad. I know a Nigerian doctor that moved to UK before I was born (he moved there in 1981) and never visited Nigeria till 2005. He was a consultant when he visited with a wife and one child. When I went to study at the university of edinburgh his daughter was a student there studying mathematics. She helped me get my first apartment near edinburgh using her credit profile/citizenship while I paid her back. Two months after I moved there her parents will constantly call me to go check up on her as she wasn't picking up their calls. I went a few times but got no response as she refused to open the door. She ended up dropping out of university while I completed my studies, moved back to Nigeria for the NYSc program, worked briefly in Nigeria (tech), south africa and now working in tech in Canada. The fact that I was born in Nigeria and lived there till I was almost 19 did not stop me from studying computer science and becoming a software engineer in Nigeria, South Africa and now Canada.
Second example is a pharmacist who moved to UK, met a naija man and got married. She eventually wasnt able to practice pharmacy there probably due to licensing or whatever. Her three kids were born in the UK. One is doing well. The only boy dropped out of uni and works in Tesco as cashier.
Third is an uncle who moved to USA via intra-company transfer from an IOC (chevron) to their HQ. At the time he was leaving for three years people asked him why he was taking his family if he would only be there for three years and it was same story of kids having a good headstart in USA. He returned after a few years without his wife and kids in 2006. Now out of the three kids they have, the first one dropped out of university, second and third are both homosexuals. They are trying to convince the second child to give men a chance . Third child is gay and they arrogate so much hate towards him.

I also have an uncle who moved to USA in the 80s to work in one of the big banks there. His children are doing all amazingly well .One is a doctor and the other two are high flyers in their career with MBAs from ivy-league universities.

The reason I outlined these examples is to pass across my opinion. Moving abroad under harsh circumstances doesn't guarantee the success of your kids. I can say it with certainty that Nigerians that moved to canada via express entry as adults within the last few years seem to even be doing much better than a lot of black canadians who were born in Canada.

People should learn the art of bringing up A-list kids and they'll likely be proud of their children be it home or abroad. Moving abroad has aided some people to prosper and it has also destroyed some people.

Then back to the trend now. People are moving to UK on study permits with many studying cooked courses that isn't likely to give them an edge in the UK labor market. They do it at a huge cost living in very tough conditions with no guarantees that they will become permanent residents. For a family man and woman making such move should involve a good and solid plan because some mistakes can be very costly to a 35 or 40 year old
See my brother, the word is opportunities in a safe, sound environment, give your kids the opportunities to be the best. Whatever, they do with it is their business. You have done the best for them. Take for example, you are in canada now, can you compare the tech space and culture in canada with what you have in naija?
With your canadian experience, you can get VC funding for your idea easily unlike what you have in naija. Think about it.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by tshtsh: 6:47pm On Dec 04, 2022
jesmond3945:

See my brother, the word is opportunities in a safe, sound environment, give your kids the opportunities to be the best. Whatever, they do with it is their business. You have done the best for them. Take for example, you are in canada now, can you compare the tech space and culture in canada with what you have in naija?
With your canadian experience, you can get VC funding for your idea easily unlike what you have in naija. Think about it.
To be honest working in the Canadian and South african tech space felt much more fulfilling than any of the tech jobs I took up in Nigeria (Tech company and bank). The typical Nigerian workspace is unprofessional, a fertile ground for nepotism and very unstructured. I found it unhealthy hence my decision to leave. But before I left I planned my exit in such a way that it will be beneficial. The key here is PLANNING. I'm not against people leaving Nigeria but I like to emphasize the importance of planning. We can't get everything planned as not everything is within our control but one has to try. Age was also on my side as I was 27 and single when I moved to take up a tech Job at Johannesburg. One of the things I noticed in South Africa was the non-guaranteed path to permanent residency and as I was approaching 30 I needed something more stable than a work permit. This was what propelled me to apply for permanent residency in Canada as I turned 29. I loved life in Johannesburg and its closer proximity to Nigeria as opposed to Canada but after weighing the pros & cons I opted to move to Canada.

On the other hand I have stopped blaming Nigerian government for the situation of things in Nigeria. Many Nigerians are bad people. At the workplace you'll find co-workers going out of their way to plot the downfall of one another. There was complete disregard for contents of employment contract. When I worked at the bank I constantly saw bosses threatening employees as late at 8pm to make sure they don't go home. My contract stated that I was entitled to 20 days of annual leave but in reality my boss will arrogantly yell at any young single guy who applies to go on leave. Outside the workplace one could not avoid hostile policemen or estate security, infrastructure was poor and a lot of people were dishonest. I can go on and on to describe how bad Nigeria is but leaving Nigeria without a solid plan may also be counterproductive. I found South Africa a much better country to live and work in than Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 7:27pm On Dec 04, 2022
vibrant99:

Dey Naija dey advice people to stick to English nation...

You think say DUBAI na ENGLISH speaking nation?

Malaysia na English too?

China , Vietnam Nko?

You don't go around seeing people hustling in these countries coming on Nairaland to write long English, dem no even want to make you say dem dey alright.

Nigerian dey everywhere, There is even a Nigerian living in SIBERIA...

but people wey dey UK, US and CANADA too dey make noise ,

my friend close that gutter U call mouth there. amongst all that country you mention nah Only Siberia I never reach, name the JOB wey people dey do for those country you just mention, or by hustle you mean sell drugs or what enlighten us again plz if U ask friends in Germany, ask them how many Nigerians they know who are care givers or being police officers, Immigration customs or lawyers Doctors Engineers etc, Una go just come on line dey talk trasshhhhhh deceive people enter one chance. I repeat again the best countries for Nigerians to go and hit the ground running are the Englis speaking ones unless you have a specific skill or a profession for them non English-speaking Nation with guaranteed JOB

2 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 7:30pm On Dec 04, 2022
benqo01:

Not at all we have Nigerians exceeding in other non English speaking countries,that is not an issue
Extremely limited. U can just check the statistics in the EU
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by jesmond3945: 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2022
Exactly and you agree with me on this. When you have kids and given the opportunity you have as a software engineer, they will soar higher only if they want to as compared if they were in Nigeria. Please, what is your tech stack?
tshtsh:

To be honest working in the Canadian and South african tech space felt much more fulfilling than any of the tech jobs I took up in Nigeria (Tech company and bank). The typical Nigerian workspace is unprofessional, a fertile ground for nepotism and very unstructured. I found it unhealthy hence my decision to leave. But before I left I planned my exit in such a way that it will be beneficial. The key here is PLANNING. I'm not against people leaving Nigeria but I like to emphasize the importance of planning. We can't get everything planned as not everything is within our control but one has to try. Age was also on my side as I was 27 and single when I moved to take up a tech Job at Johannesburg. One of the things I noticed in South Africa was the non-guaranteed path to permanent residency and as I was approaching 30 I needed something more stable than a work permit. This was what propelled me to apply for permanent residency in Canada as I turned 29. I loved life in Johannesburg and its closer proximity to Nigeria as opposed to Canada but after weighing the pros & cons I opted to move to Canada.

On the other hand I have stopped blaming Nigerian government for the situation of things in Nigeria. Many Nigerians are bad people. At the workplace you'll find co-workers going out of their way to plot the downfall of one another. There was complete disregard for contents of employment contract. When I worked at the bank I constantly saw bosses threatening employees as late at 8pm to make sure they don't go home. My contract stated that I was entitled to 20 days of annual leave but in reality my boss will arrogantly yell at any young single guy who applies to go on leave. Outside the workplace one could not avoid hostile policemen or estate security, infrastructure was poor and a lot of people were dishonest. I can go on and on to describe how bad Nigeria is but leaving Nigeria without a solid plan may also be counterproductive. I found South Africa a much better country to live and work in than Nigeria
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by jesmond3945: 7:46pm On Dec 04, 2022
Godsfavorite101:
No kids
that salary will enable you pay rent and bills but no savings. You have to work to support madam.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by legionISproteus: 2:46am On Dec 05, 2022
naijaboy99:

Anybody posting here calling Nigeria a shithole when in reality the first 10million richest Nigerians live and work right here in Nigeria while 90% of Nigerians in America and Canada are struggling and suffering from depressed, jealous of the first 10million richest Nigerians with 4 cars, 4 houses, private university for their kids, gateman, maid etc and most importantly A BASTARD

Anybody here posting against the will of fellow Nigerians to travel is POVERTY-STRICKEN, JEALOUS and most importantly A BASTAAARD

4 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by millykel: 3:04am On Dec 05, 2022
lordally:

Please I sent you a dm
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by tshtsh: 4:16am On Dec 05, 2022
jesmond3945:
Exactly and you agree with me on this. When you have kids and given the opportunity you have as a software engineer, they will soar higher only if they want to as compared if they were in Nigeria. Please, what is your tech stack?
For backend sql scripting, c# , Java , typescript & a bit of python .
For front end angular , cshtml , JavaScript
AWS technologies (lambda , sns, sis , EventBridge , S3, dynamodb )
For DBMS DB artisan , Sql server , SQLite
Other technologies here and there also .

2 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by Naijabad: 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2022
Tommch96:
Please house I’m a silent reader, please house I need your advice. My fiancé of 3 years want to apply for uk study visa for her master’s for next September intake

Tho she has already started now by applying to the school. Also we plan to do our registry early next years, also she has already done her passport with her surname like a year ago,

Pls I need the guru advice, after we have already secured the admission, Pls what document do we need to process the visa.

1) Main application document ?
2) dependent document.? Also as the dependent have once been refused uk tourist visa 5 years ago.

3) Are we to apply for the visa together or until the main applicant visa is been issue before I apply as a dependent.

4) pls what’s our chance of obtaining the visa. I look forward for your reply. Thank you

It is not advisable to allow your newly married wifey to travel alone. You will lose her to other men.

If she has given you one or two kids, then its safer to allow her travel alone.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by vibrant99(m): 2:17pm On Dec 05, 2022
the worst part is you use foul language on people that you don't know or don't see....

You don go all this country before ...going there as a tourist or you went to live there?

There is a Nigerian in the parliament in Italy today,

The Number one shipping line in Finland is owned by a Nigerian...

etc, people like you who read online reviews and brag about them as facts .....

There is a Nigerian Guy in Bergen (norway) a Professor, how many can I write?

My classmate in UNN is a Game programmer in France, he started with Msc till Phd,.....

Kids who don't know anything about traveling just wake up and say things....

Nigerians in China and Vietnam are legal businessmen shipping containers daily to Nigeria.

People like you would advice people to only live in Abuja , Lgaos and Porthacourt , because of opportunities and big city that is....

Not knowing that in your Village in EKITI state one young man makes 10M daily , he wont let you know so you spoil his waka , one guy dey Ijebu ode , one dey Ilorin, one dey Ikot epene, low key places and cashing out madly that people in big cities only dream of.

same thing happens with japa, UK US or CANADA only makes you noticeable, Some people dey GHANA dey see wetin you no fit see in 100Yrs, and legal business ....go to TOGO and see Nigerians succeeding.

If really you have traveled you won't be saying jargon.....

The Only APP to send money from Russia to Nigeria is "XENDY".... designed and owned by a guy who has lived in Moscow for 5 yrs, VERIFY!

erico2k2:

my friend close that gutter U call mouth there. amongst all that country you mention nah Only Siberia I never reach, name the JOB wey people dey do for those country you just mention, or by hustle you mean sell drugs or what enlighten us again plz if U ask friends in Germany, ask them how many Nigerians they know who are care givers or being police officers, Immigration customs or lawyers Doctors Engineers etc, Una go just come on line dey talk trasshhhhhh deceive people enter one chance. I repeat again the best countries for Nigerians to go and hit the ground running are the Englis speaking ones unless you have a specific skill or a profession for them non English-speaking Nation with guaranteed JOB

2 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by ariesbull: 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2022
annisy:
If you have a first degree in Nigeria and you don't have a well secured job or a good business, you better japa if you can avoid it period!! Our leaders are all animals
and in Europe you will have a secured job as a graduate cleaning streets or washing old folks butts
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by ariesbull: 3:08pm On Dec 05, 2022
[left][/left]
erico2k2:

I know a girl who quit her Job in ABJ, she came here for masters and after masters got sponsorship by a care home,, she neeeds do 38 hours a week for her sponsors the rest she works for other agencies, she makes average of £3k take home monthly.She lives in a £450 per month room, She saves all of her money cos she says she wants to go back to ABJ in 5 years and Open up a massive Biz, she tells me some months she saves £2000, equivalent to N1.9M monthly, in 10 months that N19m so yearly 20M she dey target N100M and she is 24 years Old.She is very positive and works really hard. On top that she will have the Blu P by then!Una see how life no balance for 9ja??
talk is cheap....for UK

how many wey dey UK don come back open business for Naija

2 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by shilefan2(m): 3:40pm On Dec 05, 2022
Hmmn...
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by Naijabad: 3:42pm On Dec 05, 2022
A friend of mine is in a dilemma and has asked me to advice him on what do.

I'm confused myself, hence I'm bringing this here for those who are experienced to give their candid opinion.

My friend sent his wife to Australia 2 years ago on a student visa. He stayed back with the children and has been taking proper care of them since the wife left. The children are aged 10 and 8. The first child is in primary 6 and will enter secondary school next year. The second child, a boy, is in primary 4 and will move to primary 5 next year.

My friend's wifey just obtained her PR last month courtesy of one company she worked for and which nominated her.

Now the dilemma.

MY friends wifey wants the family to join her. The children are eager to move to Australia. But my friend is skeptical.
His skepticism comes from two main factors: 1) he is 49 Years, 2) He is gainfully ( by Nigerian Standard) employed. Takes home about N900k per month working for a private company.

My friend will not be able to support the family abroad if he is to allow the children to move to Australia while he remains in Nigeria. Eg if he sends AUD 1500, a month to them ( which is about N750K), it wont be able to pay the children's school fees let alone feed.

My friend want to know whether to join the family and do any menial or odd jobs he can lay hands on and at least be able to join hands with the wifey and see the children through university is Australia. Which to him will be a landmark achievement in life.

His wifey has told him not to worry that he will get something doing when he arrives.

Please advice.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by annisy(f): 5:41pm On Dec 05, 2022
Atleast you will pay your bills and still live like a normal human being!!
It is a shame that you will be treated well in a country governed by a white man compared to a country governed by your fellow black man
ariesbull:
and in Europe you will have a secured job as a graduate cleaning streets or washing old folks butts
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by Godsfavorite101: 5:42pm On Dec 05, 2022
jesmond3945:
that salary will enable you pay rent and bills but no savings. You have to work to support madam.
Yes I’ll work. Thank you
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 6:57pm On Dec 05, 2022
ariesbull:
[left][/left]talk is cheap....for UK

how many wey dey UK don come back open business for Naija
Thousands, I am one f them. Vast majority of the people ruling Nigeria today schooled and hustled either in the Uk or the US,U want me to go on?.If you go to the property Section of Nairaland which I guess you don't, we are all there you can come there and have a matured conversation, nor be to dey make mouth
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 7:05pm On Dec 05, 2022
Naijabad:
A friend of mine is in a dilemma and has asked me to advice him on what do.

I'm confused myself, hence I'm bringing this here for those who are experienced to give their candid opinion.

My friend sent his wife to Australia 2 years ago on a student visa. He stayed back with the children and has been taking proper care of them since the wife left. The children are aged 10 and 8. The first child is in primary 6 and will enter secondary school next year. The second child, a boy, is in primary 4 and will move to primary 5 next year.

My friend's wifey just obtained her PR last month courtesy of one company she worked for and which nominated her.

Now the dilemma.

MY friends wifey wants the family to join her. The children are eager to move to Australia. But my friend is skeptical.
His skepticism comes from two main factors: 1) he is 49 Years, 2) He is gainfully ( by Nigerian Standard) employed. Takes home about N900k per month working for a private company.

My friend will not be able to support the family abroad if he is to allow the children to move to Australia while he remains in Nigeria. Eg if he sends AUD 1500, a month to them ( which is about N750K), it wont be able to pay the children's school fees let alone feed.

My friend want to know whether to join the family and do any menial or odd jobs he can lay hands on and at least be able to join hands with the wifey and see the children through university is Australia. Which to him will be a landmark achievement in life.

His wifey has told him not to worry that he will get something doing when he arrives.

Please advice.
1st and foremost, you should speak to guys in Oz,
School fees ? well if it was in the UK we do not pay school fess not even Uni once parents get and has settled stay. its almost free, all they pay is mayB after school class/club/trips etc
Ask you friend to join them N900k is nothing compared o what he would achive over there.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 7:15pm On Dec 05, 2022
vibrant99:
the worst part is you use foul language on people that you don't know or don't see....

You don go all this country before ...going there as a tourist or you went to live there?

There is a Nigerian in the parliament in Italy today,

The Number one shipping line in Finland is owned by a Nigerian...

etc, people like you who read online reviews and brag about them as facts .....

There is a Nigerian Guy in Bergen (norway) a Professor, how many can I write?

My classmate in UNN is a Game programmer in France, he started with Msc till Phd,.....

Kids who don't know anything about traveling just wake up and say things....

Nigerians in China and Vietnam are legal businessmen shipping containers daily to Nigeria.

People like you would advice people to only live in Abuja , Lgaos and Porthacourt , because of opportunities and big city that is....

Not knowing that in your Village in EKITI state one young man makes 10M daily , he wont let you know so you spoil his waka , one guy dey Ijebu ode , one dey Ilorin, one dey Ikot epene, low key places and cashing out madly that people in big cities only dream of.

same thing happens with japa, UK US or CANADA only makes you noticeable, Some people dey GHANA dey see wetin you no fit see in 100Yrs, and legal business ....go to TOGO and see Nigerians succeeding.

If really you have traveled you won't be saying jargon.....

The Only APP to send money from Russia to Nigeria is "XENDY".... designed and owned by a guy who has lived in Moscow for 5 yrs, VERIFY!

Sorry my friend you are vomitting more crapp, why endolge in topics you have no clue about and misleading people? ,You are here chatting about Ghana, we know what the vast majority of people do in Ghana and the damage it pours on the rest of Nigerians so do not even go there, we are here promoting genuine immigration and ways to better oneself legally not by all them dodgy means you advocate for. I would like to see Nigerians go to Ghana and become a police man/woman and come back to Nigeria and become the persons you portray or go to Ghana and become a doctor and become the persons you portray.
You are naming Nigerians in Belgum, France, Germany, if you bothered to read what I wrote in the 1st instance you would have come across where I said, DO NOT GO THERE UNLES YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL WITH ASSURED JOB
for THE MAN STARTING FROM ZERO English speaking countries are the best places to be so they can hit the ground running. I have been to China b4 to buy goods and ship to the PH port, guess what, I did not make my money in China and so are the dozens of Igbos in China shipping containers, they had initial funds b4 they all went there and you point again is?

1 Like

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by vibrant99(m): 7:22pm On Dec 05, 2022
The best Advice anyone would give you is .................."Go where No-One is going, do what No-one is doing"

Don't follow the crowd, Uk japa this year alone was based on hear-say............ Now we are bloated everywhere in the UK, what's the landmass?

at least 3 Nigerians working anywhere you think you are in the UK....working

There is grace with uniqueness, am not going religious here, but being unique is Uniqueness.

Everyone is not looking for the same thing even though you are looking in the same direction.

I remember my first day at an embassy before the embassy opened doors for work that morning, we gathered and were chatting and everyone shared the school they were going..... I noticed this guy who kept discouraging me so much about the school and the country.... and I was like , "why are you here then"??

He said he lives in the country and just wants to get something for his aunty, that he even has their passport.....

Alas, when the embassy opened and we entered, the guy went before me and for not up to 1 min, he is out ... I was like what happened ?

I later found out that he has a ban and was trying to find a way through,.........

Don't listen to most people you find here saying jargon, Most of them no get where dem they go, they have messed up and will mess others up too

Update :

One Guy was banned for forging a POLICE CHARACTER, Just imagine, if u cant do that how would pay for flight and pay accommodation or school fees? this is the reason they keep putting us as migrant risk!

1 Like

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by vibrant99(m): 7:30pm On Dec 05, 2022
why do you generalize your experience as a Constance ? who send you abi na who you epp?

Go to English speaking countries and Hit ur ground runinig , don't discourage people who cant afford to do that but eventually find themselves there .

You don't have to start from there .

having a residence permit in Europe alone as a student you will go to US and CANADA , and if japa is what you want , then it would happen.

allow people start small.

no be everybody fit go Canada and US immediately , some go enter Kenya first ...... like my amiable Lawyer , (I wish you can allow me tag you)

I don't really know why you feel that you know anything, no disrespect!

what does Professional mean to you? so they cant go there and become the professionals?

Trailer driver training alone in the UK is more expensive than the other European countries but still UK wont PASS you after the test drive(money don go) , in Shengen, you must pass the Drive test once.

erico2k2:

Sorry my friend you are vomitting more crapp, why endolge in topics you have no clue about and misleading people? ,You are here chatting about Ghana, we know what the vast majority of people do in Ghana and the damage it pours on the rest of Nigerians so do not even go there, we are here promoting genuine immigration and ways to better oneself legally not by all them dodgy means you advocate for. I would like to see Nigerians go to Ghana and become a police man/woman and come back to Nigeria and become the persons you portray or go to Ghana and become a doctor and become the persons you portray.
You are naming Nigerians in Belgum, France, Germany, if you bothered to read what I wrote in the 1st instance you would have come across where I said, DO NOT GO THERE UNLES YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL WITH ASSURED JOB
for THE MAN STARTING FROM ZERO English speaking countries are the best places to be so they can hit the ground running. I have been to China b4 to buy goods and ship to the PH port, guess what, I did not make my money in China and so are the dozens of Igbos in China shipping containers, they had initial funds b4 they all went there and you point again is?
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 7:49pm On Dec 05, 2022
vibrant99:
why do you generalize your experience as a Constance ? who send you abi na who you epp?

Go to English speaking countries and Hit ur ground runinig , don't discourage people who cant afford to do that but eventually find themselves there .

You don't have to start from there .

having a residence permit in Europe alone as a student you will go to US and CANADA , and if japa is what you want , then it would happen.

allow people start small.

no be everybody fit go Canada and US immediately , some go enter Kenya first ...... like my amiable Lawyer , (I wish you can allow me tag you)

I don't really know why you feel that you know anything, no disrespect!

what does Professional mean to you? so they cant go there and become the professionals?

Trailer driver training alone in the UK is more expensive than the other European countries but still UK wont PASS you after the test drive(money don go) , in Shengen, you must pass the Drive test once.

You still don't get it, you lack of knowledge of how things working wen migrating is alarming to say the least.
Even the Eu citizens can no longer live and work in the Uk by just bearing their own passport let alone you a foreigner who migrated there. Why would you want to migrate to the Uk and think you are going to start earning 6 figures with no skills,
You say I feel I know everything in Europe, well i think After living in Europe for 22 plus odd years and travelled to about 80% of the Eu due to work or holiday, I think I have the moral backing to speak on life in most of them countries!
Im sorry for being so blunt but I'm really tired of people on here who do not have 1st hand experience trying to give advice based on what they think or assumption.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by vibrant99(m): 8:04pm On Dec 05, 2022
Unless probably you lived in another EUROPE, this one wey I sabi like this ..... is very far ahead of UK.

English speaking makes things easy but doesn't necessarily bring more opportunity, Make we end here .

But I doubt you left Naija One day, even on the news you would have seen that lots of Europeans don't want to return to the UK if you dey watch TV.

More JOBS litter the EU than UK, you can learn the language if you want a more subtle job, but ordinarily, you don't need to.

the Rush to the UK was because of the Visas were granted tediously not because it's better there than anywhere, why is the shengen Visa Harder to get?

Ok, You win... lets REST now!

erico2k2:

You still don't get it, you lack of knowledge of how things working wen migrating is alarming to say the least.
Even the Eu citizens can no longer live and work in the Uk by just bearing their own passport let alone you a foreigner who migrated there. Why would you want to migrate to the Uk and think you are going to start earning 6 figures with no skills,
You say I feel I know everything in Europe, well i think After living in Europe for 22 plus odd years and travelled to about 80% of the Eu due to work or holiday, I think I have the moral backing to speak on life in most of them countries!
Im sorry for being so blunt but I'm really tired of people on here who do not have 1st hand experience trying to give advice based on what they think or assumption.
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 8:21pm On Dec 05, 2022
vibrant99:
Unless probably you lived in another EUROPE, this one wey I sabi like this ..... is very far ahead of UK.

English speaking makes things easy but doesn't necessarily bring more opportunity, Make we end here .

But I doubt you left Naija One day, even on the news you would have seen that lots of Europeans don't want to return to the UK if you dey watch TV.

More JOBS litter the EU than UK, you can learn the language if you want a more subtle job, but ordinarily, you don't need to.

the Rush to the UK was because of the Visas were granted tediously not because it's better there than anywhere, why is the shengen Visa Harder to get?

The UK sent Eu citizens packing at the end of Brexit cos they were the brakers of Benefit rules. The earn loads and pay less, if not tell me why a sane Polish person or one from Hungary or Romania would change thier citizenship to be British?
if I had left Nigeria, I laugh in Spanish, When I joined nairaland in 2007 we were less than 100 persons on Nairaland, about 40% of us then lived abroad as Internet was not widespread like we have today in Nigeria if you know who Mr Pataki is then you can start talking. I will say this to you one last time, if you go to the Migrant Camp in France a Calaise, you can ask yourself this simple question, why do we have Thousands of persons camping at the channel tunnel crossings.
PS, U sabi EUrope and live in Europe but you cannot name the country you live in Europe, shame dey catch U?
Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 05, 2022
tshtsh:

Life in Nigeria and USA/Canada/EU is very different on many fronts. In Nigeria being a homosexual is a big deal and will be for a long time. Thus you will hardly find any Nigerian-born parent tell you their child being gay or lesbian is no big deal. I am yet to see that even among Nigerians that i've met in USA as well as Canada.

There are certain values/principles that increases a person's chance of success anywhere. Be it Nigeria or USA. It is because of lack of those values that make some people struggle at home and abroad. There are places I've been to in Toronto that makes me question if the people I went to visit made the right choice by leaving Nigeria.

As a parent I will rather focus on instilling the right attitude to life on my kids than rely on location. When I lived in Nigeria I wasnt happy with a number of things but overall I was still in the middle class. As a 25 year old I got a job in my field, bought a car, jointly rented an apartment in lekki 1, furnished it moderately, got another organization try to poach me, spent my annual vacations in any country of choice and all that.

Today I earn a much high salary in Toronto but I don't believe my location played a role. If I was in Nigeria I'd have still been in middle class there. In the one year I worked in Johannesburg I still lived well by both Nigerian and South African standard.

I have family cousins today complaining about Nigeria and wanting to japa but complaining that they don't have the means. In my opinion even if they have the means with their attitude they may still struggle.

If you don't mind I'll give you an example. As young boys then we had an uncle who was senior in NNPC. He opened his doors in Lagos to many members of the family (particularly the young students). He use to get angry when he returned from work to see the ladies watching African magic. Some of these ladies did not know how to use a computer but he made available a desktop computer and the SAM - Premiere Microsoft Office Training textbook. These ladies didn't take advantage of that. For the guys most were more interested in driving his cars and showing off to women. I was always glued to my macbook (was always practicing java programming then). It was assumed that I didnt know how to drive a car because I never drove a car in that house. After sometime uncle got internship opportunities for 90% of the people that stayed with him or visited him frequently. These opportunities were at companies that were into a joint venture with NNPC and as a senior staff he didnt have a problem getting his people internship opportunities in these places. For some reason I believed so much in a future as a software engineer and never asked him for these opportunities during my long vacations. Those who were youth corpers were also placed in organizations but they were so fixated with outdoing each other in my uncle's house, fighting each other for his attention and driving cars in his house (uncle's family lived in USA hence the house was like a free for all).

A few years after his wife and younger children moved back to nigeria and his house was no longer as open to members of the family. All these people were back in our state struggling with unemployment and lack of money to do anything. He got one or two of them (the ones that studied engineering) a third party contract job with one of the NNPC vendors (a one man company) in 2013. 9 years later they are still there on the same salary. As far as I am concerned these people did not and do not have the values/character of someone who wants to be successful. Take them to America with this same character they will still struggle.

I never had any of the opportunities they had but one thing I learnt from my parents was the eventual reward that came with not giving up on myself and persevering. Even when things look fine I keep trying and trying to move to the next thing every now and then. There are opportunities and challenges everywhere. Leeching on people or on social systems is one of the ways to keep thyself at the bottom of the pyramid. America rewards the rich and upper class more than the poor. Same with Nigeria

Your story is very refreshing and inspiring. What you said is true. Attitude is everything. I always tell everyone, you can achieve whatever you want to achieve but you've got to put in the work.

Your narrative reminded me of my experience as a manager. It was a difficult one for me because those crop of workers were unserious grin. I get all sorts of silly excuses for missing work and they frustrated me. I was passionate about training and getting Nigerians to take on technical roles but many of them messed up. They were more interested in an outlandish way of life instead of focusing on the work at hand. One of the Engineers got drunk on site and I had to bring in a American in 96 hours to complete the job.

Ethics are very critical in our society today. Irrespective of where you are, hard work, dedication and soft skills are very important today. Many Nigerians who are "good" should not have issues migrating. Employers need work to be done and don't care where you come from as long as you meet the requirements. I and a friend assisted over a hundred persons in migrating from Nigeria to Canada, US, and UK.

Migrating is not as easy as before because of competition and the japa craze but if you are technically competent or academically sound. You can get to wherever you want.

2 Likes

Re: Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family by erico2k2(m): 8:53pm On Dec 05, 2022
vibrant99:

I was just nosey and went fru your post, God this guy you wicked, infact nah winch U be, so you apply for tourist Visa enter Canada dey there quietly since 2018 dey hustle and you dey here dey tell people to come non English countries' dey Cana dey hustle with your Mata dey speak English there, U dey advice men to enter Poland franc and italo, WHy you nor enter those countries if the food done.You my guy are amongst the kind of persons that mislead others.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Visa Requirements For Dubai? / Moving Back To Nigeria From USA / Fatal Accident Along Onitsha-Nteje Expressway (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.