Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,240 members, 7,822,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Feminism - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Feminism (1467 Views)

Anti-feminism; A War That Men Cannot Win / Is Feminism Truly A Waste Of Time? / 7 Ways Feminism Is Destroying American Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism by emofine(f): 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2011
I understand that men and women's differences need and should be respected by both parties but why do some women make it their sole ambition to compete with men or be "equal" to them?

I believe we are made to complement each other not compete with each other cool

"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition" ~  Timothy Leary
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 22, 2011
It has it's uses, but lately it's just been an umbrella under which some lazy azz women with no skills, unrefined talents and poor home-making abilities gather together to excrete estrogen into the air . . . tainting it via form of noise.  angry
Re: Feminism by emofine(f): 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2011
2buff:

It has it's uses, but lately it's just been an umbrella under which some lazy azz women with no skills, unrefined talents and poor home-making abilities gather together to excrete estrogen into the air . . . tainting it via form of noise.  angry

"uses" such as? . . . highlighting unfair treatment meted out against women? . . or . . ?

lol I love the way you composed that sentence - pretty powerful imagery lol
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 22, 2011
emofine:

"uses" such as? . . . highlighting unfair treatment meted out against women? . . or . . ?

sure wuteva. cheesy
Re: Feminism by emofine(f): 9:41pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^ lol I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to relay. I was merely throwing out suggestions as to why you said "it" has it's uses - (assuming the "it" you were referring to was in actual fact feminism).

I took your first sentence as defending a particular aspect of feminism. . .

It has it's uses

I'm just curious as to what those "uses" are hence I reeled of a common notion (not something I necessarily adhere to however).
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 22, 2011
"Uses" in that, I do not want to see my little sister thumbed down because of her gender.
the second part of my statement covers me not also wanting her to be a lazy bum-scratcher who does nothing and blames all her presumed life failures on everyone/everything else but her, as is the rapidly emerging norm of feminism today.
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2011
only a male chauvinist would have an issue with women speaking up. bottom line.
Re: Feminism by emofine(f): 9:59pm On Aug 22, 2011
2buff:

"Uses" in that, I do not want to see my little sister thumbed down because of her gender.
the second part of my statement covers me not also wanting her to be a lazy bum-scratcher who does nothing and blames all her presumed life failures on everyone/everything else but her, as is the rapidly emerging norm of feminism today.

oh okay cool. Well as a female with numerous female relatives, I (and my sisters) expect to be evaluated in society. I will not use feminism as a defense mechanism or some sort of shield. I don't think I would employ "feminism" as a weapon if I am being depreciated on the basis of my gender although I will via other means defend my self/gender if need be.

lol at your vivid description once again. I doubt feminism actually adheres to laziness and scrounging off others and such. If anything more often than not Feminism advocates for the independence and promotion of women. People who want to be considered as "equal" to men are not lazy I assure you - I just believe as Mr. Cork has already pointed out that there are roles and properties that each gender needs and has to play. Neither should be ridiculed for their station but rather respected for their differences - that's what I believe anyway. smiley

MzDarkSkin:

Women give birth to children. Male chauvinists gives birth to feminist . . in my opinion.
Re: Feminism by claremont(m): 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2011
@OP: First of all, let me commend your use of English, it is quite a radical departure from the posts I am used to seeing from ladies on here.
To answer your question, I think the feminist culture may have it's roots as a cover-up for inferiority complex. Those females who express overt feminism feel that they would never measure up to men in terms of achievements e.t.c, therefore, they use feminism as a tool for covering up their complex.

The fact of the matter is that females do NOT need to be a feminist in order to show that they can compare favourably with men in all spheres of life, but rather, the proof of the pudding is in the eating; females need to show their achievements. Indulge in less talk, and show us your results.
Re: Feminism by ronkebp(f): 10:20pm On Aug 22, 2011
I think that just because we have our differences and places in life, does not mean we cannot compete with men, what if we compete?
Re: Feminism by ronkebp(f): 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

Gba !!!!! be!!!!
Re: Feminism by MrCork17: 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2011
ladies. whats wrong with makin babies, cookin n cleening? why compete? undecided
Re: Feminism by tpia5: 10:39pm On Aug 22, 2011
I do not want to see my little sister thumbed down because of her gender.

really. undecided
Re: Feminism by emofine(f): 10:42pm On Aug 22, 2011
claremont:
@OP: First of all, let me commend your use of English, it is quite a radical departure from the posts I am used to seeing from ladies on here.

Thank you good man.

To answer your question, I think the feminist culture may have it's roots as a cover-up for inferiority complex. Those females who express overt feminism feel that they would never measure up to men in terms of achievements e.t.c, therefore, they use feminism as a tool for covering up their complex.

The fact of the matter is that females do NOT need to be a feminist in order to show that they can compare favourably with men in all spheres of life, but rather, the proof of the pudding is in the eating; females need to show their achievements. Indulge in less talk, and show us your results.[/b]

I am delighted that you used the word "compare" and not "compete". Yes women can compare favorurably with men without the inclusion of this schism concept known as feminism - which to me just causes friction between both genders hampering relations the more.

ronkebp:

I think that just because we have our differences and places in life, does not mean we cannot compete with men, what if we compete?

On what terms? do you mean like during job interviews, academics etc and so forth?
Re: Feminism by ronkebp(f): 10:43pm On Aug 22, 2011
Mr, Cork:

ladies.  whats wrong with makin babies, cookin n cleening? why compete? undecided

since, men started begging their responsibilities,
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 10:46pm On Aug 22, 2011
tpia@:

really. undecided

really
Re: Feminism by ronkebp(f): 10:46pm On Aug 22, 2011
emofine:

Thank you good man.

I am delighted that you used the word "compare" and not "compete". Yes women can compare favorurably with men without the inclusion of this schism concept known as feminism - which to me just causes friction between both genders hampering relations the more.

On what terms? do you mean like during job interviews, academics etc and so forth?

on anything, except strength and masculinity,
Re: Feminism by tpia5: 10:47pm On Aug 22, 2011
just because nigerian or black men are calling something feminism, doesnt mean it is.

most of them do not understand the term and just use it loosely to mean any female who has an opinion which doesnt conform to stripping n.aked and keeping her mouth shut. That, to them, is what being a female entails.

if they know the actual story and history of feminism they'll be too scared to even leave their villages.
Re: Feminism by claremont(m): 10:49pm On Aug 22, 2011
ronkebp:

on anything, except strength and masculinity,
Even the above-highlighted is very much debatable cheesy. As a man, I shudder in fright when I see female body-builders in my local gym, their biceps are like the size of my laps!
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 22, 2011
Physicality get level.

The direct male equivalent of every female body builder you see is much larger than she can ever be.
Re: Feminism by tpia5: 10:55pm On Aug 22, 2011
^you seem to view women as your personal and ancestral enemy. undecided
Re: Feminism by emofine(f): 10:57pm On Aug 22, 2011
tpia@:

just because nigerian or black men are calling something feminism, doesnt mean it is.

most of them do not understand the term and just use it loosely to mean any female who has an opinion which doesnt conform to stripping n.aked and keeping her mouth shut. That, to them, is what being a female entails.

if they know the actual story and history of feminism they'll be too scared to even leave their villages.

Lol I wouldn't mind if you provided a brief history account of feminism. . .and yeah I agree there's a marked difference between asserting oneself and being a full fledged feminist.
Re: Feminism by tpia5: 10:58pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^google suffragette, etc.

right to vote, WWI and WWII, etc etc.
Re: Feminism by Goldieluks: 11:00pm On Aug 22, 2011
undecided
undecided
Re: Feminism by tpia5: 11:02pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^kindly stop wasting valuable space.

undecided

and please do not derail the thread cos everything isnt about you. undecided
Re: Feminism by Goldieluks: 11:05pm On Aug 22, 2011
undecided

shush now,are you paying for the space?
undecided
Re: Feminism by emofine(f): 11:15pm On Aug 22, 2011
tpia@:

^^google suffragette, etc.

right to vote, WWI and WWII, etc etc.

hmm that reminds me. . .there is a racial fabric attached to feminism as the progenitors of this movement were all white - and such factor apparently affected/ affects issues tackled in the black community hence as a counter "womanism" was created. It makes me wonder what the Asian contingent will label their movement as - perhaps girlism tongue jk
Re: Feminism by Mynd44: 12:16am On Aug 23, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

end of discussion!!!!!
Re: Feminism by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 23, 2011
tpia@:

^you seem to view women as your personal and ancestral enemy. undecided

What's the meaning of this tpia? undecided cheesy
I love women and appreciate their struggles. Just laying things out as is
Re: Feminism by MrsChima(f): 2:10am On Aug 23, 2011
Hmm. I see strong women seems to be ruffling some sensitive feathers.
Re: Feminism by seedord247(m): 2:18am On Aug 23, 2011
FOR NIGERIA . . . . . . I WILL JUST CALL DEM OPPORTUNIST BCUS NEARLY 80 PERCENT OF THEM LEARN THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF EDUCATION.
Re: Feminism by MrsChima(f): 2:20am On Aug 23, 2011
LMAO@I am allergic to educated women grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Me And Ma Girl / Having Mixed Feelings About Him Getting This Shell Job Now Because.............. / For The Guys And Mature Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.