Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,989 members, 7,835,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money (687 Views)

Should My Brother Marry Her After She Stole Her Dad's Money To Support Him? / Kingtblakhoc: Dating Maami Igbagbo Destroyed My Life & Career, Stole My N7.5M / "A Girl I Paid 20k For Sex Video And Nude Photos Stole My iPhone 7" - Man Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Justnow2022: 10:54am On Nov 11, 2022
Someone stole my dad’s phone and the next thing, all the money in his Access bank was wiped off.

I have been thinking how they were able to do that. Please can someone explain how possible it is lose money through a phone number linked to your account.

He said his pin wasn’t stored on the phone. The only thing here is that the number is registered to his account.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by allswellis(m): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2022
You are not telling us the whole story.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Justnow2022: 11:24am On Nov 11, 2022
allswellis:
You are not telling us the whole story.

The whole story is that someone stole his phone, he went to do welcome back on the sim, then try to withdraw from his account only to get insufficient funds. He approached the bank, and discovered there no money left in his account.

The stolen phone had the phone number linked to his account. There is no pin or card details stored on the phone. So how were they able to steal money without access to pin?
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 11, 2022
Justnow2022:
Someone stole my dad’s phone and the next thing, all the money in his Access bank was wiped off.

I have been thinking how they were able to do that. Please can someone explain how possible it is lose money through a phone number linked to your account.

He said his pin wasn’t stored on the phone. The only thing here is that the number is registered to his account.

angry
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 11, 2022
Justnow2022:

Bro..the police is yor friend...call them! (no ofeinse) angry
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by IceColdVeins(m): 11:47am On Nov 11, 2022
There are many ways that they could have moved your dad's funds.
But I won't be stating them on a public forum, potential criminals could read my contents and actualize them on the real.

Your best bet is to always have your sim code activated and have your banker's number on speed dial should you ever need your acct to be urgently placed on "No debit" status.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Justnow2022: 11:48am On Nov 11, 2022
DaddyCK:

Bro..the police is yor friend...call them! (no ofeinse) angry

Of course security agencies would have helped but the money that was stolen is less than 500k. So I don’t think it’s worth the stress.

The last time we involved the police to track someone that duped my brother, they were able to track and arrest the man but it was very expensive.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 11, 2022
Justnow2022:

Of course security agencies would have helped but the money that was stolen is less than 500k. So I don’t think it’s worth the stress.

The last time we involved the police to track someone that duped my brother, they were able to track and arrest the man but it was very expensive.

100% Inside Job..... The person who stole the phone has someone in access bank!!!! angry
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by zed7: 12:31pm On Nov 11, 2022
Your dad probably doesn't lock his SIM card or his phone either. The thief just sends OTP and retrieves it.
Always set your SIM to have a PIN. It's very important.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Justnow2022: 1:02pm On Nov 11, 2022
IceColdVeins:
But I won't be stating them on a public forum, potential criminals could read my contents and actualize them on the real.

You best bet is to always have your sim code activated and have your banker's number on speed dial should you need your acct to be urgently placed on "No debit" status.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Justnow2022: 1:04pm On Nov 11, 2022
IceColdVeins:

You best bet is to always have your sim code activated and have your banker's number on speed dial should you need your acct to be urgently placed on "No debit" status.

Thank you for your response, please can you explain how one can activate sim code because this isn’t just about my Dad but also for everyone out there to know that just by losing your phone to the wrong hands could mean losing all your money.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Justnow2022: 1:05pm On Nov 11, 2022
zed7:
Your dad probably doesn't lock his SIM card or his phone either. The thief just sends OTP and retrieves it.
Always set your SIM to have a PIN. It's very important.

How can I lock my sim
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Nazgul: 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2022
Next time lock your sim card. To lock your sim card, call MTN call center and request for your puk number, they'll ask you some personal questions to ensure that you're the owner of the line, once you answer them correctly they'll send you the puk number via text message, and with it, you can password your sim.

Secondly, if you phone gets stolen, even though your sim is locked, borrow a phone from a friend and call your bank's customer service number ASAP. To get their number go to Google. If you're using uba for example, type uba customer service number, Google would bring it out, dial it and tell them to temporarily block your account and state your reasons.

They would ask you some personal questions to ensure that you're the owner of the account like your email, your registered phone number, your date of birth, the state and LGA where the account was opened...etc. once you answer them correctly, your account wouldn't be temporarily block pending when you'll retrieve your line. This would make it impossible for the scammers to access your funds despite the fact that they have your sim card.

Note: to unblock your account, you must present a valid means of identification at any of your bank's branch.

Alternatively you can use another phone to call your service provider but this method isn't advisable cos MTN can keep you waiting for hours before an available call center agent would be assigned to attend to you giving the scammers ample time to perfect their illicit act on your account.

Finally, for your own safety, always have more than one phone, the line that connects to all your bank accounts should permanently be kept in your house, you can use other lines for your everyday activities. So even if it gets stolen, the theives cannot access your account with the Sim.

2 Likes

Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by zed7: 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2022
Justnow2022:

How can I lock my sim
Depends on your phone. Check settings, security, sim card manager.
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by Illegal1(m): 1:43pm On Nov 11, 2022
After buhari...fear nigeria yahoo boys..
bt still on still i suspect an insider..
Re: How Is This Possible? Someone Stole My Dad’s Money by FalseProphet1(m): 1:46pm On Nov 11, 2022
Justnow2022:

I see the thief getting caught after 3 market days.

This I have seen.

(1) (Reply)

Flirting Is Not Cheating - Nigerian Man Tells Girlfriend As She Confronts Him / Do You Want To Sell Or Buy A Car??��� / Play:if A Bird And A Fish Are Lovers,where Would They Build Their House ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.