Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

A Question For Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Question For Atheists (526 Views)

Don't Fall For Atheists And Their Deceit. / The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists / Tithe: Akpororo Blasts Daddy Freeze Again. Has This Question For Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For Atheists by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 12, 2022
Why do most Atheist find it easier to accept a
religion like Buddhism, but are less tolerant
to Abrahmaic Religions such as: Christianity,
Islam or Judaism.

In essence what appeal does Buddhism have that
the Big 3 (Religions) don't.
Re: A Question For Atheists by LordReed(m): 7:00pm On Nov 12, 2022
Ayo13945:
Islam or Judaism.

I dunno about less tolerant but Buddhism is a more open experience and a little more honest than the Abrahamic religions.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Atheists by Dtruthspeaker: 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2022
Ayo13945:
Islam or Judaism.

Can you expect thieves, liars and lovers of evil things to love anti-evil system of living?
Re: A Question For Atheists by jaephoenix(m): 11:41pm On Nov 12, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Can you expect thieves, liars and lovers of evil things to love anti-evil system of living?
You never disappoint, do you?
Oh, I think Adolf Hitler was an atheist… oh wait!

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Atheists by 1Sharon(f): 3:30am On Nov 13, 2022
Ayo13945:
Islam or Judaism.

The Abrahamic religions have been a source of hatred, division and violence in this Earth

Buddhism is peaceful.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Atheists by Dtruthspeaker: 4:22am On Nov 13, 2022
1Sharon:

The Abrahamic religions have been a source of hatred, division and violence in this Earth

Buddhism is peaceful.

You people were already violent and divided before Abraham came as proven by the tales of the nations God wiped out eg Sumeria (Ur)
Re: A Question For Atheists by Dtruthspeaker: 4:26am On Nov 13, 2022
jaephoenix:

You never disappoint, do you?
Oh, I think Adolf Hitler was an atheist… oh wait!

Who cares whether the pope is Catholic? If you bark like a dog, you would be called one.
Re: A Question For Atheists by 1Sharon(f): 3:29am On Nov 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

You people were already violent and divided before Abraham came as proven by the tales of the nations God wiped out eg Sumeria (Ur)

And you ppl are still violent after Abraham came and went.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 4:17am On Nov 14, 2022
buddhist violence
Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 4:19am On Nov 14, 2022
b
Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 4:21am On Nov 14, 2022
LordReed:

I dunno about less tolerant but Buddhism is a more open experience and a little more honest than the Abrahamic religions.

What do more open experience and a little more honest mean?
Re: A Question For Atheists by LordReed(m): 5:36am On Nov 14, 2022
KnownUnknown:

What do more open experience and a little more honest mean?

The practice of Buddhism is not as rigid as Christianity and they don't take their tomes as indelible historical narratives.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 11:01am On Nov 14, 2022
LordReed:

The practice of Buddhism is not as rigid as Christianity and they don't take their tomes as indelible historical narratives.

It seems they have a lot of sects in Buddhism, each with it own perspective, which is similar to the Christians, Muslims, or any religion that has existed long enough. How are they not as rigid or flexible as the rest of them?
I also think you are painting them with a broad brush regarding how they consider their tomes. It’s not far fetched that some consider them indelible particularly those containing “detailed analysis” of the nature, origin, and interaction of material and psychological phenomena.

https://tricycle.org/beginners/buddhism/is-there-a-buddhist-bible/

Since Buddhism is really a family of religions rather than a single spiritual system, there isn’t one single set of scriptures considered authoritative by all Buddhist groups. Each Buddhist tradition follows its own scriptural “canon” (collection of foundational texts) and has produced a mountain of commentary and teachings based on those canons.

Theravada Buddhists root their practices in the Pali canon, which includes some of the earliest-dated Buddhist texts, recorded in an ancient Indian language called Pali. These scriptures are known as the Tipitaka (“Three Baskets”) because they include three major groups of texts. The “Sutta Pitaka” contains the suttas (Sanskrit, sutras) or recorded discourses of the Buddha and some of his disciples; the “Vinaya Pitaka” contains the Buddha’s code of discipline for his monastic community; and the “Abhidhamma Pitaka” contains a detailed analysis of the nature, origin, and interaction of material and psychological phenomena. Scholars generally date this last group of texts to a few hundred years after the Buddha’s death, perhaps between the third and first century BCE.

The Chinese canon, the body of scriptures that is considered authoritative by East Asian Buddhist traditions (including Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese), was likely recorded between the first century BCE and the fifth century CE. There’s plenty of overlap between the Chinese and Pali canons (for instance, the Chinese canon contains a version of the suttas, the Buddha’s discourses, known as the agamas), but they part in crucial doctrinal ways, too. The Tibetan canon, split into the Kangyur (what’s considered the word of the Buddha) and the Tengyur (later commentaries), also overlaps with the Chinese canon and contains its own unique scriptures, including the tantra texts.

Some other schools of Buddhism base their practices and doctrines on specific sutras or treatises. Nichiren Buddhism, for instance, is founded on a scripture known as the Lotus Sutra, and chanting the sutra’s title is a principal part of the practice. Pure Land Buddhists, meanwhile, study three sutras that concentrate on a buddha known as Amitabha, or the Buddha of Infinite Light, who is said to reign over the “pure land,” a kind of Buddhist heaven where conditions for attaining enlightenment are favorable.
Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 11:08am On Nov 14, 2022
Monks incited a deadly four-day rampage against minority Muslims in central Myanmar, Reuters found. The killings come amid the rapid spread of an apartheid-like movement known as 969.

The Buddhist monk grabbed a young Muslim girl and put a knife to her neck.
“If you follow us, I’ll kill her,” the monk taunted police, according to a witness, as a Buddhist mob armed with machetes and swords chased nearly 100 Muslims in this city in central Myanmar.
https://www.pulitzer.org/files/2014/international-reporting/reuters/04reuters2014.pdf
Re: A Question For Atheists by LordReed(m): 11:23am On Nov 14, 2022
KnownUnknown:

It seems they have a lot of sects in Buddhism, each with it own perspective, which is similar to the Christians, Muslims, or any religion that has existed long enough. How are they not as rigid or flexible as the rest of them?
I also think you are painting them with a broad brush regarding how they consider their tomes. It’s not far fetched that some consider them indelible particularly those containing “detailed analysis” of the nature, origin, and interaction of material and psychological phenomena.

https://tricycle.org/beginners/buddhism/is-there-a-buddhist-bible/

Since Buddhism is really a family of religions rather than a single spiritual system, there isn’t one single set of scriptures considered authoritative by all Buddhist groups. Each Buddhist tradition follows its own scriptural “canon” (collection of foundational texts) and has produced a mountain of commentary and teachings based on those canons.

Theravada Buddhists root their practices in the Pali canon, which includes some of the earliest-dated Buddhist texts, recorded in an ancient Indian language called Pali. These scriptures are known as the Tipitaka (“Three Baskets”) because they include three major groups of texts. The “Sutta Pitaka” contains the suttas (Sanskrit, sutras) or recorded discourses of the Buddha and some of his disciples; the “Vinaya Pitaka” contains the Buddha’s code of discipline for his monastic community; and the “Abhidhamma Pitaka” contains a detailed analysis of the nature, origin, and interaction of material and psychological phenomena. Scholars generally date this last group of texts to a few hundred years after the Buddha’s death, perhaps between the third and first century BCE.

The Chinese canon, the body of scriptures that is considered authoritative by East Asian Buddhist traditions (including Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese), was likely recorded between the first century BCE and the fifth century CE. There’s plenty of overlap between the Chinese and Pali canons (for instance, the Chinese canon contains a version of the suttas, the Buddha’s discourses, known as the agamas), but they part in crucial doctrinal ways, too. The Tibetan canon, split into the Kangyur (what’s considered the word of the Buddha) and the Tengyur (later commentaries), also overlaps with the Chinese canon and contains its own unique scriptures, including the tantra texts.

Some other schools of Buddhism base their practices and doctrines on specific sutras or treatises. Nichiren Buddhism, for instance, is founded on a scripture known as the Lotus Sutra, and chanting the sutra’s title is a principal part of the practice. Pure Land Buddhists, meanwhile, study three sutras that concentrate on a buddha known as Amitabha, or the Buddha of Infinite Light, who is said to reign over the “pure land,” a kind of Buddhist heaven where conditions for attaining enlightenment are favorable.

I think we are on the same page concerning Buddhism, I just was trying to be succinct in my statements.
Re: A Question For Atheists by LordReed(m): 11:44am On Nov 14, 2022
KnownUnknown:
Monks incited a deadly four-day rampage against minority Muslims in central Myanmar, Reuters found. The killings come amid the rapid spread of an apartheid-like movement known as 969.

“If you follow us, I’ll kill her,” the monk taunted police, according to a witness, as a Buddhist mob armed with machetes and swords chased nearly 100 Muslims in this city in central Myanmar.
https://www.pulitzer.org/files/2014/international-reporting/reuters/04reuters2014.pdf

Glad I didn't say they were any less prone to violence. LoLz.
Re: A Question For Atheists by triplechoice(m): 2:13pm On Nov 14, 2022
Ayo13945:
Islam or Judaism.

It depends on the form of Buddhism one is exposed to as there are traditional Buddhist groups whose practises and beliefs are a put off for an atheist or the irreligious.

The form of Buddhism tolerated by the irreligious is the modernised one that places emphasis on rationality and meditative practises to take charge of one's mind.

Here, adherents are advised to subject anything they hear or read to rational analysis before accepting it. It doesn't matter if it's coming from a high ranking religious figure within the group or if what you read is contained in Buddhist scripture. But this is not so in the two major abrahamic religion where truth is only found in the Bible/Koran or from a respected pastor/Imam

Infact in modern Buddhism any practice or belief that has been proven scientifically to be unhelpful or harmful is discarded.

Also, there's no concept of God in Buddhism. The Buddha, the founder of the religion, is not deified or worshipped as a God. It is due to this Buddhism has been described as an atheistic religion

Furthermore, Buddhist don't attempt to convert of force their religion on anyone. You're advised to take your time to explore the teachings first before making the decision to join. No treat of hell fire or eternal damnation if you decide it's not for you.They allow you be and because of this they are tolerated.

And again modern Buddhism don't discriminate against women. They allow for equal participation

Finally, I already mentioned it before, the main attraction and why the irreligious or atheist is more tolerant of Buddhism, is the meditative practises which has been proven to provide salutory effect on the brain/mind. Atheist and non atheist, not all though, practise some form of Buddhist meditation to take charge of their mind. If you can't control your mind, then it becomes difficult to have control over your life.

BTW I'm not an atheist. You can describe me as agnostic or just irreligious.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/why-do-buddhists-meditate/zdt9f4j

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Question For Atheists by triplechoice(m): 2:17pm On Nov 14, 2022
LordReed:

Glad I didn't say they were any less prone to violence. LoLz.

There are all manner of persons within any group.
Re: A Question For Atheists by Dtruthspeaker: 2:22pm On Nov 14, 2022
1Sharon:

And you ppl are still violent after Abraham came and went.

With evil loving people like you walking around, The Law of violence would have to come into violence.
Re: A Question For Atheists by triplechoice(m): 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2022
KnownUnknown:

I don't think anything that happened in that story has anything to do with the rellgion.

Buddhism advocates for the sanctity of human and animal life and for this, they are mostly vegetarians.

The monks and the other adherents , in the report, are humans who reacted under immense pressure . The story says a monk was killed first and I think they couldn't control their emotions in such circumstances and went amok.
Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2022
triplechoice:

I don't think anything that happened in that story has anything to do with the rellgion.

Buddhism advocates for the sanctity of human and animal life and for this, they are mostly vegetarians.

The monks and the other adherents , in the report, are humans who reacted under immense pressure . The story says a monk was killed first and I think they couldn't control their emotions in such circumstances and went amok.

Yeah, no true Scotsman. Same ol’ song.
Re: A Question For Atheists by triplechoice(m): 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2022
KnownUnknown:

Yeah, no true Scotsman. Same ol’ song.
Lol. I'm not a Buddhist. What you picked out from that article doesn't address the op and I think it was an attempt to look for something anywhere as support for one thing, "every rellgion is the same'.

"The danger of a single story" chimamanda Adichie
Re: A Question For Atheists by KnownUnknown: 3:39pm On Nov 14, 2022
triplechoice:

Lol. I'm not a Buddhist. What you picked out from that article doesn't address the op and I think it was an attempt to look for something anywhere as support for one thing, "every rellgion is the same'.

"The danger of a single story" chimamanda Adichie

I didn’t say you were a Buddhist nor do I care if you are. I’m not an atheist but I was addressing Lordreed’s opinions and posted the violence to point out they can be just as violent as the Abrahamic ones.

Every religion is they same as they are all certain people’s opinions at the end of the day.
Re: A Question For Atheists by LordReed(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2022
triplechoice:

There are all manner of persons within any group.

Sure.
Re: A Question For Atheists by triplechoice(m): 6:09pm On Nov 14, 2022
KnownUnknown:

I didn’t say you were a Buddhist nor do I care if you are. I’m not an atheist but I was addressing Lordreed’s opinions and posted the violence to point out they can be just as violent as the Abrahamic ones..
And I ask, is there anything in that religion that you know of that has caused those monks to behave that way?

If you can find it ,please post it here.

Buddhist as a group have never in their history gone on any "jihad" or Inquisition(mass killings) to forcefully convert anyone into their fold.

If the group as a whole was never guilty of the above in the past and even in the present times, what then is your point of using and isolated incident involving some Monks who were obviously acting on their own to declare that Buddhism encourages its members to be violent or the religion makes one prone to violence.

Buddhist are not covered by special grace or holy spirit that's expected to make them have good behaviour.

You're on your own from what I know of the rellgion.

In Buddhism, even though they have certain moral codes which guides behaviour, there are no strong restrictions of how members are expected to behave at any given time.

You're free to act as you deem fit, but made to understand that the responsibility for anything you do is yours to bear alone: your karma.

Every religion is they same as they are all certain people’s opinions at the end of the day.

Every religion is not the same. You have used what you know about the two Abrahamic religion to generalise.

Yes , both Buddhism and the abrahamic religion have sprung from the opinions of people, but that doesn't make them the same kind of religion.

You're comparing apples with oranges. It doesn't work.
Re: A Question For Atheists by Zooposki(f): 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2022
Ayo13945:
Islam or Judaism.

(1) (Reply)

Flip Flop Doctrines Of Jehovah's Witnesses And Their Uncertainties / Elijah’s Warning To Christians After He Was Taken To Heaven / Sales And Letting Of Properties By Xplicit Properties Ltd.08023972406

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.