Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does (46376 Views)

Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Help, How Much Is The Annual Rent For Ihs Tower / Is 700k Annual Rent Too Much For Someone Earning 300k Monthly / What Is The Annual Rent For Telecoms Mast In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by sonnie10: 9:30am On Nov 19, 2022
Calibrator:
I really should level up a little... Just realised that my rent is just 3% of my estimated minimum yearly income... No wonder I have too much disposable income to lavish on things Nigerians consider as luxuries cheesy

Bachelorhood is bliss if you have a sustainable income and live within your means.
Try start your own building small small. Do it now while you have less responsibilities, time goes by really fast. I come in peace.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by surgical: 9:32am On Nov 19, 2022
post=118510988:

You are 100% right Sir. ✅️
liars, the yorubas says the person that intend to cloth you ,you will first observe his dressing
Tinubu with his boys have been ruling lagos for close to 24 years ,they never thought of these
Tinubu wants to scam us again with useless promises like he did in 2015 and 2019,people are wiser now, no 419 gimmick will work again except on his followers and supporters ,and they can create their own kingdom to enjoy their fake promises

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by onuman: 9:32am On Nov 19, 2022
Some inborn cheats have monthly pay which is more than their annual rent, yet they owe landlords.

2 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Pedrocross4568(m): 9:34am On Nov 19, 2022
ednut1:
All these useless standards. Then you spend 4 hours in traffic, sleep deprived, slowly kill your mental and physical health etc. abeg make una rest

You are so on point bro
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Sylvaxxl1(m): 9:35am On Nov 19, 2022
Allisgud:
Lagos state govt are making a mediocre development,they just select some side for development which is the highland,they should also focus on badagry expressway,agege,iyana ipaja axis,so investors,companies,banks,malls eateries,real estates will be running towards there,with this hold up will reduce,there will be job over there,which means if u leave in a affordable house,u will still pay less for transport if u have a job in ur area
What you've said makes sense but you know what, greed is the eyes of those landlords once they see development. My parents just moved out of that area which cost about 300k - 400k for a 3 bedroom 4years ago. As I'm talking to you, because of the development that recently came to the area, the said 3bedroom is about 1million right now, I'm talking of baruwa area

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by cigaricon(m): 9:35am On Nov 19, 2022
SmartyPants:

That's not realistic unless you earn very well and live far beneath you rmeans.

But why do that to yourself? Home is where you spend the vast majority of your time so realistically, you should spend on rent, an amount you can afford to save up within a few months. Knowing how most people struggle to save, I would suggest a maximum of 3 months.

The real issue is that in Nigeria landlords collect rent for a full year, which is unfair and should be done away with. The global standard is monthly rent payment, obviously, [b]because people don't get paid annually, but month[/b]ly.

Seconded. I wish monthly payment could be adopted in Nigeria
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Legendguy(m): 9:36am On Nov 19, 2022
ForG:

I lived in a self-contain in abuleegba for 7 years. Moved this year.

48k per annum.

Hello bro, pls what's the cost of renting a self contained in abulegba now
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:36am On Nov 19, 2022
Princess80:
With the global inflation inflation, its hard not to live in the wrong apartment.

My rent is just $800 pcm which makes it $9600 per year,
Its a lil above 2months salary. I am in the wrong apartment then

Makes you a high earner then. The rule probably does not apply to you.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Reference(m): 9:39am On Nov 19, 2022
It all depends on what works for you, the stress of earning income or the stress of spending it.
Some prefer the challenge of things beyond their means so it drives them to aspire to a better life and be ambitious.... you can say greed.
Others have their eyes glued to the bottom line, the 'what ifs' that cling to the bird in hand.... you can say fear.
And there is the demographic of single people that have only one consideration as opposed to families where the partner and the children come in to complicate the equation.

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Eaglehaven: 9:41am On Nov 19, 2022
DeOTR:
One month actually.
I believe you should be able to pay your rent, saving half of your monthly income for two months.

I would agree to this
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Eaglehaven: 9:43am On Nov 19, 2022
cigaricon:

Seconded. I wish monthly payment could be adopted in Nigeria

If we allow for monthly payment

House rent in Nigeria will skyrocket

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Amos1423(m): 9:45am On Nov 19, 2022
akwesenana:

Ikpa road house na 30k a yeargrin

I no really know about the rent there Sha cause ave never stayed there before but I been dey work for one ICT company like that dey teach N-Power people graphics and data processing and I come join dey do radio gig... bro, I suffer tire that year Sha and the both work wey I been dey do debt don consume me for untop 30k o. ONLY GOD!!
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Awhabro16: 9:46am On Nov 19, 2022
You talk too much....
Oyindamolah:
Your annual rent shouldn't exceed your two months salary. If it does, you're in the wrong apartment.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 19, 2022
If it does Police won't catch you otherwise I would have been arrested long ago. The thing is, a Just Okey 2 bedroom flat Apartment is just what's right for a married man. Unfortunately such apartments cost not less than 3-4
months salary of an average civil servant in Nigeria. Add transportation experiens to that and then you will understand why a civil servant is condemned to poverty from the first day he got appointment letter except in the cases where such job gives room for making illegal money regularly. In a nutshell, every Nigeria civil servant is getting paid to just eat so as to get enough stamina to make it back to the office the next day.

4 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Isabi4lov: 9:49am On Nov 19, 2022
Facts ,true true who go help you no go stress you ... Lagos will definitely humble you grin
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by pstemma1990: 9:49am On Nov 19, 2022
Allison012:
Where in Abj? mpape, maraba, nyaya, gwagwalada. where exactly? because no 70k self contain here.
I didn't say Abj, from Maraba to Masaka u will get good self contained for 70k, if not for fuel problems, from Masaka to Abj town was 200 naira, so even if you are living inside town, u will still pay t.p to work.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:50am On Nov 19, 2022
Princess80:
With the global inflation inflation, its hard not to live in the wrong apartment.

My rent is just $800 pcm which makes it $9600 per year,
Its a lil above 3months salary. I am in the wrong apartment then
Sister relocate to face me I slap u passage house 4 US there sharperly... no dulling!
grin
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Franking: 9:51am On Nov 19, 2022
Buhari and the APC has thrown Nigerians into utold hardship and still shamelessly campaign for next year's elections.

I hope APC and all their supporters are having it easy otherwise u should cover ur faces in shame.

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by blackknyte(m): 9:52am On Nov 19, 2022
PlayerMeji:
That's what Tinubu is proposing

Complete bulabu! Why is this not applicable in Lagos? undecided

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by FireUpNow(m): 9:55am On Nov 19, 2022
This OP is drunk. Saying two months salary should pay one's annual rent, this is not applicable in Lagos unless you are assuming everyone lives in a one room apartment. Does this OP know how much a standard 3 bedroom flat apartment annual rent payment is in places like Maryland, Ikeja, Surulere, Ebutemeta, Illupeju, Anthony Village? Baba OP wake up nor sleep

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Mavor: 9:55am On Nov 19, 2022
One month of my salary sef is double the value of my house rent. Anyone leaving beyond his/her means without budgeting is on their own.

2 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:55am On Nov 19, 2022
ForG:

I lived in a self-contain in abuleegba for 7 years. Moved this year.

48k per annum.
Lai Mohamed! which kyne sefcon be dat?
undecided

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Mavor: 9:56am On Nov 19, 2022
FireUpNow:
This OP is drunk. Saying two months salary should pay one's annual rent, this is not applicable in Lagos unless you are assuming everyone lives in a one room apartment. Does this OP know how much a standard 3 bedroom flat apartment annual rent payment is in places like Maryland, Ikeja, Surulere, Ebutemeta, Illupeju, Anthony Village? Baba OP wake up nor sleep
All fingers are not equal.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by CodeTemplar: 9:57am On Nov 19, 2022
pstemma1990:
Abuja doesn't have any problem, u can live in Nasarawa and still work in Abuja, Majority of people working in Abuja are living in Niger and Nasarawa... But u will have to leave ur house early in order to beat traffic.
Abuja not as severe as Lagos. Though true.

2 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by ForG(m): 9:58am On Nov 19, 2022
MichaelSokoto:

Lai Mohamed!

Stupidity. What do I gain from lying?

This revelation only diminishes my status as many will depict me as cheap.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Cutehector(m): 9:58am On Nov 19, 2022
Joseph1505:

You are here looking for high paying jobs when someone is cashing out daily online by just doing some Copywriting jobs
bros, it's not everybody that will be doing copyrighting jobs. If you are good at it then thank Your Maker and keep quiet.

There are still people out there who make 100 times more than you do and will not come out here to brag.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by donmik: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2022
ednut1:
All these useless standards. Then you spend 4 hours in traffic, sleep deprived, slowly kill your mental and physical health etc. abeg make una rest

U make sense
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Cutehector(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2022
Calibrator:
I really should level up a little... Just realised that my rent is just 3% of my estimated minimum yearly income... No wonder I have too much disposable income to lavish on things Nigerians consider as luxuries cheesy

Bachelorhood is bliss if you have a sustainable income and live within your means.
abeg where you dey stay let me join you and pick a house to pay rent in that area.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by favinvest: 10:01am On Nov 19, 2022
I doubt if this financial advisor stays in Lagos..

See if u stay too far away from ur office.. its ur health that will pay for it in Lagos in the long run..

Imagine having office in Victoria Island and ur accommodation is at ikorodu or igando or abule gba or iyano Iba or mowoe or lakwe etc!!
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by ForG(m): 10:01am On Nov 19, 2022
Legendguy:

Hello bro, pls what's the cost of renting a self contained in abulegba now

No idea. My landlord was quoting 84k when I left.

FYI, the house had no water system. But had free borehole.

No tiles.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by CBR100: 10:02am On Nov 19, 2022
SmartyPants:

That's not realistic unless you earn very well and live far beneath you rmeans.

But why do that to yourself? Home is where you spend the vast majority of your time so realistically, you should spend on rent, an amount you can afford to save up within a few months. Knowing how most people struggle to save, I would suggest a maximum of 3 months.

The real issue is that in Nigeria landlords collect rent for a full year, which is unfair and should be done away with. The global standard is monthly rent payment, obviously, because people don't get paid annually, but monthly.

I disagree with your point on collecting rent monthly, it makes it very expensive
compare to annually rent (and even most landlord are shortchanging their selves on rent)

look at other african countries running monthly from Ghana, to go, ivory coast etc their rent is just overly ezpensive
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by clockwisereport: 10:03am On Nov 19, 2022
Positivepoint:

150k+52k=202k
300k+15k=315k

Difference 315k-202k=113k

You got it wrong

150k + (12×52k) = 774k
300k +(12×15k) = 480k

The person that paid 300k as rent is the one that saved more money

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little (detailed) Pt 2 / Aba Residents Rescue Children From Burning Building (Photos) / See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.