Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,291 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does (46414 Views)

Please Nairalanders, I Need Your Help, How Much Is The Annual Rent For Ihs Tower / Is 700k Annual Rent Too Much For Someone Earning 300k Monthly / What Is The Annual Rent For Telecoms Mast In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Uniquekriss(m): 11:00am On Nov 19, 2022
Nairalander248:

Lagos
wow... You're lucky
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:03am On Nov 19, 2022
Nairalander248:
Mine is 1month on the spot.. Na Woman remain to marry�
Depends on how much ur rent is and the type of house you live in.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:07am On Nov 19, 2022
ednut1:
All these useless standards. Then you spend 4 hours in traffic, sleep deprived, slowly kill your mental and physical health etc. abeg make una rest
Obviously a Lagosian or Abj resident is typing. See, such analysis definitely wouldn't work for workers in these location. I feel ur plight.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by ModCaller: 11:08am On Nov 19, 2022
Mercury12:
Lol its like working for landlord.
Some areas in abuja and Lagos residents can relate cheesy

The landlord is rendering you a service.

Why not live on the street for some days to correct this your mentality.

If landlords don't build houses, you won't even see anywhere to squat. Be grateful.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by MelesZanawi: 11:08am On Nov 19, 2022
Allisgud:
use ur brain oga,and discus on the e.g I gave,we have about 10k people trooping from that region to v.i,ikoyi lekki vgc why because there is a better pay than those place u mention

You just keep arguing like a dunce. You are talking about VGC which is residential. You go school so?
The Island is the hub of financial services just like the Mainland is the hub of Manufacturing, Transportation, Tertiary Education, Sports and other sectors.
Markets are built around the financial sector to facilitate commerce. Logistics and transportation are domiciled on the Mainland.
Dangote is one of the highest employers of labour in Nigeria. His HQ is on the island but most of his staff work on the Mainland.
That is distribution of development.

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:09am On Nov 19, 2022
opera1:
True. Or even 1 and ½ Month. Anything above this is just like working for the Landlord.
Hehehe, u're either being sarcastic or illogical.

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:10am On Nov 19, 2022
post=118510984:
SECONDED

This makes sense too.
Easier said that done.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:11am On Nov 19, 2022
Dollyak:
This does not always work, especially when the rule is against net income
Of course, we're talking about net income.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by omonnakoda: 11:11am On Nov 19, 2022
jmichael259:

Check their suicide rates among men. It's called modern slavery for a reason.
You have nothing to say
What makes you think suicide rates are different among men FROM nIGERIA?

What do you know about suicide

When you talk think first

What is the housing supply in Nigeria compared to the UK or US

In the UK there is social security that houses people and pays their rent if they are unemployed

Stop talking ignorantly
Even those who are employed on low pay get financial support

we saw this during the Pandemic

what happened to oue own PALLIATIVES

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by brownemmanuel43(m): 11:12am On Nov 19, 2022
Shurtman79:
I've been reading reading reading, please what about we the artisan?
U should know ur average income per month, that alone would give u d answer

2 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:12am On Nov 19, 2022
alimiadedayo1:

is not everybody that will live in maraba nyaya side or gwagwala or zuba to the main town If you calculate the house rent, transport and food stuffs coming from these places I mentioned except maraba and nyaya which is close to town there is nothing to show fort ..it is just like you are working like a machine
Exactly.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by brownemmanuel43(m): 11:13am On Nov 19, 2022
mrkings84:
Abeg what's the current cigil servant pay again?
30k abi, so no civil servant should live in a house anove 60k per annum.
Most of them lives on loan until their retirement age, most especially d junior staff

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:13am On Nov 19, 2022
Offpoint1:
Some use 7months of their salary for rent just to maintain status quo.
Slavery.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by pinkasso: 11:17am On Nov 19, 2022
Lol!., most of this thread wey dey on code they encourage people to be employees for the rest of their life is damn irritating..dull logic if I must say, people may be willing to pay a little more just because of proximity, it may even be required for their career growth etc..the most important question is " are you getting value for what you paid for?"..as an employee I saved up some money resigned and rented a place with almost 70% of my savings then (three bedroom apartment) then adopted the India model, I used my palour and two rooms to start up my business I really struggled at first but the business stared growing and in six months time I had three staff and today the rest is history..my point is there is no formula that can guarantee things will work the way you expect, what if you lose that job?..all you have to do is to try and save the best way you can but if you are ambitious and you have a career ahead of you these benchmark will make your salaried income to be a bottleneck for growth!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Faposky95: 11:19am On Nov 19, 2022
Why all these contraptions
Na by God's Grace we dey eat, sleep, pay rent, send child..ren go schu.... hold madam, escape creditors, catch debtors, cheat for work, pay offering.... And so on
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Allisgud: 11:19am On Nov 19, 2022
MelesZanawi:

You just keep arguing like a dunce. You are talking about VGC which is residential. You go school so?
The Island is the hub of financial services just like the Mainland is the hub of Manufacturing, Transportation, Tertiary Education, Sports and other sectors.
Markets are built around the financial sector to facilitate commerce. Logistics and transportation are domiciled on the Mainland.
Dangote is one of the highest employers of labour in Nigeria. His HQ is on the island but most of his staff work on the Mainland.
That is distribution of development.
malu shebi the whole v.i na resident
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by omonnakoda: 11:21am On Nov 19, 2022
Mercury12:
Lol its like working for landlord.
Some areas in abuja and Lagos residents can relate cheesy
Not sure what you mean by

WORKING FOR LANDLORD

Many people have this false mentality that there is a virtue in owning a house.

The reality is that owning a house is often an indulgence and when you do the actuarials(math) it is often cheaper to rent

If you build a house with 100 million and live in it you have tied the capital down and it is not generating income. That is the opportunity cost

You are better off renting and investing the money
It is old fashioned thinking to believe you must put money in property . Even if you must do so let it be commercial property not residential
Invest your 100 million in Nigerian Breweries or Guinness and rent you will be fine. Nigerians will never stop drinking and when they do they always pay unlike tenants

If you own a house and live in it you are still paying rent if you are a real businessman you would know that your rent is the opportunity cost rental income you could have made if you rented out that same house.
Imagine building a house with 5 rooms and living in it alone and deceiving yourself that you have invested

In other words you could own a house but not afford to live in THAT HOUSE

Anything that does not bring income is NOT an investment it is speculation

10 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:21am On Nov 19, 2022
pman06:

I do tell my friends, if one month income can't pay for your rent, problem don dey already, you just don't know it yet.
Your opinion.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:26am On Nov 19, 2022
Allisgud:
Lagos state govt are making a mediocre development,they just select some side for development which is the highland,they should also focus on badagry expressway,agege,iyana ipaja axis,so investors,companies,banks,malls eateries,real estates will be running towards there,with this hold up will reduce,there will be job over there,which means if u leave in a affordable house,u will still pay less for transport if u have a job in ur area
Island.

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:27am On Nov 19, 2022
Uniquekriss:
na self con be that na, except u dey work for big office
U should know he's still very single.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Rinoxy: 11:31am On Nov 19, 2022
SmartyPants:

You people will just lift content from Twitter and other places and post here.

What is your goal?

Okay, let's even address the actual point: how did you arrive at the 20% figure?
As long as it's impactful, where it's taken from inconsequential.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Shurtman79(m): 11:37am On Nov 19, 2022
dododawa1:
single room 84k annually is ok OR ordinary room/parlour 120k is ok.
though I dey manage my normal room/parlour for now. Just wanted to learn more thanks
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by olympianares: 11:40am On Nov 19, 2022
CodeTemplar:
It is disheartening when a 10 years old house landlord increase rent like he just finished building it yesterday. I feel you OP.
with the excuse that the price of cement just increased

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by festyese: 11:43am On Nov 19, 2022
Come to Abuja and explain.
Oyindamolah:
Your annual rent shouldn't exceed your two months salary. If it does, you're in the wrong apartment.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by SmartyPants(m): 11:45am On Nov 19, 2022
Rinoxy:

As long as it's impactful, where it's taken from inconsequential.

But that was exactly my point. It was lifted without any clear rhyme or reason.

Why exactly should anyone listen to this person's opinion? No reasoning, just a blanket statement that the OP cannot justify because they merely lifted it from someone else.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by omonnakoda: 11:46am On Nov 19, 2022
pinkasso:
Lol!., most of this thread wey dey on code they encourage people to be employees for the rest of their life is damn irritating..dull logic if I must say, people may be willing to pay a little more just because of proximity, it may even be required for their career growth etc..the most important question is " are you getting value for what you paid for?"..as an employee I saved up some money resigned and rented a place with almost 70% of my savings then (three bedroom apartment) then adopted the India model, I used my palour and two rooms to start up my business I really struggled at first but the business stared growing and in six months time I had three staff and today the rest is history..my point is there is no formula that can guarantee things will work the way you expect, what if you lose that job?..all you have to do is to try and save the best way you can but if you are ambitious and you have a career ahead of you these benchmark will make your salaried income to be a bottleneck for growth!!
Reality

Most people will be employees for the rest of their lives

well over 80% of the population

No matter your ideals as an individual the reality of the population is what it is
Most people cannot be entrepreneurs unless we include those roasting Plantain and hawking oranges
Your biography is interesting but is not reality or realistic for most people

4 Likes

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by ufuosman(m): 11:48am On Nov 19, 2022
Nairalander248:
Mine is 1month on the spot.. Na Woman remain to marry�
ur own good. U go see ur wife soon
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by zudozz: 11:56am On Nov 19, 2022
Not in Nigeria ps.
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by ufuosman(m): 11:56am On Nov 19, 2022
Dis naija wen rent high and little pay jobs
Make I mute first
Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by jaxxy(m): 11:56am On Nov 19, 2022
Oyindamolah:
Your annual rent shouldn't exceed your two months salary. If it does, you're in the wrong apartment.

This was the rule of thumb bt it can no longer work or apply under hyper inflation circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Your Annual Rent Shouldn't Exceed Your Two Months Salary. If It Does by Olumaeme: 12:00pm On Nov 19, 2022
Rubyjade:
Okay, salary 100k house 150k
Job location, Victoria Island.
House location, Sangotedo, Awoyaya.

Transportation 2k daily=52k

House at igbo efon, agungi, osapa, ilasan and chisco 250-300k
Transport N600 =15k

I don't know but please if you pass mathematics in school you can help

When you rent a house in an Expensive neighbourhood, you are not only paying expensive rent but also on amenities.

Higher cost of transportation In Abuja, no keke or okada, higher school fees, expensive hospitals, expensive restaurants etc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

High Quality And Affordable Polysterene Parapet For Your Roof / Aba Residents Rescue Children From Burning Building (Photos) / See What Is Happening In The Compound l Am Living In.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.