Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? (4684 Views)

Celebrating Mediocrity In Nigeria By Femke Van Zeijl / The Mediocrity In The Nigerian Government / Federal Character Breeds Mediocrity - Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Gbenge77(m): 1:43pm On Aug 26, 2011
To be candid,Adams is a chameleon.I wasnt fooled by his nonsensical activism.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2011
pinkrex:

[size=14pt]You dont need ten years to transform a state if you are judiciously using the available funds for its purpose. It only takes a non corrupt mind to do justice[/size] undecided undecided undecided

Wonderful comment there! wink
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2011
Twy you have said it all. Children are brought up to give unquestioning respect to elders and chieftains, even siblings who may only be 5 years older. Age and position suddenly become  tools for possible manipulation and oppression.

The age thing is a psychological bondage in the Nigerian psyche. Elders can do no wrong, in Yoruba there is an adage " omo de to ba mowo we a ba agba jeun" literally meaning in English “if a kid knows how to wash his hands properly he/she would eat with the elders from the same bowl”. Obviously a kid would not start eating the meat in the soup until the elder gives him/her the green light
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Reptyle(m): 1:51pm On Aug 26, 2011
Yes we glorify and enthrone mediocrity. Just take a look our President for example; what can be more mediocre than the well educated flop we have running our country? Shame on us!!!!!
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2011
In a way, it's a cultural thing.
I know of Yoruba culture, you must not disrespect your elders/betters, just take whatever you are given, etc. Though we did have visionary Yorubas like Awolowo,  who had a high standard, and tried to set the pace in many things when he was premier of the Western Region. But generally, you have this thing about not speaking out against the so-called elders. It has been appropriated by mischievous people to institute a culture of idolization of more fortunate people.

Hausa culture might be similar, especially for religious reasons. The Hausa picture is not really different from most of the North African or Arab nations. I've been looking at images and films of Libya, and I'm not too impressed with the overall picture of development out there.

I am not sure of Igbo culture, though. They say they are more egalitarian, but you don't see the effect in the way they live. The 'leaders' in the South East and South South more or less loot with impunity and reckless abandon. The people generally react with a total breakdown of law and order, which is why kidnapping has been so rampant out there.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by KnowAll(m): 2:00pm On Aug 26, 2011
You dont need ten years to transform a state if you are judiciously using the available funds for its purpose. It only takes a non corrupt mind to do justice

The Governor Akwa Ibom State has opened the eyes of a lot of Nigerians to the con, some of his colleagues deploy in other to jettison genuine development and agitation all in the name of guaranteeing the Governor's fixed deducted amount monthly. The Governor of Akwa Ibom State went as far as saying he was prepared to pay N50,000 Naira to the lowest paid worker in his state. It shows the level of greed permeating within confines of this gentlemen's club, many of these selfish men are Governors for self aggrandizement. They are the one killing the country.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by pinkrex(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2011
KnowAll:

The Governor Akwa Ibom State has opened the eyes of a lot of Nigerians to the con, some of his colleagues deploy in other to jettison genuine development and agitation all in the name of guaranteeing the Governor's fixed deducted amount monthly. The Governor of Akwa Ibom State went as far as saying he was prepared to pay N50,000 Naira to the lowest paid worker in his state. It shows the level of greed permeating within confines of this gentlemen's club, many of these selfish men are Governors for self aggrandizement. They are the one killing the country.

Seconded!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by stunna2(m): 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2011
THAT IS AN ALREADY SETTLED ISSUE AND IF NIGERIA FAILED IT WILL BE THE REASON AND NIGERIA ELEVATES MEDIOCRITY AND ABSURDNESS!!!

Read the thread about the most popular phones in nigeria and the one that asked if naija men are intimidated by women who drive, and notice the comments of some people! The one talks about the differences between iphone 3GS and 4 and claimed that iphone 3GS belongs to the museum: another one person , i believe is sexkills he calls himself talks about some cars women would drive that would make him worship 'em because them cars were not cars at all but machines!!!!

contextually there maybe nothing wrong with any of the above except that this is a snap short of the nigerian brain, negarians are not fascinated by those who make such tech marvels of phones or cars or the science behind them but by the people who owns those phones and cars!!
nigerians worship the made rather than the maker and this applies to their relationship with god and its the reason for the wickedness and the lawlessness too!!

now, over here, no matter what car a person drives, u ask them two questions mostly - what is ur educational background and where do u work and you can then immediately estimate if they can afford the car they are driving or not before you are impressed, but not so in naija O, it appears!! show up in a car u neither have the education or the job to afford and people clap and bow, it is unreal!!
i come to NL and read sexkills talk about his used BMW of $18,000 from 2007 as if he has an audience with jah when he is driving it and i stepped out from my house here in the TDot and i see kids ways younger than him drives a 2012 versions n bigger models than he has without a peep and as regular people and im baffled!!

oh well, im sure thinking people here get my point, in advanced societies we stress about how to be counted by the products we design make and export to the rest of the world while nigeria insist on being recognised by its ability to consume!!!!

a relative said a computer that was sent to them was outdated and when asked what the specs where, she did not know and she has a university degree! her father says they do not use any tv that is not silver anymore in nigeria [/b]when the new SHARP AQUOS TV i just bought for myself then is all black and cost just over N300,000 and
im never sure weather to be just irritated or dismayed when i hear stuff like that

[b]so the relevant topic should be how to curb this out of control trend of the cultivation and elevation of mediocrity in nigeria as you can see everywhere u look in all facets of nigerian society and life,

mtcheeeew
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Ifecotag: 2:38pm On Aug 26, 2011
In a country where a money miss road is respected than a person with a great idea. A society that has been eaten deeply by materialism. what do you expect?

We have to be philosophical and apply critical thinking in our approach to things before any fundamental change will occur in that country. Other than that, Mediocrity will continue to be glorified the more.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 26, 2011
Someone stated that even the educated elevate mediocrity.

The educated are the ones that are most resistant to any form of change or creativity,
their education makes them rigid and scared,
If i had a choice I would choose the creative problem solver over the certificated underachiever any day,

The other day i was talkn about Soyinka and i wondered where all the First classers in his class in Ife, ironic isn't it the Wole had a third class degree and all over the world his name is known
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by ektbear: 3:17pm On Aug 26, 2011
pinkrex:

Think outside the box before you pass on comments. When the yearly budget is passed, they is always a percentage allocation to all regions according to population indices and other variable factors. The Governors have target or plan of how to develop the geographical location they are assigned to govern. They also generate income internally to boost their budget, so I think the Governors with good and focal administrative skills would have more than available to transform every state. Fashola's first tenure was a dedicated one, so you could see the rapid changes. Apart from Akpabio that towed through that line of governance, no other governor in Nigeria did but we could see the clear difference in transformation of the states i have mentioned.

You dont need ten years to transform a state if you are judiciously using the available funds for its purpose. It only takes a non corrupt mind to do justice undecided undecided undecided

Can you please name a single nation or region anywhere in the world that had massive poverty in year 1 and eliminated it by year 10? This to me seems impossible.

Regarding bolded, are you saying that the primary reason the state hasn't eliminated poverty is because of Oshiomhole's corruption? cheesy

I think we should be a bit more realistic.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by pinkrex(m): 3:33pm On Aug 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Can you please name a single nation or region anywhere in the world that had massive poverty in year 1 and eliminated it by year 10? This to me seems impossible.

Regarding bolded, are you saying that the primary reason the state hasn't eliminated poverty is because of Oshiomhole's corruption? cheesy

I think we should be a bit more realistic.

Are you sure you understand my post at all? I generalized the bolded sir grin grin grin
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by ektbear: 3:37pm On Aug 26, 2011
Perhaps I missed the point your post. But maybe if you answer the questions I posed, I'll better be able to understand it.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by pinkrex(m): 3:41pm On Aug 26, 2011
Try the connotative meaning boss cool cool cool
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by ektbear: 3:49pm On Aug 26, 2011
Let me restate my question, so that we don't dance around like this forever.

What concretely should Oshiomhole do with the funds available to him that he currently isn't doing?

If he is not stealing any money, then are we arguing that Edo hasn't been transformed simply because he is spending the money unwisely? If so, then what would you do differently from him?

How would you eliminate poverty, or "transform [the] state?"
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On Aug 26, 2011
ROFL!!! grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 26, 2011
There are spiritual principalities that need to be pulled down before Edo can prosper.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Aug 26, 2011
Kobojunkie:

ROFL!!! grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by okooyinbo(m): 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2011
How would the government have money to build infrastructure when everybody expect the governor to share out the money?
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by stunna2(m): 4:26pm On Aug 26, 2011
if all else fails, wait for god; try nothing, wait for god; misuse what god gave ya then wait for god; refuse to be informed n wait for god; wallow in corruption then wait for god; elevate mediocrity to ur most important institutions and when the results come, sigh and wait for god; do RUNZ and when the consequence come knocking on ur door, wait for god,

what is that whole 2020 talk about anyways nigeria becoming one of the 20 industrialized countries by 2020 who dream up such slogans my people??
nigerian is not the 51st State of America, as long as yall think u r and continue on the course u r now, without any self reflection or a good picture of how things really r, we shall be here by 2020 and asking same questions!
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kaestro(m): 5:20pm On Aug 26, 2011
Without regurgitating the clever posts already made, yes we celebrate, glorify, honour, rejoice, praise mediocrity. Why? Because many have lost their sense of individuality, have had their minds eroded by the infectious mentality of "show business", everyone wants to somehow be a rockstar. Integrity, respect for ingenuity, hard work are values majority don't appreciate anymore. You can rarely get into an argument without someone making reference to your worth.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by tefund(m): 6:48pm On Aug 26, 2011
it is the same mediocrity spirit that allow us to be used by politician toward selfish end
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 3:24pm On Aug 27, 2011
Mediocrity is reason why we feel it is our place to manufacture EXCUSES for why our politicians ought not to be expected to do MORE with the resources available to them. Considering many are aware of the parable of the ten talents, it is amazing how the same would quickly cook up excuses for why we should not expect so much from our Governor's and politicians because of one reason or another.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by N101: 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2011
The best responses so far cool

ehie: Nigerians in general celebrate mediocrity, and i see it all around me not even in governance in the individuals i meet on a daily basis.
My two kobo on this is that you should seek to excel and continually improve yourself,strive to be better in terms of intellect and self awareness and not in terms of materialism and avarice.
We believe in conformity,the herd mentality it is pathetic, they believe in everything the newspaper tells them and are not curious,they font talk to themselves,ask themselves questions,look for solutions instead assign blame because it is much easier to be a critic than an achiever, Nigeria is a very medicore nation,success is actually having money in the bank,being a lawyer or a doctor a politician or a pastor.

creativity and innovation is not encouraged,brain stimulation is not encouraged,how many companies ask their staff to brain storm,make presentations?How many young people are encouraged to take creative risks,how many politicians.presidents can talk to the people in mind blowing oratory and not read a dull laborious speech in papaer not eve with a teleprompter.
Yes we are medicore

$tunna:

if all else fails, wait for god; try nothing, wait for god; misuse what god gave ya then wait for god; refuse to be informed n wait for god; wallow in corruption then wait for god; elevate mediocrity to your most important institutions and when the results come, sigh and wait for god; do RUNZ and when the consequence come knocking on your door, wait for god,

Kobojunkie:

Mediocrity is reason why we feel it is our place to manufacture EXCUSES for why our politicians ought not to be expected to do MORE with the resources available to them. Considering many are aware of the parable of the ten talents, it is amazing how the same would quickly cook up excuses for why we should not expect so much from our Governor's and politicians because of one reason or another.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by adconline(m): 9:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
I drove on Ijesha road and it was the worst human trap on earth. I later took a cab to Aguda, Surulere/Aguda road network is the worst on earth.Cab driver was even crying because the of the state of the road, Mind you this is where Fashola lived most of his life, How come all the praises on Fashola do not match what's on ground?
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by ektbear: 10:29pm On Aug 27, 2011
Looks like the question I posed will never be answered.

This is how I know when people are just doing the usual senseless grumbling and complaining they are inclined to do or if there is actually a real problem.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by okadaman2: 11:28pm On Aug 27, 2011
$tunna:

THAT IS AN ALREADY SETTLED ISSUE AND IF NIGERIA FAILED IT WILL BE THE REASON AND NIGERIA ELEVATES MEDIOCRITY AND ABSURDNESS!!!

Read the thread about the most popular phones in nigeria and the one that asked if naija men are intimidated by women who drive, and notice the comments of some people! The one talks about the differences between iphone 3GS and 4 and claimed that iphone 3GS belongs to the museum: another one person , i believe is sexkills he calls himself talks about some cars women would drive that would make him worship 'em because them cars were not cars at all but machines!!!!

contextually there maybe nothing wrong with any of the above except that this is a snap short of the nigerian brain, negarians are not fascinated by those who make such tech marvels of phones or cars or the science behind them but by the people who owns those phones and cars!!
nigerians worship the made rather than the maker and this applies to their relationship with god and its the reason for the wickedness and the lawlessness too!!

now, over here, no matter what car a person drives, u ask them two questions mostly - what is your educational background and where do u work and you can then immediately estimate if they can afford the car they are driving or not before you are impressed, but not so in naija O, it appears!! show up in a car u neither have the education or the job to afford and people clap and bow, it is unreal!!
i come to NL and read sexkills talk about his used BMW of $18,000 from 2007 as if he has an audience with jah when he is driving it and i stepped out from my house here in the TDot and i see kids ways younger than him drives a 2012 versions n bigger models than he has without a peep and as regular people and im baffled!!

oh well, im sure thinking people here get my point, in advanced societies we stress about how to be counted by the products we design make and export to the rest of the world while nigeria insist on being recognised by its ability to consume!!!!

a relative said a computer that was sent to them was outdated and when asked what the specs where, she did not know and she has a university degree! her father says they do not use any tv that is not silver anymore in nigeria [/b]when the new SHARP AQUOS TV i just bought for myself then is all black and cost just over N300,000 and
im never sure weather to be just irritated or dismayed when i hear stuff like that

[b]so the relevant topic should be how to curb this out of control trend of the cultivation and elevation of mediocrity in nigeria as you can see everywhere u look in all facets of nigerian society and life,

mtcheeeew

That's all.

A society filled with mostly empty headed IDOOOTAs with no sense of worth and constant demand for immediate gratification will always worship ephemeral things while ignoring enduring ideas.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:05am On Aug 28, 2011
D best piece of advice i've heard dis month, is to raise my head up, 2 come up out of d valley. What is success to d average nigerian. How do we define success, how do we measure it. But do we have a 'success is how much money u have' syndrome. I mean checkout a copy of ovation. If poverty is a state of mind, i have 2 think of all of us who miss opportunnities 2 make our lives better,financially and in other area's. People who had opportunities but could not make use of it because of poor thinking.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On Aug 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Looks like the question I posed will never be answered.

This is how I know when people are just doing the usual senseless grumbling and complaining they are inclined to do or if there is actually a real problem.

Probably because you asked a very silly question there, especially for someone who poses to be among the, for lack of a better word, ENLIGHTENED few ~!  undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by ektbear: 12:23am On Aug 28, 2011
Err, ok. You are entitled to your opinion I guess.
Re: Do We Glorify Mediocrity In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 12:26am On Aug 28, 2011
lol . . . . Opinion?? Let me help you there . . . .

Imagine if we had it this way instead . . . 
Kobojunkie bealink=topic=744295.msg9013845#msg9013845 date=1314370164:

Let me restate my question, so that we don't dance around like this forever.

What concretely should Jonathan [/b]do with the funds available to him that he currently isn't doing?

If he is not stealing any money, then are we arguing that [b]Nigeria [/b]hasn't been transformed simply because he is spending the money unwisely? If so, then what would you do differently from him?

How would you eliminate poverty, or "transform [the] [b]Country
?"

How sane do you still think those questions are now?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amaechi's Hospitals Vs Akpabio's Hospitals. / Atiku Abubakar: "Why I Married More Than 1 Wife" / BREAKING NEWS!!! Again Aisha Buhari Cancels Planned Visit To U.S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.