Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,505 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 (41932 Views)

Ex-beauty Queen, Irene Onwuka Marks Birthday With Stunning Photos / Irene Onwuka Finds Love Again As She Shares Romantic Video With Her New UK Bo / Queen Irene Onwuka Peace Foundation Celebrate School Children On Children's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Houseofglam7(f): 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2022
cry
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Golan007: 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2022

Wow!

What a feeling.

May her soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by sukkot: 5:08pm On Nov 26, 2022
dayummmmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by naptu2: 5:09pm On Nov 26, 2022
naptu2:
Trajectory 2

The group began as the Osmond Brothers and was originally a quartet. However, like the Jacksons, the second youngest brother, Donny, joined the group and became the lead singer. The group’s name changed to The Osmonds after Donny joined them.

The Osmonds was the only act from the family from the late 1960s into the early 1970s.

Marie Osmond launched her solo career in 1973 and she soon teamed up with her brother Donny to create the very famous act Donny & Marie. Donny & Marie became the most famous act of the family from the late 1970s into the early 1980s. This was helped in no small part by their very popular TV show, the Donny & Marie Show.

Both Donny and Marie also had successful solo careers. Donny sang rock music and Marie sang country music.

Jimmy Osmond was the youngest member of the family and he started his career by singing children’s songs. He was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the youngest person to have a number 1 song in the UK when his recording of “Long Haired Lover from Liverpool” got to the top of the charts. One of his songs was certified gold when he was only 5 years old and he became the first Osmond to have a gold record.

Jimmy often appeared on the Donny & Marie Show when he was older. He often made mischief and played pranks with his monsters and muppets. Sometimes, when the older people did not allow him to take the spotlight, his monsters and muppets would appear and crowd out the older people so that Jimmy would be the only one on the stage. He also often performed comedy skits or sang songs with the special guest. My abiding memory of Jimmy is with his muppets and monsters and that’s why I have not posted any videos of him, because I haven’t found any with his monsters until now. Here is a video of Jimmy performing on the Donny & Marie Show with one of his muppets. (Donnie & Marie also perform “She’s A Little Bit Country, He’s A Little Bit Rock N Roll” after Jimmy’s performance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJsEomqfKSs

Jimmy also had a successful acting career when he became a teenager in the late 1970s and 1980s. He acted in several movies and one of them, The Great Brain, became a regular holiday and weekend movie on NTA2 Channel 5 in the early 1980s.

Jimmy also acted in TV series and he famously acted in the blockbuster TV series, “Fame”.

I have written about Fame on this thread before, but the series is so wonderful that I must write about it again.

Have you ever watched Project Fame? Well, you can easily understand Fame if you’ve watched Project Fame (I have a feeling that the basic idea for Project Fame was gotten from Fame). The movie and TV series are about a secondary school for the performing arts. It’s based in New York and the students learn how to play musical instruments, how to sing, how to dance (both classical and contemporary), etc.

My favourite characters were the characters from the movie and the beginning of the TV show (Leroy, Coco and Bruno) and of course my favourite teacher was Mr Shorovsky, but there were also many famous people that acted in the series.

Debbie Allen (who produced many very popular situation comedies in the 1980s, 90s and 2000s, like Different World and Cosby Show) was a teacher on the show and Janet Jackson and Jimmy Osmond were students. Jimmy was a student for one semester in the early part of the series, while Janet was a student years later. Fame was shown in the US from 1982-1987 and it was shown by Lagos Television from 1982-1989 and occasionally from 1989-1991. Here is one of Jimmy’s performances on the show.

(This clip begins with the world famous theme song, but it’s sung by the students rather than Irene Cara and then we go straight to Jimmy’s performance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGW1OeuMhg

In the 1980s Donny & Marie and Jimmy became more famous than the Osmonds.

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by GorillaApp(m): 5:12pm On Nov 26, 2022
[quote author=naptu2 post=118703146][/quote]

Oh I remember this song!
Wow.

The name didn't ring a bell but I was sure I will recognise one of her song.
Actually remembered watching this particular track on Delta Rainbow Television, warri.
Wow we don old.
This is the naptu I appreciate, not the political one grin
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 26, 2022
madjune:
Indomie generation won't know her. Ever.

Even 90s kids won't.

She was huge back in the early 80s.

TV stations aired her songs regularly.

She was quite pretty on screen and in the song craft.

Very well in the league of Michael Jackson then.

A 1990's kid might know her..just might.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by GorillaApp(m): 5:14pm On Nov 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Don't knock yourself about that...she was popular in the early 1980's..very early 1980's. Only person that was born before 1986 may know who she is. Fame and Flashdance..what a feeling were her two hit songs.

The fame really didn't ring a bell. It was the second song I remembered watching a lot as a kid

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Nobody: 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2022
GorillaApp:

The fame really didn't ring a bell. It was the second song I remembered watching a lot as a kid

Fame is a very old song. (came out in 1980). Unless you grew up in the 1970's and 80's, or you are into 1980's music, you won't know it.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Richwallet: 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2022
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
— 2 Timothy 4:3,4

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by naptu2: 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2022
dyera:
Her family must be in shock right now.

You did not state the cause of the death, whether it was sickness, suicide, murder or accident.

This (what is below) was stated in the article in the first post.

https://twitter.com/Irene_Cara/status/1596392865948499968

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Bahamas95(m): 5:33pm On Nov 26, 2022
madjune:
Indomie generation won't know her. Ever.

Even 90s kids won't.

She was huge back in the early 80s.

TV stations aired her songs regularly.

She was quite pretty on screen and in the song craft.

Very well in the league of Michael Jackson then.
Ancestor weldone sir!

For your mind you be senior man, when you don reach 90yrs you go later dey claim to be 70. grin
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Memphis357(m): 5:33pm On Nov 26, 2022
Rest In Peace, Irene.
Your song "What A Feeling" made a strong impact in my life while growing up.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by kizxaxa: 5:34pm On Nov 26, 2022
I know the songs but not the singer,
Many of us millennials know the songs, but not her. Gen z won't know her or the songs at all.
Rip Irene Cara.

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Confirm4real(m): 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2022
Death is inevitable...RIP!

Have you ever seen any date of birth starting from 18...still living? they've all gone.

You will only see 19...

Let's make our ways right.

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by meobizy(f): 5:39pm On Nov 26, 2022
No idea who she is.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by byinks(f): 5:41pm On Nov 26, 2022
I saw that video about 2000 times ....it's a classic 80s dance video.

Rip dear Irene Cara

2 Likes

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by emmy512: 5:41pm On Nov 26, 2022
I'm gonna live forever....
My elder sister no d gree me rest with that show

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by greypencils: 5:41pm On Nov 26, 2022
80's kids get in here and only the privileged few who knew the song 'fame'.
RIP Irene Cara. You were a big part of my childhood.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Brownshoe: 5:43pm On Nov 26, 2022
So u guys up there were born before 85, hmm yinmu
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by grandstar(m): 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2022
Bahamas95:
What a beauty.

RIP pretty woman.

MODIFIED

I just played the video now, it took me back to my childhood. I remembered the soundtracks of the American movies I watched back then.

If you are Gen X, those born between 1965- 1980, you will remember the song and movie.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by VEHINTOLAR: 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2022
May her soul rest in peace. She was a very good singer,actress and a very beautiful woman as well.

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by friendl: 5:49pm On Nov 26, 2022
Nice music
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by madjune(m): 5:56pm On Nov 26, 2022
Bahamas95:
Ancestor weldone sir!

For your mind you be senior man, when you don reach 90yrs you go later dey claim to be 70. grin

Abeg, wetin I do you?

No be me create APC.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by penearth(m): 5:57pm On Nov 26, 2022
Rest well darling
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Nmezor(f): 5:58pm On Nov 26, 2022
May her soul rest on . Amen

1 Like

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by sharone21(f): 6:04pm On Nov 26, 2022
Bahamas95:
What a beauty.

RIP pretty woman.

MODIFIED

I just played the video now, it took me back to my childhood. I remembered the soundtracks of the American movies I watched back then.

Na our Van Damme come be this one?... Ageing...Hmmm
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Burruchaga71(m): 6:18pm On Nov 26, 2022
[quote author=naptu2 post=118703146][/quote] I love this song no be small..
Rip irene!!
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Cantonese: 6:29pm On Nov 26, 2022
naptu2:

You no be pikin of yesterday.
Life was sweeter then. Very easy, with plenty of trust and plenty of enjoyment.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Kobicove(m): 6:33pm On Nov 26, 2022
I remember watching the show Fame when I was a boy in the 1980s grin
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by MrPRevailer(m): 6:44pm On Nov 26, 2022

Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by Steep(m): 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2022
Psalms 103:15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.

103:16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Re: Irene Cara Dies Aged 63 by GorillaApp(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Fame is a very old song. (came out in 1980). Unless you grew up in the 1970's and 80's, or you are into 1980's music, you won't know it.

I may have heard but it didn't register. I remembered the other song better

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBNaija: Bassey & YAW Flaunt Their Packs At Wazobia FM (Photos) / Denrele Pulls His Trouser Down In Crazy Pose With Keke Napep (Photo) / Susan: Davido Insists On Suing Ladies Who accused him of Impregnating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.