Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,517 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code (4081 Views)

Did You Really Code 5hours+ Non Stop While Learning To Code? / Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! / Teach Yourself To Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Fapemz: 7:07am On Dec 10, 2022
Johnchrix:

Baba how much I fit setup that kind of your solar

We have something that suit you more
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Fapemz: 7:10am On Dec 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The Solar na scam o. My laptop has a GPU so it draws a ton of power. On continuous usage I get 6 hours of use before it dies and I have to use generator. I got it for 250k sha

What is the size of your battery? With solar and battery you should be able to work for more than 6hours. Get in touch and me guide you through

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:22am On Dec 10, 2022
Fapemz:

What is the size of your battery? With solar and battery you should be able to work for more than 6hours. Get in touch and me guide you through
Laptops power draw is around 500 watts.
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by qtguru(m): 7:49am On Dec 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I use Inverter, 3 months of not using Gen, inverter na life saver.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by pocohantas(f): 8:40am On Dec 10, 2022
qtguru:
I have been there, there was a time, I had a laptop and it will go off the moment NEPA Struck

This is the advice that I can think of, getting Tech jobs are hard because you need to prove yourself, most companies want devs that can take on jobs with minimal training, and it's not the basic design of static sites, it's understanding JS and building applications at least.

The easiest way is freelance, a job is harder to get than freelance, I do Chrome Extension and it's actually easy than building a React Application, that's a niche to try, if not find non-tech gigs like WordPress Content manager.

As for power, that one is a difficult one.

If someone advises you, people, you people reply with insults, which is another reason, a referral is hard on this section, how can I refer a dev that insults people for no reason?

Ciao

Hahahahahaha! Not just the section but Nairaland generally.

1 Like

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by GloriousGbola: 8:48am On Dec 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

The Solar na scam o. My laptop has a GPU so it draws a ton of power. On continuous usage I get 6 hours of use before it dies and I have to use generator. I got it for 250k sha

Small small pipu eye dey open.
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Fapemz: 9:33am On Dec 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Pls share model and spec let me confirm. That is way too much and i doubt if you can get 6hrs for a 500watt load on a 250k inverter setup. It is not adding up
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:48am On Dec 10, 2022
Fapemz:

Pls share model and spec let me confirm. That is way too much and i doubt if you can get 6hrs for a 500watt load on a 250k inverter setup. It is not adding up

This is my laptop here but with the 10th gen processor.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GF65-Thin-9SX/Specification

It's 180 watts. The guy who installed came and checked it and said it was 500 and recommended a battery and inverter set to match it. The only thing used with it is an external monitor. No fan or light. During that normal usage the GPU isn't on but it still draws if I start using any application that drags in power from the GPU the stuff will only be on for one hour max. The laptop battery isn't that great. Last like an hour before it dies.
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:49am On Dec 10, 2022
GloriousGbola:

Small small pipu eye dey open.

It's only great if you are using very less powerful devices. Maybe a 65 watts laptop. If it's struggling to power my rtx 2060. I wonder if it will even power a laptops rtx 3080. I don't even wanna talk of a desktop graphics card as those ones are much more power hungry
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Tallesty1(m): 9:50am On Dec 10, 2022
Sheriman:

Tech influencers are on Twitter shouting to people to learn tech but did not truthfully tell people all what it takes to survive in this long tech journey and everything behind the scene.
This tech is not about having a laptop, you need money to keep it going, you need quiet office space without noise, you need constant electricity, you need food, you need data. If all these are not adequately meet you will frustrated and demovated to keep it going.
This is one of the things nobody will tell you. Starting anything that will bring in money requires money, maybe not huge but you sure do need money. I started learning programming during the most difficult time in my life as an adult, and nobody told me it was this expensive. So far, I have been able to get an office in Maitama but 2k tfare everyday is not easy. The advantage there is that I have access to stable electricity, the place is virtually noiseless and I am sharing the space with two senior men so I get most tutorial videos free of charge. All I need do is ask but still it is not easy.

To give it the required time and attention means you won't be able to have another side hustle so how will foot your bill?

3 Likes

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Sheriman(m): 10:44am On Dec 10, 2022
Tallesty1:
This is one of the things nobody will tell you. Starting anything that will bring in money requires money, maybe not huge but you sure do need money. I started learning programming during the most difficult time in my life as an adult, and nobody told me it was this expensive. So far, I have been able to get an office in Maitama but 2k tfare everyday is not easy. The advantage there is that I have access to stable electricity, the place is virtually noiseless and I am sharing the space with two senior men so I get most tutorial videos free of charge. All I need do is ask but still it is not easy.

To give it the required time and attention means you won't be able to have another side hustle so how will foot your bill?

Footing your bill is the most challenging part of it. It difficult. Tech in Nigeria is difficult. Go to Twitter and see how people are complaining about their tech journey. I think those who enjoy this tech are children coming from middleclass or rich family. E no easy ooo
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by specialofficer: 1:15pm On Dec 10, 2022
qtguru:

I use Inverter, 3 months of not using Gen, inverter na life saver.
inverter is the best until the battery get spoilt, inverter battery life span is 2 years, my battery just started having issues, engineer came and told us we'll have to get new batteries, 195k each. I'm pained though I'm not the one paying for it
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by qtguru(m): 1:24pm On Dec 10, 2022
specialofficer:
inverter is the best until the battery get spoilt, inverter battery life span is 2 years, my battery just started having issues, engineer came and told us we'll have to get new batteries, 195k each. I'm pained though I'm not the one paying for it

I'm using the Water battery, so all you need is to refill it than buying a new battery. But I'm a novice when it comes to these things so I might be wrong. Or are Water batteries different ?
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by specialofficer: 1:35pm On Dec 10, 2022
qtguru:

I'm using the Water battery, so all you need is to refill it than buying a new battery. But I'm a novice when it comes to these things so I might be wrong. Or are Water batteries different ?
I've never heard of watery battery inverter before , I don't even know how it looks like but that watery one might be good, mine just need light of generator to charge, it'll take like 4 hours to be fully charged and once it's fully charged it can last for 18 hours before it runs down but before then NEPA will surely bring light or we'll on gen. Below is a pics of the inverter

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Fapemz: 1:45pm On Dec 10, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

It's 180 watts. The guy who installed came and checked it and said it was 500 and recommended a battery and inverter set to match it. The only thing used with it is an external monitor. No fan or light. During that normal usage the GPU isn't on but it still draws if I start using any application that drags in power from the GPU the stuff will only be on for one hour max. The laptop battery isn't that great. Last like an hour before it dies.

Consider removing the laptop before and run the laptop directly on the inverter. In my setup i use a laptop adapter that convert 12v to 19v and that saves alot of power and hence battery last longer
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by qtguru(m): 1:51pm On Dec 10, 2022
specialofficer:
I've never heard of watery battery inverter before , I don't even know how it looks like but that watery one might be good, mine just need light of generator to charge, it'll take like 4 hours to be fully charged and once it's fully charged it can last for 18 hours before it runs down but before then NEPA will surely bring light or we'll on gen. Below is a pics of the inverter

This one

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by airsaylongcome: 7:15am On Dec 11, 2022
specialofficer:

195k for batteries? What brand?

And no, batteries should last way more than two years. 4 years at least. The problem is many people are reckless with their batteries and know nothing about battery management
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by qtguru(m): 8:43am On Dec 11, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I learnt the hard way, it's why I sold my gaming laptop and stuck to Lenovo. Those GPU eat power and consume battery. Lenovo has mad battery life

1 Like

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:45am On Dec 11, 2022
qtguru:

I learnt the hard way, it's why I sold my gaming laptop and stuck to Lenovo. Those GPU eat power and consume battery. Lenovo has mad battery life

Yeah looking back I regret getting a gaming laptop due to the bad battery life and I rarely play games sef. I could have just gotten a MacBook
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by pocohantas(f): 9:01am On Dec 11, 2022
qtguru:

I can attest to this. Not the sleekest, but the battery life is GOOD.

2 Likes

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Ajibade123(m): 11:05pm On Dec 11, 2022
qtguru:

Do you think Lenovo is better than HP and dell?
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by qtguru(m): 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2022
Ajibade123:

They are not sexy but they will do the job, and also last longer
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by QuoteJustOnce: 5:14pm On Dec 12, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

And how is it a scam. You get what you pay for. You paid 250k,
Have you seen the sterling bank headquarters that was practically covered with solar panels, you bet it aint 250k, yes?
would it also perform like yours? my setup runs round the clock on full load (family of 6)
mentioning the price is inconsequential but you get the idea

1 Like

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:21pm On Dec 12, 2022
QuoteJustOnce:

And how is it a scam. You get what you pay for. You paid 250k,
Have you seen the sterling bank headquarters that was practically covered with solar panels, you bet it aint 250k, yes?
would it also perform like yours? my setup runs round the clock on full load (family of 6)
mentioning the price is inconsequential but you get the idea

True that sha.
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Ajibade123(m): 5:56pm On Dec 12, 2022
qtguru:

They are not sexy but they will do the job, and also last longer
OK boss
Is there any advantage HP has over Lenovo when it comes to core programming
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by yinkbell: 7:15pm On Dec 12, 2022
TastyFriedPussy:
Person go suffer to see money to buy laptop
still suffer to see money buy course
still suffer to see money take buy data to dey watch and follow the course(if you no see money, inconsistency go come dey set in)
This life just tire me

I Honestly,honestly,regret being born into this continent...
God dey....

The other time, you showed us your broken safe with alot of cash(100k).
You got your Laptop and you were highly motivated to start your programming journey. What happened to the source of income where you get the savings?
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by GloriousGbola: 7:24pm On Dec 12, 2022
Ajibade123:

All of them have consumer class, enthusiast, business class and workstation class machines.

You first have to be comparing like for like.
If you can get a business class machine of any of the three you will have a much better experience than a consumer class device.

I have used thinkpads and latitudes (both business class devices). I am more inclined towards thinkpads but it may be more sentiment than anything else.

Once your laptop does not have a gpu, you should usually get fair battery life. Note however that running on battery may impact your work

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by qtguru(m): 7:35pm On Dec 12, 2022
Ajibade123:

OK boss

No advantage
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by GloriousGbola: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2022
Ajibade123:

OK boss

In a reasonably perfect world, you want a device with a 500gb or larger ssd, core i7, 16gb ram and a 14 or 15 inch 1080p monitor. Win 10 Pro preferable but win home can still work

Edit I am assuming you are buying used and older

From 10th gen or so all Intel cpus are 4 cores or more and have much better performance.

But 6th/7th gen or older, please stick to i7. I5 is 2 core and meh

You can also go for a device with a gpu one of those nvidia mx, very low powered, light gaming low power (they are really 30 series)

Business class because those are designed to be easy to open up and maintain. In case you want to increase ram, change ssd, clean fan, that sort of thing

Where thinkpads win is they have very very good Linux support ootb
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Ajibade123(m): 10:56pm On Dec 12, 2022
qtguru:

No advantage
Thanks a lot
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by Ajibade123(m): 10:57pm On Dec 12, 2022
GloriousGbola:

In a reasonably perfect world, you want a device with a 500gb or larger ssd, core i7, 16gb ram and a 14 or 15 inch 1080p monitor. Win 10 Pro preferable but win home can still work

Edit I am assuming you are buying used and older

From 10th gen or so all Intel cpus are 4 cores or more and have much better performance.

But 6th/7th gen or older, please stick to i7. I5 is 2 core and meh

You can also go for a device with a gpu one of those nvidia mx, very low powered, light gaming low power (they are really 30 series)

Business class because those are designed to be easy to open up and maintain. In case you want to increase ram, change ssd, clean fan, that sort of thing

Where thinkpads win is they have very very good Linux support ootb
I7s are quite expensive
I5 is the budget
Re: Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code by GloriousGbola: 6:12am On Dec 13, 2022
Ajibade123:

I7s are quite expensive
I5 is the budget

As long as your are getting a fairly recent i5 device with 4 cores, you should be fine. I had a t460 with an i5 and the device was... Sticky. With 16gb and an ssd. Got a T460p with an i7 and the stickiness is gone.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Results For Programming Challenge For Beginners / Job Offer Available With Reasonable Pay / I Will Teach You Python

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.