Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (28932 Views)

Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / Second Term Begins: Did You Do This While In Primary Or Secondary School? / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by gaddafe(m): 5:52am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. What happens if I’m not Yoruba and we happen to live in Ile Ife and I have no desire for my child to learn Yoruba. Will the school teach my child in his own mother tongue too? The dominant language spoken in the community doesn’t make it my mother tongue

Oga what the FG has done is what is obtainable in every developed country elsewhere. If you are a Yoruba man and you school in Malaysia, you will be taught Malay. The government of Malaysia have no business teaching you Yoruba.
In the same vain if you are in Ile Ife, whether you are Yoruba or not, you will be taught in Yoruba. This applies everywhere in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Babinski: 5:54am On Dec 01, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:

I completely agree.

The best thing is that the policy is based on emperical evidence. A study done in Ile Ife some years ago proved that students taught in Yoruba performed better than those taught in English language. Another thing is that this policy has helped nations like India greatly.

In few years, it will be extended to SSS3.

God bless Nigeria!

India has a single language (Hindi) that cuts across and is their second official language with English. Nigeria does not have such. Trying to restrict to three major languages of Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo is already a problem not to talk of when other languages are considered. The comparison to India isn't exactly proper.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Armaggedon: 5:57am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

If your relocate to Italy today,tell the Italians that your child must be taught in his mother tongue not Italian language.
Italian is italy's mother tongue and that is what they speak. You cannot force any one to learn another mother tongue in his own country. If you want to do that, have your own country!
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by johnfem321: 5:58am On Dec 01, 2022
Do understand that English is Not our language and it can never be. English belongs to White people from England, USA Canada etc.. We are african and have our on tribe/ language here in Nigeria.. A Yoruba man can never become an English man, or Irish or welsh.. Same as an English man can never be a Yoruba man.. All other developed and advanced country use their own language to teach, communicate and as an official language.( such as Germany, Japan, china, etc) It’s still a form of colonisation to be using your colonial masters language.. I hope the policy will be extended towards secondary and tertiary institutions as well as work place.. it will be great for our country..
yemmit90:
To me, this is not a good policy. A kid will perfectly understand his/her mother tongue language as long as the parent spoke it at home.

English is our official language, failure to introduce it early in the life of young kids will only make them lag behind in future. How do you expect such children to compete with other kids in national and international competitions.

This is a backward educational policy, and I am sure it is because of the North.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by dododawa1: 6:01am On Dec 01, 2022
Cantonese:
Imagine teaching English in your mother tongue.

Imagine teaching English in some mother tongues, wey I no go mention their names. What about mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics?

Imagine teaching law in the mother language.

Some languages must not dare, otherwise everywhere go scatter!

If you are not taught English, imagine how it would be at the markets, or in public places. Imagine how you go take toast woman for road. As you are speaking your own, she dey speak her own with hand sign to respond.
kID found
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 6:03am On Dec 01, 2022
gaddafe:

Oga what the FG has done is what is obtainable in every developed country elsewhere. If you are a Yoruba man and you school in Malaysia, you will be taught Malay. The government of Malaysia have no business teaching you Yoruba.
In the same vain if you are in Ile Ife, whether you are Yoruba or not, you will be taught in Yoruba. This applies everywhere in Nigeria

Lol. It doesn’t make any sense.

Malay is the official language in Malaysia. It makes sense to learn Malay in Malaysia. English is the official language in Nigeria. Make Hausa the official language in Nigeria and we’ll all learn Hausa.

You can’t tell me to learn a language because it’s someone else’s mother tongue. If that language is the official language used by the government and other institutions, then it makes sense to learn it.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Lifestone(m): 6:04am On Dec 01, 2022
Peterobi90:
Dumb policy honestly..... has he been to majority of public primary schools, do they look like English is even being practised there, its sad the little encouragement is about to be wiped off with a pronounced law..

Bro this is the best policy any government have made since independence. Implementation will get easier as the program matures. Russia, China etc don't teach in English but they are educated. I would have been a genius if I was taught in my mother tongue
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by pongwa(m): 6:05am On Dec 01, 2022
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by seunayantokun(m): 6:11am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

Hausa is the dominant language in Plateau State if you don't know.
The Lantang, the Fulani, the Hausa, etc should decide, please.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 6:14am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

How cone the Chinese,Germans,Japanese are not lagging behind in the International scene?
If Nigerians compete on International scene,they can use an interpreter like other countries do.
A truly free people will be proud of their language not the feeling fly with a colonisers language.

A Swedish official once told the best gift you can give your child is teach them your mother tongue not a foreign Language.

Sweden has a population of 10 million,language spoken are Swedish,Yiddish,Sami,Romani chib.Engkish is the second language but it is not compulsory.Some Swedes learn French,Spanish ,German in place of English.

Swedish as the language of the majority is spoken in all schools from primary to University levels.English courses are offered to foreign students.

Funny enough their English is better than Nigerian English because they employ Americans,British etc and qualified Swedes to teach English

By citing those examples, it is obvious you don't consider "multi- ethnics" nature of Nigeria.

About 90% of those countries you mentioned spoke common languages or have almost 100% common social life and cultural values. The same can't be say about Nigeria. Besides, there is different between formal and informal education. A wise parent or society teaches their citizens informal education in their mother tongue, while former learning can be carry out in various capacities depending on acceptable standard.

And contrary to your opinion, Chinese, Germans, Indians and other non speaking English countries are not better than well fluent English speakers in Nigeria let alone those staying abroad. Kids of these days are very fluent in English because we introduced it to them early especially pupils in private primary schools.

Mother tongue as teaching instruction can only work effectively in a Mono- ethnic nation.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by jydeskill1(m): 6:15am On Dec 01, 2022
nony43:
It is a very good policy , but then some pupils in some regions might have a struggle in learning English later.
Indians, Chinese and Lebanese struggle to speak English but are far better in social development and technology advancement.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by cocolacec(m): 6:15am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Nobody cares what Nigeria is. You don’t teach my child a regional language when the official language is something else. In Germany, their official language is German. In Nigeria, the official language is English, not Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. So why teach my child? If the official language was the same as the mother tongue being taught, then you’ll have a point. I’d rather my child learn the official language that’s being taught nationally than learn a regional language that’s not mine.

Additionally, you are talking as if it isn’t Nigeria, where people move frequently. Imagine I live in the west, and I have a child who has been taught with Yoruba up to primary 3 level, then we move to the north where the language of instruction is Hausa and my child has to begin primary 4 learning in Hausa. How do you expect such child to cope?

Or imagine a state with multiple tribes are native to the state, so if I move from one city to another in the same state, I’ll be forced to learn all the languages because that’s the language of instruction in school?
The policy will curb unregulated family migration.Nigeria is a country of many nations and it is on a return to Regional government.If you don't want your child to learn another Regional language then stay put in your region.There is no going back on this policy.
A major policy change will happen between 2023-2027.

3 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Neoteny7: 6:15am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.

Read again.

The mother tongue is the dominant language spoken in the region.

Why would you assume yoruba will be the mother tongue in the north?

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Mrmb: 6:16am On Dec 01, 2022
ZKOSOSO:
That's not the meaning of Mother tonight. Hope that are trying to send Hausafulanikanuri teachers to the whole country o

I think English is difficult for you to understand or you are just purposely being mischievous. He said the mother tongue will be the dominant language spoken in the area the school is located. So an Hausa kid schooling in Lagos will be taught in Yoruba language simple a A B C

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BigBashiru: 6:18am On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

Lol. You can’t rewrite history. There are native Canadians and Americans whose native language isn’t English. Today these countries are what people call English Speaking Countries. People in Quebec still speak French because France colonized that region. Ya’ll keep fighting what’s not fighting you. It’s not anybody’s fault people can’t communicate with their mother tongue. Teach people their mother tongue, don’t make it the main language of instruction in schools when the official language is English. It doesn’t make sense and never will.

Alternatively, let the entire country adopt one local language as the official language and make that the language of instruction in schools.

Thanks for your write up and the perspective. Those natives you mention are still fighting for their rights to be recognized and for their language to be recognized. To think that britain a notorious colonizer is always pretending to be in nigeria as a civilized big brother championing democracy is concerning. The western european is a savage in need of native american and african civilization.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Hotice085: 6:19am On Dec 01, 2022
Dshocker:
Am from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), my problem now is; who will teach me Swahili language in school¿

A DRC man speaking Swahili? You are lost
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by CaptainFM1: 6:20am On Dec 01, 2022
The policy is total rubbish capable of further dividing the country.

If you want to preserve the culture and languages, the 3 main languages as a subject is sufficient. No need to use them to teach Chemistry or Accounting!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 6:20am On Dec 01, 2022
johnfem321:
Do understand that English is Not our language and it can never be. English belongs to White people from England, USA Canada etc.. We are african and have our on tribe/ language here in Nigeria.. A Yoruba man can never become an English man, or Irish or welsh.. Same as an English man can never be a Yoruba man.. All other developed and advanced country use their own language to teach, communicate and as an official language.( such as Germany, Japan, china, etc) It’s still a form of colonisation to be using your colonial masters language.. I hope the policy will be extended towards secondary and tertiary institutions as well as work place.. it will be great for our country..

You can't be easily co- existence as multi- ethnic country without using as official language. This is where the idea of using English emanating from.

How would you communicate with Effik, Kanuri, Igbo, Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba and many others at the same time?

Hope you get the logic now sir.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by DLuciano: 6:21am On Dec 01, 2022
immortalcrown:
Instructional material and qualified teachers were never the problem. I don't know what the man means in his reference to these two factors.

Good. The problem is, how will the government ensure a child from tribe A living in tribe B gets proper lesson on tribe A language? For example, a Yoruba kid in the North learns Yoruba language properly in the North.
they are all confused people, they don begin craze
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by tete7000(m): 6:21am On Dec 01, 2022
These confused people have come again. You teach a child in local language for six years of his/her developmental years, and then continues with English while in secondary school. If you wan use English, use English; if na local language you wan use, use am.

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Hotice085: 6:22am On Dec 01, 2022
Mrmb:

I think English is difficult for you to understand or you are just purposely being mischievous. He said the mother tongue will be the dominant language spoken in the area the school is located. So an Hausa kid schooling in Lagos will be taught in Yoruba language simple a A B C

The English is too difficult for him
ZKOSOSO you should have been taught in your mother tongue

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by tete7000(m): 6:23am On Dec 01, 2022
These confused people have come again. You teach a child in local language for six years of his/her developmental years, and then continues with English while in secondary school. If you wan use English, use English; if na local language you wan use, use am. Why start with one and end with another?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by infinitemiles: 6:23am On Dec 01, 2022
Nice development. I will know which tribe you came from by just hearing speak without forming asent.

I am tracking the crypto market on
CoinMarketCap. Click on my referral link to sign up and get rewarded when you accumulate 100 diamonds. https://coinmarketcap.com/invite?ref=95F6FS8H
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Bobbiee: 6:25am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

Language of the host community will be the norm. Abuja will be Hausa,Lagos -Yoruba Language,Port Harcourt Ikwerre/Igbo/Ijaw.They can decide to follow the regional govt route of the 60's.
The Governors of the respective states will decide in the zones with different languages.

Abuja should be Gwari as that's the original people that lived there.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 6:29am On Dec 01, 2022
cocolacec:

The policy will curb unregulated family migration.Nigeria is a country of many nations and it is on a return to Regional government.If you don't want your child to learn another Regional language then stay put in your region.There is no going back on this policy.
A major policy change will happen between 2023-2027.
Is Nigeria the only country of many nations? How do you acknowledge Nigeria is a country of many nations and yet do not want to let the nations independent. My point still remains, you can’t say Nigeria’s official language is English and still force my child to learn a regional language that’s irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If I learn Yoruba because I live in the west, I’ll still need English to communicate with someone who lives the North or East. If Yoruba is the official language, then we’ll learn it because the man from the North, East or South will have to learn the official language.

English is the official language. If an indigenous language was the official one, that’s when it makes sense to use it as means of instruction. I’d rather my child learn the official language rather than a regional one because a government official felt that’s the right thing to do.

Return to regional government has nothing to do with using local language as main method of instruction. What happens to the region where they have multiple languages? Broken into small regions?

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Slurity(m): 6:29am On Dec 01, 2022
ZKOSOSO:
That's not the meaning of Mother tonight. Hope that are trying to send Hausafulanikanuri teachers to the whole country o
What is really the problem of people like you self? Everything done by people that is from your side is made for YOU to find a way to criticise, condemn or raise alarm on. There is no time to say nice things at all. Why are you like this?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by miketayo(m): 6:31am On Dec 01, 2022
Cantonese:
Imagine teaching English in your mother tongue.

Imagine teaching English in some mother tongues, wey I no go mention their names. What about mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics?

Imagine teaching law in the mother language.

Some languages must not dare, otherwise everywhere go scatter!

If you are not taught English, imagine how it would be at the markets, or in public places. Imagine how you go take toast woman for road. As you are speaking your own, she dey speak her own with hand sign to respond.

Primary schools don't take the subjects you mentioned
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Gandrova: 6:32am On Dec 01, 2022
NimrodEndOfDays:
Aboki don come with rubbish policy grin
Slavery mentality

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Patriotsleague: 6:33am On Dec 01, 2022
Very good, this will help our kids with culture and discipline. We must look inwards.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 01, 2022
BigBashiru:

Thanks for your write up and the perspective. Those natives you mention are still fighting for their rights to be recognized and for their language to be recognized. To think that britain a notorious colonizer is always pretending to be in nigeria as a civilized big brother championing democracy is concerning. The western european is a savage in need of native american and african civilization.

Different from what I am saying. My point is, the main method of instruction in schools should be the county’s official language. Not a regional language. If we so hate the colonizers, then ditch their language and make yours the official language but we can’t because there are several tribes in the country. Compelling people learn a regional language when the official or national language is something else doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Hotice085: 6:34am On Dec 01, 2022
yemmit90:

You can't be easily co- existence as multi- ethnic country without using as official language. This is where the idea of using English emanating from.

How would you communicate with Effik, Kanuri, Igbo, Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba and many others at the same time?

Hope you get the logic now sir.

The colonial lumped us together and forced English on us, but if you go over to Europe you will hardly get to see a nation with more than 3 languages and if you see the language of communication in any community is the immediate mother tongue of such community

English can be use as must for federal service while each state can make it optional

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

JAMB Gets 7-days Ultimatum To Release Scripts For Remarking or face the court. / UNILAG's Ayodele Dada About To Be Evicted From His Home Over Rent / ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.