Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,330 members, 7,819,132 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? (8393 Views)

Poll: As A Parent Will You?

Yes: 21% (13 votes)
No: 78% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by LoveKing(m): 12:01pm On Aug 29, 2011
@Sagamite

You are too violent to be alive.

@semid4lyfe

your aproko too much!
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by LoveKing(m): 12:09pm On Aug 29, 2011
Out of those votes saying yes maybe all are just pure hypocrites. I bribed some courses when i was in the university, then i had it tough. I got ill, missed school for one year, had a backlog of carry overs and tell me, do you think this fugging university systems cares about what you'll become? hell no!
How do you think i can handle 20something courses as carry overs after recovery and in my final year? Oh yeah, i paid someone to write all the courses. at the end i got want i wanted, B.eng and moving on to greater things. I got the finance from my Parents, so do you think they will just stand there and watch my life waste away? As a man, time is not on my side, you need to get things done and move on, shove those hypocritical talks aside as if na you holy pass. @Sagamite. Bet you never lived life on the fast lane, you be ajebor pikin shey? born with a silver spoon? or i bet you are not even a nigerian living in nigeria? right?
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 12:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
LoveKing:

@Sagamite

You are too violent to be alive.

No. I just believe in eugenics when the situation is this bad we are producing people like you.

LoveKing:

Out of those votes saying yes maybe all are just pure hypocrites. I bribed some courses when i was in the university, then i had it tough. I got ill, missed school for one year, had a backlog of carry overs and tell me, do you think this fugging university systems cares about what you'll become? hell no!
How do you think i can handle 20something courses as carry overs after recovery and in my final year? Oh yeah, i paid someone to write all the courses. at the end i got want i wanted, B.eng and moving on to greater things. I got the finance from my Parents, so do you think they will just stand there and watch my life waste away? As a man, time is not on my side, you need to get things done and move on, shove those hypocritical talks aside as if na you holy pass. @Sagamite. Bet you never lived life on the fast lane, you be ajebor pikin shey? born with a silver spoon? or i bet you are not even a nigerian living in nigeria? right?

No.

I am from an average Nigerian family.

The only difference between you and me is that I have my head screwed on and I am nowhere near you moral decadence.

My intellect tells me we need to get rid of cretins like you with a BEng before you build something that kills an innocent person with your quack structures.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by LoveKing(m): 12:42pm On Aug 29, 2011
you believe in eugenics? how horrible. the spirit of hitler lives in you, evil man.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 29, 2011
Oga ooooo
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2011
@ all Abeg wat if d CHILD continue to fail only one particular subject i.e. MATHEmatics. And he/she has sat 4 d exams like 5 times. Take for example:- ENGLISH:-B3
*MATHS*E8
CHEMISTRY:-C4
BIOLOGY:-C6
PHYSICS:-C4
AGRIC:-A1
GEOGRAPHY:-B3
YORUBA:-B2
ECONOMICS:-C5
And dsame tin happen like 4-5yrs CONSECUTIVELY, Won't u help such a STUDENT in dat MATHEMATICAL aspect or is d student not trying all his BEST?
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by premechaz: 3:14pm On Aug 29, 2011
Walkopet:

@ all Abeg wat if d CHILD continue to fail only one particular subject i.e. MATHEmatics. And he/she has sat 4 d exams like 5 times. Take for example:- ENGLISH:-B3
*MATHS*E8
And dsame tin happen like 4-5yrs CONSECUTIVELY, Won't u help such a STUDENT in dat MATHEMATICAL aspect or is d student not trying all his BEST?

If you fail the same subject for 4-5 years, then it is time to go see a babalawo. or you could take your A1 in Agric and go farm. Options baby, not all that doom. Maybe school is not just your thing. Not everyone is as blessed academically as yours truly.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by 2mch(m): 4:11pm On Aug 29, 2011
Walkopet:

*MATHS*E8
premechaz:

If you fail the same subject for 4-5 years, then it is time to go see a babalawo. or you could take your A1 in Agric and go farm. Options baby, not all that doom. Maybe school is not just your thing. Not everyone is as blessed as ours truly.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. Maybe he should look at the subject the child is most brilliant in and encourage the child to pursue that field. It appears in this report card na farmer favor the pickin pass. Nothing wrong with farming, people are multi millionaires from farming. Instead of wasting time being a marketer at a bank, your son could have been an industrious farmer, employing many Nigerians.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by passyjango(m): 4:13pm On Aug 29, 2011
If your child failed Maths or some other subject for 4 or 5 times it is your fault and the solution is not bribery. The first time that the child fails, you should investigate and find out why and take remedial measures. Our problem is that most of us lack analytical skills, when things happen, instead of us to calm down and analyse properly we choose to panic and expose ourselves to corrupt tendencies.

We blame JAMB, WAEC, NECO, Govt, teachers, every-other person but ourselves. The bad news is that when you blame others for your misfortunes, you are enslaving yourself. Take responsibility for your failures and the failings in your society and you will empower yourself to solving them.

When a child fails a subject, it could be because of a shaky foundation. The solution is not to continue building on the shaky foundation, but to strengthen the foundation first. For example, a kid may be in SS3, but knows very little of SS1 and SS2 maths. How do you expect him to pass WAEC with such a hollow foundation in maths? The solution is to get a private teacher and instruct the teacher to start from JS3 maths up to SS3.

If you do not have money for a private tutor, buy maths textbooks for the child from JS3 to SS3 and encourage him/her to read it. Make sure he/she solves the exercises. Maths is best learnt by solving problems. Forget about lessons, it will not work for such a child. Bribery is never a solution.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by 2mch(m): 4:17pm On Aug 29, 2011
Well i will not bribe for my child to pass an exam BUT, i will most likely bribe to have the score released or to have my child placed in his right department. These Nigerian institutions are crazy, they can frustrate brilliant kids who do not have the money but have worked hard to pass their exams and deserve not to be in Yoruba department. Sometimes you need to do that little something to just push things along. I am against bribery for exams, courses or settling profs. But placement in the right department and entry into a school that he should have entered by his own ability, i will do it. undecided. Until Nigerian institutions stop placing kids in useless courses that have nothing to do with real life jobs, skills or their interests then i will stop. In Nigeria you will see and engineering graduate working in a bank. wtf undecided
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by God2man(m): 4:31pm On Aug 29, 2011
It is not an excuse to pay your way through, despite the unfavourable circumstaces, what is bad, is bad. Whatever you sow you shall reap. Many people on this forume have already built their lives on a lie, it will soon fall. Let us change. God bless you. God2man.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Outstrip(f): 5:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
Nigeria is finished
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:26pm On Aug 29, 2011
2 all d parents here who would pay,u are a disgrace 2 parenthood, Even wen I av d opportunity 2 cheat as a studnt,I dnt.Hw much more u fueling weak minds nd brains who will compete 4 slots that better brains are suppose 2 have.I assure u they must fail.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Bawss1(m): 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2011
@ Sagamite

That cultural web thing is some really interesting stuff. Thanks for bringing it up, will read all I can get about it.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by AjanleKoko: 9:37pm On Aug 29, 2011
Sagamite:

Oga, I am sure you are aware that is the result of our culture of cheating. That is why I complain when the state is cheating egregiously in age-grade football using players even the citizens know are outrageously above the age limit and we all celebrate these cheats and give them national honours.

I am not sure because of your technical background if you have ever heard of this thing call Cultural Web, but I wouldn't be surprised if you have.

The cultural web is a framework that highlights how cultures are developed and Nigeria fails in it if I applied it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_web#Factors_and_elements

[img]http://3.bp..com/-DhUdyGLnrFQ/TbG8JIMfGcI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/hw2vzwPakJA/s1600/image023.png[/img]

Our Stories and Myths are of yahoo yahoo boys and over-aged "world champions", that is what we teach people to value.

Our Symbols are of people of questionable source of wealth who possess expensive cars and houses.

Our Rituals and Routines are to do very little but expect to be rewarded BIG TIME.

Our Control Systems are incompetent or there to exploit the populace or to be exploited by the populace at the detriment of the nation.

Well, I didn't want to say it in too many words, but . . . yes, you have it right there, bang on point. And i love that analogy with the football players. That about sums it up.
Our value system stinks to high heavens. If your child can't pass exams, the mechanic workshop is right there for them. But no. From top to bottom, it's not about merit, rather it's about QUOTA. Yes, we all want to get ours, if we can, who gives a crap? That is the Naija mentality, and it is shyt.

Just think about the words NATIONAL CAKE. Every parent in Nigeria thinks that they need to hustle for their own share of whatever, rather than working to build that whatever into something greater than what it is today. Sick-azz people.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by horny4u(f): 10:31pm On Aug 29, 2011
If jamb records absent for a child that is present then we will go to Ghana or find another alternative becos ther always is, I will not bribe not because of Nigeria o  grin grin grin but becos of my child again there is no better language to communicate to a child that i donot believe in you: Infact it says catergorically to the child you are a NO GOOD and we your parents know it, and therein an abnormal unbalanced monster is created.

When i want to achieve something say a job interview and i am scared i simply close my eyes and remember how well i have done in the past and words of my parents saying you know you can do it and i go in and get it done confidently.

Again i repeat if you are sure that your kid is a nitwit no good shocked why waste your time coaching him with lancomes and NESCO text books, simply do some sara with akara elepo for onibara and use the remaining budget to bribe  o jare as for me, I cannot give birth to a nucopu nitwit afocomu omo becos me the mum my head is sparkling and i am not "prouding" o na FACT. grin

My cousin was told that if he does not improve he will have to repeat and my uncle took a week off work to coach him before the exams and he came out in flying colours, but as a busy parent i understand that not everyone can do this , so bribing may be a better option, so parolo, the only problem is that this bribed up kids become menace on the society if it was only to their family then i am all for it.

Any parent that says he or she will bribe for their child has not got 2 to rub together so , me i totally understand after all when you mate 2 race horses you will most likely get a race horse,

E sha ma ko olodo jo. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 12:46am On Aug 30, 2011
Bawss1:

@ Sagamite

That cultural web thing is some really interesting stuff. Thanks for bringing it up, will read all I can get about it.

You are welcome, bruv.

AjanleKoko:

Well, I didn't want to say it in too many words, but . . . yes, you have it right there, slam on point. And i love that analogy with the football players. That about sums it up.
Our value system stinks to high heavens. If your child can't pass exams, the mechanic workshop is right there for them. But no. From top to bottom, it's not about merit, rather it's about QUOTA. Yes, we all want to get ours, if we can, who gives a crap? That is the Naija mentality, and it is shyt.

Just think about the words NATIONAL CAKE. Every parent in Nigeria thinks that they need to hustle for their own share of whatever, rather than working to build that whatever into something greater than what it is today. Sick-azz people.

Yet our people worship and pray for those that effed up the society. Pastors bless them in churches and imams say they are "brothers and sisters" who you should not condemn.

And then we produce charlatans like LoveKing the Engineer that does not know maths. undecided
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by johnjets: 1:56am On Aug 30, 2011
once you have started doing that,be sure that it really occurs to you that you have set a ball in motion.Be sure to be paying his way through in life in all things.Pay for his way through Primary school,Secondary,WAEC,JAMB,and University.Also continue paying his way through to get a Job and be prepared to pay for his early retirement in life. I just wonder how we can really move Nigeria forward with a mentality like this'Paying bribes for our children to pass' forgetting this fact that Experince shapes our lives. I pity all those who voted yes to this post and I mercy for you the poster.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Oluschenco(m): 8:28am On Aug 30, 2011
Yes i will, if he is not the dull type.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Iranoladun(f): 12:08pm On Aug 30, 2011
This topic is an eye opener on our moral decadence as parents and as a society/nation.

I am shock to learn some parents have done this while others are boasting they would do it. Most were justifying their actions.

@post
I will never do it and cannot condone it
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by Sagamite(m): 12:23pm On Aug 30, 2011
john jets:

once you have started doing that,be sure that it really occurs to you that you have set a ball in motion.Be sure to be paying his way through in life in all things.Pay for his way through Primary school,Secondary,WAEC,JAMB,and University.Also continue paying his way through to get a Job and be prepared to pay for his early retirement in life. I just wonder how we can really move Nigeria forward with a mentality like this'Paying bribes for our children to pass' forgetting this fact that Experince shapes our lives. I pity all those who voted yes to this post and I mercy for you the poster.

That is where you need people like me. (Get the right symbol)

First step
Ensure you provide a good local system. (Correct the routines and rituals)

Second step
Anyone sabotaging the system should be fcked up with utter brutalness by making them lose their jobs and any opportunity of working in Nigeria. No "abeg sir, it is the work of the devil, it will never happen again". Fck them up without any pity.

For the ones you catch paying for exams, fck them up. That should be the end of any kind of potential professional opportunities in Nigeria. They take menial work or go to another country to restart.

This will help re-write the stories and myths of our cultural web.

Unfortunately you do not have me, you have Jonathan. A man with the IQ of a Silverback Gorilla.

Research shows people need charismatic and bashful leaders in time of crisis, like when Tatcher lead UK out of crisis. And soft leaders are better able to perform in good times.

Nigeria is in crisis and your arses voted for Jonathan because of his ethnic group, despite the options of Ribadu and Buhari. The latter 2 are more inspiring symbols than this uninspiring goon we have for the next 4 years. Ribadu was already rewriting the stories and myths when at EFCC. Buhari did it in his time with war against indiscipline.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by nsodo: 2:12pm On Aug 30, 2011
That is Impossible because it will be like digging a grave for my child since she will just go through school with out learning any thing. It is better for him/her to struggle and learn because that will make him a whole human being.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by VolvoS60(m): 6:22am On Sep 23, 2011
Can't believe I missed this thread. But I am not surprised at the responses at some of the posters.

I have always maintained that Nigerians are the architects of their own misfortune. Threads like this one prove my point beyond any doubt.
Re: Would You Pay Bribe For Your Child To Pass Exams? by beejaay: 9:31am On Oct 13, 2014
cant believe i missed this thread way back in 2011

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Home Training: Does It Still Exist? / I Ran Out Of Credit On My Prepaid Meter, Please What Do I Do? / What Sleeping With Married Men Taught Me About Infidelity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.