Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? (27750 Views)

When Slowing Down On A Manual, Which Should Be Applied First.. Clutch Or Break / Mazda5 2006 Stalls When Slowing Down / 7 Symptoms Of A Bad Clutch Master Cylinder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Sirseedorf(m): 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2022
As a truck motor boy/learner, who is constantly on a manual truck, you will have to march the brake, then when you want to slow down to a minimum you will have to march the clutch and brake, then if you want to start moving fast again march the clutch and accelerator then change to gear 4 or 5 finito....

3 Likes

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Enemyofpeace: 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2022
Candidlady:

why do most of you have this notion..?

friends from Lagos would always say if you can drive in Lagos you can drive anywhere in Nigeria. na true ?
that's the gospel truth
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by deavicky(m): 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2022
Omihanifa:
It's clutch first before the break. If you match the break without first engaging the clutch the car will jerk and stop
depending on the amount of time u have and what speed u want to achieve.
If u are on 140 and u need to reduce ur speed all u need is to stop accelerating.
If it is an emergency or obstacles u apply break. If u want the car to stop on it's own at any point it wishes, you clutch down and disengage the gear.
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Painsoother(m): 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2022
PropertyScout:
Educative thread.
Available house for rent:
https://www.nairaland.com/7478467/available-houses-rent-within-yaba#119122887
Indeed!
If u believe u can master driving on NL, OYO is ur case.
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 13, 2022
Candidlady:

ihave never driven manual before.. but there's something bout em that fascinates me ... changing of gears !!! gear shifters always feel like they are better drivers than those who only knows how to drive auto

igot a question.. not related to the topic... can one drift with a car is automatic?

You can with an auto but you will make use of break and handbreak
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by ogmask: 1:07pm On Dec 13, 2022
Looking at this thread you'd get to understand how useless our so called driving schools are.
Na just 3 to 4 people naim sabi drive here... it doesn't matter if you drive an auto or manual, the driving sch should take you thru the very basics at least.
The most important thing here is your responses.
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Enemyofpeace: 1:07pm On Dec 13, 2022
SSYLV:
She's a lady so no need of giving her advice about driving manual when she's not done learning automatic grin grin
yeeeeeeeeeh! You're very wicked brogrin grin grin
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by NobleEngineer(m): 1:07pm On Dec 13, 2022
Break first (in case of emergencies), then clutch.
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by SenatorInNigeria(m): 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2022
cheesy[color=#006600][/color]I love this thread, can't stop laughing... So many ppl need practical experience on this cos even when I learnt it from a friend I tot he was doing the wrong thing until I understood how it's to protect our clutch plate... Thumbs up to you... If I know u know

1 Like

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by sircatherine45(m): 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2022
Candidlady:

why do most of you have this notion..?

friends from Lagos would always say if you can drive in Lagos you can drive anywhere in Nigeria. na true ?

It's an abomination for Lagosians to drive in New York

1 Like

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
you're an incomplete driver without knowing how to drive a manual car

Na why I wan go learn manual

Cus I deh like the changing of gear and the way it accelerates, I love racing especially when driving from lagos to the east for new year
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Alexbio: 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2022
RuneKingThor:
Clutch should never be used to slow down. So break first then clutch to change gear to match the new speed.

I doubt if you attended driving school!
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by chikason22(m): 1:11pm On Dec 13, 2022
Nazgul:
Clutch is for manual cars. And manual cars are old school na. undecided

Today 99% of cars on our roads are automatic, so they don't come with clutch.

Which means to stop the car you must first remove your leg from the accelerator, then step on the brakes slowly until the car stops, and finally move your gear to P (park) turn off your engine and call it a day.

Hahahaha.
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Candidlady: 1:12pm On Dec 13, 2022
pocohantas:

Nigerians just like to rate sufferhead. While driving a manual is good as you are equipped to handle every driving situation, it doesn’t mean one can’t drive if you only know automatic. I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone with a manual car around me. However, I have had an emergency situation where I had to drive a manual and that was even 6 years ago.

some don't see manual as sufferhead there is this feels to it.. especially when the vehicle is new.. you could even use a finger to change gears..

although iwould love to have a feeling of driving manual.. most that does see emselves as gods of the road

1 Like

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by FireUpNow(m): 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2022
SKIDDOLEE:
Girls and silly questions No o na accelerator u go press. angry
Oga you want make he go scatter the car wey dey him front abi? In auto stick justoull your leg off the gas pedal and step on the brake slowly until you stops the car and up shift to park end of story. Manual transmission are not so common pateley
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by deepwater(f): 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2022
Omihanifa:
It's clutch first before the break. If you match the break without first engaging the clutch the car will jerk and stop

U lie!
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by demoBaba: 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2022
Omihanifa:

It depends on the speed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by pocohantas(f): 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2022
Candidlady:

some don't see manual as sufferhead there is this feels to it.. especially when the vehicle is new.. you could even use a finger to change gears..

although iwould love to have a feeling of driving manual.. most that does see emselves as gods of the road

My point is, they think it is more intense than automatic and that itself is rating sufferhead. Most Nigerians do not drive new/modern cars, so the talk of shifting gears with a finger doesn’t even come in here.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Candidlady: 1:16pm On Dec 13, 2022
sircatherine45:

It's an abomination for Lagosians to drive in New York
is this for real?
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Flappy222: 1:16pm On Dec 13, 2022
Yes one can drift with automatic cars with the help of handbreak.
Candidlady:

ihave never driven manual before.. but there's something bout em that fascinates me ... changing of gears !!! gear shifters always feel like they are better drivers than those who only knows how to drive auto

igot a question.. not related to the topic... can one drift with a car is automatic?
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Benbellamor: 1:17pm On Dec 13, 2022
CLUTCH FIRST no matter what speed you are Moving..yes you may be driving 100km/hour and just wanted to dodge a pot-hole, you might think that pressing only the brake is ok. but Lets assume that the pot-hole is deeper than you thought, by the time you press the clutch suddenly after you hold the brake initially makes the car jerks and people in the car will notice it..so, pressing the Clutch first Enables The Gear to assist Smoothly
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by miketayo(m): 1:18pm On Dec 13, 2022
Candidlady:

With good hand brakes yes, but not as smooth as manual cars
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by adonainana: 1:18pm On Dec 13, 2022
Enemyofpeace:
you're an incomplete driver without knowing how to drive a manual car

But Car companies dont make manual cars anymore now, maybe an incomplete driver for Nigeria.

Even petrol and diesel cars some European have a 2032 deadline to phase them out

But im sure in Naija by 2032, Nigerians plans are always different i suppose
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by EmmanuelScott1(m): 1:21pm On Dec 13, 2022
obembet:
We are Going to revoke some People Drivers license here today.

We're all automatic transmission grin

1 Like

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Nursepepeye(f): 1:21pm On Dec 13, 2022
Omihanifa:
No, when accelerating and you want to stop or slowdown, you first apply brakes when the momentum has reduced, you then press clutch. The reason is because it limit the impact on brake masters pressure.
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by alizma: 1:21pm On Dec 13, 2022
Omihanifa:
Break first, you only go for the clutch at certain point when the break tend to alter the smooth running of the engine. Going for clutch first can even add to the speed depending on the level of the road eg, when on a sloppy road

2 Likes

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Alexbio: 1:23pm On Dec 13, 2022
deavicky:
depending on the amount of time u have and what speed u want to achieve.
If u are on 140 and u need to reduce ur speed all u need is to stop accelerating.
If it is an emergency or obstacles u apply break. If u want the car to stop on it's own at any point it wishes, you clutch down and disengage the gear.

Oga na lie.. You didn't attend driving school grin
on manual car your two legs, one leg on clutch and one leg on accelerator. In case of slowing down clutch and break are supposed to be pressed together with clutch being firstly pressed and and a break pressed. On manually car slowing most likely may require you as the driver to change gear (especially of the car is heavy due to loads) that is why clutch very important and due to unforseen circumstances, so the more the clutch and break are pressed the more the car want to stop and the driver gain full control of the steering.

1 Like

Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Alexbio: 1:25pm On Dec 13, 2022
alizma:

Break first, you only go for the clutch at certain point when the break tend to alter the smooth running of the engine. Going for clutch first can even add to the speed depending on the level of the road eg, when on a sloppy road

You na amateur
Shior grin grin
You go knock person down in Lagos grin grin
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by biggz82: 1:26pm On Dec 13, 2022
Who still dey drive manual, bros upgrade
Re: As An Experienced Driver, When Slowing Down, Is It Clutch Or Break? by Grandmeister(m): 1:27pm On Dec 13, 2022
Conner44:

This only depends on the speed at which the vehicle is moving. If you’re crawling below 1mph in holdup then you’d be using your clutch more often but it won’t wear out as much as if you always start depressing the clutch before the brake when you’re moving faster than around 10mph like the poster above was describing.

On a normal, according to international standards the clutch should only be used when changing gears or crawling below 1mph in traffic.
This is the answer. It depends on the speed the vehicle is moving at.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars / Pixs Of A Massive Car Manufacturing Plant In Kano You Never Believe Exist. / Between A Honda Accord And A Toyota Camry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.