Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,470 members, 7,830,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering (16470 Views)

Switching From Account To Tech / Chemical Engineering Job Or Filling Station Manager Job? / Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Johnboom: 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2022
Studying in College is not only about looking for job after your study, is about you becoming job creator. If that is your aim no matter what you study you are good.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by oneMalik: 1:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
Are you doing it for someone or for yourself ?

What are your reasons for chosen the course in the first place ?

I think your answers could guild you.

NOTE ; Remove your mind from the labour market and face your study cos people in the fields never retired and don't even want to .

Good luck
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Prowriter1: 1:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
Bro, don't do it...

These your two brothers that advised you have said everything. Not even in Nigeria, but even in other countries, no recruiter will consider your one year post graduate when there are people that spent 5 years studying the course.

It's just like a biochemist that study medical microbiology in their post graduate programs, they'll not be prioritize in both departments.

But first thing first, learn a skill while also pursuing your academia. Don't do your program without learning any skill brother.

I wish you the best in your endeavors!

Lexiskillz09:
Good evening guys. I'm sorry for the long story. But it's serious Please
Please I need ur opinions on this issue bothering me. I am a Industrial chemistry graduate. I graduated last year and just completed my NYSC. I want to go for postgraduate studies but I am having difficulties in making a decision on what to do.

Someone advised me to switch to Chemical engineering, (this will require a 1 year postgraduate diploma course) though I wouldn't mind if there's a guarantee I stand a very good chance in the labour market after the PGD and MSC. On the other hand, 2 bros in my area I respect so much discouraged me about switching. Both of them were of the opinion that it would rather keep me confused instead of helping me. That recruiters will consider a candidate with B.Eng Chemical engineering without a masters over me, while chemistry field will consider a chemistry msc holder over me also.
Bottom line, it's almost a waste of time especially here in Nigeria that I should just do msc in industrial chemistry.

I'm still young though. I Will be 22 on 27th of this month.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by lomprico(m): 1:07pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:
Please I need ur opinions on this issue bothering me. I am a Industrial chemistry graduate. I graduated last year and just completed my NYSC. I want to go for postgraduate studies but I am having difficulties in making a decision on what to do.

Someone advised me to switch to Chemical engineering, (this will require a 1 year postgraduate diploma course) though I wouldn't mind if there's a guarantee I stand a very good chance in the labour market after the PGD and MSC. On the other hand, 2 bros in my area I respect so much discouraged me about switching. Both of them were of the opinion that it would rather keep me confused instead of helping me. That recruiters will consider a candidate with B.Eng Chemical engineering without a masters over me, while chemistry field will consider a chemistry msc holder over me also.
Bottom line, it's almost a waste of time especially here in Nigeria that I should just do msc in industrial chemistry.

Go for your chemical engineering. Don't mind those 2 bros. Difference betwen Industrial chemistry and chemical engineering is not much.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Salesbay: 1:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
Bro, I am also an Industrial chemistry graduate from "the first and best" university.

The truth is that there isn't much jobs for chemistry/ICH graduates in Nigeria except lecturing. I know some first class chemistry graduates that have gone into something else.

Chemistry is an advantage if you're looking to "Japa". Infact it is one of the most funded courses in the USA. If you really want to do chemistry then your best bet is to apply for a PhD in the US.

There are many opportunities available especially if your CGPA is 3.0/4 and above. You'll get full funded scholarship. Chemistry na hotcake for US.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Brownshoe: 1:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
Is good! all na chemi.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Nonexisting1: 1:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
tuzle:
Chemistry, chemical engineering what is the difference? Chemistry engineering. I don't know much about the chemical engineering course but the only person I know who did that course is currently a teacher.
Hehehe

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Lacash: 1:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

Well Na still Chem Chem start the two, so carry on Bra…Nothing du yuh grin
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Olu1000: 1:10pm On Dec 17, 2022
Kehinde11:
Pls guys, if you're led to help pls kindly assist me with some money to buy drugs. Am very sick with malaria and typhoid but I haven't taken drugs or eaten anything due to lack of money. I live with my mum who is retired and my dad is late. Am pleading from my heart pls kindly assist me pls. may God bless you.

NAME: KEHINDE A.
UBA

Sent you 3k.Hope you are being honest though.No be say na to drink beer & kpansh olosho.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Jaycee07(m): 1:11pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

Industrial chemistry is a very good course to study.
The world has moved past papers( college degrees and masters and PhD)
Think of how to develop your brain to be independent.
Learn IT skills, build a career and not qualifications.
If you chose to switch over to chemical engineering, I still respect your choice ( chemical engineering is a solid course to study as well)
But remember this: You have to develop yourself to a point where you create labor and not be the laborer.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Contango(m): 1:12pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

It depends on a lot of factors to be honest but I can almost guarantee you that if your reason for switching to chemical engineering via the PGD route is to broaden your job search, then you are towing the wrong lane that could lead you to frustration.

First of all, you will need to correct the notion that there is a correlation between Chemical Engineering and Chemistry. Absolutely none! But [to be fair, it might help you in certain aspects of reaction kinetics in chemical engineering reaction engineering modules but will offer you no significant advantage over a good mathematician. Perhaps if I summarize some of the modules to be taken, it might help you in making a decision. The Eight most important building blocks of chemical engineering in my opinion are: Engineering Mathematics, Fluid Mechanics,Thermodynamics, Separation Processes, Transport Phenomena, Reaction Engineering, Plant Design and Process Control among others. But what exactly are they? Note that I didn’t mention chemistry!

1. Engineering mathematics: Most important among these are Calculus, Linear Algebra,Deterministic & numerical techniques to finding solution to equations, statistics and laplace transforms.

2. Fluid Mechanics: these includes flow of both compressible and incompressible fluids.

3. Thermodynamics: Power cycles, analysis of energy, work, chemical thermodynamics, solid understanding of all the intensive and extensive properties of substances in closed and opened systems etc.

4 &5 Reaction Kinetics/Engineering and Separation processes: fundamental to sizing reactors, separators like distillation columns, absorbers etc and for developing their material and energy balances.

6. Transport Phenomenon: Needed for the design of almost all process equipment that normally undergo at least one of the following; Heat, Mass and Momentum transfer like your refrigerators, radiators, blowers etc.

7. Plant design: includes codes, standards, principles deployed to assemble a system that transforms materials.

8. Process Control: anticipate and analyze dynamic situations that could be encountered in what ever equipment or system you’re designing based on their performance models. Most of these analysis are done in the laplace domain so your knowledge of linearization of differential equations, optimization and solving models in their respective laplace domains will be handy as it would be expected that you’ve learnt it from your mathematics modules.

Quite frankly, a one year diploma in chemical engineering will barely scratch the surface and this may put you in a serious disadvantage in the job market because only competent chemical engineers get employment these days. Your only option would likely be to apply as a lecturer (Which is not bad) in the department of chemical engineering which you could also easily do with your chemistry degree so what’s the point? If indeed you have passion for chemical engineering and your acumen for maths is above average plus you enjoy working with computers and have little flare for computer programming, you can switch to chemical engineering since you’re still young but you’re better off starting from 200L. PGD won’t help you.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by iamdapsyj(m): 1:12pm On Dec 17, 2022
tuzle:
Chemistry, chemical engineering what is the difference? Chemistry engineering. I don't know much about the chemical engineering course but the only person I know who did that course is currently a teacher.

And I also know someone who studied chemical engineering and works for Seplat oil....the bottom line is we can never predict the labour market.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by U09ce: 1:12pm On Dec 17, 2022
Abort mission, I repeat, Abort! Apart from medicine and perhaps architecture, i know not of any course whose unemployed graduates are not in the thousands. You having a PGD will not give you an edge over the normal graduates of chem eng.
I feel that you're restricting yourself to chemistry related jobs. The modern employment hustle doesn't work that way. Except if you have an ambition of becoming a lecturer or researcher, apply for anything that comes your way. You might even find it more interesting than your chemistry/chem eng etc

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by being(m): 1:13pm On Dec 17, 2022
Are there even jobs in chemical engr?
Best thing forget about all that and focus on an IT area.

Lexiskillz09:

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by fetrillion(m): 1:14pm On Dec 17, 2022
PrettyBolu:

Do not do it. I repeat, do not do it if your goal is to stand a good chance of getting a job.

Switch from Chemistry to Health Sciences instead.

Your background in Chemistry should give you a foundation for Health Sciences. You are already familiar with chemical composition, you can easily understand the drugs. For you to have graduated Chemistry, you must have drawn so many molecular diagrams, therefore, you will be able to handle diagrams in Health Sciences.

Chemical Engineering is a different thing entirely. If you had studied Chemical Engineering, your mindset will be different from a Chemistry graduate. Where you would have been applying to work by now will be different. Your approach to the job market will be different. You cannot switch now. You will just be a black sheep lost in the crowd. Pick Health Sciences instead.
Gbam..All this chemistry, industrial chemistry, chemical engineering is a scam in Nigeria.
..You have to options, either to switch to Health science directly,medical sciences or do your masters abroad.
There is nothing chemistry, chemical, petrochemical in Nigeria.
Don't waste your time,if your parents have the funds divert to medical Health related courses or japa through the study route

3 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Plus10(m): 1:16pm On Dec 17, 2022
Who told MSc Industrial Chemistry is waste of time?Anyway I also had such mentality when I was in the University studying Industrial Chemistry. But since I graduated from the University and started my NYSC ,I have not been out of job.Infact my first job as a Chemist ,I could remember during the interview ,I was picked over someone that studied Chemical Engineering. The fact is when it comes to job interviews,the recruiters usually check candidates with similar backgrounds for the job.In the case of any thing relating to chemical handling, processing, analysis,production etc,the recruiter would consider candidates from chemical backgrounds such Chemistry,Industrial Chemistry and chemical engineering. There is no way he would prefer one to the other.Afterall,they would still give the preferred candidate the necessary training that is required for the job.

From my personal encounter I have seen Industrial chemists worked in places like
Oil servicing firm, IOCs, production plants ,as production Chemist (that is my current position where I work),Analytical Chemist,QA/QC manager,HSE Officer,production engineer, process engineer ,Environmental Officer,Field engineer etc.Let no one deceive or tell that there is no job for Industrial chemist out there.Go to Notore,Indorama,laser engineering, Seplat,Agip,Total even Shell they have alots of Industrial Chemists in their team.Anayway the decision is still left for you to decide, wish you all the best in your decision making.

4 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by iamdapsyj(m): 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2022
Salesbay:
Bro, I am also an Industrial chemistry graduate from "the first and best" university.

The truth is that there isn't much jobs for chemistry/ICH graduates in Nigeria except lecturing. I know some first class chemistry graduates that have gone into something else.

Chemistry is an advantage if you're looking to "Japa". Infact it is one of the most funded courses in the USA. If you really want to do chemistry then your best bet is to apply for a PhD in the US.

There are many opportunities available especially if your CGPA is 3.0/4 and above. You'll get full funded scholarship. Chemistry na hotcake for US.

This is very true because I have a friend that got fully funded scholarship for his masters in the UK....

2 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by busomma: 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2022
Chemical engineering is a better choice my dear.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by christistruth01: 1:19pm On Dec 17, 2022
EvangDrGeo:

With your good knowledge of chemistry (plus physics), write Jamb again and fill Medicine and Surgery. Choose a school like Niger Delta University, Bayesla State.

You are very young.

You will thank me after 6 years time.

I did the same thing too

Many universities will accept a Science first degree for Medicine

2 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Kaboo4sure: 1:20pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

Let me comment for the first time since I joined Nairaland many years ago. I believe in sharing knowledge expecially with someone of your age.

I did studied Industrial chemistry too, and I switched to Chemical Engineering later, so I may be able to provide some insight on this question. You see, the most important thing in life is to define your goal, and also understand why you want to take a step. There is a saying that you are not an engineer unless you have a bachelor degree in Engineering. Nigeria is a case study and whatever decision you want to me, you got to think twice.

As for me, I had to start from scratch and had a second bachelor degree in chemical engineering while I also had friends that had masters in Chemical engineering with Bachelor in chemistry. While there may be a different experience, I think I took the best option because at the end of the day I got a job immediately after graduation while those that had masters end up switching to other things or in some cases couldn't get the kind of offer that I got. This is simply due to the fact that there is much different between Chemical engineering and chemistry, and the fundamentals of engineering is thought at lower level. With that said, this is just a case of someone that lives in United States.

For you living in Nigeria, I think you should consider some of the comments you are reading. Do you want to do masters and end up teaching in secondary school? If you have passion for Engineering, it may not be a bad idea but I will suggest you get PhD such that your can become a researcher for industries. Masters in Chemical Engineering doesn't count as much as Bachelor or PhD. For bachelor you learn the fundamentals and will be able to run a plant, for PhD , you will be able to help design the plant or help with improvement and sometimes you are the SME.

If there is no passion for Engineering and you just want to study for purpose of making money in Nigeria, my friend pls think twice, don't wast your youthful age. Switch to medicine or go into IT; programming, Cloud Engineering, Cyber security, etc. That is where the future is.

Please don't take my advise as-is. The final decision is yours, always follow your instinct. You could still take your decision and in future tell a story about how people advised you not to, but you took it anyways and it paid off...

I am happy to help for further questions.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by inyangd4: 1:23pm On Dec 17, 2022
OP, I was in your shoes years ago.
In my case, I finally settled for MSc Analytical Chemistry and I have no regret today!

There are more opportunities in Chemistry than Chem Engineering.

There are untapped opportunities in Chemistry: Chemoformatics, Chemometrics, Instrumentation( in my case) etc.

In a nutshell, head towards the ICT areas of your field of study

5 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by na2016: 1:24pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

If you want to do MSc, do it in that same Chemistry. You will thank me later. Don't switch to that stupid chemical engineering oo. Most of my mates that read chemical don't have a job ooo. Not to talk of you with a different background.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by bonnyhope: 1:24pm On Dec 17, 2022
Corrosiveman:
grin
Yu must be a dummy if you think it's ur certificate....why don't you learn a skill and start earning even if it's little, it's worth peace of mind
I never in my life working for somebody

That's your own choice

You should not crucify other for making their own choice
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by naijknight: 1:25pm On Dec 17, 2022
So...after all you finish the program..you are back on street searching for job up and down...oga go learn handwork now before its too late undecided
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by boluwatife122: 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
Plus10:
Who told MSc Industrial Chemistry is waste of time?Anyway I also had such mentality when I was in the University studying Industrial Chemistry. But since I graduated from the University and started my NYSC ,I have not been out of job.Infact my first job as a Chemist ,I could remember during the interview ,I was picked over someone that studied Chemical Engineering. The fact is when it comes to job interviews,the recruiters usually check candidates with similar backgrounds for the job.In the case of any thing relating to chemical handling, processing, analysis,production etc,the recruiter would consider candidates from chemical backgrounds such Chemistry,Industrial Chemistry and chemical engineering. There is no way he would prefer one to the other.Afterall,they would still give the preferred candidate the necessary training that is required for the job.

From my personal encounter I have seen Industrial chemists worked in places like
Oil servicing firm, IOCs, production plants ,as production Chemist (that is my current position where I work),Analytical Chemist,QA/QC manager,HSE Officer,production engineer, process engineer ,Environmental Officer,Field engineer etc.Let no one deceive or tell that there is no job for Industrial chemist out there.Go to Notore,Indorama,laser engineering, Seplat,Agip,Total even Shell they have alots of Industrial Chemists in their team.Anayway the decision is still left for you to decide, wish you all the best in your decision making.

How many people can now have opportunity to work in such a place
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Reni1: 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

First, I admire your courage to explore your alternatives at an early stage of your career, and it's okay to make mistakes now and learn from them.

My advice will be to relocate to the US and pursue the direction you want, Masters or PhD either in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. I would not advise you to invest an extra year in converting your degree to Chemical Engineering in Nigeria. The benefit of pursuing Chemistry in the US is that you have access to more funding when compared to chemical engineering because fewer people do Chemistry in comparison Chem Eng.

The key thing is to secure a source of income after graduation, while you will have work authorization to work for 30 months after graduation, I am not sure if Chemistry has more opportunities in comparison to Chemical Engineering. However, you can recraft your resume to fit whatever role is available, eg recraft your resume to fit an IT Job.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by comrChris(m): 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2022
tuzle:
As you know one that's a teacher, I know many who are doing well in many oil industries and designs

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Oziens: 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lack of proper guidance counselling is the root cause of ur issues.

Any options opted for is good. it is a function of opportunity that comes ur way afterwards.

I studied industrial chemistry for bachelor and environmental chemistry & Pollution Control for my msc at ui. Ibadan. I never regretted it. It offers me so much opportunities up to officer, manager and to head of department in industrial manufacturing sectors.
So the choice is yours. Know what u want and seek God guidance.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by faithfull18(f): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
addexx:
School school school!!!!!

Una no wan make money?
Una no wan see the world?
Una no wan chop life ?
Una no wan change lives?

What have you done with your industrial chemistry degree. What impact? Or you are all about acquiring undecided

Lol, school isn't scam sha.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by zinaunreal(m): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2022
All na wash
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Validated: 1:28pm On Dec 17, 2022
Johnboom:
Studying in College is not only about looking for job after your study, is about you becoming job creator. If that is your aim no matter what you study you are good.

The Nigerian mentality or is it colonial mentality now? An Industrial Chemist? Have you thought of something new that you can make, say like a product that can degrade plastics? Innovate with your knowledge and not focus on job hunting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Song Inspires You To Work Hard? / Lagos Discovers N13m From Accounts Of Dead Staff / Imo Sacks 1,400 LG Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.