Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,093 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering (16463 Views)

Switching From Account To Tech / Chemical Engineering Job Or Filling Station Manager Job? / Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Dokiwa: 1:29pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:
Good evening guys. I'm sorry for the long story. But it's serious Please
Please I need ur opinions on this issue bothering me. I am a Industrial chemistry graduate. I graduated last year and just completed my NYSC. I want to go for postgraduate studies but I am having difficulties in making a decision on what to do.

Someone advised me to switch to Chemical engineering, (this will require a 1 year postgraduate diploma course) though I wouldn't mind if there's a guarantee I stand a very good chance in the labour market after the PGD and MSC. On the other hand, 2 bros in my area I respect so much discouraged me about switching. Both of them were of the opinion that it would rather keep me confused instead of helping me. That recruiters will consider a candidate with B.Eng Chemical engineering without a masters over me, while chemistry field will consider a chemistry msc holder over me also.
Bottom line, it's almost a waste of time especially here in Nigeria that I should just do msc in industrial chemistry.

I'm still young though. I Will be 22 on 27th of this month.

I sent you a dm...Cheers
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by 9icetoo(m): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2022
PrettyBolu:

Do not do it. I repeat, do not do it if your goal is to stand a good chance of getting a job.

Switch from Chemistry to Health Sciences instead.

Your background in Chemistry should give you a foundation for Health Sciences. You are already familiar with chemical composition, you can easily understand the drugs. For you to have graduated Chemistry, you must have drawn so many molecular diagrams, therefore, you will be able to handle diagrams in Health Sciences.

Chemical Engineering is a different thing entirely. If you had studied Chemical Engineering, your mindset will be different from a Chemistry graduate. Where you would have been applying to work by now will be different. Your approach to the job market will be different. You cannot switch now. You will just be a black sheep lost in the crowd. Pick Health Sciences instead.
Follow this advice. I studied chem eng.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Siberia01(m): 1:33pm On Dec 17, 2022
Some peeps who don't even have a clue will spread their ignorance here...

They are many branches to major in chemistry

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by tuzle(m): 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2022
iamdapsyj:

And I also know someone who studied chemical engineering and works for Seplat oil....the bottom line is we can never predict the labour market.
I am not saying he shouldn't do it, so don't misquote me. Like I said I don't know much on the course
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Pymetrics: 1:34pm On Dec 17, 2022
Why not dedicate on applying for graduate trainee jobs or internship that accept Chemistry graduates? If you get the job, it will give you an opportunity to know which path to follow in the future. You're still young and you have chances on graduate trainee jobs.

Alternatively, you can fill in to start Medicine and Surgery in a none ASUU member university. You will have double chances at the end.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Siberia01(m): 1:35pm On Dec 17, 2022
Jaycee07:

Industrial chemistry is a very good course to study.
The world has moved past papers( college degrees and masters and PhD)
Think of how to develop your brain to be independent.
Learn IT skills, build a career and not qualifications.
If you chose to switch over to chemical engineering, I still respect your choice ( chemical engineering is a solid course to study as well)
But remember this: You have to develop yourself to a point where you create labor and not be the laborer.
grin
Lol I know a relative that switched from chem engineering to pure chemistry because of the opportunities in the US. ( Polymer and materials science)
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Dokiwa: 1:36pm On Dec 17, 2022
9icetoo:

Follow this advice. I studied chem eng.

I beg to differ. I studied Chemistry in Uni and did an MSc in Chemical Engineering. Transition was tough but faired quite well in the professional world.

I also worked with folks who studied industrial chemistry and have fared quite well in the engineering space.

Again, it's a tough transition but not impossible if you are willing to put in the work.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2022
Don't be deviating from the topic, there is room for certificate and skill, so don't confuse it.
Corrosiveman:
grin
Yu must be a dummy if you think it's ur certificate....why don't you learn a skill and start earning even if it's little, it's worth peace of mind
I never in my life working for somebody
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Paulheyman: 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2022
I studied chemistry up to a PhD
My advice
1) Don't switch. Chemistry have greater prospects than chemical/petrochemical engineering combined
2) If you're interested in PG then go for a) organic chemistry b) inorganic chemistry c) environmental chemistry d) polymer chemistry e) physical chemistry
But preferably organic chemistry their prospects are pretty high
3) learn computational chemistry and its application in pharmacy, medicine, engineering and mathematics
4) As a young chemist, start preparing your BSc project for publication in top notch journals indexed in Scopus and/or WOS
5) Generally Nigeria doesn't have industries, so you didn't study Industrial chemistry to work in a country without industries. But you've countless opportunities abroad including free funded scholarships
6) if you're consistent, in 5yrs time you'll have a PhD and be entitled to numerous grants and postdoc fellowship abroad. As a research fellow you work less and earn more while your colleagues in medical profession works more to earn more
7) Chemistry is very lucrative but it requires absolute hard work at the initial stage. If you're passionate you'll go places. Most people into medical, health and pharmaceutical based profession can boast of getting employed sooner than you did but your career growth is pretty awesome and within a short period you'll catch up and overtake them.
cool A single grant can change your financial status for life
9) As a chemist, your closest friend should be your supervisor, they're in a better position to advise you
10) Studying chemistry in the university is something I never regretted.
With a PhD you can work in up to three universities (some as part time staff/adjunct professor). The problem is most chemist think that their BSc is enough, and that's where the regrets sets in

Testimony: I got a postdoc offer, still reconsidering it.

Bottom line: Don't switch. You'll neither be a chemist nor an engineer. You'll not be employed as a engineer nor be valued as a chemist. Someone that has a BSc and MSc in chemistry will be prioritize than you that have BSc chemistry, PGD and msc engineering. The PGD is just an education requirements and I don't think it qualifies you as an engineer nor a COREN member

6 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Devil1Messenger: 1:38pm On Dec 17, 2022
abobote:
I so much like that course, Ehemical Engineering, but graduate when priorities student unionism

There's no course that guarantee job in the labour market, however Chemical Engineering is a very lucrative course
Lucrative in which country? grin
Oga i did chemical engineering in uniben
There is no future for chemical engineers except lecturing job.
Better do mechanical or electrical.
Naso i deceive myself for school den only to graduate and discovered it was a useless course to study in Nigeria.
Many of us that did chemcal engineering have to create another professions for ourselves.
Me done switch enter tech since

2 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by laughter25: 1:38pm On Dec 17, 2022
Pls. Continuous with your chemistry, none of them can grantee you a job, there is no single industry again in Nigeria. I hold MSc in chemical engineering from ABU, but I am now a teacher, teach Global perspective and
mathematics in am international schools.
I wished I studied chemistry, I would have gone for my PhD, that would have grantees me a career in lecturing

4 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 1:39pm On Dec 17, 2022
For your information, US and UK are currently looking for STEM teachers, don't say what you don't know.
Dollyak:
Majoring in chemistry in Nigeria (in most places in the world) is such a waste of time as it's such a niche market. I'll advise you switch into engineering as it's has a much better job prospects.
Other USA and China, there are not many places with enough job market for chemist.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by enachris(m): 1:41pm On Dec 17, 2022
I am a graduate of chemical engineering, there is no particular course that actually guarantees employment. Do watever u love, and make sure u come out with a very good grade, that makes u more employable and stand a better chance of getting angood job!author=Lexiskillz09 post=119086249]Good evening guys. I'm sorry for the long story. But it's serious Please
Please I need ur opinions on this issue bothering me. I am a Industrial chemistry graduate. I graduated last year and just completed my NYSC. I want to go for postgraduate studies but I am having difficulties in making a decision on what to do.

Someone advised me to switch to Chemical engineering, (this will require a 1 year postgraduate diploma course) though I wouldn't mind if there's a guarantee I stand a very good chance in the labour market after the PGD and MSC. On the other hand, 2 bros in my area I respect so much discouraged me about switching. Both of them were of the opinion that it would rather keep me confused instead of helping me. That recruiters will consider a candidate with B.Eng Chemical engineering without a masters over me, while chemistry field will consider a chemistry msc holder over me also.
Bottom line, it's almost a waste of time especially here in Nigeria that I should just do msc in industrial chemistry.

I'm still young though. I Will be 22 on 27th of this month. [/quote]
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by na2016: 1:43pm On Dec 17, 2022
Dokiwa:

I beg to differ. I studied Chemistry in Uni and did an MSc in Chemical Engineering. Transition was tough but faired quite well in the professional world.

I also worked with folks who studied industrial chemistry and have fared quite well in the engineering space.

Again, it's a tough transition but not impossible if you are willing to put in the work.

You probably ain't back in Nigeria. That transition is a though one and can weigh him down if he is not a resilient person.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Geovanni412(m): 1:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

You will be 22. Bros, learn from other people's mistakes. All these degrees will take you nowhere in Nigeria unless it is your ambition to become a lecturer.
The aim of going to school is to get a job and earn money. Most of the jobs in Nigeria are in finance sector. In your sector, you can only get job unless you know someone in the company that will connect you. Anything else na just luck or God's grace.
If you must remain in Nigeria, use your time and learn a skill, whether, online or offline. Unofficial Inflation rate is closer to 50% . This is not the time to be accumulating 'dust' certificates. Think about this - Some girls on onlyfans earn more than a Nigerian engineer or lecturer's salary in a year in one month. People vote for what they want on the market with their money. Your average carpenter or mason earns more in a month than bank contract staff.

2 Likes

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 1:48pm On Dec 17, 2022
PrettyBolu:

Do not do it. I repeat, do not do it if your goal is to stand a good chance of getting a job.

Switch from Chemistry to Health Sciences instead.

Your background in Chemistry should give you a foundation for Health Sciences. You are already familiar with chemical composition, you can easily understand the drugs. For you to have graduated Chemistry, you must have drawn so many molecular diagrams, therefore, you will be able to handle diagrams in Health Sciences.

Chemical Engineering is a different thing entirely. If you had studied Chemical Engineering, your mindset will be different from a Chemistry graduate. Where you would have been applying to work by now will be different. Your approach to the job market will be different. You cannot switch now. You will just be a black sheep lost in the crowd. Pick Health Sciences instead.
Beautiful advice OP. Switch to nursing, japa to UK and get your degree within 1 year. Get a job right away. Don't suffer yourself.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by RingRoadMafia: 1:50pm On Dec 17, 2022
Olu1000:

Sent you 3k.Hope you are being honest though.No be say na to drink beer & kpansh olosho.

Congratulations, you've been scammed
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Treasuredgift(f): 1:53pm On Dec 17, 2022
Go for something in health.....its a better risk or chance than the other.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by faro02455(m): 1:55pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

Chemical Engineering is entirely different from Industrial Chemistry. Chemical Engineering is basically Mathematics and Physics and Encompasses other engineering field so, don't make the mistake of thinking it's Chemistry related because of the name.

I will advice you to continue your Chemistry line and the part of looking out for more job opportunities; it's available everywhere. What you only need to do is to design your path, stay focused and continue to build yourself in your area of interest and I promise you, there are endless opportunities available for you.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Sweetvie: 1:56pm On Dec 17, 2022
Hmm
Do not switch
1year chemical engineering diploma course doesn't make u an engineer nor guarantee work... There's more to chemistry than being a teacher don't let anyone deceive you.
Chemistry have more propects than chemical engineering
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Dollyak(f): 1:57pm On Dec 17, 2022
LARRYOBRAIN:
For your information, US and UK are currently lking for STEM teachers, don't say what you don't know.
STEM is not exclusive to chemistry teacher is it? In addition, Teaching has never been a big enough sector for any course to bank your job prospects on, nevermind chemistry graduates. Most of chemistry graduates are employed in pharma and research industries, both of which are now in short supply in UK.

Like I said, USA and China are the only country that employs chemistry graduates in large number.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by marenkurz: 1:59pm On Dec 17, 2022
I'll advise you to forget about getting a job. Write ietls and GRE. Apply to USA university for PhD. Full scholarship are guaranteed if you score good points. I know at least 5 students that have gone through similar route.
Good luck �
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by omolasho: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2022
Both of them were of the opinion that it would rather keep me confused instead of helping me. That recruiters will consider a candidate with B.Eng Chemical engineering without a masters over me, while chemistry field will consider a chemistry msc holder over me also.

Bottom line, it's almost a waste of time especially here in Nigeria that I should just do msc in industrial chemistry.( says who? That's a rejected hypothesis. Besides most chem eng grads are no better off because they end up in classroom or unrelated ventures in life)

What you need in your field to max is mastery; which includes Msc and probably PhD
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by blowjohn(m): 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2022
Look for business and do o.

Both courses na scam for this present naija
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by hmohammed(m): 2:04pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

Bro, call me and let me guide you. Do not make the same mistake I made. Chemical engineering is a no go area in Nigeria for the most part. I am a graduate of Chemical engineering and can provide the guidance needed.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Lannister360: 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2022
Lexiskillz09:

Don't do any useless masters, if you like do masters in industrial chemistry+chemical engineering, you are just wasting your time, a certificate isn't of much value here.

Go and learn a skill, that's the best decision you can make at the point, if you do a master's in any course in this country, You are likely to regret it.
I pray you truly take my advice, I passionately wish you learn a skill so you can be successful, forget masters please, I beg you for your own good
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Jamie1000: 2:08pm On Dec 17, 2022
The only course you can do now with job opportunities are computer based, coding , IT security. etc..So why stress yourself over an engineering job with a minimum wage tag. At your age, if you're in Nigeria, you should be thinking japa now that you have the strength and zeal. Because, a cleaner can earn Better than you and have Better investment than you. Even with your two degrees in this country.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by MrBroke(m): 2:13pm On Dec 17, 2022
I ain't gat no idea about school stuff so let me just occupy space
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Babastrong(m): 2:14pm On Dec 17, 2022
Go and do analytical chemistry instead of chemical engineering.
note, i studied industrial chemistry too.
though i have not done my msc but i am into production( soaps, insecticides, organic fertilizers) but if i should do my msc today, it's either analytical chemistry or forensic chemistry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Dismissed Exxonmobil Staff Protest Non-Payment Despite Supreme Court Judgement / What Song Inspires You To Work Hard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.