Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,782 members, 7,831,519 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering (16478 Views)

Switching From Account To Tech / Chemical Engineering Job Or Filling Station Manager Job? / Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by ambassadorsam(m): 11:43am On Dec 18, 2022
If you are thinking of travelling out, go for either Industria Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. Both fields are in high demand in Europe. You will not regret it in terms of finding a job or advanced study opportunities. Develop relevant skills, get good grades and travel through the study route which is relatively cost-effective.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Johncuppa(m): 1:28pm On Dec 18, 2022
Like you were told, it's a mistake you are about to make.
If do you lecturing, Chemistry will hardly recognise your Msc, and Chemical Engineering will not admit you or delay your promotion as at when due.
In industries, the two are different route, while Chemistry major in analysis and QC, Chemical Engineering majors in Production and design. So, where exactly do you want to be fixed?

My advice, do your Msc in Chemistry, apply for industrial and lecturing jobs, and then, learn digital skill.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Manuelmarvyy(m): 2:31pm On Dec 18, 2022
Lexiskillz09:
Good evening guys. I'm sorry for the long story. But it's serious Please
Please I need ur opinions on this issue bothering me. I am a Industrial chemistry graduate. I graduated last year and just completed my NYSC. I want to go for postgraduate studies but I am having difficulties in making a decision on what to do.

Someone advised me to switch to Chemical engineering, (this will require a 1 year postgraduate diploma course) though I wouldn't mind if there's a guarantee I stand a very good chance in the labour market after the PGD and MSC. On the other hand, 2 bros in my area I respect so much discouraged me about switching. Both of them were of the opinion that it would rather keep me confused instead of helping me. That recruiters will consider a candidate with B.Eng Chemical engineering without a masters over me, while chemistry field will consider a chemistry msc holder over me also.
Bottom line, it's almost a waste of time especially here in Nigeria that I should just do msc in industrial chemistry.

I'm still young though. I Will be 22 on 27th of this month.

Hello there are lots of Graduate scholarships for Industrial chemist abroad esp USA. Explore that option. If you're interested, I can add you to whatsapo group to gain valuable free information. Your course is wonderful. Chemical engineering is good too.
08137207072. WhatsApp
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by VectorVee68(m): 3:53pm On Dec 18, 2022
I am a graduate of Industrial Chemistry. I would advice that instead of switching, consider opportunities to further outside the country. you just don't know yet but trust me You are already an Engineer.... PS. you might consider MSc.Material Science and Engineering. or MSc.Renewable Energy system. and in case you want to do it in Nigeria I Prescribe MSc.Material Science and Explosive at Nigerian Defense Academy. 22 is a good age man. utilize this opportunity.
Very important. hope you graduated with good grades?
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by VectorVee68(m): 3:54pm On Dec 18, 2022
Manuelmarvyy:

Hello there are lots of Graduate scholarships for Industrial chemist abroad esp USA. Explore that option. If you're interested, I can add you to whatsapo group to gain valuable free information. Your course is wonderful. Chemical engineering is good too.
08137207072. WhatsApp

OP these are the kind of advice you should listen to.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Ginomel(m): 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2022
Olu1000:

Sent you 3k.Hope you are being honest though.No be say na to drink beer & kpansh olosho.

I may not know you or the person you supported but God who knows all will bless you very well and enrich you to be more answers to people prayers.

1 Like

Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Ginomel(m): 7:06pm On Dec 20, 2022
Dokiwa:

I beg to differ. I studied Chemistry in Uni and did an MSc in Chemical Engineering. Transition was tough but faired quite well in the professional world.

I also worked with folks who studied industrial chemistry and have fared quite well in the engineering space.

Again, it's a tough transition but not impossible if you are willing to put in the work.

You have a point here. Know of someone that read industrial chemistry(Got a job in oil and gas company) but did PGD Petroleum Engineering then masters in Petroleum Engineering to align with the present profession .It simply depends on the direction God put one.
Re: Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering by Holav(m): 1:02am On Jul 31, 2023
Bro in my school they are not offering hnd for chemical engineering, just 2 years Nd and am planning 2 go 2 University then change d course 2 petroleum engineering, will i be consider chemical engineering with d 2 years nd program? Though petroleum engineering is my first choice b4,, school strike make me change it 2 chemical engineering cus yabatech is not offering petroleum and they are similar courses.
ojodomo2000:
I remember being in your position many years ago. I originally planned to study Chemical Engineering, but I was admitted to study Chemistry. I attempted to switch after graduating via a similar route - PGD, Masters, but was cautioned against it. I stayed with Chemistry and earned a PhD. Today, I'm an Assistant Professor of Chemistry in the UK.
If you want to ply your trade abroad, you can change, but if not, stick with Chemistry and get your Master's in it.
NB: A classmate actually switched, but hardly regarded as a Chem. Eng due to his foundation degree (Chemistry). This is mostly the case in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Song Inspires You To Work Hard? / Lagos Discovers N13m From Accounts Of Dead Staff / Imo Sacks 1,400 LG Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.