Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously (915 Views)

Valentine: If She Is Not A Working Class, Don't Take Her Out / Ladies: Don't Take The Role Of A Wife While Dating, You Are His Girlfriend Joor! / 4 reasons Why I DON'T Take Women With Tattoos Seriously (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 12:27am On Dec 13, 2022
My father is old school
He is the type to always be dishing advice every chance he gets.

I will sit down and listen to him
After all talks.
I will go and do what I want.

It's so funny, he can preach for hours about me keeping dreadlocks as bad habit.
I will sit and listen, but after the talks and advice.
I will go and still keep my dreadlocks

That's how he said engineering is what I should study.
He gave me school fees and I applied for business admin.. grin grin
Now I'm doing very well and comfortable

I thank God I only took 5% of my dad's advice and ignored the rest
If I had followed all his advice I would have been a loser by now.
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Chizzyjforce: 12:30am On Dec 13, 2022
Who knows, you might be competing with Elon Musk in Space Technology now if you had listened to your dad.

That's me thinking aloud, not practically my business though.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 12:32am On Dec 13, 2022
An example of my dad's advice ..

In 2014 he advised me to vote buhari as he is an ex army General that will solve terrorism.

My younger bro always listened and obeyed my dad 100%
But now he is broke financially, still living with my parents.

Now my parents are even using me that didn't listen to them as bragging rights..

Mehhhhhhn This Life is Mysterious

7 Likes

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 12:36am On Dec 13, 2022
Chizzyjforce:
Who knows, you might be competing with Elon Musk in Space Technology now if you had listened to your dad.

That's me thinking aloud, not practically my business though.
I would be unemployed and broke if I listened to my dad.
I love him very well
But his advices and ideas keep backfiring.
I guess it's because he is an old school man.

They don't understand that the world has changed drastically and what used to work in 1980 can never work in this 21st century 2022

I had to listen to myself and my heart
Take chances and risks.
Now my bro that always obeyed and listened to them is depressed and broke.

But me that was the rebel, I'm doing very well and also helping my siblings.
Life is truly mysterious grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 12:41am On Dec 13, 2022
Back then, they will literally complain to all our family friends that I don't listen to them.
And they will say very good things about my younger bro.
Saying that he will go far in life because he listens and take their advice.

Fast foward now
They use me to brag grin grin
And it's affecting my younger bro mentally
He is now staying indoors, depressed
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 12:45am On Dec 13, 2022
MY POINT IS

THIS LIFE ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR HEART

NOT WHAT YOUR PARENTS SAY

PARENTS ARE NOT GOD

THEY MAKE MISTAKES TOO

FOLLOW YOUR HEART

THANK YOU

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 13, 2022
You don’t have to always follow what they say but always
Listen and draw wisdom from what they say because they have a lot of life experiences and have made more mistakes than you.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Buhari4sale: 2:31am On Dec 13, 2022
You are a replica of either your dad or your mom. Both of them can't be stupid if are not stupid.

This should be your personal decision and not what to use in advising others.

As you lay your bed, na so you go lay untop am, be wise.

You will be become a father someday!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Blunttruth: 8:20am On Dec 13, 2022
It depends on the exposure and experience of the dad. I listened to mine most of the time and I am doing okay.
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Viridis(m): 8:23am On Dec 13, 2022
SultanOfPuna:
My father is old school

After all talks.

It's so funny, he can preach for hours about me keeping dreadlocks as bad habit.

You no lie bro. I can testify to that

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SenecaTheYonger: 8:26am On Dec 13, 2022
My parents didn’t give much advice but they were very supportive of anything I wanted to do, except illegal stuff.

They always wanted their kids to be able to think for themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Karleb(m): 8:55am On Dec 13, 2022
I do this too. Atleast if I ruin my life, I'd know I'm responsible.

I don’t get why my dad ends everything with prayers and advice. We can't even have a normal conversation anymore. undecided

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by benqo01(m): 9:06am On Dec 13, 2022
Remember our parents are not always 100% right,be it in the aspect of advice take some and use yours simple
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Karleb(m): 9:06am On Dec 13, 2022
SultanOfPuna:
Back then, they will literally complain to all our family friends that I don't listen to them.
And they will say very good things about my younger bro.
Saying that he will go far in life because he listens and take their advice.

Fast foward now
They use me to brag grin grin
And it's affecting my younger bro mentally
He is now staying indoors, depressed

It seems we have the same dad.

My pops made it clear to me that he preferred my younger sister through his actions.
It got to her head too. She believed she could do what I did because I make things too easy.

Now, she has messed even though she had more nurture.

He is trying to make me his favorite but I don't care about those things anymore.

I wonder why they do these things tho.

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Nobody: 9:16am On Dec 13, 2022
We once had this neighbour who didn't want her daughter to get married to a soldier as she's an architect.

The mother who is a teacher tried to do everything to break them up, but it didn't work and they eventually got married.

This same mother had not been married before and the funny thing is, she later got married to a man whom apparently is a street vendor... And allegedly as time went by, she asked her husband to stop working as a street vendor and rather stay at home and look after the house while she goes to work as a teacher.

Had it been that her daughter had taken her advice then and left her boyfriend, who's now her husband, I doubt she was ever going to have a good relationship with her mother after she got married to an alleged street vendor, when she didn't want her to get married to a soldier.

Some advices are just meant to be listened and not taken.

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Divoc19(f): 10:20am On Dec 13, 2022
Some parents are not just enlightened and they don't know how to keep up with the pace of reality.

I use to tell my mum to always pray for me.
That's enough from her because we are decades apart.

Not all parents are dumb though.

Check out your own parents and find out..

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 3:18pm On Dec 13, 2022
Divoc19:
Some parents are not just enlightened and they don't know how to keep up with the pace of reality.

I use to tell my mum to always pray for me.
That's enough from her because we are decades apart.

Not all parents are dumb though.

Check out your own parents and find out..
Very true

I do envy people that have cool parents that are more tech savvy.

My own is once they see me with my laptop they begin to say I'm wasting my time
Instead of being productive.
It's not their fault, they are just old school
And it's hard for old people to change mindset

90% of all skills I learned in life was from YouTube video tutorials and Google.
They don't understand that we are in a totally different reality than the olden days

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2022
Samantha123:
We once had this neighbour who didn't want her daughter to get married to a soldier as she's an architect.

The mother who is a teacher tried to do everything to break them up, but it didn't work and they eventually got married.

This same mother had not been married before and the funny thing is, she later got married to a man whom apparently is a street vendor... And allegedly as time went by, she asked her husband to stop working as a street vendor and rather stay at home and look after the house while she goes to work as a teacher.

Had it been that her daughter had taken her advice then and left her boyfriend, who's now her husband, I doubt she was ever going to have a good relationship with her mother after she got married to an alleged street vendor, when she didn't want her to get married to a soldier.

Some advices are just meant to be listened and not taken.
The crazy part is
If you follow their advice and it fails
They will blame it on devil or evil relations trying to pull you down.

Then they tell you to attend Shiloh and pray for God to help.
They never accept that they are wrong grin grin
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 13, 2022
That's African parents for you, always looking for someone or something to blame but themselves, even though it's their fault.

They'd give you wrong advice in the name of being your elders.
SultanOfPuna:

The crazy part is
If you follow their advice and it fails
They will blame it on devil or evil relations trying to pull you down.

Then they tell you to attend Shiloh and pray for God to help.
They never accept that they are wrong grin grin

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Socratiz: 3:52pm On Dec 13, 2022
I see this complaints as an indictment on the old generation who have ignored the enlightenment of the 20th century to broaden their minds. They still live in the 70s and 80s, not knowing that life has moved into another dimension. They cannot see beyond the their noses.

How can you help a father who, though educated, cannot send a simple SMS from his phone? Such men are already expired though they're still breathing.

Nevertheless, there are tech savvy and enlightened parents who can give useful advice to their children. If you have a parent like this, please thank your God

1 Like

Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 13, 2022
Well, my parents are old fashioned too, but they're more respectful of the decisions I make in life.

I got my first tattoo at the age of 17 and they approved under the condition that the tattoo is located where it can be covered with clothes.

I used to like having different coloured hairstyles during high school holidays and they also didn't see anything wrong with it, as long as I remained respectful.

I decided to join the Christian religion at the age of 16 and my family weren't really religious then, even though my mom wasn't really comfortable with it, given some stories she heard about some things done by some fake pastors out there, she bought me my first Bible... And I'm not going to lie, I wasn't serious at first as a Christian and I only went there because of the music.. grin grin grin

They also allowed me to choose any field of study I wanted without trying to interfere.

I'm now a law graduate, freelancer, a crotchet designer, and an aspired author.

SultanOfPuna:

Very true

I do envy people that have cool parents that are more tech savvy.

My own is once they see me with my laptop they begin to say I'm wasting my time
Instead of being productive.
It's not their fault, they are just old school
And it's hard for old people to change mindset

90% of all skills I learned in life was from YouTube video tutorials and Google.
They don't understand that we are in a totally different reality than the olden days
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Qatar2022: 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2022
SultanOfPuna:
My father is old school

After all talks.

He who don't listen to advice of his father is on the way to destruction
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 5:27pm On Dec 13, 2022
Samantha123:
Well, my parents are old fashioned too, but they're more respectful of the decisions I make in life.

I got my first tattoo at the age of 17 and they approved under the condition that the tattoo is located where it can be covered with clothes.

I used to like having different coloured hairstyles during high school holidays and they also didn't see anything wrong with it, as long as I remained respectful.

I decided to join the Christian religion at the age of 16 and my family weren't really religious then, even though my mom wasn't really comfortable with it, given some stories she heard about some things done by some fake pastors out there, she bought me my first Bible... And I'm not going to lie, I wasn't serious at first as a Christian and I only went there because of the music.. grin grin grin

They also allowed me to choose any field of study I wanted without trying to interfere.

I'm now a law graduate, freelancer, a crotchet designer, and an aspired author.

One thing to be old fashioned
Another thing to be Open minded
But to have both in a parent is a blessing
Count your lucky stars
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by SultanOfPuna: 5:29pm On Dec 13, 2022
Qatar2022:

If your dad wake up and tell you to drimk sniper with him. Will you drink?

YES OR NO
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Ikennaford: 5:54pm On Dec 13, 2022
SultanOfPuna:

I would be unemployed and broke if I listened to my dad.
I love him very well
But his advices and ideas keep backfiring.
I guess it's because he is an old school man.

They don't understand that the world has changed drastically and what used to work in 1980 can never work in this 21st century 2022

I had to listen to myself and my heart
Take chances and risks.
Now my bro that always obeyed and listened to them is depressed and broke.

But me that was the rebel, I'm doing very well and also helping my siblings.
Life is truly mysterious grin grin grin
You no lie, shaa, most of the time Na rebellious kids deh make am pass those ones weh deh listen
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Ikennaford: 5:58pm On Dec 13, 2022
Qatar2022:

Lols, you don't understand op, go back and read.... Read to comprehend... There are different types of advice and ones op most hear from his father
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by MasterShifu010(m): 6:47pm On Dec 13, 2022
Let me first commend the OP for having the courage to open a thread like this , and also commend the commenters for being open minded not to hypocritically judge him for going against African archaic doctrines, but instead concurred with him .
With the few people who concurred with him , the future is in safe hands .
Re: Don't Take Your Parents Advice Seriously by Qatar2022: 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2022
SultanOfPuna:

If your dad wake up and tell you to drimk sniper with him. Will you drink?

YES OR NO
I have said my own, with my dad's advice i am where i am today and be able to secure our family

(1) (Reply)

Men No More Marrying Girls Above 19 / The Undiluted (naked) Truth About Signing Those Court Wedding Documents / Pictures Of My Girlfriend And I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.