Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,815 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (96415 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by kjkajiji: 8:06am On Oct 26, 2023
Can i use it in place like Libya after buying it here in Nigeria?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Mansoor001234(m): 8:19am On Oct 26, 2023
Starlink
Open Box

Contact- 07055052039
Ilorin
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 5:50pm On Oct 26, 2023
I have an issue with my Starlink.

It keeps going between offline and online every 2 seconds in the app. The obstruction data shows that there is no obstruction.

I am communicating with their support and they say I should move the dishy about 10m from my current location.

`Taking a look at your connection, we have detected that there may be a source of interference in your area. This could be disrupting your service, resulting in outages and low speeds.
If it is feasible, we recommend moving your user terminal about ~30 feet / ~10 meters away to a new location.`
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by CavendishPlex: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2023
Ayomipoe:
I have an issue with my Starlink.

It keeps going between offline and online every 2 seconds in the app. The obstruction data shows that there is no obstruction.

I am communicating with their support and they say I should move the dishy about 10m from my current location.

`Taking a look at your connection, we have detected that there may be a source of interference in your area. This could be disrupting your service, resulting in outages and low speeds.
If it is feasible, we recommend moving your user terminal about ~30 feet / ~10 meters away to a new location.`

If your dishy is close to your roof, I'll suggest you move it higher as that may be the source of your interference since you said there's no obstruction as seen on the app. Try this and see if there's any improvement.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 6:58pm On Oct 26, 2023
My dishy is right on my roof.
My other major issue is with the WIFI router, when doing the wifi range stuff with the app. Even right next to the router it still shows the internet as being poor.
The offline stuff is also not being reported in the statistics. The internet seems to work, but I have not had a meeting yet, so I can't tell how bad it is.

CavendishPlex:

If your dishy is close to your roof, I'll suggest you move it higher as that may be the source of your interference since you said there's no obstruction as seen on the app. Try this and see if there's any improvement.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by seunpayne(m): 8:45pm On Oct 26, 2023
So I just dey reason with my wife this evening o. For those of us that paid in dollars back when the kit first became available. We paid $600 o. That was roughly 450k depending on how you got forex and at what exchange rate.

Today that is at least 780k if the price didn’t change. Add the 20% discount and that’s about 624k.

But because you are paying in Naira, Starlink can be gotten for 300k today.

So it’s basically 50% cheaper to buy in Nigeria.

No point to these musings…just my random thoughts. Starlink has been amazing by the way.

9 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 4:08am On Oct 27, 2023
Leemekzy:

Starlinks takes on 50-75 watts
For the Standard Starlink. High performance ones gulps up to 150w. Good thing is not available in Nigeria. Maybe on special demand one can get it here.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 4:09am On Oct 27, 2023
Leemekzy:

Not true
it's true for High Performance Starlinks, though.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 9:49am On Oct 27, 2023
seunpayne:
So I just dey reason with my wife this evening o. For those of us that paid in dollars back when the kit first became available. We paid $600 o. That was roughly 450k depending on how you got forex and at what exchange rate.

Today that is at least 780k if the price didn’t change. Add the 20% discount and that’s about 624k.

But because you are paying in Naira, Starlink can be gotten for 300k today.

So it’s basically 50% cheaper to buy in Nigeria.

No point to these musings…just my random thoughts. Starlink has been amazing by the way.
Also thought that too. However, it does its job and does it well. So it's not a big deal as getting it then was when I needed it.

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by otis54(m): 12:33pm On Oct 27, 2023
Just placed my order using gtbank Naira Mastercard. At first try, it didn’t work but on the second try it was successful. Only thing I did different the second time was I made sure I typed my name written on my card exactly the same way and in Capital letters all through

4 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 2:24pm On Oct 27, 2023
That was what made me buy it.
It seemed like a no brainer. Besides that, Airtel wanted to finish me. They are sending me a new router. I'll see if that fixes my issue.
ibawon:

Also thought that too. However, it does its job and does it well. So it's not a big deal as getting it then was when I needed it.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by oliverwrites: 12:33pm On Oct 28, 2023
I may be returning my starlink and asking for a refund. The network is very poor. Streaming football matches is often annoying.

Always buffering

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 1:03pm On Oct 28, 2023
oliverwrites:
I may be returning my starlink and asking for a refund. The network is very poor. Streaming football matches is often annoying.

Always buffering
Starlink is excellent for streaming, even with 4k and 8k videos. The challenge you are having has to do with the streaming link/server. This issue is common with some IPTV providers, as they don't have adequate servers to handle their traffic.

If you want to know how good your Starlink connection is, go on YouTube and Stream 8k videos, it should stream seamlessly. This is because streaming services like YouTube have farms of servers all over the world.

Always remember that, to stream even a live 8k video, you require less than 100Mbps connection. Meanwhile, Starlink is typically way faster than that.

4 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by oliverwrites: 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2023
BadMaster:

Starlink is excellent for streaming, even with 4k and 8k videos. The challenge you are having has to do with the streaming link/server. This issue is common with some IPTV providers, as they don't have adequate servers to handle their traffic.

If you want to know how good your Starlink connection is, go on YouTube and Stream 8k videos, it should stream seamlessly. This is because streaming services like YouTube have farms of servers all over the world.

Always remember that, to stream even a live 8k video, you require less than 100Mbps connection. Meanwhile, Starlink is typically way faster than that.
I have not achieved up to 100mbps in more than 10 days. Beginning to piss me off.

See the attachment.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 4:02pm On Oct 28, 2023
oliverwrites:
I have not achieved up to 100mbps in more than 10 days. Beginning to piss me off.

See the attachment.
There's something wrong somewhere. This is horrible. Check for obstructions, make sure your dishy is at the highest point, preferably the roof. I hope your dishy or cable isn't damaged though.

If you have done all else and the performance remains this way, I would suggest you initiate a 'return and refund', since you're still within the 30day window of return. The process is seamless. Starlink processes refunds instantly.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 4:14pm On Oct 28, 2023
I think something is wrong too. Check your obstruction data. Maybe you should also run the advanced speedtest to see if the bottleneck is your device itself.
BadMaster:

There's something wrong somewhere. This is horrible. Check for obstructions, make sure your dishy is at the highest point, preferably the roof. I hope your dishy or cable isn't damaged though.

If you have done all else and the performance remains this way, I would suggest you initiate a 'return and refund', since you're still within the 30day window of return. The process is seamless. Starlink processes refunds instantly.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by oliverwrites: 4:15pm On Oct 28, 2023
BadMaster:

I actually only want solution not a refund. I need the device more than the money.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 5:47pm On Oct 28, 2023
oliverwrites:
I actually only want solution not a refund. I need the device more than the money.
I had to return the first two Starlink kits I got. I initially thought they were faulty, not knowing that outages were normal, except when they are very frequent and long. However, your outages data might tell us a lot about what's going on with your kit, especially the 2s+ and the 5s+ outages.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 7:31am On Oct 29, 2023
oliverwrites:

See the attachment.

There must be an issue somewhere... See my own

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by oliverwrites: 8:56am On Oct 29, 2023
georgee:

Where are you based?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 12:09pm On Oct 29, 2023
I am not sure it is dependent on your area.
I am in Lagos and I regularly get 130Mbps. That 10Mbps you are getting is very unusual. Check your obstruction data with the app and move the dish if need be. You can also send a message to their support if you think your dish is defective.
oliverwrites:
Where are you based?

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2023
oliverwrites:
Where are you based?
Surulere Lagos
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2023
oliverwrites:
Where are you based?
You shouldn't be having that terrible speed no matter where you are in Nigeria, so location consideration shouldn't even come up. To be honest, you are not helping yourself.

First of all, you were asked to check for obstructions, you didn't indicate as to whether you have done so and there's no obstruction. You haven't told us where your dish is placed.

Secondly, I asked you to show us your outages stats, you still didn't. I even showed you sample screenshots of outages stats. Unusual outages, especially those above 5s+ happening frequently could mean a defective or damaged cable or dishy, that's if there are no obstructions, bad weather, etc.

3 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ugreat(m): 2:46pm On Oct 29, 2023
ugreat:

I just did. I applied for their MasterCard since I don't know if their Verve can do it. MasterCard takes 3 working days minimum

This worked greatly. Thanks guys
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by oliverwrites: 5:31pm On Oct 29, 2023
BadMaster:

You shouldn't be having that terrible speed no matter where you are in Nigeria, so location consideration shouldn't even come up. To be honest, you are not helping yourself.

First of all, you were asked to check for obstructions, you didn't indicate as to whether you have done so and there's no obstruction. You haven't told us where your dish is placed.

Secondly, I asked you to show us your outages stats, you still didn't. I even showed you sample screenshots of outages stats. Unusual outages, especially those above 5s+ happening frequently could mean a defective or damaged cable or dishy, that's if there are no obstructions, bad weather, etc.
I didn't reply because I was trying to figure how to check for obstructions turned out I need to set up the app on my phone.

See some attachment below

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2023
oliverwrites:
I didn't reply because I was trying to figure how to check for obstructions turned out I need to set up the app on my phone.

See some attachment below
No worries. From the screenshot above, I don't see anything unusual with your obstruction stats. However, I was hoping you would show the 5s+ tab, not the less than 1s outages.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 9:29am On Oct 30, 2023
kjkajiji:
Can i use it in place like Libya after buying it here in Nigeria?
Should work, but only the roaming option of 49k will work.
I know people get from Nigeria and use roaming to work in Burkina, Chad, Mali etc... You've to risk it and see if it'll work in Libya.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 9:44am On Oct 30, 2023
georgee:

Starlink router is quite poor. Now I only use it just to power the dish, shikena.

Using the LAN adapter I used a cheap N40k Wi-Fi 5 router, and I get 300 Mbps regularly, and the router emits readable 5 GHz always unlike starlink router that only gives you 2.4ghz mostly and the 5ghz appears only little times except you've a device that can read the 5ghz frequency which most phones/pcs can't read. The cheap router's range goes far further than starlink router can reach. Imagine what a costlier WiFi 6 router will do.

Guess what, i live for bush for Niger state just bear border with Benin Republic.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 4:00pm On Oct 30, 2023
ask4bk:

Starlink router is quite poor. Now I only use it just to power the dish, shikena.

Using the LAN adapter I used a cheap N40k Wi-Fi 5 router, and I get 300 Mbps regularly, and the router emits readable 5 GHz always unlike starlink router that only gives you 2.4ghz mostly and the 5ghz appears only little times except you've a device that can read the 5ghz frequency which most phones/pcs can't read. The cheap router's range goes far further than starlink router can reach. Imagine what a costlier WiFi 6 router will do.

Guess what, i live for bush for Niger state just bear border with Benin Republic.

Random test

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Tonyace25: 7:06pm On Oct 30, 2023
Hi guys, I bought 2 starlink for my friends with my account, I hope I won't be charged for their monthly sub from my account.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by CavendishPlex: 9:25am On Oct 31, 2023
Tonyace25:
Hi guys, I bought 2 starlink for my friends with my account, I hope I won't be charged for their monthly sub from my account.

Except you remove your card details from the account, expect a debit for the monthly subscription.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Tonyace25: 2:03pm On Oct 31, 2023
I thought it will be charged with the account is activated with. Because these people will add their account on the app while setting it up

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (51) (Reply)

2go Downlaod, Tips, Star Cheats And Mobile Chats / If You Buy This N4.9million Solarin, God Will Not Forgive You (photo) / Free And Easy Way To Get Ur 2go Password And Username Back

Viewing this topic: VitoCorleone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.