Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,299 members, 7,819,010 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (97140 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 10:48pm On Nov 24, 2023
en0uwem:

EU or US version?
Don't know. All I know é de work de give me over 350mbps
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by noCAP(m): 11:28pm On Nov 24, 2023
HIbreed:
Check it out. Very cheap router. Bought in 2019 when Dollar was still friendly grin
Interesting. I expected the starlink router to be more superior than any other router, but for some reason, it's not
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by noCAP(m): 11:29pm On Nov 24, 2023
HIbreed:
BTW my mumu S20 Ultra just registered the 5GHz channel. This was the speed below.
crazy. And I dey happy for my 170mbps cheesy
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by morikee: 6:01am On Nov 25, 2023
HIbreed:
Can't wait for my Asus RT-AX86U Pro to land make I follow you enjoy.

You na rich Man you bought the most expensive Router Boss
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by morikee: 6:03am On Nov 25, 2023
ask4bk:
Be like starlink is getting faster oh. shocked shocked

And I tested this while another person was using the WiFi.

Note: using LAN adapter and tp-link Archer C80
noCAP, morikee

Omo this is good o. I finally got the 5Ghz after splitting for like 5 times Samsung S21 Ultra see am now
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by morikee: 6:12am On Nov 25, 2023
ask4bk:

If you Dey Lagos you fit still no reach this my speed. If you get 220 for lag you suppose happy.
Me na coz I live alone for inside deep forest alone for Niger state, na him I de get this speed.

Me seff mine located at Niger State Erina at Shiroro Remote Area
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 8:15am On Nov 25, 2023
morikee:

You na rich Man you bought the most expensive Router Boss
Not even expensive if you compare it with other high end routers in the matket.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 8:16am On Nov 25, 2023
morikee:

Omo this is good o. I finally got the 5Ghz after splitting for like 5 times Samsung S21 Ultra see am now
Samsung na cray cray dey worry them. Mine lost it totally this morning grin
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 8:18am On Nov 25, 2023
In my short stint as a Starlink user, I realized that the speed increases as the dish scans and get optimum service to your location. As a new user, you might get ridiculous speed which gets better by the day.

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by morikee: 8:21am On Nov 25, 2023
HIbreed:
Samsung na cray cray dey worry them. Mine lost it totally this morning grin

E don go again this morning 😀 na to get third-party Router sure
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by en0uwem: 10:56am On Nov 25, 2023
ask4bk:

Don't know. All I know é de work de give me over 350mbps
it's close to where they print the barcode and serial number on the back of the router
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 11:21am On Nov 25, 2023
morikee:

E don go again this morning 😀 na to get third-party Router sure
Thats for sure. I dey see the poor 5GHz from my cheap TP-LINK Router with my Samsung. the speed is fair at 80Mbps. Make I use am hold body before my Asus land.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by morikee: 12:17pm On Nov 25, 2023
HIbreed:
Thats for sure. I dey see the poor 5GHz from my cheap TP-LINK Router with my Samsung. the speed is fair at 80Mbps. Make I use am hold body before my Asus land.

E don come back sha with it i dey see over 240Mbps

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Mightyify(m): 5:55pm On Nov 25, 2023
Don't be a rush to get the adapter and tp link router.... I have it though but I noticed the speed normalised after 7days of activation. The router is Also helpful in the sense that it offers Ethernet ports, wider coverage and many router cool features.

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by phrezzz: 12:03pm On Nov 26, 2023
HIbreed:
BTW my mumu S20 Ultra just registered the 5GHz channel. This was the speed below.
Bro how did you add 5Ghz? I use a samsung S22+
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 1:41pm On Nov 26, 2023
phrezzz:
Bro how did you add 5Ghz? I use a samsung S22+
The thing is not consistent, but I found out that splitting and unsplitting it somehow does the job.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by noCAP(m): 7:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
HIbreed:
Check it out. Very cheap router. Bought in 2019 when Dollar was still friendly grin
Does this router show the 5ghz abi na still the 2.4ghz dey show for your Samsung?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 8:10pm On Nov 26, 2023
noCAP:
Does this router show the 5ghz abi na still the 2.4ghz dey show for your Samsung?
it shows 5GHz but doesn't exceed 100Mbps. Just hanging around 70-95Mbps. My old Hynetflex Mtn router do reach 200Mbps.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by noCAP(m): 8:32pm On Nov 26, 2023
HIbreed:
it shows 5GHz but doesn't exceed 100Mbps. Just hanging around 70-95Mbps. My old Hynetflex Mtn router do reach 200Mbps.
Ehen. Because I saw someone say something about not still seeing the 5ghz even after buying the tp link router
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 9:56pm On Nov 26, 2023
noCAP:
Ehen. Because I saw someone say something about not still seeing the 5ghz even after buying the tp link router
It's possible though. See the list of the available network in my setup. I wired the Mtn Hynetflex router to the Starlink router, then wired it to Tp-Link through one of the four available Lan.

I do get consistent 5GHz channel and 2.4GHz channel from the Hynetflex router that hit maximum speed of up to 200Mbps but get maximum speed of up to 95Mbps from the TP-Link Router.

As am writing this, the Starlink 5GHz channel is no where to be found on my Samsung and other 5G enabled phones in the house but visible on my two gaming handheld laptop.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 4:49pm On Nov 27, 2023
noCAP:
Its possible to not see the 5ghz on tp-link if you didn't set it up well. While connecting the tp-link with starlink via adapter, you've to choose a high channel for the 5ghz. If you use a low one like starlink does, you won't be able see the 5ghz on some devices. Hlbreed
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 4:52pm On Nov 27, 2023
HIbreed:
It's possible though. See the list of the available network in my setup. I wired the Mtn Hynetflex router to the Starlink router, then wired it to Tp-Link through one of the four available Lan.

I do get consistent 5GHz channel and 2.4GHz channel from the Hynetflex router that hit maximum speed of up to 200Mbps but get maximum speed of up to 95Mbps from the TP-Link Router.

As am writing this, the Starlink 5GHz channel is no where to be found on my Samsung and other 5G enabled phones in the house but visible on my two gaming handheld laptop.
Note that some routers limit the speed from their LAN ports. I've one that is capped at 100mbps. So anything you connect to the ports, even if your net is 1000mbps it'll only give you less than 100mbps.
That should be the case for your hynetflex ports
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2023
ask4bk:

Note that some routers limit the speed from their LAN ports. I've one that is capped at 100mbps. So anything you connect to the ports, even if your net is 1000mbps it'll only give you less than 100mbps.
That should be the case for your hynetflex ports
I think you meant that should be the case for the TP-Link Router, because the Hynetflex 5.0GHz channel gives me over 200Mbps
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by noCAP(m): 9:22pm On Nov 27, 2023
ask4bk:

Its possible to not see the 5ghz on tp-link if you didn't set it up well. While connecting the tp-link with starlink via adapter, you've to choose a high channel for the 5ghz. If you use a low one like starlink does, you won't be able see the 5ghz on some devices. Hlbreed
I no understand this. Choose high channel how?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 10:23pm On Nov 27, 2023
Hello house, I will like to voice out some disconcerting challenge and hopefully get a fix for it here. As it is, Starlink has been a gamechanger to the cyberspace world and has offered people in rural region broadband internet access. However, I have had mixed reception about it.

The 150Mbps promised by Starlink prior to ordering it was true at best, and I had even gotten up to 270Mbps at times with impressive low latency, all that obtained at fair price. But there is one recurring problem I have experienced which threatened to incite in me a lukewarm views about the service.

Starlink has consistently given me a shocking varying speed as far apart as 170Mbps to 530Kbps in just 30 seconds interval most times. I have resorted to the internet for more broadened knowledge and found out that I wasn't alone in the clutter.

Now, as I gingerly sought for a solution to the brand new problem, I discovered a warning message from the Starlink app that my Starlink is partially obstructed, and that interruption should be expected every 4 minutes.

Before anyone ponders and hint at possible obstruction of my dish, I think I should reveal that my dish was installed at the topmost area of my roof, and there were no tall buildings or towers nearby.

Is this normal? Am I reacting too much? What could be the cause of these outages? Is anyone having similar issue, and what can I do to get this off of me.

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2023
HIbreed:
I think you meant that should be the case for the TP-Link Router, because the Hynetflex 5.0GHz channel gives me over 200Mbps
The wifi, yes. But maybe not the ports you connected the tp-link too. LAN Ports are limited in some devices
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 10:49pm On Nov 27, 2023
noCAP:
I no understand this. Choose high channel how?
5ghz is beamed in channels. Samsung and some devices only see channels of over 100. Starlink 5ghz channel is about 40.
If you don't understand router and WiFi setup very well you won't understand what I'm saying. If you check well in the setup of 5ghz you'll see option to choose channels. Some routers don't give u that option
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ask4bk(m): 11:00pm On Nov 27, 2023
HIbreed:
Hello house, I will like to voice out some disconcerting challenge and hopefully get a fix for it here. As it is, Starlink has been a gamechanger to the cyberspace world and has offered people in rural region broadband internet access. However, I have had mixed reception about it.

The 150Mbps promised by Starlink prior to ordering it was true at best, and I had even gotten up to 270Mbps at times with impressive low latency, all that obtained at fair price. But there is one recurring problem I have experienced which threatened to incite in me a lukewarm views about the service.

Starlink has consistently given me a shocking varying speed as far apart as 170Mbps to 530Kbps in just 30 seconds interval most times. I have resorted to the internet for more broadened knowledge and found out that I wasn't alone in the clutter.

Now, as I gingerly sought for a solution to the brand new problem, I discovered a warning message from the Starlink app that my Starlink is partially obstructed, and that interruption should be expected every 4 minutes.

Before anyone ponders and hint at possible obstruction of my dish, I think I should reveal that my dish was installed at the topmost area of my roof, and there were no tall buildings or towers nearby.

Is this normal? Am I reacting too much? What could be the cause of these outages? Is anyone having similar issue, and what can I do to get this off of me.

Your starlink has no problem. It's working like everyone's.
Mine is installed like yours and still have red dots in the obstruction place. It's not a problem.
I don't have the "expect interruption in X minutes" here, but other places I've taken my starlink to I got that message, I ignored it and my starlink works well. If it truly affects performance, then still change your satellite position even if it looks very clear from obstruction. If it doesn't disturb ur performance, then ignore it.

I think you are part of those that have very unrealistic perfect high expectation of starlink. Let's not forget it's still a satellite internet. Even cluster of clouds can and will affect ping or speed or even create obstruction. A bird can too.

Enjoy your Internet! You are fine!

3 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 11:12pm On Nov 27, 2023
ask4bk:

Your starlink has no problem. It's working like everyone's.
Mine is installed like yours and still have red dots in the obstruction place. It's not a problem.
I don't have the "expect interruption in X minutes" here, but other places I've taken my starlink to I got that message, I ignored it and my starlink works well. If it truly affects performance, then still change your satellite position even if it looks very clear from obstruction. If it doesn't disturb ur performance, then ignore it.

I think you are part of those that have very unrealistic perfect high expectation of starlink. Let's not forget it's still a satellite internet. Even cluster of clouds can and will affect ping or speed or even create obstruction. A bird can too.

Enjoy your Internet! You are fine!
Thank you for enlightening me more. I will have to change the position if it persists.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 5:32am On Nov 28, 2023
My Hynetflex router seems the culprit.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by miracle1997: 12:20pm On Nov 28, 2023
HIbreed:
My Hynetflex router seems the culprit.

How did u connect your starlink to your hynetflex and tp link
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by HIbreed(m): 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2023
miracle1997:

How did u connect your starlink to your hynetflex and tp link
I used Starlink adapter which I ordered together with my Starlink.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (51) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy S4 To Launch In March / Lady Mistakenly Buys N15k MTN Airtime Instead Of N1500 / The Address And Hot Line Of Our Carlcare Service Center In Nigeria.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.