Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (98298 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 12:41pm On Apr 27
I have used kuda.. They just debit 51 naira and the transaction doesn't go through
606thearena:

Use kuda . It will go through.fund your kuda account and use their virtual card .
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Leemekzy: 12:44pm On Apr 27
justinguru:
I have used kuda.. They just debit 51 naira and the transaction doesn't go through

Use Ecobank.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 1:07pm On Apr 27
At this point i think it's from Nigerian banks.. I have used wema, gtb, uba, firstbank, zenith, kuda, chipper, even dollar cards no one work... I doubt ecobank will make a deference.. I will see if i can lay my hands on my ecobank card
Leemekzy:

Use Ecobank.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by makjo900: 1:58pm On Apr 27
I've ordered mine from jumia, waiting for it to be delivered

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by zebszebs: 3:58pm On Apr 27
justinguru:
Same here.. I bought off jumia.. Tried over 10 Nigerian bank cards none seem to work... I just tire

Apart from Kuda and Stanbic, which other bank card works with thing?

So I will have to go and open a new bank account just for Starlink?

Ejo e ep me!!!
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Leemekzy: 3:58pm On Apr 27
justinguru:
At this point i think it's from Nigerian banks.. I have used wema, gtb, uba, firstbank, zenith, kuda, chipper, even dollar cards no one work... I doubt ecobank will make a deference.. I will see if i can lay my hands on my ecobank card

Ok
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 4:22pm On Apr 27
When yours arrives do well to let us know what card worked successfully with activating it
makjo900:
I've ordered mine from jumia, waiting for it to be delivered
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Caspry5: 6:20pm On Apr 27
606thearena:
Good afternoon guys , pls I like to know the solar set up that can powered my tv , starlink decoder. , my lg boom speaker and maybe like three bulbs . For at least 24 hours or 12 minimum.what figure should I be budgeting for or is there a power bank that can only power my starlink for minimum of 12 hours , I would be waiting for your suggestion and ideas guys or those that have the kind of setup I want .

Roughly 1m will give you 247 power with such arrangement. That includes other appliances especially during the day time when your solar is fully charged. From 4pm you can get roughly 10 to 12hrs of power depending on your usage before dawn.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by xyjoe(m): 7:16pm On Apr 27
justinguru:
Same here.. I bought off jumia.. Tried over 10 Nigerian bank cards none seem to work... I just tire

Bros.

I hope you have been able to sort the subscription issue?

I need to get clarity from you. During the set up the starlink, you are asked to login with your email address and password was supposed to be the email tired to your starlink account when you purchased from starlink official website. How did you bypass this stage since you ordered from Jumia?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by SetrakusRa(m): 7:28pm On Apr 27
xyjoe:

Bros.

I need to get clarity from you. During the set up the starlink, you are asked to login with your email address and password was supposed to be the email tired to your starlink account when you purchased from starlink official website. How did you bypass this stage since you ordered from Jumia?

starlink.com/activate

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by xyjoe(m): 8:41pm On Apr 27
Thank you.
SetrakusRa:

starlink.com/activate
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 10:08pm On Apr 27
I haven't been able to make payment yet.. For your case after your visit starlink.com/activate then put your kit number and continue as new user and follow the rest of the process.. If you are able to make payment with any of the Nigerian bank card do well to let me know so i can also activate my account.. My device is just lying there for the past 1 week
xyjoe:

Bros.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by easyyoke: 10:44pm On Apr 27
zebszebs:

Apart from Kuda and Stanbic, which other bank card works with thing?

So I will have to go and open a new bank account just for Starlink?

Ejo e ep me!!!

I use my Opay cards and no issues. Have you tried opay?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by zebszebs: 11:14pm On Apr 27
easyyoke:

Please can you verify that Opay works?
I dont have Opay but can get it if its verified it works.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 11:41pm On Apr 27
Personally when i put my opay card it doesn't even recognise the number... I now read somewhere that for verve cards to work it has to be a 19 digits my opsy is 16 digit verve.. I then used my firstbank which has 19 digit verve card and it didnt work..
easyyoke:

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by SetrakusRa(m): 2:48pm On Apr 28
justinguru:
I haven't been able to make payment yet.. For your case after your visit starlink.com/activate then put your kit number and continue as new user and follow the rest of the process.. If you are able to make payment with any of the Nigerian bank card do well to let me know so i can also activate my account.. My device is just lying there for the past 1 week

I used FCMB MasterCard to pay for my subscription, 2 weeks ago.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by xyjoe(m): 4:05pm On Apr 28
I have tried GTB, Providus, Acess, zenith, fbn and UBA, some business account and some personal account yet I am still unable to make payment.

The only card left to try with now is dollar card and I also noticed that the monthly subscription fee for roaming plan in usd is 150USD which is way higher than the ₦49,000 they quoted for the plan in Naira.

Somebody using GTB should please load up to 250k into his card and try again
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 4:19pm On Apr 28
if you have already activated your account before and paid a previous subscription.. Subsequent subscription will be charged from that card saved in your profiile.. Where the issue is first time subscribtion
SetrakusRa:

I used FCMB MasterCard to pay for my subscription, 2 weeks ago.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 4:21pm On Apr 28
I have been able to pay the 38,000 naira standard plan.. I collected a new uba atm card on Friday as my old one has expired for my current account don't if that matters though.. Then today around 2am i paid for subscription and it went through successfully and my starlink works now
xyjoe:
I have tried GTB, Providus, Acess, zenith, fbn and UBA, some business account and some personal account yet I am still unable to make payment.

The only card left to try with now is dollar card and I also noticed that the monthly subscription fee for roaming plan in usd is 150USD which is way higher than the ₦49,000 they quoted for the plan in Naira.

Somebody using GTB should please load up to 250k into his card and try again
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by SourYoghurt: 4:46pm On Apr 28
Caspry5:

Roughly 1m will give you 247 power with such arrangement. That includes other appliances especially during the day time when your solar is fully charged. From 4pm you can get roughly 10 to 12hrs of power depending on your usage before dawn.
can you shed more light on this, I thought they said the system uses 150w - 70w of power supply, I just wanted a dedicated power supply that should be able to run it for 24 hours straight, let's assume I intentionally decided to unplug the panels from charging the battery. What kind of battery should I buy and what capacity, how many panels and watts. I'll appreciate if you can provide a breakdown.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by SetrakusRa(m): 4:56pm On Apr 28
justinguru:
if you have already activated your account before and paid a previous subscription.. Subsequent subscription will be charged from that card saved in your profiile.. Where the issue is first time subscribtion

this was first time. almost 4 of my other cards failed (even after they charged N51), but this worked.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by zebszebs: 8:50pm On Apr 28
Has anyone succeeded using Zenith cards?

Going to open a new bank account just to be able to make an online payment sounds wild to me.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 4:12pm On Apr 30
Bonzojoko:
my Airtel internet ping/latency is usually 40-60ms to Nigerian servers but when I play online games which connects to foreign servers, I get 140-160ms. The Nigerian starlink internet user said on his YouTube video comment section that he gets around 50ms ping when he connects to Nigerian servers.. that means online games which connects to foreign servers will also have a ping of around 150ms when using starlink internet from Nigeria. Online games are playable when the internet ping is below 200ms but the lower the ping, the better. Ping above 200ms causes lag which messes up your gameplay. If only game developers will create African servers for their games but I guess Africa is useless to them. South African gamers are also complaining they get 150ms while playing online games which is unfair considering you are playing against European gamers who normally get 20ms ping.

I have this issue with dream league soccer, when you complain they will ask you to get a better network
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 4:40pm On Apr 30
litaninja:
600$ for initial setup, that was the pricing I saw on their pre-order that i decided they were still joking. Make dem hold the internet.
The problem with nigerian 5g is that it'll be fine for 6 months and once more users switch, the providers never upgrade their capacity to follow suit. In one year, nigerian 5g will be doing speeds of 3.5MBPS and they'll start drumming adverts for 6g.

Nuisances.

I doubt Nigeria has 4G sef.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 4:43pm On Apr 30
profmallor:
Oh yes I agree. I would love to lay my hands on one if I could. However, from an economic perspective its a No no. If Elon Musk is allowed to disrupt the Telco space, at least 40% of the revenue generated by all the Telcos would disappear. Thats means layoffs, reducing in taxes been paied to government and the effect would cascade to all areas of the economy. All he would be selling are modems, he doesnt need any form of infrastructure on ground, he doesnt need staff, wont pay much as taxes and wont be needing to hire anyone either. Elon Musk is a very dangerous man if allowed would kill local competition if given a chance, he is ruthless. If he is serious let him come on ground and start to invest in some form of infrastructure, let him buy a 5G spectrum to start with and come to Nigeria, he has money anyway.

You people talk on speculations, how many people can afford the price?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 4:46pm On Apr 30
Parachoko:
Gbam!!

MTN, Airtel etc will have no choice but to level up when they start losing some of their heavy data subscribers.

I doubt they will, infact more heavy users will continue to leave these guys
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 4:53pm On Apr 30
The guy has no clue, I can finish that 30k sub in a day. Just download like 2 PS5 or Steam deck games and it’s gone. Then imagine adding Netflix and YouTube, because of data most of us can’t watch YouTube above 480p resolution when the rest of the world is watching in 1080p minimum.

Nigerian networks can't play 320p, your 480p is even high.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 5:01pm On Apr 30
FelixFelicis:
I've seen an address 3km from me that is available, you won't believe angry thanks for the info.

I was having this problem until someone recommended https://maps.google.com/pluscodes/ it uses GPS co-ordinates from your phone.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 5:01pm On Apr 30
Mackie1:

Yeah.. Saw that too, seems legit but 1.2M is ridiculous if they are serious about getting anyone to use their service

FAKE LINK
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 5:45pm On Apr 30
oliverwrites:
Exactly. I no dey drink, I no dey smoke, I can't remember if I ever womanized ( since GOD can't remember ) and airtel no go make me enjoy football and movies in peace. I am liberated for GOOD thanks to you all.

You dey use IPTV?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 6:00pm On Apr 30
ask4bk:

Random test

abeg wetin be that your external router name?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 6:17pm On Apr 30
ask4bk:

The speed is great, but who needs all that in day to day usage. I only enjoyed the speed when downloading one game for my ps5 at 300 Mbps and it finished in no time. But I don't do much downloads. Mostly streaming and they use at just 10mbps.

The mtn 5g deal is nice though. With starlink highest I've used in a month is 500gb coz many used it then. What drinks most of my data is IPTV streaming since I stream all my TV, football and movie needs in HD. If the mtn 5g speed is good, then 30k for 300gb is nice deal.
Only problem was that I was in Abuja and mtn 5g speed was like 14mbps or even as low as 1mbps. What kind of 5g is that? How was the speed in Lagos?

Its surprising that whenever new network version comes out Nigerian networks have it without any additional infrastructures and the likes, me I believe we have not passed 3G in this country

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (Reply)

The Head Phones And Earbuds Thread / UPDATED: Cheapest Tariff Plans For Calls & SMS Across All Networks / Mtn Changes Recharge Card Loading Pattern And Reduces Card Pin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.