Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (96528 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 1:14pm On Apr 21
PotatoSalad:

I have to disagree, my boss.
Range is 3x as far and speeds are significantly higher compared when connected to the TP Link Archer AX23 or before bypassing Starlink.
I have to believe that the AX73 is taking full advantage of Starlink's capabilities.

Test at 12:51pm

Calm down sir. I just told you that my Starlink isn't bypassed and I also do 300+Mbps during non-peak hours. The same for many other people who have no external routers. We are at different locations and peak periods would differ. Also, If you're on Residential, you get full speed at all times. On roaming, not quite so. It's not a router thing; as no router on earth can make Starlink go past what its modem was designed for.

Improved range: Yes
Improved speed (in dead zones): Yes
More speed than what Starlink was designed for: No
Same speed without this router possible: Yes
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 1:17pm On Apr 21
QuoteJust1nce:

Calm down sir. I just told you that my Starlink isn't bypassed and I also do 300+Mbps during non-peak hours. The same for many other people who have no external routers. We are at different locations and peak periods would differ. Also, If you're on Residential, you get full speed at all times. On roaming, not quite so. It's not a router thing; as no router on earth can make Starlink go past what its modem was designed for.

Improved range: Yes
Improved speed (in dead zones): Yes
More speed than what Starlink was designed for: No
Same speed without this router possible: Yes
Aight. ✌🏽
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 1:19pm On Apr 21
tivta:

Since you are in Enugu the speed is bound to be higher than Lagos that is already crowded
How many Starlink subscribers in naija to make lagos crowded? 🤔
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by tivta(m): 1:21pm On Apr 21
PotatoSalad:

My brother don't think about it oh, why do you think there's a song called elon musk boys lol...

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 1:34pm On Apr 21
tivta:

My brother don't think about it oh, why do you think there's a song called elon musk boys lol...
Leave that thing bro.
If atall, the number of Starlink users in Nigeria is not encouraging, not even to think of congestion. We don't have the numbers at all lol.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 1:44pm On Apr 21
PotatoSalad:

Lagos already at capacity (for a long time now). What does that tell you?
Oh you're in Enugu (residential, I presume); there was even no point for this.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 1:48pm On Apr 21
QuoteJust1nce:

Lagos already at capacity (for a long time now). What does that tell you?
Oh you're in Enugu (residential, I presume); there was even no point for this.
Lagos don reach capacity sinceeee vis-a-vis deployed satellites
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 1:50pm On Apr 21
georgee:

Lagos don reach capacity sinceeee vis-a-vis deployed satellites

Na everyday I dey refresh Starlink map; just to go back to Residential. grin
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by ibawon(m): 3:40pm On Apr 21
tivta:

If you enter Computer Village see how many Starlink them card!
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by GBOLAGBURUGBURU(m): 4:05pm On Apr 21
Nnaaa guys, sorry for posting here,
I just needed an active topic slightly related.

I’m about you pay 150k annually for 1.5TB 5g router.

I guess my question is has anyone done this before, is it worth it?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 4:26pm On Apr 21
GBOLAGBURUGBURU:

I have done it severely. Concerning your question, it depends on how much data you use per month. I use an average of 1TB per month, so to me, it isn't worth it.

My only advice to you is, if you can afford Starlink, get it now, and forget about MTN.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by BadMaster: 4:38pm On Apr 21
QuoteJust1nce:

The speed is not enhanced by the router. You'll get the same speed on the 5GHz (most especially during midnight). I have found Starlink to be incredibly fast at late hours, up to 300+Mbps. But during the day it drops to around 100+Mbps (especially for my area where it's at capacity and I'm on roaming)
Just like PotatoSalad, I have to disagree. I can't remember the last time I got 200Mbps when connected to the Starlink router. I have performed multiple tests and I could never get 200Mbps on my Starlink router anymore. However, with my Nokia Beacon 2 router, which is a WiFi 6 router, connected via ethernet, I get 200Mbps+, sometimes 300Mbps+. Both routers are in same location, and connected to their 5Ghz band.

Of course, when I got my Starlink in February last year, 200Mbps to 300Mbps wasn't difficult to achieve at the time. But when my location reached capacity and almost everywhere within my state, it became very difficult.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 5:44pm On Apr 21
BadMaster:

Just like PotatoSalad, I have to disagree. I can't remember the last time I got 200Mbps when connected to the Starlink router. I have performed multiple tests and I could never get 200Mbps on my Starlink router anymore. However, with my Nokia Beacon 2 router, which is a WiFi 6 router, connected via ethernet, I get 200Mbps+, sometimes 300Mbps+. Both routers are in same location, and connected to their 5Ghz band.

Of course, when I got my Starlink in February last year, 200Mbps to 300Mbps wasn't difficult to achieve at the time. But when my location reached capacity and almost everywhere within my state, it became very difficult.

I also use a Nokia Beacon and there's practically no difference in experience.
In fact, as mentioned severally, I prefer to stay on the main Starlink router 5GHz;
For one, Xbox is permanently connected to main router and it hits minimum 250Mbps+ during downloads from GamePass.
My devices (mobile only) would only switch to the Nokia Beacon when upstairs. If you said the default 5GHz channel for Starlink is subjected to interference in your home which then drops speed; I might believe you. It could happen. But saying using a wifi 6 router WILL ALWAYS give more speed than the main router IS NOT PLAUSIBLE. I rest my case. I guess to each his own then.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 5:58pm On Apr 21
GBOLAGBURUGBURU:

1.5TB roughly equates to 125GB per month.
It's ONLY you that can answer the question if that would be enough.
For me, no. NBA 2K24 is close to 170GB install and around 40GB for subsequent updates;
not to mention Forza Horizon 5, Halo master chief and the rest.

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by PotatoSalad(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21
BadMaster:

Thank you.
You noticed I didn't want to argue.
Spent time running tests on the 3 routers.
Starlink router alone was good, and I saw increased speeds and range when I connected the TP Link Archer AX23. But my jaw fell on the floor immediately I connected the Archer AX73. I was like wtf. I had to run speedtest over and over again and results didn't change. I swapped Starlink ethernet btw the AX73 and AX23 and there was always a difference in speed.
He then said it was my location lmao.
Never got above 200mbps in the afternoon until now. Hitting steady 300mbps. What's next reason? SpaceX launched more Starlink satellites?

Like I told that guy before, whatever starlink had, the third party router took full advantage of the capability (speed, range, whatever)
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by 606thearena: 4:20am On Apr 22
Good morning guys I just place an order for my starlink from Jumia some days back will be expecting delivery morro , I’m very curious to know if I will be getting a one month free subscription upon activation ?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 7:55am On Apr 22
606thearena:
Good morning guys I just place an order for my starlink from Jumia some days back will be expecting delivery morro , I’m very curious to know if I will be getting a one month free subscription upon activation ?

Lol, where did Starlink ever promise free subscription (one month, for that matter) grin grin
you shall be greeeted with a debit alert immediately the dish wakes up and connects grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by 606thearena: 4:46pm On Apr 22
Good afternoon guys , I just picked my star link from Jumia , but there is a problem , the wire is very short and I live in an upstairs apartment, is there a way to go round it . I was expecting the wire to be very long but what I have here is very short and will not even get to my apartment roof .🥸🥸🥸. Pls guys I need your advise or suggestion anyone in this boat , how did you go about yours .
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 5:08pm On Apr 22
606thearena:
Good afternoon guys , I just picked my star link from Jumia , but there is a problem , the wire is very short and I live in an upstairs apartment, is there a way to go round it . I was expecting the wire to be very long but what I have here is very short and will not even get to my apartment roof .🥸🥸🥸. Pls guys I need your advise or suggestion anyone in this boat , how did you go about yours .

There you go

https://shop.starlink.com/products/ng-consumer-150-replacement-cable-gen2
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by 606thearena: 5:41pm On Apr 22
.. .
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by miracle1997: 6:13pm On Apr 22
606thearena:

Starlink now puts 50ft wire instead of 75ft

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by easyyoke: 9:41am On Apr 23
Does anybody have an idea of a way to pay for more than 1 month Starlink subscription? Maybe pay 2 or 3 months at once
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 10:30am On Apr 23
You cannot.
easyyoke:
Does anybody have an idea of a way to pay for more than 1 month Starlink subscription? Maybe pay 2 or 3 months at once
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Bbr2(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23
Fire TV Stick 4K 2nd Gen (8GB storage, 2GB RAM, Wi-Fi 6, supports Dolby Atmos audio, Bluetooth 5.2 + BLE, include Alexa Voice Remote)
Brand New Sealed
₦70,000

Available in Lagos
0 7 0 4 2 5 0 9 0 0 7
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by justinguru(m): 12:45pm On Apr 24
i just received my starlink , i have tried all the cards to pay for subscription .so i can activate it ..no one works ..what card do i use
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Ayomipoe(m): 2:20pm On Apr 24
Kuda works for me.
justinguru:
i just received my starlink , i have tried all the cards to pay for subscription .so i can activate it ..no one works ..what card do i use
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by zebszebs: 3:29pm On Apr 24
aieromon:

Yes, you should.

Starlink has distribution agreement with TD Africa and retailership agreement with Jumia for the Nigerian market.

https://group.jumia.com/news/starlink-and-jumia-collaborate-to-expand-internet-service-in-africa

https://techpoint.africa/2024/02/07/tdafrica-becomes-starlinks-distributor-africa/

The Starlink kit costs #440k on Konga and according to them doesn't come with the complimentary 1 month subscription, while buying directly from Starlink, it comes with a month subscription and costs #456k.

Was the Konga rep correct? Who has purchase this from Konga and is using it?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by zebszebs: 3:31pm On Apr 24
606thearena:

See this question I asked https://www.nairaland.com/7486765/spacex-starlink-internet-experience-lagos/45#129611761
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by zebszebs: 3:46pm On Apr 24
georgee:

There you go

https://shop.starlink.com/products/ng-consumer-150-replacement-cable-gen2

Did it come with a subscription of one month?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by makjo900: 4:45pm On Apr 24
Hello folks, I'm on the verge of buying starlink and I'm lagos based. Is there any advantage buying from starlink directly over konga? Also, is the package on konga or jumia full or I will need to buy extra kits?

I saw some other devices when I checked it on konga but don't know it's necessary. This made me wait so I can ask my people here for proper guidance. Thanks in advance
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by makjo900: 4:54pm On Apr 24
@Potatosalad
@Aeiromon
@Zebszebs
@606thearena
@Quotejust1nce
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by QuoteJust1nce: 5:03pm On Apr 24
makjo900:
Hello folks, I'm on the verge of buying starlink and I'm lagos based. Is there any advantage buying from starlink directly over konga? Also, is the package on konga or jumia full or I will need to buy extra kits?

I saw some other devices when I checked it on konga but don't know it's necessary. This made me wait so I can ask my people here for proper guidance. Thanks in advance

Same thing (afterall Konga didn't manufacture it, they're only reselling).
You probably want to measure the distance from dish point to router point; should you need to get a longer cable. People have reported a default 50ft long cable. And please no free month; your card would be charged once router wakes up. The free 30days actually means if you don't like it within 30 days; return and get 100% refund. You might also want to buy the ethernet adapter for wired internet connectivity via an external router. Good luck.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (51) (Reply)

If You Buy This N4.9million Solarin, God Will Not Forgive You (photo) / Free And Easy Way To Get Ur 2go Password And Username Back / Samsung Galaxy S4 To Launch In March

Viewing this topic: Nonso92(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.