Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas (17639 Views)

Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Amid Low Demand / Keyamo: LP ‘Riling Up’ Nigerians Against Judiciary Over Presidential Election / GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Agbegbaorogboye: 2:38pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:

You did not read the bit about how environmental laws and increased shipping costs affect the price

But then again, the solution has always been deregulation
Environmental laws from who? Shipping costs from who?
I keep asking you this so you can dissect facts from fiction.
Deregulation is not a solution. Getting our refineries working is the solution. No country as big as Nigeria is can survive on importation of its main energy and transport source

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 22, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Lol. That's what you tell yourself. I guess subsidy is the reason over 30bn has been spent on the refineries with no results.
Refinery not working is a technical/management issue not an economic issue.
No. I want fuel sold at the right price to protect the economy. The poor don't use as much fuel as the rich. But the poor feel the effects of an ailing economy more than the rich.

Then subsidy has to go so that fuel would be sold at the right price then.

Simple.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 22, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Environmental laws from who? Shipping costs from who?
I keep asking you this so you can dissect facts from fiction.
Deregulation is not a solution. Getting our refineries working is the solution. No country as big as Nigeria is can survive on importation of its main energy and transport source

No production without deregulation.

Make up your mind.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by alimiadedayo1: 2:40pm On Dec 22, 2022
AngusTV:

Exactly.

When GEJ wanted to do it, they thought he was wicked and didn't care about the people.

Subsidy removal was even used to campaign against him.

Now we are back to that discussion, at a time when the economy is bad and cost of living has risen.

How will the average Nigerian cope if the government take out subsidy.
God bless my brother, during the Jonathan era was the best time for us to remove fuel subsidy but the same government kicked and used it against him.. but now reverse is the case they are paying for their sins of lies and deceit and if they try it now I don't know what will happen maybe there will be revolution cause we are sitting on a time bomb..people are really suffering and the economic is very harsh.
removal susibidy now is not the best thing to do because there will be increase in insecurity and can plunge this country into another thing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by sapele914(m): 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:

Lol. That's what you tell yourself. I guess subsidy is the reason over 30bn has been spent on the refineries with no results.
Refinery not working is a technical/management issue not an economic issue.
No. I want fuel sold at the right price to protect the economy. The poor don't use as much fuel as the rich. But the poor feel the effects of an ailing economy more than the rich.
Exactly, autocracy of those in power.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 22, 2022
Agbegbaorogboye:
In case anyone does not understand what is happening, let me break it down for you real quick.

1. NNPC the major importer is importing fuel and selling to major marketers and depot owners at subsidized price.
2. The depot owners and major marketers, in a bid to make mad and unjustified profit sell to independent marketers and retailers at cutthroat price. This is despite getting it at subsidized price. They also decided to stifle supply to create an artificial scarcity to justify the arbitrary pricing which is clearly illegal. NNPC looks away.
3. Now note that even if subsidy was removed today and fuel import deregulated, most independent marketers don't have the means and ability to bring in fuel. That will still be done by the major marketers who will then have the field day to fix prices as they desire and push to independent marketers who will in turn push to the consumers. This price gorging will end up pushing the economy down the hill to abyss like Ghana and Zimbabwe.
4. If anyone doubts me, look at what is happening with diesel that has been deregulated since 2009. The price jumped from about 200/L to over 800/L this year alone without any cogent reason. And no importer of diesel has any plans of building a refinery despite the mad profit they're making

Thanks you and God bless you. Most of them know this truth but they would want to sugarcoat It. Some of those Evil People frustrating peoples efforts and making large profit at the pains and expense of the masses are here reading.

One thing I am certain of Is this won't be happening forever. Until then when the Gullible Masses wakes up and do the needful themselves.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by sapele914(m): 2:44pm On Dec 22, 2022
alimiadedayo1:

God bless my brother, during the Jonathan era was the best time for us to remove fuel subsidy but the same government kicked and used it against him.. but now reverse is the case they are paying for their sins of lies and deceit and if they try it now I don't know what will happen maybe there will be revolution cause we are sitting on a time bomb..people are really suffering and the economic is very harsh.
removal susibidy now is not the best thing to do because there will be increase in insecurity and can plunge this country into another thing
The sole reason, I will never have any respect for that donkey, yet he still lost the subsequent election,Mumu Man.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by justmi1: 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2022
Subsidy needs to go. But while that is on, the federal government and state government can provide mass transit buses at cheaper rates. And also ensure steady power because businesses also use this fuel to power thier industries.

This would reduce traffic drastically as there would be less vehicles on road. While this is on, savings from subsidy claims would be use to fix refineries. Laws should also enable local and modular refineries.

But our government no go do am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 22, 2022
sapele914:
Which refinery? Refining 1,105 barrels a day from a max capacity of 27,000 is not considered refining.

Onne refinery btw, but no use talking with you guys, its obvious you re the cronies who dont want the country to refine its crude, you rather we spent billions shipping raw crude thousands of kilometres to another country and importing it at cut throat rates and selling at unrealistic prices just to make a few persons rich.

Your arguments supporting the status quo are treasonable in a decent country , keep it up . Weldone.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 22, 2022
ModCaller:

This is false. A very big lie.

There is nothing like 510 per litre anywhere. It's way less than that.

Mods should pay attention to misinformation like this.

Stop bothering yourself on that mentally deranged fellow. We know them. He will soon deactivate his current useless account again.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by chaloskyx: 3:09pm On Dec 22, 2022
IN OTHER NEWS WHEN IS THE INFAMOUS DANGOTE REFINERY KICK STARTING OPERATIONS ABI THAT ONE ALSO DON DIE SUDDEN DEATH
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2022
Arthurnna:
Ladies and gents,e done happen. I bought fuel at 280 naira this morning in owerri.. 280 folks.. now it's crystal clear to the blind and deafeningly loud to the deaf that 500/Ltr will soon be the Goal!!

The Target Is N1000 In the nearest future.

Let Dangote starts his refineries first and see the wonders and manifestations.

Anyone "most especially the poor people" who thinks nigerian government, firms and private Individual has plans to soften their hardship are only being delusionalgrin

They should brace up for the disasters ahead.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 22, 2022
Respect55:

Who hasn't allowed NNPC to make profits while refining it here?

Thank you. Exactly the question I had In mind to ask him but I wouldn't do so directly because the demented fellow behind that monicker disgust me a lot.

Let us see If he will answer this correctly. Foools deceiving themselves thinking everyone is a fool like them.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2022
WarriorHero:
You still haven't mentioned the underlying cause for why the NNPC is engaging in such a bad business practice. Why does the state of Texas in the United States have 29 functioning oil refineries, but NNPC budgets billions for maintaining oil refineries yet Nigeria still has to refine its crude abroad.

You are only wasting your precious time asking these Vital Questions. He will only come up with one answer he keeps on repeating. "Because Of Subsidy" grin grin grin

These are the types and large chunk of demented foools and demons we have in government and anyone thinks nigeria will ever progress lolgrin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:

No production without deregulation.

Make up your mind.
That's in your own text book.
There was no deregulation when Nigeria built four refineries
The US subsidizes fuel and there's still production of refined products there.
Tell your corrupt puppeteers to stop sabotaging our national economy

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Agbegbaorogboye: 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Then subsidy has to go so that fuel would be sold at the right price then.

Simple.
Subsidy will go when we start refining locally. It's simple logic.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 4:18pm On Dec 22, 2022
This is intentional,,,useless people want to cashout .
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by grammarian247(m): 4:20pm On Dec 22, 2022
agadez007:
Yoruba people are quiet because some of them want emilokan to be there,so no wahala
Even if the country burns as far as emilokan wins
nobody is occupying Ojota because it’s not Jonathan

They have professors in every field and pride themselves as the most educated group in Nigeria but will sacrifice their critical thinking on the alter atavistic tribal cravings.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by alimiadedayo1: 4:22pm On Dec 22, 2022
sapele914:
The sole reason, I will never have any respect for that donkey, yet he still lost the subsequent election,Mumu Man.
politics in Africa is dangerous and full of deceit
one of the best way to solve this problem is to educate and orientate the electorate the consequences of their choice.. we need to teach people how they can check the credibility of each of the candidates, their antecedents, records and so on
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by ogub(m): 5:00pm On Dec 22, 2022
It's only when we start doing things right, that's when we can see the changes we desires.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Agbegbaorogboye: 5:09pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:

Yes because they had just been built

Eventually the subsidy madness caught up with them when goverment widened the scope of the subsidy

The result is what you see now.

Sell at a loss....

Goverment by the end of the 1980s was making refineries sell fuel at a loss and paying a subsidy that did not cover the loss. Theresult was bad profits and bad refineries

They don't do that in Texas

Stop telling lies. The reason for bad refineries is decide govt especially IBB govt said NNPC must get presidential approval before embarking on maintenance of refineries.
The bureaucracy required made that almost impossible. That has nothing to do with subsidy
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Arthurnna: 5:37pm On Dec 22, 2022
Well spoken, because you can't help but notice a pattern with these weekly fuel pump increase.. you should have seen the shock on my face this morning at the fuel station. Nearly cried!! 3k fuel couldn't even get me to the office and back without going into cardiac arrest (Reserve).. Nigeria,I hail thee joor!!

Evolutionlove:

The Target Is N1000 In the nearest future.

Let Dangote starts his refineries first and see the wonders and manifestations.

Anyone "most especially the poor people" who thinks nigerian government, firms and private Individual has plans to soften their hardship are only being delusionalgrin

They should brace up for the disasters ahead.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by drololaaof: 5:38pm On Dec 22, 2022
[quote author=Kobonaire234 post=119339748][/quote]
You people are part of our problem any small thing you post them ,causing panic .
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by bablon20(m): 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2022
Benin Republic is enjoying uninterrupted fuel supply from Nigeria while the people of Nigeria are suffering fuel scarcity.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by Respect55(m): 10:35pm On Dec 22, 2022
Kobonaire234:

NNPC has been forced to sell fuel below the production price for decades to 'help the poor'

Thus they haven't been able to make enough profits to keep refining fuel here

Thus by 2010, we were a net importer

The subsidy paid to cover the loss nnpc sustains is not enough to allow it make a profit.
Just like I asked earlier, who is the person(s) forcing them?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: Depots Dry Up, Nigerians Face Bleak Christmas by ayo2008: 12:07am On Dec 23, 2022
[quote author=Kobonaire234 post=119339748][/quote]

What a country.
I still wonder where protesters of occupy ojota campaign during Jonathan are?
They have gone into oblivion

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of PDP Presidential Campaign Rally In Benue / Protest At Lagos Police Station Over Arrest Of Sowore's Supporters (PICS) / BREAKING: Tribunal Grants Buhari, APC Access To Inspect Electoral Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.