Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,049 members, 7,828,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? (9248 Views)

Could Someone Knowleable Please Teach About Spirit Husbands And Wives? / ⚫⚫ Jesus Taught About Speaking In Tongues / 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by DMCA: 9:29am On Feb 26, 2023
Draslo:

🀣🀣🀣🀣

Holy Spirit sef go don tire for Nigeria.
Holy spirit go fit no like Sunday for Nigeria oh! grin

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by HomeTutorsPro: 9:34am On Feb 26, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

Interesting. So you mean the annoying irritating blabbing gibberish that most people do today isn't actually speaking in tongues?
If yes, what would you call that?
The irritating babbling they do in churches today are religious nonsense as usual.
Speaking in tongues means "to speak in a language you previously do not know how to speak.
To understand the whole idea of speaking in tongues as recorded in the Bible, look at Acts Chapter 2.
The gathering on the Pentecost comprised of people from every nation (language) under heaven. Acts 2:6.
The apostles needed to tell them about the wonderful works of God but they couldn't speak all the languages. Not all the people understood the language of the apostles either.
Worse still, there were no translators!
That was when the Holy Spirit came down to solve the problem.
There are two possibilities.

1. The Holy Spirit made the apostles to speak the language of every nation under heaven so that every person in the congregation could understand.

2. The Holy Spirit made each member of the congregation hear the apostles in their own language. That is, the apostles were speaking their own language (Galileans) - Acts 2:7 but each listener heard a translation (by the Holy Spirit) in his/her own language.

Now, whichever of the above happened on Pentecost, the goal was the same: a language barrier was broken and there was effective communication between people who would not have understood each other.
That is the essence of speaking in tongues.
The word of God should bring light and understanding. Psalm 119:130.
If I go to preach to a congregation comprising of Hausas, Ibos, Yorubas, Isokos, Kanuris, Ibibios, Itsekiris and even people from other countries who speak several other languages, I would need the help of the Holy Spirit to speak to those people in a language they'll understand otherwise I haven't preached.

I don't want to make my response too long.
But here is what the Bible says about speaking in tongues.

1. It is to be directed towards unbelievers so they may believe (Prophesy is for believers).
2. Speaking something that listeners do not understand is madness.
3. If you must praise God in a tongue that your listener do not understand, there must be an interpreter.
4. If there is no interpreter, you must remain silent in the church.

You can see all the above in 1 Cor. 14:22 - 28.

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by OLULAW: 9:35am On Feb 26, 2023
Jokanem:

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/speaking-in-tongues/

What has this nonsense got to do with the progress of nations.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by itslinkin4005(m): 9:38am On Feb 26, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

Interesting. So you mean the annoying irritating blabbing gibberish that most people do today isn't actually speaking in tongues?
Na total rubbish ..

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Iambz: 9:39am On Feb 26, 2023
Good stuff. However, they won’t still listen because they rather believe their pastors rather than study the Bible themselves.

2 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Verance: 9:42am On Feb 26, 2023
You guys are quick to quote Paul in the first few verses of 1 Cor 14 but will never reference the first case of speaking in tongues, why can't a "spirit filled" Yoruba Pentecostan minister to an Igbo man in Igbo language? Mind you, Apostle Peter stated clearly that some of Apostle Paul's teaching are difficult to comprehend and I believe his writings in 1 Cor 14 about the gift of tongues is one of those difficult teachings of Paul to understand and has proven to be a big stumbling block to Pentecostals making your worship sessions being sessions of frenzy. For context sake, if you read 1 Cor 12, 13 you will understand that the gifts of the spirits are not given primarily for the purpose of "self-pleasing" they are giving to individuals to serve the body of Christ. Also, you guys have clearly elevated the gift of tongues above all other gifts of the spirit some even saying speaking in tongues is a prerequisite to salvation.

Please refer to the links below to gain a better understanding of my points

https://www.gotquestions.org/praying-in-tongues.html

https://thecripplegate.com/addressing-continuationist-arguments-from-1-corinthians-14/

contra:

1 Corinthians 14:2
For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.

Here the Apostle Paul is addressing the use of the gift of tongues in the church. He notes that when someone speaks in tongues, they are not speaking to people but to God. This is because tongues are a form of prayer or worship that is directed towards God, rather than being intended for human communication.

Paul goes on to explain that when someone speaks in tongues, they are speaking mysteries by the Spirit. This means that the words being spoken are not understood by those around them, because they are not meant for human comprehension. Instead, they are a form of communication between the individual and God, facilitated by the Holy Spirit.

The gift of tongues can be a powerful way for believers to connect with God in a deep and intimate way. It allows them to pray and worship in a way that transcends human language and understanding, and to experience the presence of God in a unique way. However, as Paul notes, it can also be confusing or even disruptive in a church setting if there is no interpretation provided.

Overall, 1 Corinthians 14:2 highlights the unique and mysterious nature of the gift of tongues, and reminds us that it is ultimately a form of worship and prayer directed towards God.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by contra(m): 9:42am On Feb 26, 2023
SunMusk:
Nice wrote up, but you don't elaborate on the use of tongues, that is why people say is Gibberish Paul said thy should be interpretation, if not the person should speak to himself. And most Christians don't have interpretation but still say it loud. And the bible says the spirit of a prophet is under his control. Tongue and miracle has not cease but thy usage is the problem. Paul says where there is speaking in tongue thy should be interpretation. Or the person keep quiet and speak to himself.

I focused on the arguments of the op that's outdated.

Here are five uses of speaking in tongues, along with corresponding Bible references:

Personal prayer and worship: Speaking in tongues can be a form of personal prayer and worship, allowing the individual to connect with God in a deeper, more spiritual way. This is often described as praying in the Spirit or with the help of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 14:2, Ephesians 6:18)

Edification and spiritual growth: The use of tongues can be a way to edify and build up the individual and the church community. Paul writes that those who speak in tongues edify themselves, and he encourages the Corinthian church to pursue the gift of tongues as a way to build themselves up spiritually. (1 Corinthians 14:4)

A sign to unbelievers: Speaking in tongues can be a sign to unbelievers, demonstrating the power and presence of God. This was seen on the day of Pentecost, when the disciples spoke in tongues and people from many different nations heard the message of the Gospel in their own language. (Acts 2:1-13)

Intercession and praying for others: The use of tongues can be a way to pray for others, even when we do not know what to pray for. Paul writes that the Spirit helps us in our weakness and intercedes for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. (Romans 8:26-27)

Spiritual warfare: Speaking in tongues can be a way to engage in spiritual warfare, as a form of prayer and spiritual battle against the forces of evil. Paul writes that we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against spiritual forces, and he encourages us to pray in the Spirit as a way to overcome these spiritual battles. (Ephesians 6:12-18)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Krismas(m): 9:48am On Feb 26, 2023
Jokanem:

grin This is wot happens when learners pose as tutors. grin
The fundamental truth is that WHEN THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES UPON ANYONE, IT LEADS TO THE RECIPIENT SPEAKING OUT STREAMS OF PROPHETIC UTTERANCES. The first case was wen Moses laid hands on seventy judges. Then wen the spirit came on king Saul and David. Then wen 400 or so individuals spoke before Ahab and Jehosephat. etc. Your mouth utter sounds of prophesy wen spirit come upon u. Whether u understand wot u saying or not is separate matter. This is the first fundamental fact. If u can’t grasp this, no need continuing with the rest facts on tongues grin
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by YourNextLevel(m): 9:49am On Feb 26, 2023
I pray that God opens your eyes in His Word. Anyways the gift remains and active till we leave earth. Shalom!
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by contra(m): 9:52am On Feb 26, 2023
Verance:
You guys are quick to quote Paul in the first few verses of 1 Cor 14 but will never reference the first case of speaking in tongues, why can't a "spirit filled" Yoruba Pentecostan minister to an Igbo man in Igbo language? Mind you, Apostle Peter stated clearly that some of Apostle Paul's teaching are difficult to comprehend and I believe his writings in 1 Cor 14 about the gift of tongues is one of those difficult teachings of Paul to understand and has proven to be a big stumbling block to Pentecostals making your worship sessions being sessions of frenzy. For context sake, if you read 1 Cor 12, 13 you will understand that the gifts of the spirits are not given primarily for the purpose of "self-pleasing" they are giving to individuals to serve the body of Christ. Also, you guys have clearly elevated the gift of tongues above all other gifts of the spirit some even saying speaking in tongues is a prerequisite to salvation.

https://thecripplegate.com/addressing-continuationist-arguments-from-1-corinthians-14/

Initially, your argument was that people claim to speak in tongues to prevent the devil from hearing, but I pointed out that according to the Bible, speaking in tongues is a form of communication between the individual and God, without others understanding. Therefore, it is true that speaking in tongues is a way to speak only to God without others comprehending.

However, speaking in tongues serves many other purposes beyond this, such as edification, intercession, and spiritual warfare. While it is not necessary for a Yoruba man to speak in Igbo to show that they're speaking in tougues, there have been instances where people have spoken in tongues in languages they do not know that others understand, and this has happened in real life and continues to happen today. Just because someone may not have personally experienced this does not make it untrue.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Companion1224(m): 9:54am On Feb 26, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

I don't really know what to call that πŸ˜†
But that is no ones language

While the apostles spoke in tongues foreigners heard and understood God's word in there language particularly... Take for instance you can't speak Swahili but while praying a tongue of fire descends on your head and you start to explain the scriptures in Swahili and people who speak swahili are amazed and they get to hear and understand the scriptures in there dialect... Afterwards you too are also amazed because you can't speak Swahili again after preaching the scriptures
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by GreatrAnalyst: 9:55am On Feb 26, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Scarcity234: 9:58am On Feb 26, 2023
Verance:
Speaking in tongues as far as Act 2 is concerned is speaking, for a brief period, in a language which is not ones native language as moved upon by the Holy Spirit for the intent of passing across a gospel message to the surprise of the speakers of the native language who can clearly discern that you are speaking a language you normally cannot speak which then confirms to them that you are being empowered by some supernal forces.

The Pentecostal church is the champion of gibberish. They use scriptures like 1 Corinthians 14:2 (unknown tongues) and Romans 8:26 to back up their false claims. The first case of Speaking in tongues wasn't an unknown tongue. It was an intelligible language, hence the term "unknown" must be an error in translation or gross misunderstanding of Paul's teaching which isn't surprising since Peter declared some of Paul's teachings to be difficult to understand (2 Peter 3:15-16). Now as for Galatians 1:26, interpreting "groanings which cannot be uttered" as speaking in gibberish is both scriptural and linguistic ignorance. How can what cannot be uttered translate as "loud unintelligible untterances"?

On a final note, the Pentecostal churches claim that speaking in tongue is to communicate in the language the devil cannot understand is simply unscriptural for that is not the purpose of the gift of tongues (Go read 1 Corinthians 14) and such a claim is no where to be found in the bible. According to these Pentecostals, if you pray to God in English or your native language, the devil will understand and then block your prayers from getting to God. Lol.

Before you quote me as a Pentecostal Christian, please go read up the article in the following link

May God bless you for this...
When you come close to those who really want to say the truth, you will discover most learned or formed it to feel among, not that it's from God
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Etuagievin(m): 10:06am On Feb 26, 2023
EriMma1:
Stop blaspheming. Where on the bible is it written that speaking in tongues ceased?
Point it out...
. 1 cor 13:8
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Companion1224(m): 10:08am On Feb 26, 2023
OLULAW:

What has this nonsense got to do with the progress of nations.

When a nation is not sane enough to determine there progress let the nation take there problem elsewhere not a sane trend please... Already calling the trend "nonsense" 😐 .... Angry people everywhere πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‚
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by EMILO2STAY(m): 10:08am On Feb 26, 2023
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Ajoself(m): 10:11am On Feb 26, 2023
Why do christians place emphasis on speaking in tongues? Most churches are speaking in tongues with patterns that have now cut across them that you believe it's a language in some part of the world. The real language of the holy spirit is speaking other people's language that you didn't learn or have not learned before just like the disciples did on the pentecostal day not shapropro shege ragge raggga seteribo they are saying. I was in market one day, I watched closely as one pastor was praying in tongues. He was using things around him to make incoherent sounds for instance, I heard him say 9 11. I quickly looked around and I saw phone number of shop owner that ends in 911. Don't be a lackey, follow the bible. Don't follow trends.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Jossymekoos10: 10:13am On Feb 26, 2023
Jokanem:

Good morning sir
We are all learning and striving to grow in Christ
But before you teach such thing like this, you must be sure that Holy spirit taught you not just your pastor

Some of the things you said we true but about how you get the gift of speaking with tongues, and when it will end and being a means of passing messages , I humbly say that you are not right

Please check 1 cor 12 from 1 to 11
But let me summarize
Paul said that these gifts are given by the Holy Spirit to WHOM HE CHOOSES
Please that they were laying hands then does not mean it's by laying hands that you get the gift, for example, they laid hands to heal but it doesn't mean that you can't speak words to heal

Secondly, if you study 1 cor 14 to the end
Paul asked the Christians to desire spiritual gifts and pray to get them
But he advises them on the gifts to desire
There's a lot to say but I can't type them

Then About speaking with tongues being a means of passing messages : I agree to some extent
But Paul said that speaking in tongues is a gift on its own, then interpretation of tongues is another gift on its own
That was why he advised them not to speak in tongues in public if there is no interpreter but they should speak in private and pray for the gift of interpretation

About when speaking in tongues will end : Paul said it is when we know in perfection
That is when Christ will come again

Let's be careful what we teach. Paul said teachers will be judged more strictly than others

May God continue to grow us all in christ. AMEN
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by DeOTR: 10:17am On Feb 26, 2023
DoWhatThouWilt:

Speaking in tongues as we have it today, is nothing short of nonsense.
Tongues are supposed to be human languages (for God's sake tongues literally means languages), as evident in the Bible verses about the first people who spoke in other tongues.
Some even claim speaking in tongues is speaking in the language of Angels that devils won't understand.
The same demons who were once Angels in heaven?

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by vicmoore568: 10:19am On Feb 26, 2023
My dear, I have nothing to tag it but can tell that that is not speaking in other languages. They actually don't know what they are doing. Some even went on to learn whatever they vomit during prayers as speaking in other language. They used to learn that sound. Some persons when asked to pray on a certain prayer point/s pays no attention to what they were asked to pray about and start making noise in the name speaking in tongue. Highly disgusting!!
DoWhatThouWilt:

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by contra(m): 10:30am On Feb 26, 2023
Etuagievin:
. 1 cor 13:8

Corinthians 13:8 reads, "Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

This verse is part of a larger passage in 1 Corinthians 13 that describes the importance of love in the life of a believer. In this particular verse, Paul contrasts the eternal nature of love with the temporary nature of spiritual gifts such as prophecy, tongues, and knowledge.

When Paul says that prophecies will cease, tongues will be stilled, and knowledge will pass away, he is not saying that these gifts will disappear completely or that they are no longer relevant in the life of the church. Rather, he is emphasizing that these gifts are not as important or as enduring as love.

Prophecy, tongues, and knowledge were all considered valuable gifts in the early church, but they were not the ultimate goal. The goal was to love God and to love others, and the spiritual gifts were meant to be a means to that end.

So, in 1 Corinthians 13:8, Paul is reminding the Corinthians (and us) that even though these spiritual gifts are important, they are not the most important thing. Love is the most important thing, and it will never fail. The gifts may come and go, but love will endure forever.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by joefelin2345: 10:31am On Feb 26, 2023
contra:
This position of jw is not correct. Read Mark 16:16-18 (KJV) . These are the direct words of Jesus. Emphasise on 17.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

The Bible teaches about speaking in tongues in several places, including Acts 2:4, 1 Corinthians 12-14, and Mark 16:17-18. Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift that allows a person to speak in a language they do not know, often as part of prayer or worship.

In Acts 2:4, the Holy Spirit descends on the apostles and they begin to speak in tongues. This event is seen as the birth of the Christian Church and the spread of the Gospel to people of all languages and nations.

In 1 Corinthians 12-14, Paul writes about the gifts of the Holy Spirit, including the gift of tongues. He emphasizes that speaking in tongues is a sign for unbelievers and a way to edify oneself in prayer (1 Corinthians 14:2-4). Paul also provides guidance on the use of tongues in public worship, emphasizing the importance of interpretation so that others may understand and be edified (1 Corinthians 14:5-19).

Jesus himself spoke about the gift of tongues in Mark 16:17-18, saying, "These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover." This passage indicates that speaking in tongues is a sign of belief and a manifestation of the Holy Spirit's power.

In addition, Romans 11:29 states that "the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." This means that once God has given a spiritual gift, such as the gift of tongues, he will not take it away. Therefore, the gift of tongues is still valid and available to believers today.

In conclusion, speaking in tongues is a biblical and valid spiritual gift that is still available to believers today. It is a way to communicate with God and to build up oneself and others in faith. While it is important to use this gift responsibly and in accordance with biblical guidance, it should not be discounted or dismissed as outdated or irrelevant.
Ogbeni, stop that nounsence. How many sick people has your so called speaking speaking in tongues healed? Otherwise, our hospitals should have been emptied by now!!! Also go & drink poison in the name of being a disciple of Christ & see what shall happen to you! Finally go to the forest or zoo & hold snake (serpent) & come & tell us the result. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday though.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Blackzero: 10:31am On Feb 26, 2023
DMCA:
grin

They will now just be saying something like...

Tchaaaa turubalista Kamala tohida... Topsy Tata karma hagi Zi pa to to lagisha popo ko was ti biu Sha ni VA ha boom rataaaah
πŸ˜‚ u no well sha

And say they are speaking in tongues grin

All these penticostals and their gibberish grin grin grin

Who takes them seriously grin grin grin

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Thoughts007: 10:32am On Feb 26, 2023
Jokanem:

You have not learnt much. I pray for you that God would open the eyes of your understanding and your mind would be receptive to receive the truth when he reveals it to you.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Jossymekoos10: 10:32am On Feb 26, 2023
HomeTutorsPro:

The irritating babbling they do in churches today are religious nonsense as usual.
Speaking in tongues means "to speak in a language you previously do not know how to speak.
To understand the whole idea of speaking in tongues as recorded in the Bible, look at Acts Chapter 2.
The gathering on the Pentecost comprised of people from every nation (language) under heaven. Acts 2:6.
The apostles needed to tell them about the wonderful works of God but they couldn't speak all the languages. Not all the people understood the language of the apostles either.
Worse still, there were no translators!
That was when the Holy Spirit came down to solve the problem.
There are two possibilities.

1. The Holy Spirit made the apostles to speak the language of every nation under heaven so that every person in the congregation could understand.

2. The Holy Spirit made each member of the congregation hear the apostles in their own language. That is, the apostles were speaking their own language (Galileans) - Acts 2:7 but each listener heard a translation (by the Holy Spirit) in his/her own language.

Now, whichever of the above happened on Pentecost, the goal was the same: a language barrier was broken and there was effective communication between people who would not have understood each other.
That is the essence of speaking in tongues.
The word of God should bring light and understanding. Psalm 119:130.
If I go to preach to a congregation comprising of Hausas, Ibos, Yorubas, Isokos, Kanuris, Ibibios, Itsekiris and even people from other countries who speak several other languages, I would need the help of the Holy Spirit to speak to those people in a language they'll understand otherwise I haven't preached.

I don't want to make my response too long.
But here is what the Bible says about speaking in tongues.

1. It is to be directed towards unbelievers so they may believe (Prophesy is for believers).
2. Speaking something that listeners do not understand is madness.
3. If you must praise God in a tongue that your listener do not understand, there must be an interpreter.
4. If there is no interpreter, you must remain silent in the church.

You can see all the above in 1 Cor. 14:22 - 28.

Good morning sir
I love your response sir
I wish I could discuss with you face to face

But there are things that I would love you to consider then may be we will have a clear understanding

First about what happened on the day of Pentecost whether Apostles were speaking their own language or every language
Think about this statement of Paul : Paul said when I speak in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays but I don't understand what I am saying

Speaking in tongues is a gift
Understanding of tongues is another gift on its own

Remember Paul told them to pray for the gift of understanding speaking in tongues
You will see these in 1 cor 12 and 1 cor 14
If you need specific verses, let me know

You said Speaking something listener's don't understand is madness and I agree
But you must understand the context in which Paul was saying that

He was saying it in context of public worship like in the church or where people are listening to you

But Paul encouraged them to speak in private

It's is gibberish and nonsense when you are speaking it in public and there's no interpret but it's not gibberish if you are a speaking in private

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Thoughts007: 10:34am On Feb 26, 2023
contra:

Corinthians 13:8 reads, "Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

This verse is part of a larger passage in 1 Corinthians 13 that describes the importance of love in the life of a believer. In this particular verse, Paul contrasts the eternal nature of love with the temporary nature of spiritual gifts such as prophecy, tongues, and knowledge.

When Paul says that prophecies will cease, tongues will be stilled, and knowledge will pass away, he is not saying that these gifts will disappear completely or that they are no longer relevant in the life of the church. Rather, he is emphasizing that these gifts are not as important or as enduring as love.

Prophecy, tongues, and knowledge were all considered valuable gifts in the early church, but they were not the ultimate goal. The goal was to love God and to love others, and the spiritual gifts were meant to be a means to that end.

So, in 1 Corinthians 13:8, Paul is reminding the Corinthians (and us) that even though these spiritual gifts are important, they are not the most important thing. Love is the most important thing, and it will never fail. The gifts may come and go, but love will endure forever.

Gbamsolutely cool
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by kingxsamz(m): 10:39am On Feb 26, 2023
Lol, religion is a mental illness because how do you intentionally speak gibberish and think you're making any sense? grin

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Jossymekoos10: 10:41am On Feb 26, 2023
Verance:

I agree with you but there is the gift of interpretation
Gift of speaking in tongues is different from the gift of interpretation

It's also possible to teach about Christ through speaking in tongues

Remember, Paul said these gifts are given by the Holy Spirit to whom he chooses but we can desire and pray for these gifts
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Rapture4real(m): 10:42am On Feb 26, 2023
I am not surprised. It's Jehovah Witness. This is heresy, doctrine of the devil especially the part that claims speaking in tongues end with the apostles.

We are in the Holy Ghost dispensation. If you say speaking in tongues end with apostles,it the means all the other eight gifts of the Holy Spirit do not exist again. You're denying the doctrine of trinity of Godhead. You're denying Holy Spirit.

Go and repent.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by womenareapezz: 10:44am On Feb 26, 2023
Jokanem:

your last two paragraph is totally bullshit and rubbish undecided

It just shows you are not reading your Bible and doing more research! undecided

I guess you are from those white garment descendants who knows nothing but JuJu in pretence of serving the lord. angry

Or even worse! An Jehovah witness who are like the
Sadducees who didn't believe in the resurrection of the dead undecided
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by Thoughts007: 10:55am On Feb 26, 2023
Jossymekoos10:

Good morning sir
I love your response sir
I wish I could discuss with you face to face

But there are things that I would love you to consider then may be we will have a clear understanding

First about what happened on the day of Pentecost whether Apostles were speaking their own language or every language
Think about this statement of Paul : Paul said when I speak in an unknown tongue, my spirit prays but I don't understand what I am saying

Speaking in tongues is a gift
Understanding of tongues is another gift on its own

Remember Paul told them to pray for the gift of understanding speaking in tongues
You will see these in 1 cor 12 and 1 cor 14
If you need specific verses, let me know

You said Speaking something listener's don't understand is madness and I agree
But you must understand the context in which Paul was saying that

He was saying it in context of public worship like in the church or where people are listening to you

But Paul encouraged them to speak in private

It's is gibberish and nonsense when you are speaking it in public and there's no interpret but it's not gibberish if you are a speaking in private

The time and location of speaking in tongues is of very little importance. 1cor 14:17 Paul was grateful to God because he speaks in tongues more than everyone else. The bible admonishes us to desire the best gifts as christains and so if you desire the gift of tongues, God would give it to you. Also the subsequent verses 18 and 19 Paul talked about his personal preference of speaking less tongues in a congregation because he would rather edify the listeners when he is in public, and speaking in tongues in public would be rather selfish of him since he would be edifying just his spirit. But it doesn't mean if he speaks in tongues in public, it becomes gibberish or invalid.

When the apostles were speaking in tongues in Acts 2:8, the bible didn't say they were speaking various native languages of the people around, instead the bible said each man heard them speak in his own native language! That means and Igbo man was hearing John speaking Igbo, but a Hausa man was marveled that John was fluent in Hausa dialect, and a French man still present there at the same time was hearing John speaking fluent french. It's God's miracle and it is amazing.
Re: What Does The Bible Teach About Speaking In Tongues? by KoladeChris24(m): 10:56am On Feb 26, 2023
Jokanem:

I knew this would be from Jehovah's Witnesses.

Speaking in tongues still exists, but it's a very rare gift.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Tri-unity Of God And The Work Of Salvation. / Ailing Sonny Okosun Seeks Help In India / The Will Of God Vs My Will

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.