Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Logistics Or Supply Chain Management - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management (152644 Views)

Poll: What modes of training would you prefer for CIPS or CILT AND APICS or ISM professional programs?

Self study: 20% (2 votes)
Class room based lecture: 20% (2 votes)
Supported learning ( CD,Study Note/Guide): 50% (5 votes)
Lecture/assisted revisions (close to exams): 10% (1 vote)
Online/webinars lectures: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

j / Supply Chain Management OR Project Management / Logistics And Supply Chain Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 6:17pm On May 31, 2011
@ ABINIBI

actually that is my own definition based on my own experience engaging in supply chain, be that as it may supply chain does not have a "one size fits all" definition , it can have different definition and interpretation based on the different industry , but the final goals and objectives is streamlined to given value to the end user and bringing profit to the stakeholders involved.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by sonety2k(m): 12:14pm On Jun 16, 2011
cool
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by corrall(f): 3:29pm On Jun 18, 2011
Hello all,

Can someone put me through?

I have currently completed an M.Sc degree in purchasing and supply chain management. I know this is a 'hot' and much needed discipline in the Nigerian market, but what i want to know is, to stand at an advantage, what package can i have (training) to equip myself? Is it like a software or a management body in Nigeria?

Thanks
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by dotmana1: 4:40pm On Jun 22, 2011
You guys are not encouraging us at all.I asked a question about anybody writing Level 4,nobody aswered.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 12:01am On Jun 25, 2011
dotman_a:

Please NL,
I have been having problems booking for my July exams online.I got stocked when i was asked to chose my exams.Pleas help.URGENT

corrall:

Hello all,

Can someone put me through?

I have currently completed an M.Sc degree in purchasing and supply chain management. I know this is a 'hot' and much needed discipline in the Nigerian market, but what i want to know is, to stand at an advantage, what package can i have (training) to equip myself? Is it like a software or a management body in Nigeria?

Thanks
dotman_a:

You guys are not encouraging us at all.I asked a question about anybody writing Level 4,nobody aswered.

@dotmann,

I have also waited to know if someone was going to answer your questions but unfortunately no one offered any help,I sometimes realize this is a forum and whatever is brought forward would be discussed by whoever has interest in the topic.It was not really clear to me if you were doing online booking because the method I have used throughout my enrollment for CIPS exams is via british council ,what was confusing is the July date mentioned,registration for CIPS exams starts in February and exams takes place in May,at the time of your posting quoted above,CIPS exams was just some 5 days ahead, with this observations I was not really sure you were talking about CIPS.Sorry for the oversight and please be detailed especially when it concerns urgent issues as this,I do believe this forum does not place emphasis on any exam body,Its hard to know if this was CIPS.

Also,I would like to encourage NL with interest in SCM to contribute as often as they can,this country needs leaders in every area to make the change we are all yearning for but unfortunately this leadership vacancies are not in big positions with fat salaries hence the apathy we show sometimes when this needs are begging for attention.Please be the change that you ask for,same for you @ dotman.

@Corall

Congratulations on your MSc,can you please provide information on the university where you obtained this qualification,cause if its UK you are likely to get level 5 of CIPS waived or be awarded an MCIPS if you have a 3 years working experience in the profession.To start with visit www.cips.org to know where you stand,you can also call their customer care to discuss further +44 1 780 756777.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by igelomo(m): 12:44pm On Jun 27, 2011
Hello Guys, i have gone through some of the post and i must say it is very incisive. Am a graduate of economics and i presently work in a travl management company as a reservation officer. I was opportuned to attend some trainings in Aviation and i fell in love with cargo management. I have always had what i term career prostitution problem for a long time until my sudden contact with cargo. I have decided to take the IATA/FIAATA Cargo basics exams in december up until i get ACP(air cargo professional). I want to find out from you guys whether there is a course in Supply/Logistics management or CILT that focuses on cargo management or just a general advice on career advancement would not be bad. THANKS.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nomsoe: 4:01pm On Jun 29, 2011
HI all,

really fantastic forum here, wonder why i never came across it, you guys are doing a great job!.

I graduated with a bsc in production technologyand i have completed a masters degree in international business management, fourtuately i currently work in supply chain management for a manufacturing company in the uk ( been just 1 year so i wont say i have bags of experience, but its is definately a field i will like to build a career in)

i will like to know what the prospects are in Nigeria in supply chain and logistics, and do i need to get the certification first before looking for a job? i was of the impression that it would be wiser to build a career and gain experience first before chaing certifications, its just a thought and i just want to seek opinions from better experienced people in the forum.

thanks a lot mates!!!
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 29, 2011
Wonderful forum here! well done all contributors and followers.

@ abinibi i need some counseling right now.

I am a grad of Computer Science & Economics, and also Hold and MBA. want to take up the career challenge in SCM .

I want o register for the CIPS . what level will i start from absed on my qualification. My BSC & MBAare obtained from Nigeria.

Thank you.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 4:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
go to www.cips.org

you get all you need there or better still see abinibi's response to dotmann
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by vkings: 4:33pm On Jun 30, 2011
Hi guys,

Please, i have a bachelors degree in chemical engineering (2:1) in a federal university and have worked in a food production factory in the packaging/production department as a packer for about 2 years. I had to do this due to lack of job. I'm now trying to get any of production supervisor or quality control positions.

What should I do to get enhance my chances if i do stand a chance?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 8:40pm On Jun 30, 2011
I made this contribution recently and I thought it would help folks with similar query here even though I would still answer some questions I have seen below especially @ vkings:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-698636.0.html
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by vkings: 9:25am On Jul 11, 2011
@abinibi,

please, when you come online again can we talk.

My email addy is volanderking@yahoo.com or you can drop your email if you wish.
Please, I really need to hear from you as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by argentina: 11:59am On Jul 11, 2011
@ vkings
as a packager you can also do well by applying for APICs  certification exam in CPIM, believe me it will take you as far as you can imagine, Guinness plc has recommended this certification course for all its senior management staff. you can go here www.apics.com

For quality control you can do  ISO 9001:2000 Quality management System courses IRCA certified.
Both certifications are cost intensive but they will set you apart from your peers and move you ahead www.irca.com

cheers
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by vkings: 9:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
@argentina

Thanks a lot.

@abinibi,

I'm still expecting to hear from you.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 5:12am On Jul 12, 2011
I see that I have missed a lot since the last time I checked,its really encouraging for me to know more people finds the SCM profession appealing,even though I am lazy sometimes in responding please bear with me and be rest assured I would respond as soon as I can,more reason for my late response being that I am presently at -6 GMT from Nigeria and would like to appreciate and encourage @ okeyz and @ argentina,thumbs up.

If anyone is interested in the ISO training,  Bureau Veritas in Ikoyi  offers training while IRCA wld help with the certification.

@vkings

You can reach me on cerialprojects@gmail.com for enquiries, for BB Messaging send invitation to 273C2A00 with a brief introduction.

@ Ericalesh

Your background is fantastic and dont know why you have been waiting to launch into the SCM career,with your MBA you can actually apply for exemptions and I hope you have experience in SCM, you need to check out the procedures at www.cips.org. But do not use any excuse to delay,enrol for the August exams,with the results you can prove the MBA achievement.

@nomsoe

I hope my earlier post answered some of your questions about training without experience,if you really love your profession and desire vertical career progression you wouldn't wait till you have all the years of experience.

Cheers.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by fescope: 1:23pm On Jul 14, 2011
Hi all

Am so elated i found this thread!!

I just concluded MA International supply chain and logistics management, and i need three years experience to get MCIPS as well as MCILT qualifications. As such, i want to come back home in January. please i will sincerely appreciate if anyone could help with connections and job. The pay is not priority for now, as long as its a supply chain or logistics job.

Thanks for an anticipated reply.

My email address: ioguntuase@gmail.com
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by JAkpayen(m): 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2011
@ abinibi

I just got my registration ID and login from CIPS, where can I go for study? Tuition centre or materials for self-study in Nigeria?

Thanks
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 8:06pm On Jul 14, 2011
fescope:

Hi all

Am so elated i found this thread!!

I just concluded MA International supply chain and logistics management, and i need three years experience to get MCIPS as well as MCILT qualifications. As such, i want to come back home in January. please i will sincerely appreciate if anyone could help with connections and job. The pay is not priority for now, as long as its a supply chain or logistics job.

Thanks for an anticipated reply.

My email address: ioguntuase@gmail.com

go to most oil and gas website and apply, you can also set up an alert so any time a new position comes up matching your profile you will be alerted
try GE,schlumberger,mobil,BP,Guiness(diageo) and cocacola, they are lots of them also go to LinkedIn and get connected ,you never know what luck you might get.

JAkpayen:

@ abinibi

I just got my registration ID and login from CIPS, where can I go for study? Tuition centre or materials for self-study in Nigeria?

Thanks

try multimix academy at yaba or better still try self study, if i were you i will take the self study option , the text are voluminous and self explanatory but a little discussion class might also help.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Godalone(m): 8:33pm On Jul 14, 2011
@Okeyz please where can i get materials for self-study in Abuja or Lagos?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 9:21am On Jul 15, 2011
^^^ call this number 08030753081 the name is Maxwell

there are copies though
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Godalone(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2011
@Okeyz, thanks i have just called him. I will get the materials from him. If there is any question i will let you know.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by JAkpayen(m): 12:11pm On Jul 15, 2011
Thanks Okeyz, I'm considering self-study because of time.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 8:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
Hello Supply Chain Managers,

I would like to share with you about  the books I am reading at the moment and hopes to make summary on the books:

1. The Toyota Leaders:An Executive Guide

Authored by Masaaki Sato and originally written in Japanese but translated by Justin Bonsey.

This book chronicled the Toyota empire development and the origin of various SCM systems that has been adopted on a global scale.It is a presentation of  a case on Toyota's strenght,its effieciency on shop floor and why it cannot be understood or emulated outside the context of  Toyota's tradition.

Just as the title suggests its an executive guide,rather than focus on inventory management or Toyota's overall strategic vision,it approaches the company from a business management perspective.It may interest you if you are an SCM executive or would be an executive within manufacturing now or later in your career.

2. Oil:Anatomy of an Industry

Authored by Matthew Yeomans

This an informative book on the  commodity called crude oil and its importance in our everyday life but more on its influence on global politics,economy and the health of the planet.

The story focused on how America's discovery of Oil changed the way we live and led to the growth of the auto industry and how America's dependence on Oil has caused an addiction that drives global politics and maneuvers from South America to Asia and Africa,the crude oil factor drives the behavior of global economics and influence human rights and environmental conflicts on global scale.

This would a good read if you follow global politics and economics of crude oil.

Cheers.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by taioluv: 12:59pm On Aug 04, 2011
good day pple, @Jakpayen pls have u gotten hold of study materials for self studying, am starting from level 4, pls kindly answer me thanks
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by JAkpayen(m): 9:57am On Aug 05, 2011
@taio luv

I have not got hold of the materials yet, I'll update you ASAP when I get them.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 7:15pm On Aug 08, 2011
HI GUYS

for the materials , if you have credit card you can purchase it online, i just discovered from a colleague of mine that there are extra summary notes for exam prep that comes along with the original copies, but if u dont have credit card you can opt for the photocopies.

cheers
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by taioluv: 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2011
@okeyz how do I get d photocopies from you, I need to study ASAP.pls kindly answer
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by dypo(m): 10:27am On Aug 09, 2011
Hi folks! I just came across this via google search. It is quite amazing that this post has been kept alive since 2006. While i eat up all that has been said since then, pls let me seek help from the masters.

I recently graduated with a B.Sc. In food science and technology (2.1) and am currently serving in a food production company. By the time I'd be thriugh, i'd have amassed just 18months working experience in the production industry. Is there any hope for me in getting a masters degree in SCM? Pls what are the best schools where i can get admission to study the discipline. Pls note that i have no prior certification.

Thqnk you.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by okeyz(m): 7:28pm On Aug 10, 2011
taio luv:

@okeyz how do I get d photocopies from you, I need to study ASAP.pls kindly answer me.my add is groovybabeng@yahoo.com
Thanks

call this number 08030753081 the name is Maxwell, he will give you everything you want, the text is very relevant even after you have passed the exams, it will help you in your continuos development.

dypo:

Hi folks! I just came across this via google search. It is quite amazing that this post has been kept alive since 2006. While i eat up all that has been said since then, pls let me seek help from the masters.

I recently graduated with a B.Sc. In food science and technology (2.1) and am currently serving in a food production company. By the time I'd be thriugh, i'd have amassed just 18months working experience in the production industry. Is there any hope for me in getting a masters degree in SCM? Pls what are the best schools where i can get admission to study the discipline. Pls note that i have no prior certification.

Thqnk you.

University of Glamogan, there give MCips too check it out
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 1:13am On Aug 11, 2011
@dypo

I believe we all have different inspirations in our interest for SCM and one of my inspiration has been that opportunity of exposure to various business discipline namely business law,economics,strategy management,
negotiation,accounting,leadership,operations and project management ,hence considering a Masters in SCM
is highly desirable and based on my experience it makes you a better business professional and for those with technical background,it complements your technical education and equip you with a balanced approach to problem solving.

SCM Masters education in Nigeria is out of reach and the reason most have embraced this "certification" though I would like to observe that CIPS program is not only a "certification" but you need to study up to the level of achieving an advanced diploma before you are awarded MCIPS,it takes average of 3 years for good students and that is different than "certifications" that I know or have acquired.

If you desire masters in SCM and you still want to keep your job in Nigeria,you may start the CIPS program and can convert to Masters via the university of Glamorgan as mentioned @ Okeyz but only after achieving your Advanced Diploma.If you can afford to leave Nigeria for SCM education, a lot of schools in UK offers Masters program and many that are accredited by CIPS automatically awards the MCIPS status.

http://www.procurementmasters.co.uk/

Cheers.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by qeemus: 10:13am On Aug 16, 2011
hi guys.I work in the aviation industry and i really want to know how relevent a certificate from CILT(Internetional diploma in logistics and transport) is to aviation.I already have an IATA(International air transport assonciation) certificate but kinda interested in CILT.Your responce will be highly appreciated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply)

Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Nigerian Police Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.