Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year (23138 Views)

Cutting The Connection Between My Wife And Her Male Besty / Is There Anything Wrong If I Don't Cut My Little Baby's Hair / 1 Year After Marriage, I Am Already Tired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by irunoko(m): 4:38pm On Jan 08, 2023
freshtimi:
No mind them. My boy is almost one and nobody dares touch his hair
does he have dreadlock hair as in Dada hair??
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by toprealman: 4:50pm On Jan 08, 2023
Jones90:
Op you are just in my mind. I wanted to ask this same question here but i was trying to avoid insult from some NLders.

My daughter will be a year old next month and i love how full her hair have grown and i don't want to cut it, but i don't know if there's any repercussions for not doing that
I am sure you insult people a lot that's why you kept the question to yourself.
Next time ask, the only daft question is the one not asked.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Ayobeck(m): 4:57pm On Jan 08, 2023
U b cele member,if u b cele don't cut it oo
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by 1Sharon(f): 5:54pm On Jan 08, 2023
Sweetplum:
Nothing special. Muslims cut their kids hair before 7days.
Those that kept the hair do so fir fashion or religious sake. Especially Cele Church or C&S people when they give birth to kids with dreads

How can a kid be born with dreads??
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by 1Sharon(f): 5:55pm On Jan 08, 2023
ITbomb:
So that the remaining baby hair fall off while stronger normal hair sprout out

Especially for females, it helps when you want to plait later

It will fall off anyway. Hair sheds and breaks.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 08, 2023
1Sharon:

How can a kid be born with dreads
Kids grow dread. I v not born a kid but I v seen 3-6 months with strands of dreads and later they v it. It's called dada in Yoruba language
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by 1Sharon(f): 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2023
Sweetplum:

Kids grow dread. I v not born a kid but I v seen 3-6 months with strands of dreads and later they v it. It's called dada in Yoruba language

A baby can never be born with dreads like you initially said.

Dreads only form when the hair is neglected and uncombed.

Nigerians need to stop staying that crap.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Lance00009: 6:03pm On Jan 08, 2023
Why you go beleive such
Tell white man such make you see he reaction
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2023
ITbomb:
So that the remaining baby hair fall off while stronger normal hair sprout out

Especially for females, it helps when you want to plait later
That is silly! Nature takes care of that all by itself. undecided
https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/ask-heidi/newborn-hair.aspx

1 Like

Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On Jan 08, 2023
irunoko:
Nothing like dada abeg! There are different hair textures and management differs for each texture and coarseness. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by 1Sharon(f): 6:26pm On Jan 08, 2023
irunoko:

Dreads only happen when hair is neglected.

1 Like

Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Octobertwentysix(f): 6:31pm On Jan 08, 2023
It means nothing, my first child up till now had not cut her baby hair all I do is to trim it, my second child had her first haircut at 6 months because it wasn't growing evenly, while my last child a boy had his first haircut at 1 year plus only because it was too thick and I was finding it difficult to comb it. If you can maintain the hair and keep it clean, by all means do.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Octobertwentysix(f): 6:36pm On Jan 08, 2023
Jones90:
Op you are just in my mind. I wanted to ask this same question here but i was trying to avoid insult from some NLders.

My daughter will be a year old next month and i love how full her hair have grown and i don't want to cut it, but i don't know if there's any repercussions for not doing that

No repercussions, my first child is 10+ and still has her baby hair.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Crystalom5: 6:42pm On Jan 08, 2023
free2ryhme:

The reason is that combing full grown hair for baby becomes increasingly painful and causes discomfort for the child so cut it to all fresh hair growth.
Op no go understand
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by PAQ(m): 7:12pm On Jan 08, 2023
My girls are 11 & 7yrs old. My wife & i chose not to cut their hairs. Right now when she braids their hair it goes slightly below the neck, long & beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Probz(m): 7:34pm On Jan 08, 2023
What hair are they really going to have by that age anyway?
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by jgbemson1: 7:55pm On Jan 08, 2023
Mine is 3 ...no hair cut ...
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by aalangel(f): 7:56pm On Jan 08, 2023
Bayonet40:
Good evening nairalanders.
Why do Nigerians believe that you must have to cut your baby's hair (especially male babies) immediately they reach 1 year?
Is there any theory here?
People have been suggesting that I cut my boy's hair when he reaches 1 year which is some days from now, he has much hair which I plan to maintain and keep in a good shape.

It's Crap...I didnt do it.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by frozen70(f): 8:33pm On Jan 08, 2023
spartoo:

You didn't answer the question. He's asking if it is necessary to cut a child's hair when they clock 1, or is it an unnecessary superstition?

Read my comments again and again
The answer to his questions are there
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Kamachicho(f): 8:44pm On Jan 08, 2023
Ego2:
My niece is almost 5y/o and no one has touched her hair and nothing have or has happened.

My own daughter will be 10years old and no razor has touched her hair. And like someone said earlier it is our choice.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by SodiumValproate: 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2023
Bayonet40:
Why do Nigerians believe that you must have to cut your baby's hair (especially male babies) immediately they reach 1 year?
People have been suggesting that I cut my boy's hair when he reaches 1 year which is some days from now, he has much hair which I plan to maintain and keep in a good shape.

Even Samson mama barb him hair when him reach one year grin

1 Like

Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Ogatobe: 12:57am On Jan 09, 2023
I don't know a lot of things but one thing I know very well is that you don't joke with tradition.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Ego2(f): 2:48am On Jan 09, 2023
Kamachicho:

My own daughter will be 10years old and no razor has touched her hair. And like someone said earlier it is our choice.
exactly one's choice.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by phemmyfour: 8:02am On Jan 09, 2023
Bayonet40:

Kids susceptible to lice at that age. Except you can do 24/7 monitoring, it's advisable that you cut it
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Solocoin: 9:29am On Jan 09, 2023
Since it's not our culture to keep long hair I think that is the reason some people cult it when the baby is one year and this is not applicable to all the children because those who doesn't have hair what will you cut and those who have much you might cut it before they reach one year. Like my sister she cut her son hair when he was six months because the boy have much hair and won't allow her to comb it.
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by Sleekfingers: 11:17am On Jan 09, 2023
Bayonet40:

All my kids. Na 7 days Dem all Barbe gorimapa .......

The choice is yours .....
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by edunaragold(f): 12:29pm On Jan 09, 2023
Bayonet40:

came back home one evening and saw my daughter hair was cut, i change hand for my wife o,its made me mad,tilk now it hurts me, i dont like it too
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by KingAlige: 2:37pm On Jan 09, 2023
It's not necessary, my boy is 5 years, my daughter 7 years old, the both of them have not cut their hair before
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by galantjoe(m): 3:04pm On Jan 09, 2023
Cutting child hair for the first time has spiritual undertone. I lost my first child, a boy because I didn't do shalaka that is inviting children for his 1 year birthday In order to cut his hair. He died 1 month after mysteriously. After I cut his hairs

Traditions and cultures matter alot. many of them have spiritual undertone. Ask questions before u do or undo any of them.

So, in our culture in Anambra state, if your new born has locked hair from birth, you can't just cut his or her hair without doing some rites or shalaka or small children party. It is a must except you don't want that child to live well. You can defer the cutting after 1 year
Re: Cutting Your Baby's Hair When He/she Clocks 1 Year by southome(m): 6:43pm On Jan 09, 2023
Well, I've asked that question before and the reason I got was that baby hair, that is the hair that came from inside the womb is Slimy and not strong, it cannot be easily plaited or trimmed, so when it's cut stronger hair will grow. I cut my boys hair at 1year, but u see my daughter, nobody dares touch that hair till she's 18 and decides by herself. Even if the school wants it cut, I'll change school. Nobody cuts my princess' hair. Nobody. You have me to deal with

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. / Couples Not Staying Together / Happy Birthday To Me And My Twin Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.