Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Do We Actually Need English Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do We Actually Need English Names (8886 Views)

Please I Need English/ French Interpretation / The Essence Of English Names? / Funny English Names That The Igbos Bear. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Ngodigha: 7:02pm On Sep 04, 2011
Why are people so worried of English and Christian names. How about Arabic and Islamic names such as:
Haruna
Lukman
Railwan.
Mustapha
Ibrahim
Taofeek,
Malik.Tajuden
Waheed
Rashid
Idris.
Yusuf, Falilat, Fatima, Aishat, Khadijat, etc.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 7:12pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ngodigha:

Why are people so worried of English and Christian names. How about Arabic and Islamic names such as:
Haruna
Lukman
Railwan.
Mustapha
Ibrahim
Taofeek,
Malik.Tajuden
Waheed
Rashid
Idris.
Yusuf, Falilat, Fatima, Aishat, Khadijat, etc.

The same thing goes for Arabic names. They are foreign just like English and Hebrew names.

1 Like

Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 7:13pm On Sep 04, 2011
teemon:

Swear say you self no get English name now smiley

My English name is James but i don't use it no more. My secondary school peeps know me by that name but i changed it immiedately i got out. I don't look "Jamesee" in any way.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Builder: 7:14pm On Sep 04, 2011
Shamefully, bearing an English name these days is a sign of "wanting to belong", besides we are at an ear whereby adopting a foreigh name and western culture is the order of the day, even those bearing native names prefer to spell it using foreign connotations to it, eg DOLAPO is now spealy DORLARPOR. Its saddens me to the nigerian culture been eroded by what is now known as the "in thing", in the light of the above, its wise to say that in the next 10 years , the nigerian culture would fail to exist due to western influence
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 04, 2011
Builder:

Shamefully, bearing an English name these days is a sign of "wanting to belong", besides we are at an ear whereby adopting a foreigh name and western culture is the order of the day, even those bearing native names prefer to spell it using foreign connotations to it, eg DOLAPO is now spealy DORLARPOR. Its saddens me to the nigerian culture been eroded by what is now known as the "in thing", in the light of the above, its wise to say that in the next 10 years , the nigerian culture would fail to exist due to western influence
I agree with everything you wrote. Its really sad. I doubt there'll be any culture and tradition left in Nigeria in the next 20 years.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Builder: 7:42pm On Sep 04, 2011
Hey, sorry for my grammartical disaster and spelling mistakes, i was just pissed hence the mistakes
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Tochex101(m): 8:13pm On Sep 04, 2011
I still say english names are not necessray.Have you ever seen a chinese man or an indian woman using an english name as FIRST NAME?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 8:20pm On Sep 04, 2011
What an inane topic!
It is even more odious that someone's choice of name can be condemned by others. What business of you folks is it if someone decides to bear any name of his/her choosing? How does a native name make you  more Nigerian than someone with a name that foreign in origin?

If you want to be a better, more patriotic Nigerian, focus on paying your tax, obeying the law and seeking out opportunities to help your fellow man. Not to come on a public forum and try to bash others for their own choice of names.

Builder:

Hey, sorry for my grammartical disaster and spelling mistakes, i was just pissed hence the mistakes

You're 'pissed' because people who owe you no explanation have chosen to name their kids what they feel like and these same kids use the name without any issue?
I think the imbecility you and your ilk display is a far worse threat to Nigeria's future prosperity than anyone out there who chooses to call himself 'James'.

Intelligent people worry about hard facts like the fact that only about 50% of Nigerians pay their utility bills.
Imbeciles worry that someone else chooses to call himself James instead of Osahon.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 8:23pm On Sep 04, 2011
Tochex101:

I still say english names are not necessray.Have you ever seen a chinese man or an indian woman using an english name as FIRST NAME?

Jackie Chan
Bruce Lee grin

Here's a tip buddy; Why don't YOU go out and have kids and then give them only native names because that's what YOU want and stop preaching to others. Ok?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 8:24pm On Sep 04, 2011
texazzpete:

Jackie Chan
Bruce Lee.

These are their stage names and not their real names.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Builder: 8:31pm On Sep 04, 2011
texazzpete, oi boi why u dey vex like dis. u dont have to reply to my lyrics bro, its a free world, i have my views so do u . besides why must u be offensive to prove a point, well, like i said its a free world
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by seedord247(m): 8:35pm On Sep 04, 2011
No we don't . . . .

But some Igbo name are very bad to pronounce. . . . sometimes if you register some igbo name's on Internet that when you see the PC or the Internet connection having problem.

can somebody tell me the meaning of this igbo name's

Ogaraku okoronkwo okija
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2011
@OP and the rest of you posters
Are you guys for real?
Can sombody define what they mean by ENGLISH NAME to me and if such exist plz?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 8:44pm On Sep 04, 2011
afam4eva:

These are their stage names and not their real names.

Those are the names they answer to. They are known by those names all over the world. They chose those name for themselves.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 8:46pm On Sep 04, 2011
Builder:

texazzpete, oi boi why u dey vex like dis. u dont have to reply to my lyrics bro, its a free world, i have my views so do u . besides why must u be offensive to prove a point, well, like i said its a free world

'It's a free world' yet you dey vex because people (whose lives are no concern of yours) made their own choice?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2011
texazzpete:

Those are the names they answer to. They are known by those names all over the world. They chose those name for themselves.
NO you are dangerously wrong there, these are thier real name .
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 8:48pm On Sep 04, 2011
Im wating 4 sombody to define an English name to me ohhh lol we 9ja are very funny people, we some time dust our ignorance to the world without even knowing lol
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2011
erico2k2:

@OP  and the rest of you posters
 Are you guys for real?
Can sombody define what they mean by ENGLISH NAME to  me  and if such exist plz?

Leave them, they don't realize that they are already 25% of the way to being just like Boko Haram.

Someone tell me if there's any significant difference between these two statements

1. Western education is the source of our problems and corruption in Nigeria. it should be abolished! Forbidden! Haram! - Boko Haram

2. English names erode our culture! It must be abolished! Forbidden! Haram! - Builder, Tochex, Afam4eva
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2011
erico2k2:

NO you are dangerously wrong there, these are thier real name .

Bruce Lee's birth name was Lee Jun-Fan. I'm not wrong, sorry.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by MMM2(m): 8:51pm On Sep 04, 2011
i dont have an african name angry
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 8:59pm On Sep 04, 2011
texazzpete:

Bruce Lee's birth name was Lee Jun-Fan. I'm not wrong, sorry.
I understand that, I do, but that dont mean its his stage name, its his real name in life ,he attained that name when he returned   back to the US and claimed his citezenship he changed his name to bruice lee then,that was when he was 18  and even b4 he knew he was going to B an actor.SO my friend you where %50 wrong  lol tongue tongue
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Ifecotag: 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2011
I think the most fundamentally problem wey dey kill our people for Niaja and Africa na massive dose of inferiority complex! Even our president they suffer from it, that is why he went ahead and recognized the Libyan "rebels" to please the WEST, why black Africans and black Libyans are being slaughtered by these same rebels. Bring back likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Kwame Nkrumah, these are men who fought for Pan-Africanism with pride. Their names is a testament to that. Not "Good-luck Jonathan", "Mark David West", Haba, na when our eyes go open naaaaaaaa?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 04, 2011
I have an Scots and a native name. I love my Scots name. It is up to people to use the names they prefer. No one should force anyone to answer the name they do no want. In Nigeria tribalism is a serious problem and people should rather work towards tackling that problem. There are bigger fishes to fry.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ifecotag:

I think the most fundamentally problem wey dey kill our people for Niaja and Africa na massive dose of inferiority complex! Even our president they suffer from it, that is why he went ahead and recognized the Libyan "rebels" to please the WEST, why black Africans and black Libyans are being slaughtered by these same rebels. Bring back likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, Kwame Nkrumah, these are men who fought for Pan-Africanism with pride. Their names is a testament to that. Not "Good-luck Jonathan", "Mark David West", Haba, na when our eyes go open naaaaaaaa?
Ok now you rant is over,calmly define the TERM ENGLISH name to me plzz
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by dempeople(m): 9:06pm On Sep 04, 2011
This is the more reason why we need a cultural revolution. On the whole, I think its inferiority complex or ignorance that makes people to bear foreign names - be it Arabic or christian. If our leaders have a bit of grey matter, we would have implemented core Africanism long ago. By the way, I don't have English names and my children and posterity wouldn't bear any.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 9:08pm On Sep 04, 2011
dem_people:

This is the more reason why we need a cultural revolution. On the whole, I think its inferiority complex or ignorance that makes people to bear foreign names - be it Arabic or christian. If our leaders have a bit of grey matter, we would have implemented core Africanism long ago. By the way, I don't have English names and my children and posterity wouldn't bear any.
So in your opinion how would you define English or a forign name??
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by IbroSaunks(m): 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2011
claremont:

On the contrary, our culture is our identity. Traditional/native names only form a minuscule part of what defines us as a people, there are a whole lot of other aspects of our culture that gives us our identity. In my opinion, I don't see how an African having an "English/German/French" name makes him less of an African than someone who has a native name. "African-ness" is NOT demonstrated by a name, neither is an African identified by his first name; it is his holistic culture that makes him/her an African.

I don't have an English name, both my names are 100% native; but I don't consider myself more "African" than another African who doesn't have a native name. We share a common identity.

I actually think it comes a long way when it comes to showing how proud we r of our native names, and not in makin us who we r. Ur right, but many peeps hide their native names cos they r ashamed of em, pushin em aside and valuing their "english names more".
Also I think english names r plain boring! I get tired hearing names like ashley and all, native names r usually more interesting and easy to remember! cheesy
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 9:27pm On Sep 04, 2011
we are failing to notice here that teh so called English names are actually called Christian names , and has got nothing to do with Englishnes,ie PETER as a name Existed long B4 anyword of English was spoken or written,so topic is unfounded
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by eldee(m): 9:42pm On Sep 04, 2011
This issue has been over-flogged. . .most times when Nigerians use this names, they're tied to religion.
It is ignorant and inherently selfish to claim that using a name like Michael is to deprive a Nigerian of his identity.

If we talk about Nigerian identity, religion is a big part of it. And yes, accept it or not, Christianity is a big part of Nigerian Identity, that's why Pastor E.A Adeboye is the most influential Nigerian.

And let's then come back to it, why should my identity as an African any less prominent than yours because my name is James?

So I speak Yoruba, I live in Lagos, we watch the same NTA News, face the same issues, share the same Nigerian friends, eat the same type of food, have the same ceremonial rites for marriages, burials, birthdays, etc . . . but you're more Nigerian than I am because your name is Oluwaniyomitoriawonotalemisugbonwonrimimu??
The idea is hilarious, and a lil daft.

I guess Nelson Mandela is less South African because his name is not Mulabonda Mandela.

And isn't it hypocritical to see nothing wrong with the Hausa people naming themselves Mohammed and Fatima, but to start a WWIII because an Igbo guy is called James.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Ifecotag: 9:51pm On Sep 04, 2011
@OP

Some people give or bear names like "junior", "Eric", "Shelly", "Jessica", "Linda" without knowing what they mean. They even think it is trendy and wants their kids to belong. A famous African American once said "the white man knows you(African Americans/Africans) more than you know yourself".

During the Harlem Renaissance , Enlightened African Americans began to go back to their roots and started given their children African names like Kwame, Ashanti, Kanye, Adaeze and so on. Do some research. We need to stop this inferiority complex and educate our future generation in every facets of life to be proud of their heritage. The underlying truth is that, the white man tends to respect an African man that cherishes his culture than one who fakes himself to belong to the western world. Because, they know that we Africans have a very rich cultural heritage.

Has anyone heard of an operating system called "Ubuntu"? It is the 4th widely used system and growing fast. The project was initiated by a white South Africa that named it after a traditional African philosophy.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 9:58pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ifecotag:

@OP

Some people give or bear names like "junior", "Eric", "Shelly", "Jessica", "Linda" without knowing what they mean. They even think it is trendy and wants their kids to belong. A famous African American once said "the white man knows you(African Americans/Africans) more than you know yourself".

During the Harlem Renaissance , Enlightened African Americans began to go back to their roots and started given their children African names like Kwame, Ashanti, Kanye, Adaeze and so on. Do some research. We need to stop this inferiority complex and educate our future generation in every facets of life to be proud of their heritage.  The underlying truth is that, the white man tends to respect an African man that cherishes his culture than one who fakes himself to belong to the western world. Because, they know that we Africans have a very rich cultural heritage.

Has anyone heard of an operating system called "Ubuntu"? It is the 4th widely used system and growing fast. The project was initiated by a white South Africa that named it after a traditional African philosophy.
All what you just said does not adress the question at hand,I said earlier that the names PETER AND PAUL existed way long B4  English was spoken or written even b4 our so call Africa was carved as a continent or even B4 your language came into existence so what are we talking about here, are these not symptoms of backwardness or shall I dare say ignorance
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2011
@eldee
So, names like James, Jeremiah, Jesus are christian names? Pls explain, because the ignorance being displayed on this thread is legendary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / Somalis In Nigeria / Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.