Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,132 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Do We Actually Need English Names - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do We Actually Need English Names (8887 Views)

Please I Need English/ French Interpretation / The Essence Of English Names? / Funny English Names That The Igbos Bear. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2011
afam4eva:

@eldee
So, names like James, Jeremiah, Jesus are christian names? Pls explain, because the ignorance being displayed on this thread is legendary.
are you 4 real??
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by eldee(m): 10:14pm On Sep 04, 2011
afam4eva:

@eldee
So, names like James, Jeremiah, Jesus are christian names? Pls explain, because the ignorance being displayed on this thread is legendary.

The fact that they're English translations of Jewish names is a side-issue. . . their origins are from Christianity, and the intention of most people that use them as names for their kids are Christian values.

Now Christianity and the act of being religious is a big part of modern Nigerian culture, there's nothing wrong with names like James and John in my opinion.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 10:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
@erico
Yes, I'm for real. You nko?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Ifecotag: 10:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
@eric02k2

Go and learn some history. Africans have the longest history, even before the Europeans discovered themselves, They too can attest to that, hence, the research they have been conducting. Do not be brainwashed. It seems you are suffering from self hatred.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 10:18pm On Sep 04, 2011
@eldee
I cant belive afam4eva was asking that question, did he not bother to check the bible b4 he came on here  lol thses names where in existence long B4 English,anyway some people dnt kno
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ifecotag:

@eric02k2

Go and learn some history. Africans have the longest history, even before the Europeans discovered themselves, They too can attest to that, hence, the research they have been conducting. Do not be brainwashed. It seems you are suffering from self hatred.
lol u r funny ,well,lets test you so called broad knowledge and un brainwashed brain,Tell me the history of the name JAMES.Im waiting no bashing, just lets see howmuch history you know.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 10:24pm On Sep 04, 2011
@erico
Your ignorance is top-notch. I have to give it to you. How dare you call a 100% unadulterated judaic names, Christian names. When did christianity start?  People have been bearing those names thousands of years BC. So, what are you talking about. Infact, it's people who practice Judaism that should bear such names. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never come across the word "christianity" in the Bible.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Yeske2(m): 10:25pm On Sep 04, 2011
Thank God i have no problem with this, my three names are all Igbo names ending with Chukwu
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 10:31pm On Sep 04, 2011
afam4eva:

@erico
Your ignorance is top-notch. I have to give it to you. How dare you call a 100% unadulterated judaic names, Christian names. When did christianity start?  People have been bearing those names thousands of years BC. So, what are you talking about. Infact, it's people who practice Judaism that should bear such names. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never come across the word "christianity" in the Bible.
well now you r insultive, but I just realised you r 25 but at that age I have already finished Uni and well groomed,so you think Im ignorant of the name JAMES you failed to tell me its history or where and how it was derived or its origin??
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by eldee(m): 10:32pm On Sep 04, 2011
afam4eva:

@erico

This is kinda dumb to be honest.

1. They are adulterated Hebrew names. . . hence the fact that they're spelt and pronounced differently according to the language.
2. They are names with biblical ties . . . are we seriously going to try to separate Christianity from the Bible?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Dozzy3(m): 10:35pm On Sep 04, 2011
I don't get this? why u dey get headache for name wey parents decide to give their pikin? How e take concern u?
Just like so many pointed out the next thing after names una go begin say our religion na imported; make them begin teach us chemistry & geography with yoruba,then degree say anybody wey wan post for nairaland must do am in any Nigerian language (only in hausa, igbo and yoruba oh!(as if na the only languages wey dey naija)[size=8pt][/size]).
Really how is this different from being a boko haramist?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 10:40pm On Sep 04, 2011
@ eldee
the boy is 25 years Old hence his reasoning,we dont know his level of education yet hence teh decline in rational ways of thinking
@ afam4eva
I hate to insult people on here but for your stupidity I will break that rule your ignorance is a container load
JAMES is  HEBREW meaning or translated to mean SUPPLANTER
and HEBREW WAS THE LANGUAGE JESUS SPOKE
Now there aint nothing christian about that, i was making refrence to the bible cos of the age of the name if you could barely think out of the Box which you definately lack
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Ifecotag: 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2011
@ Mr Erico

The poster emphasized 'English' and not 'Jewish or Hebrew' names. Westerners borrowed Jewish names, and anglicized it.

Binyamin to Benjamin, Yoshua to Joshua and so on. Even, there was a time when Europeans can tell who is Jewish by their names.

Mark zuckerberg--- Founder of facebook= Jewish
Paul Krugman= Nobel Laureate , Economics= Jewish and countless of them.

In fact , there was a time in Europe, Jewish people began to change their names to avoid discrimination. The core reason for the establishment of Jewish state--Israel, is for them to be able to espouse their Jewishness proudly without being a target of some sort.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 10:50pm On Sep 04, 2011
@erico
And how old are u exactly. With the ignorance you've displayed on this thread, I'd have guessed that you're probably in high school and forgive your mental poverty and continure to provide food for your thought. But since you said you're older than 25, I must say they you should be ashamed of yourself. Youstated that names like James etc are Jewish names with english adulteration. With the same mouth you said they are Christians names. So, I guess Jewish is the language for christians, so, we should make do with our native languages too. You speak from both sides of your mouth.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by AndreUweh(m): 11:10pm On Sep 04, 2011
My name is Andrew. Sadly, the name is in all my certificates.

1 Like

Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by macjive01: 11:19pm On Sep 04, 2011
hi andrew can i talk to you for a minute?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 11:55pm On Sep 04, 2011
you silly lil boy, Im way older than 25 more than 10 years, why dont you google the name JAMES and paste what you come up with on here, the name is HEBREW
and well you tell me one English NAME YOU KNOW
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 11:59pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ifecotag
I understood what he OP said, my argument is for sombody to tell me or mention one name that is ENGLISH that we name our kids in NIGERIA, wel let me start with you name one Plz i would give an example of what English name look like ie WOOD.thats a typical ENGLISH NAME
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by dabrake(m): 12:16am On Sep 05, 2011
blame gej
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by darqly(m): 12:23am On Sep 05, 2011
Tis neither here nor there. Having an african name doesn't increase one jot of africaness in you- Ask all the afroamericans with silly africanized names like moesha, ayeesha and kaeesha. Likewise an english or bible name doesn't erode where you're from in any way.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by odumchi: 12:28am On Sep 05, 2011
The main reason why we bear Western Names is that when the first Europeans arrived at our settlements, they asked: "What is your name?"
and we answered: "My name is Obinna (Not my name) Nwa Anicho".
The European then proceeded in saying "Your name is not valid, you must select a valid 'Judeo-Christian' name" and thus we initially began answering names like: Jacob, John, Moses, Abraham, Sarah, Andrew, Jonathan, Jeremiah and etc.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by kabukabu50(m): 1:51am On Sep 05, 2011
How about,Muhammed,and Zainab, many of Nigerians ditch their native names for "arabic" names, not only western names.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by erico2k2(m): 2:06am On Sep 05, 2011
kabukabu50:

How about,Muhammed,and Zainab, many of Nigerians ditch their native names for "arabic" names, not only western names.
these are Muslim names.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Princek12(m): 4:40am On Sep 05, 2011
Bottom line, most people who name their children Christian names have inferiority complex and want to belong. Nothing worse than meeting a girl who is from Nigeria tell you her name is "Shemika Nwokoro" or Jessica Ogunbiyi. Be proud of your culture. Don't let the white man rub you of your identity.

And to all the mugus who say a name is not important and that people should name their children whatever name they like, check your history. A name signifies pride and cultural identity. When slaves were brought to America, the first thing the white man did was to change their African names.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by dont8(m): 5:12am On Sep 05, 2011
But muslims belief you got to have an arabic name for you to be truely becomes a muslim,how true is this?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 7:06am On Sep 05, 2011
I don't know why we are arguing about this matter.
The OP and the people who support his point of view are imbecilic dolts! End of story.

Using their logic, D'Banj (doesn't use a Christian/English name) is more 'african' and 'patriotic' than Herbert Macaulay ever was.
Sani Abacha should be more revered than Nelson Mandela.

Perhaps[b] Patrice[/b] Lumumba must have suffered from 'inferiority complex'. Ditto for Robert Mugabe.

This topic is almost as stoopid as the one last year where someone claimed all our problems in Nigeria came from the fact that the country was named by a white woman.

Princek12:

Bottom line, most people who name their children Christian names have inferiority complex and want to belong. Nothing worse than meeting a girl who is from Nigeria tell you her name is "Shemika Nwokoro" or Jessica Ogunbiyi. Be proud of your culture. Don't let the white man rub you of your identity.

And to all the mugus who say a name is not important and that people should name their children whatever name they like, check your history. A name signifies pride and cultural identity. When slaves were brought to America, the first thing the white man did was to change their African names.

Even Malcolm X retained his first name without any qualms, and he was 1000x the man you'll ever be. Which African tribe did the name 'Malcolm' originate from? Can you convince anyone that he was suffering from 'inferiority complex'?
The only positive thing about this topic is that it brings out many of the intellectual midgets on Nairaland that we may know them. I will not take you seriously on Nairaland ever again.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by Afam4eva(m): 7:27am On Sep 05, 2011
Nobody's saying that bearing a native name makes you more African than someone else. The point is that many Nigerians look down on their native names. So, to then they think they're more superirior or enlightened if they go by an oyibo name. Having an indegenoug name is just a way of showing how proud you're of your culture and also helps in propagating it. We want our languages to be able to compete with other popular languages such as English, Spanish etc.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 7:38am On Sep 05, 2011
afam4eva:

Nobody's saying that bearing a native name makes you more African than someone else. The point is that many Nigerians look down on their native names. So, to then they think they're more superirior or enlightened if they go by an oyibo name.

You and your cohorts have made a blanket statement, condemning use of non-native names as if ALL Nigerians who use them do so because of some 'inferiority complex'. It's a brainless thing to generalize, sorry.

afam4eva:

Having an indegenoug name is just a way of showing how proud you're of your culture and also helps in propagating it.

We heard the same argument for the use of tribal marks before. Tell me, how many of your kids will you give tribal marks? Or if you have kids, how many have you already marked?
I suspect the answer to that is ZERO. How does hypocrisy taste?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by sweetgala(m): 9:59am On Sep 05, 2011
To add my 2 kobo, I have always been suspicious of Africans that give their children names like Shirley, ashley, William,Alex,  Brian, Kelvin and such names, and that is where the problem lies in that these names have no cultural, personal or religious meaning.
Another thing we need to understand is that judo-xtain names are different to English names , take for instance this scenario as it is meant to happen, " a child is born, traditionally family members give him/her traditional names or a name to honour a close relation or friend( even if English as listed above). If the family is xtain on the christening the religious leader should ask the family to choose a religious name of any language as appropriate e.g joh, peter, Sarah, James , oluwaseyi, chuckwu emeka . If Muslim an Islamic name is given as appropriate e.g aishat, Mohammed, Ahmed, suliat.

As concerns African-Americans who choose African names they mostly choose swahili and ashanti names that had a meaning and even yoruba names, this came along with a general African awakening they didn't just choose the name they choose and leant of the culture.

People that say a name means little should go to places like Ireland , wales and Scotland where Celtic tribes reside and note how schiobhain, Aodhan(Aiden), màire(Mary), Eibhilin( Eileen) are tribal cultural names with their English versions alongside. You can really anger a Celtic person by pronouncing or spelling their names in an English way trust me I grew up in Ireland and I've seen people take it very personal. Intact more kids are receiving very gaelic names to honour the culture.
How a nigerian can come to be named Brian surprises me except where the individual is named to honour a friend by that name or given a gaelic version to honour a relevant culture.

Please don't get me started on moesha,  shanequa, kendra, etc because those are just silly names contrived to by silly people they have no meaning .

The name you are given carries a meaning be it in any language, and that carries power. I had an Irish lecturer who pronounced my name kehinde fluently never had to correct him, do I need to say he was a favourite.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by folahann(m): 11:32am On Sep 05, 2011
Interesting, very interesting indeed.
Yes, having an English or Biblical (Hebrew/Jewish) name doesn't necessarily decrease  African someone is.
But I think we have to maintain our tradition of naming people our cultural names though I'm ok with names like James, Peter, Esther cos they are biblical. But names like Richard, Jessica, Jennifer, Ernest, Clement, Henry, Collins, Anita,Tracy, Herbert etc have their origin to be Welsh, English or French, these are native name of people from somewhere else.

Why most you give your children a name from another man's country? Some children who also have  both local and foreign even prefer to use the foreign one, some even modernize local name to sound English eg Chukwuka/Chukwuma - chucks, Dolapo - Dolly, Aanuoluwapo - Any, Chinagoromu - Chi-chi and so on. Maybe inferiority complex maybe not.
These days, people look down upon local names and see having one to be primitive, which is very bad.
Some of the people called Shelly, Tracy, Portia, Cassandra, Pierre don't  even know the meaning of their name SMH

Learn fro the Chinese, Koreans and Eastern Europeans, they have very difficult to pronounce names yet they keep them.
Sade Adu
Chinua Achebe
Kofi Annan
Kunta Kinte
Wole Soyinka
Kwame Nkrumah
Buchi Emecheta
Seikue Toure
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Prominent British actor) to mention but a few
all made it with their African names, google them if you've heard any of the names.
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 12:42pm On Sep 05, 2011
sweet_gala:

People that say a name means little should go to places like Ireland , wales and Scotland where Celtic tribes reside and note how schiobhain, Aodhan(Aiden), màire(Mary), Eibhilin( Eileen) are tribal cultural names with their English versions alongside. You can really anger a Celtic person by pronouncing or spelling their names in an English way trust me I grew up in Ireland and I've seen people take it very personal. Intact more kids are receiving very gaelic names to honour the culture.

Everyone knows a lot of the Irish harbor an ancient hatred for the English after centuries of oppression. Why give this flawed sample as an example?

folahann:

Interesting, very interesting indeed.
Yes, having an English or Biblical (Hebrew/Jewish) name doesn't necessarily decrease  African someone is.
But I think we have to maintain our tradition of naming people our cultural names though I'm ok with names like James, Peter, Esther cos they are biblical. But names like Richard, Jessica, Jennifer, Ernest, Clement, Henry, Collins, Anita,Tracy, Herbert etc have their origin to be Welsh, English or French, these are native name of people from somewhere else.

This doesn't make any sense. Why is it ok to give children Hebrew names but suddenly becomes Haram to give children names with German, English or french origin? What makes them different because they are in the Bible?
Re: Do We Actually Need English Names by texazzpete(m): 12:45pm On Sep 05, 2011
sweet_gala:

To add my 2 kobo, I have always been suspicious of Africans that give their children names like Shirley, ashley, William,Alex,  Brian, Kelvin and such names, and that is where the problem lies in that these names have no cultural, personal or religious meaning.

1. Quick question: Are you also suspicious of Africans with no Facial tribal marks?
2. Are you also suspicious of Africans who wear 'foreign' clothes like Jeans?

Finally, if you believe these names you quoted have no 'personal' meaning, you're beyond hope.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Mothers Day Quotes And Sayings / Somalis In Nigeria / Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.