Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,814 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It (18199 Views)

Tinubu: I Will Remove Fuel Subsidy, Your Protests Won’t Stop Me / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Oil Subsidy Must End, Peter Obi Declares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ganisucks(f): 9:20pm On Jan 08, 2023
Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has promised that if elected in next month’s polls, he will see to it that subsidy is removed as planned by the incumbent administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Payment of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government is scheduled to end by June 30 this year.
“They have removed it. That’s what they’ve done,” he said during a live appearance on Channels Television’s

The People’s Townhall in Abuja on Sunday. “But I can assure you, it will go immediately. Subsidy – I’ve said it before – is organised crime and I will not allow it to stay a day longer.”

“What they’re telling you is not what it is. Half of what is being mentioned is not subsidy. First is that we consume the quantity that is not supposed to be consumed here. We are the same population with Pakistan. They consume below 50 percent of what we consume.

“So, the first half, I will remove it and give those people who are drinking it water – because that’s what they’re supposed to drink – so we can save the money.”

Obi further noted that, at present, Nigeria is burdened with debts. According to him, Nigeria needs the money to be able to invest in critical social development issues.

“Look at this year’s budget: education, which is the highest since this government came, is about N2 trillion. Health, which is the highest since this government came, is about N1.5 trillion. Then infrastructure, which is roads and everything, is about N1 trillion.

“These three critical development areas are receiving N4.5 trillion. Subsidy is N3.6 trillion – half year. So, if it’s a full year, it’s about N7 trillion. Which country will invest more in subsidy than education and health and even roads? It doesn’t make sense,” he said.

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/08/its-organised-crime-obi-vows-to-remove-subsidy/

109 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ican2020: 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2023
You and your fellow presidential candidates should stop all this childish talk

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

You shunned the root cause of fuel crisis and focused on chasing shadows

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira

132 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by wordbank(m): 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2023
grin
When GEJ said it, APC and tinubu criticised it. Look at where we are today and imagine what it will be if an ailing man is in charge of a country like Nigeria.
PO2023

190 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 9:21pm On Jan 08, 2023
I think All the Presidential aspirants agree that subsidy should go.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Bravetunde: 9:22pm On Jan 08, 2023
Obi the most sensible nigerian politician.
These man obi is too intelligent and good.

226 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ganisucks(f): 9:23pm On Jan 08, 2023
Rubbish. You'll do no such thing.
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

This is my personal appraisal of their performance at the townhall

Overall: 40%

Grammar: 35%

Presentation: 38%

Understanding and comprehension: 39%

Dissemination of information: 40%

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by copyrites: 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2023
ganisucks:
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

We definitely did not watch the same program. Perhaps, you were busy mesmerizing that Microphone lollipop licker

154 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 9:27pm On Jan 08, 2023
inflation will hit Nigerians harder once fuel prices go up..removing subsidy when you are not sure of getting the products internally,still depending on importation..na look I just dey look,e be like na juju this POLITICANS dey use,cus i don't understand how Nigerians buy all the nonsense these POLITICANS spill on daily basis

oga,tell us how you will tackle INFLATION..Nigerians ain't asking the right questions...our POLITICANS are too free and not tasked appropriately

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ucheheart(m): 9:29pm On Jan 08, 2023
We all know that subsidy ends with buhari, any presidential candidate that says he won't remove it, is only deceiving gullible Nigerians.

In the nutshell, if petrol is N450 a litre as at today, imagine what the cost of petrol will be from July this year. Nigerians tighten your seatbelt for the worst.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Eriokanmi: 9:30pm On Jan 08, 2023
ganisucks:

It's either you watched a different town hall meeting or you're being dishonest

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by habsydiamond(m): 9:37pm On Jan 08, 2023
Dem dey remove subsidy dem no ready to increase salary.. it seems they have forget that inflation will arise since our government is not ready to diversify.. is it a must that it must be crude oil that will be generating funds for this country why cant they give run to agriculture once again atleast Awolowo used it as the premier of the western region Nd it worked... with no proper planning everything will fall back to the masses.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Think9ja(m): 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2023
All the major candidates have all agreed that subsidy has to go

When (not if) he loses and Atiku comes in and removes this subsidy, let zombiedients not wail or say Pandora would have done something different from Atiku ooo toh

Let it be on record today that Pandora is also a supporter of subsidy removal.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Vinnie2000(m): 9:51pm On Jan 08, 2023
PETER OBI, The Right Man for Nigeria! cool

Those Person Rooting for Old, Unhealthy Men for President of Nigeria,
May your Living Conditions not be as their Health ooo..

Just Saying.. sad

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Hyland(m): 10:05pm On Jan 08, 2023
Vinnie2000:

PETER OBI, The Right Man for Nigeria! cool

Those Person Rooting for Old, Unhealthy Men for President of Nigeria,
May your Living Conditions not be as their Health ooo..

Just Saying.. sad
Zaddy please! cry Don’t do this to me !

Love can truly make one do stupid things.
Vinnie biko .

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Betanaija42moro: 11:03pm On Jan 08, 2023
Obi is the best man for the job

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by owobokiri(m): 11:11pm On Jan 08, 2023
ganisucks:

This is not a kindergarten school quize! Stop emberassing yourself, you dolt!
We are talking of core policy issues here and you're yapping about "grammar"!? What did you smoke!? Did the Chinese build their economy with English grammar Grammar Kee u dia!

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Racoon(m): 11:14pm On Jan 08, 2023
Subsidy gulps N150 billion every month.” N150 billion is still less than the N200 billion monthly transport bonus bill the regime will pay to 400 million Nigerians. In other words, Nigeria will spend more money on transport bonus to an amorphous, unidentifiable, and probably cooked-up 40 million poor Nigerians than the subsidies it says it pays on petroleum subsidies, which it says are too expensive to be sustainable. That makes absolutely no sense.

The last time the Buhari regime increased fuel prices last year, it said it had completely done away with fuel subsidies and had left the price of petrol to the vagaries of demand and supply. Now, the regime’s honchos say again that the subsidy they said they’d completely removed, for which there was no allocation in the 2021 budget, must be removed again! ....." 

https://gazettengr.com/farooq-kperogi-same-old-cruel-lies-to-justify-fuel-price-hike/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Racoon(m): 11:14pm On Jan 08, 2023
wordbank:
When GEJ said it, APC and tinubu criticised it. Look at where we are today and imagine what it will be if an ailing man is in charge of a country like Nigeria.
PO2023
You mind those bloody nauseating hypocrites? Today the heroine and cocaine sniffing cognitively impaired fella is shamelessly talking citizens that have suffered the maladministration of the govt he foist that he will remove a fuel subsidy the same govt have repeated lied about removing

19 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by BeardedmeatR(m): 11:21pm On Jan 08, 2023
A new Nigeria is POssible!

11 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by imohimoh12: 5:05am On Jan 09, 2023
lamba
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Oluwaseyi456(m): 5:06am On Jan 09, 2023
R
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Racoon(m): 5:06am On Jan 09, 2023
Subsidy gulps N150 billion every month.” N150 billion is still less than the N200 billion monthly transport bonus bill the regime will pay to 400 million Nigerians. In other words, Nigeria will spend more money on transport bonus to an amorphous, unidentifiable, and probably cooked-up 40 million poor Nigerians than the subsidies it says it pays on petroleum subsidies, which it says are too expensive to be sustainable. That makes absolutely no sense.

The last time the Buhari regime increased fuel prices last year, it said it had completely done away with fuel subsidies and had left the price of petrol to the vagaries of demand and supply. Now, the regime’s honchos say again that the subsidy they said they’d completely removed, for which there was no allocation in the 2021 budget, must be removed again! ....." https://gazettengr.com/farooq-kperogi-same-old-cruel-lies-to-justify-fuel-price-hike/

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Peterobiisathie(f): 5:06am On Jan 09, 2023
Copy copy

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:07am On Jan 09, 2023
The first sensible thing I have heard the LP candidate say.

Subsidy is like a monster. It eats your budget dry, and makes your country lose refining power, and causes severe debt

Sadly Nigerians cannot see.

Subsidy must go.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Paullo19: 5:08am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:

Oga go sleep...u no watch anything..if u watch and u saying this then it's either ur brain is not functioning properly or ur are blinded by partisan politics or by tribalism.

21 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:08am On Jan 09, 2023
I
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Toneypen247(m): 5:08am On Jan 09, 2023
Commendable

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Paullo19: 5:09am On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
inflation will hit Nigerians harder once fuel prices go up..removing subsidy when you are not sure of getting the products internally,still depending on importation..na look I just dey look,e be like na juju this POLITICANS dey use,cus i don't understand how Nigerians buy all the nonsense these POLITICANS spill on daily basis

oga,tell us how you will tackle INFLATION..Nigerians ain't asking the right questions...our POLITICANS are too free and not tasked appropriately

U just lack understanding.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Wickedfact: 5:10am On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:

When Soludo said Peter Obi is talented in multiplying poverty, you thought it was a joke?

5 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Trapnews: 5:10am On Jan 09, 2023
grin
Copy copy

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:11am On Jan 09, 2023
habsydiamond:
Dem dey remove subsidy dem no ready to increase salary.. it seems they have forget that inflation will arise since our government is not ready to diversify.. is it a must that it must be crude oil that will be generating funds for this country why cant they give run to agriculture once again atleast Awolowo used it as the premier of the western region Nd it worked... with no proper planning everything will fall back to the masses.

On the other hand, we keep subsidy....the cost keeps on rising...the deficit keeps on rising....and then we take more loans to cover our asses.

Either we pay market price of petrol at the pump....or we pay it at IMF HQ, and China People's bank HQ. You want us to take more loans.

Subsidy must go. PO, Atiku, Tinubu, even some of the minor candidates don say am.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by LagosLMIS: 5:11am On Jan 09, 2023
The Lagos State Government is introducing a Labour Market Information System that will provide job seekers with up-to-date information on the skills that are in demand in the local labor market. We would like jobseekers (employed, unemployed, underemployed, freelancer) to fill in this survey via this link:

https://www.research.net/r/FXNXXJ8
Your participation in this survey will be very much appreciated and your responses will be kept confidential. The survey should take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Your input is greatly appreciated.

PS: Only Lagos State Residents should fill this survey.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ondo: Olusola Oke Submits Nomination Forms, Insists On Direct Primary / Governor Zulum: Boko Haram Still Existing Strongly In Borno / Gridlock In Zamfara As Supporters Storm Streets Ahead Of Atiku’s Visit (Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.