Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It (18203 Views)

Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Oil Subsidy Must End, Peter Obi Declares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by plaindealer: 5:38am On Jan 09, 2023
Eriokanmi:
It's either you watched a different town hall meeting or you're being dishonest

It's more about how you process what's being said, not just the superficial and shallow rubbish with zero meaning or practicality.

Just like when he said he'll secure financing for projects because he's a trader so we should not worry about it, that was just a retarded comment, being a trader has nothing to do with governing or the ability to fund projects, project financing is part of a budgetary framework so why not just specify where the money will come from? Will it come from his trading activities or what.

That was just a dumb statement, but such rubbish gets swallowed up by poor info consumers and ignorant electorates, they don't look deeper, they don't think or ask questions, they just swallow.

Also about being stingy, he said it's not being stingy and it's more about investment and development, but if that was the case, what are the shinning examples of his investments an development in Anambra.? Nothing to show, just useless and meaningless words to fool unsuspecting low info consumers.

It's OK to be personally stingy if that's your way of life, but the rest of the country can't afford to be stingy, we work, we earn and we must spend money to keep our economy going, if we need a new pair of shoes and can afford it, by all means, buy it, it keeps the shoe seller in business, it keeps people employed.

Owambe alone is a multi-billion Naira super industry with millions of jobs from caterers to food vendors, makeup people, photographers, DJs, drink suppliers, printers, hall centers and so on so what if we all say oh, we are stingy like peter obi, what happens to this industry and our economy?

He's so stingy with the money that he parked his money in his secrete Pandora foreign account just to avoid taxes, taxes that you and I must pay to build roads, bridges, hospitals and so on, money that we need within our banking system to lend and create jobs, to circulate and virtualize our economy.

Imagine the rest of us hiding our money abroad out of our banking system like Peter Obi, what becomes of our economy? It will collapse.

The man is just too shallow and mentally backward in his thinking, his nonsense obviously sounds good to shallow people like him, but definitely dangerous for our economy.

Thank God that man won't smell Aso Rock.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ehissi(m): 5:38am On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:
You and your fellow presidential candidates should stop all this childish talk

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

You shunned the root cause of fuel crisis and focused on chasing shadows

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira

That is twice as dangerous as removing subsidy!! Because you automatically hand over your nations Economic security at both the macro and micro level to countries that will supply you petroluem products and they will use it against you the first chance they get!!

Look at Europe, because of Economic sanctions against Russia over the Ukraine war, Europe is buying gas from the US at 4 times the price........causing serious Economic crisis in Europe, that's how bad this thing is.....

You will say this with ease because it makes Economic sense, until the politics of international trade gets involved and price of fuel becomes #2500 per litre!

Then even you will fault your own logic!!

This is the problem of upcoming politicians who discuss National and international economics/trade without taking into consideration international politics!

Another thing Obi has failed to take into consideration with his awkward comparison with Pakistan is this.

According to the Pakistan Economic Survey 2021–22, the installed electricity generation capacity reached 41,557 MW in 2022. The maximum total demand coming from residential and industrial estates stands at nearly 31,000 MW, whereas the transmission and distribution capacity is stalled at approximately 22,000 MW.

We use petroleum products for both commuting and Electricity, so comparing us with a nation that has over 22000mw in their grid (which I must add is not even enough for Pakistan as they experience load shedding and power cuts), no just follow!!

If Peter Obi wins, he will end up like most presidents of the world, who talk big and get there and meet something else and then be forced to defend their actions in government against the words they spoke by themselves before they got there!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by copyrites: 5:39am On Jan 09, 2023
Obi is too smart and intelligent

Truly, which country on earth will spend more on subsidy than health, education, and infrastructure combined?

What manner of country is this?

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:39am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

You haven't answered anything. I didn't ask you for a debate. I asked you simple questions which you are finding difficult to answer.

How did you arrive at your definition of subsidy? How is this the meaning of subsidy...."Subsidy means that we set the price of fuel below what it costs to produce because of poor Nigerians".

How is Nigeria importing fuel because of subsidy?

How does lack of the profit you talked about cause

1.Sabotage...for more free government money

2.More and more corruption.

How do Saudi Arabia and UAE earn far more revenue than we do?

cool

Subsidy must go, little child.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:39am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

cheesy

Subsidy must go, little bird.

Good. So she'd light on the following.

How did you arrive at your definition of subsidy? How is this the meaning of subsidy...."Subsidy means that we set the price of fuel below what it costs to produce because of poor Nigerians".

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:40am On Jan 09, 2023
plaindealer:

It's more about how you process what's being said, not just the superficial and shallow rubbish with zero meaning or practicality.

Just like when he said he'll secure financing for projects because he's a trader so we should not worry about it, that was just a retarded comment, being a trader has nothing to do with governing or the ability to fund projects, project financing is part of a budgetary framework so why not just specify where the money will come from? Will it come from his trading activities or what.

That was just a dumb statement, but such rubbish gets swallowed up by poor info consumers and ignorant electorates, they don't look deeper, they don't think or ask questions, they just swallow.

Also about being stingy, he said it's not being stingy and it's more about investment and development, but if that was the case, what are the shinning examples of his investments an development in Anambra.? Nothing to show, just useless and meaningless words to fool unsuspecting low info consumers.

It's OK to be personally stingy if that's your way of life, but the rest of the country can't afford to be stingy, we work, we earn and we must spend money to keep our economy going, if we need a new pair of shoes and can afford it, by all means, buy it, it keeps the shoe seller in business, it keeps people employed.

Owambe alone is a multi-billion Naira super industry with millions of jobs from caterers to food vendors, makeup people, photographers, DJs, drink suppliers, printers, hall centers and so on so what if we all say oh, we are stingy like peter obi, what happens to this industry and our economy?

He's so stingy with the money that he parked his money in his secrete Pandora foreign account just to avoid taxes, taxes that you and I must pay to build roads, bridges, hospitals and so on, money that we need within our banking system to lend and create jobs, to circulate and virtualize our economy.

Imagine the rest of us hiding our money abroad out of our banking system like Peter Obi, what becomes of our economy? It will collapse.

The man is just too shallow and mentally backward in his thinking, his nonsense obviously sounds good to shallow people like him, but definitely dangerous for our economy.

Thank God that man won't smell Aso Rock.

Well, years of jamboreee spending has gotten us to debts, and more debts, and more loans...regardless of government

I ain't backing Obi, but we need a government that we can cause to make more money than we spend.

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:41am On Jan 09, 2023
copyrites:

Obi is too smart and intelligent

Truly, which country on earth will spend more on subsidy than health, education, and infrastructure combined?

What manner of country is this?

How is he smart and intelligent. Every presidential candidate is saying the same thing. How does he stand out from the others? If that is your definition of smart and intelligent, then all the other aspirants are smart and intelligent
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:41am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

Good. So she'd light on the following.

Subsidy must go, little bird

Subsidy must go

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:42am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

cool

Subsidy must go, little child.

The more reason why you should answer the following.

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Ofunaofu: 5:42am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

There has been subsidy

NNPC brings in fuel at N510 per liter as at November, and sells it below N150 to depot.

That's how subsidy works.

Why it is higher in some parts of the country is that some depots sell it at higher prices , and there is also no money to subsidse transport costs...particularly as diesel is not subsidised.

If there was no subsidy, by now it would be nearly N600 nationwide per liter. Makes the N350 look like chickenfeed, eh?

How did we arrived at that

NNPC tell Nigerians that they bring in the fuel at 510

How did they arrived at that

Why can't we refine the fuel here

Why is our refineries not working

Why? Why?
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:42am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

Subsidy must go, little bird

Subsidy must go

Good. So shed light on the following.

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by boldtruthalways: 5:43am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:
Rubbish. You'll do no such thing.
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

This is my personal appraisal of their performance at the townhall

Overall: 40%

Grammar: 35%

Presentation: 38%

Understanding and comprehension: 39%

Dissemination of information: 40%
Mumu.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:44am On Jan 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

How did we arrived at that

NNPC tell Nigerians that they bring in the fuel at 510

How did they arrived at that

Why can't we refine the fuel here

Why is our refineries not working

Why? Why?

Because you guys want something that costs over N250 or more to refine to be sold below N200 or less.

That prevents investment in local refining, and creates the condtions that lead to loss of revenue, sabotage of exisitng refineries, and so forth.

Either we buy fuel at the market price, or we take more loans to maintain subsidy.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:45am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

Good. So shed light on the following.

Good, so shed light on the following

1.Why do you support subsidy

2.Why do you support something that Buhari supports?

3.Why do you like free stuff.

Answer that...and maybe I will answer your questions.

If not, go and keep musing on these words...

SUBSIDY MUST GO. wink
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:47am On Jan 09, 2023
Paullo19:

Is it hard to do? If just watch the meeting.. He explained everything... All u need to do is watch ND try to understand.. He knows exactly what he's talking about. U have data just go ND watch it then listen to what he said

It's unfortunate that many of you just accept everything you hear hook, line and sinker. Obi said "But I can assure you, it will go immediately. Subsidy – I’ve said it before – is organised crime and I will not allow it to stay a day longer.”

Did subsidy make itself an organized crime? Who is making it an organized crime? Is it by removing it that it will no longer be an organized crime?
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:48am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

Because you guys want something that costs over N250 or more to refine to be sold below N200 or less.

That prevents investment in local refining, and creates the condtions that lead to loss of revenue, sabotage of exisitng refineries, and so forth.

Either we buy fuel at the market price, or we take more loans to maintain subsidy.

Can you pls define fuel subsidy for us?
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 5:49am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

Good, so shed light on the following

1.Why do you support subsidy

2.Why do you support something that Buhari supports?

3.Why do you like free stuff.

Answer that...and maybe I will answer your questions.

If not, go and keep musing on these words...

SUBSIDY MUST GO. wink

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by plaindealer: 5:49am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

Well, years of jamboreee spending has gotten us to debts, and more debts, and more loans...regardless of government

I ain't backing Obi, but we need a government that we can cause to make more money than we spend.

Obi is not a money maker, he's a money loser as a public official, the investments he made as the governor of Anambra is worth next to nothing today, he left rotten and mediocre infrastructures.

Now, we can see on the ground what the current FG did with our money, but not what the previous government did with our money.

So, you mean Obi won't spend money, he will just do what he did in Anambra, invest in an unprofitable beer business, and left Nigeria with zero infrastructure and underdeveloped? He won't pay salaries, he won't pay for government programs and services, he won't pay vendors and contractors.

The only way he makes money is to make money for himself, not for the people or the government, he's a consumer goods importing parasite, a chronic destroyer of local industries and an eliminator of jobs and even after making the money, he runs abroad to hide it in his Pandora secrete account.

An unpatriotic tax-dodging economic parasite can not be the president of Nigeria and thank God he won't.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Emola12(m): 5:55am On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira
buh I thought dey ask him the question about subsidy So what is ur own tears around ur sitting room you better no give urself high blood pressure and face ur Bulaba balablu bulubala gazatte gagraga jagabandit
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:55am On Jan 09, 2023
Why subsidy must go...words on marble

Every year, the Nigerian government runs huge budget deficits that could have been avoided if money budgeted for oil subsidies was allocated to other critical projects.

Subsidies should be used to spur investment in activities that raise the productive capacities of an economy (such as education, health, entrepreneurship, and infrastructure). They should be targeted at strategic sectors of the economy. They should not be used to finance non-durable consumption items like petrol.

Oil subsidies are inequitable, as they transfer the national wealth to those who own several cars and add little or no value to the national economy.

In lieu of subsidies, the government should invest massively in public transportation and boost the transport allowances of public-sector workers.

Removing fuel subsidies would also be good for the environment and safety on Nigerian roads. When motorists pay the full economic price for petrol, they will drive less, emit less pollution and reduce the incidence of road accidents.

There should be a clear communication to Nigerians that the removal of fuel subsidies favours the poor, and eliminates one of the several perks that the Nigerian elites undeservedly enjoy.

saruce

The cost of the fuel subsidy has continued to grow exponentially. This is partly due to the rising cost of fuel—which meant that the government had to spend even more to keep domestic prices low— and also due to Nigeria’s increasing population— which resulted in increased fuel consumption; together these pressures made the cost of the fuel subsidy unsustainable. The price of crude oil increased from 30.4 dollars per barrel in 2000 to 94.9 in 2010 over the same period Nigeria’s population increased from about 123 million to 158 million. By 2011, the fuel subsidy accounted for 30 percent of the Nigerian government’s expenditure and it was about 4 percent of GDP and 118 percent of the capital budget.

Nigeria’s fuel subsidy continues to crowd out other development spending. By comparison,, Nigeria’s total allocation for education is about $2.2 billion and it is not much higher for health care. Infant mortality in Nigeria remains unacceptably high at 90.4 per 1,000 live births. In 2004, it was estimated that only 15 percent of the country’s roads were paved. The $8 billion from the fuel subsidy could help to address some of these issues.

In addition, keeping the domestic price of oil artificially low with the fuel subsidy has discouraged additional investment in Nigeria’s oil sector. This is especially problematic given that the oil sector is the lifeblood of the Nigerian economy. Since 2000, Nigeria has issued at least 20 refinery licenses to private companies. However, not one refinery has been built because investors could not recoup their investment under the artificially low price structure.

SAUCE
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Ausval: 5:56am On Jan 09, 2023
Why do we even need to import at all

Cant it be refined locally and that's the young man has said , he will remove subsidy and invest the money in other profiteering areas of the country

So basically you wont need to import any petroleum product
ican2020:

What is subsidy?

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:56am On Jan 09, 2023
plaindealer:

Obi is not a money maker, he's a money loser as a public official, the investments he made as the governor of Anambra is worth next to nothing today, he left rotten and mediocre infrastructures.

Now, we can see on the ground what the current FG did with our money, but not what the previous government did with our money.

So, you mean Obi won't spend money, he will just do what he did in Anambra, invest in an unprofitable beer business, and left Nigeria with zero infrastructure and underdeveloped? He won't pay salaries, he won't pay for government programs and services, he won't pay vendors and contractors.

The only way he makes money is to make money for himself, not for the people or the government, he's a consumer goods importing parasite, a chronic destroyer of local industries and an eliminator of jobs and even after making the money, he runs abroad to hide it in his Pandora secrete account.

An unpatriotic tax-dodging economic parasite can not be the president of Nigeria and thank God he won't.

Either way, whoever we vote next year, we have to make more money

At least Obi, Atiku, and Tinubu agree on Subsidy removal. That's a good sign for me. Hope it is followed by other steps.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Emola12(m): 5:58am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:
Rubbish. You'll do no such thing.
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

This is my personal appraisal of their performance at the townhall

Overall: 40%

Grammar: 35%

Presentation: 38%

Understanding and comprehension: 39%

Dissemination of information: 40%
God save you say jagabandit no attend u for hear another balablu bulubala gazatte gagraga lol.......! U better repent now before you will suffer for another 8yrs just dey play with your future I pity ur generation
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 5:59am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

You are an oppressor, and you want to make Nigerians suffer more by supporting subsidy removal

Wow, I did not know I had such powers.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by CheapHomes1: 6:01am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

Wow, I did not know I had such powers.

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Emola12(m): 6:02am On Jan 09, 2023
owobokiri:

This is not a kindergarten school quize! Stop emberassing yourself, you dolt!
We are talking of core policy issues here and you're yapping about "grammar"!? What did you smoke!? Did the Chinese build their economy with English grammar Grammar Kee u dia!
you see say that one get sense Thank God say Tinubu no attend live TV channel for questions u for don hear another balablu bulubala gazatte gagraga awon oloriburuku eda

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 6:03am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

The way this lad quotes me, I have taken residence in his head...

Let me see if I can make him quote me again...wow, I never knew I had such power to make people quote me.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Burruchaga71(m): 6:06am On Jan 09, 2023
owobokiri:

This is not a kindergarten school quize! Stop emberassing yourself, you dolt!
We are talking of core policy issues here and you're yapping about "grammar"!? What did you smoke!? Did the Chinese build their economy with English grammar Grammar Kee u dia!
Hahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by seunmsg(m): 6:06am On Jan 09, 2023
Again I want to caution on this. Subsidy removal is not as easy as it appears. It has a very serious implications on the economy. Before any rush removal of subsidy, we must ensure that Dangote refinery and the PH refinery are working optimally. We must be able to produce our petroleum needs locally before removing subsidy. That’s the only way there won’t be disruption to the economy if subsidy is removed.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by anyilalaz: 6:07am On Jan 09, 2023
I doubt you watched the town hall meeting!? Or perhaps you were be clouded by parochial prejudice and bias.
After addressing the issue of removing subsidy, he talked about supporting the Dangote refinery, making sure some already completed modular refinery that starve of crude are all allowed to function, all operators of illegal refinery are made to operate legally, under the best practices...

ican2020:

What is subsidy?

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by popoolay: 6:09am On Jan 09, 2023
You cannot win. So no need to give empty promises
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 09, 2023
seunmsg:
Again I want to cushion on this. Subsidy removal is not as easy as it appears. It has a very serious implications on the economy. Before any rush removal of subsidy, we must ensure that Dangote refinery and the PH refinery are working optimally. We must be able to produce our petroleum needs locally before removing subsidy. That’s the only way there won’t be disruption to the economy if subsidy is removed.

At the end, your tinubu supports it, so that means something

Also, this argument you have made, has been made over and over again since the 1980's. And at the end , we keep on pushing forward a decision that should have been made ages ago.

We are not earning the kind of money that we can pay for subsidy anymore. And if subsidy on diesel and kerosene had not gone, we would have been spending all our earnings on subsidy by now...and using loans to finance our budget in its entierty, and paying for subsidy with some loans self.

It is time subsidy went.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Landlord Sentenced To Life Imprisonment For Defiling Two Daughters Of Tenant / Explosives Smuggled In Fuel-Tankers To Lagos - Ihejirika / PDP Kwara Governorship Flag-off- Video And Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.