Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It (18204 Views)

Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Oil Subsidy Must End, Peter Obi Declares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 7:57am On Jan 09, 2023
obynzo:

You missed the point, beforebthe subsidy will be removed they will throw the supply end of the market open you can either import or produce locally from the refineries that way competition would be encouraged and price will reduce, but this will not be done in 2023 because any president will follow Buhari's 2023 budget first while the plans for subsidy removal would be perfected.
subsidy ends in June according to 2023 budget...and I doubt if the price will reduce if the product is imported...price of fuel is above #300 naira in the countries where we import the product from...so how will the price be reduced in Nigeria?..now they are assuming dangote refinery will be working..that's good but will that refinery meet the demand of nigerians?..will you tell dangote how to sell his product?..fuel is a necessity in Nigeria not a luxury cus small scale business depend on it...we have no constant ELECTRICITY...have you ever thought of the INFLATION cost of diesel has brought over the last 12months...cost of sand,water,stone and operation cost in multinational companies has gone up cus of the high cost of Diesel...the thing is trouble is looming...my opinion is always unpopular..but one day NIGERIANS will see it...have a great day
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Fearyourcreator: 7:58am On Jan 09, 2023
Paullo19:

U just lack understanding.
What yeye understand... We go just dey buy high and still nothing will change
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 7:58am On Jan 09, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Nigerians are not really smart
and when you talk..this same Nigerians supporting the POLITICANS will be insulting you...I really pity for the youths and the future of this country intellectually
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ORIAYO70(m): 8:06am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/08/its-organised-crime-obi-vows-to-remove-subsidy/

Now you see how brainless this scammer called Obi could be, I DNT have preferred candidate yet not this Pandora Criminal...

Same Obi was saying it clear in Our TVs stations saying Subsidy is a scam, now he said he will remove it.. what a senseless person.

Go n do that in Anambra when u become Biafra President
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by soil4soil(m): 8:11am On Jan 09, 2023
People blaming Tinubu what do you have to say now that your prince charming have said the same thing.
Am waiting
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by TheAlchemist: 8:13am On Jan 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

How did we arrived at that

NNPC tell Nigerians that they bring in the fuel at 510

How did they arrived at that

Why can't we refine the fuel here

Why is our refineries not working

Why? Why?

Our refineries are not working simply because they dont want it to work... nothing beats easy money ,,, won't surprise me if they have mapped out their strategy on how sabotage Dangote Refinery.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Domainer1999: 8:20am On Jan 09, 2023
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Throwback: 8:29am On Jan 09, 2023
Racoon:
Subsidy gulps N150 billion every month.” N150 billion is still less than the N200 billion monthly transport bonus bill the regime will pay to 400 million Nigerians. In other words, Nigeria will spend more money on transport bonus to an amorphous, unidentifiable, and probably cooked-up 40 million poor Nigerians than the subsidies it says it pays on petroleum subsidies, which it says are too expensive to be sustainable. That makes absolutely no sense.

The last time the Buhari regime increased fuel prices last year, it said it had completely done away with fuel subsidies and had left the price of petrol to the vagaries of demand and supply. Now, the regime’s honchos say again that the subsidy they said they’d completely removed, for which there was no allocation in the 2021 budget, must be removed again! ....." https://gazettengr.com/farooq-kperogi-same-old-cruel-lies-to-justify-fuel-price-hike/

That is a case of penny wise, pound foolish.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by benjaminlawson(m): 8:31am On Jan 09, 2023
ucheheart:
We all know that subsidy ends with buhari, any presidential candidate that says he won't remove it, is only deceiving gullible Nigerians.

In the nutshell, if petrol is N450 a litre as at today, imagine what the cost of petrol will be from July this year. Nigerians tighten your seatbelt for the worst.
This is exactly what I am considering, instead of making sure that the fraudulent aspect of subsidy is removed and let the masses enjoy some benefit of God's given resource, they all want to add to our burden. Removing subsidy will lead yo galloping inflation, please obi think twice.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by tk4radi: 8:32am On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:
You and your fellow presidential candidates should stop all this childish talk

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

You shunned the root cause of fuel crisis and focused on chasing shadows

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira
About the monopoly thing,, you're very right.
Corruption too.

Corruption is the reason we think that Subsidy is the main problem.
He will remove Subsidy, and still we won't feel it, because he would pluck off all those leaking holes.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 09, 2023
Peter obi its on a right path
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by gasparpisciotta: 8:37am On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira

Correct.

Focus should be on ensuring our refineries work while subsidy is removed
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by benqo01(m): 8:45am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

Their take on fuel subsidy is zero just like every other presidential candidate

RE U SAYING SUBSIDY WILL BE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE? LIKE HE SAID IT IS AN ORGANIZED CRIME,DONT YOU THINK SOME PEOPLE RE BENEFITTING FROM THIS SUBSIDY STUFF.....
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Fearyourcreator: 8:51am On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
and when you talk..this same Nigerians supporting the POLITICANS will be insulting you...I really pity for the youths and the future of this country intellectually
The masses are only angry cus they are not the ones chopping the money not that they care if Nigeria is fine... The masses are as corrupt as the leaders...
Nigerias problem is both the masses and the leaders... It needed to be solved from the smallest unit
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 8:54am On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:

What is subsidy?

He said most of the fuel being imported are not used in Nigeria. This has been confirmed by the present government that the fuel being subsidized are exported from Nigeria to most of the neighboring countries.

Even if more people are allowed to import it. With the presence of subsidy, it will still end up in our neighboring countries.

Corruption is the bane of fuel scarcity and high price which is fueled by subsidy.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by lhordspy: 9:09am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:
Rubbish. You'll do no such thing.
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

This is my personal appraisal of their performance at the townhall

Overall: 40%

Grammar: 35%

Presentation: 38%

Understanding and comprehension: 39%

Dissemination of information: 40%

Ganisucks. Good morning. I don't know why you decide to be this truthful but as you can see. I have been always right about not voting Obi not because he is not competent but because of his toxic followers.

Do you see the number of insult hurled at you? Someone even called you a lollipop l!cking wh*re. Some said you are idiot, some came after your generation.

All of them oblivious of the fact you are on same side with them. This is what it feels to be on the other side. Where you guys think others dont have or not entitle to any opinion. Where insults are rained upon at any slight different opinion.

Just imagine the half dose you received today. Imagine what we have been receiving everyday, and what tinubu's generation has been going through.

I hope you will start understanding the situation now. And start seeing things differently.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by IbeOkehie: 9:18am On Jan 09, 2023
CheapHomes1:

It seems subsidy is the cause of all Nigeria's problems. How is subsidy responsible for all of the above? Can you pls explain?

Endless questioner. Forever asking. shocked
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:32am On Jan 09, 2023
adigun4mee:
Fuel go reach 750/lt.Make I Dey plan to japa
We had a chance to remove it when our exchange rate and inflation level was still bearable and we missed it. Professors and acclaimed academicians from all walks of life came out to protest against it. There and then I concluded that our education is a huge sham! Even I, an undergraduate of engineering then could see petrol subsidy was a serious cancer to our economy.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by djseanjohn77: 9:32am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/08/its-organised-crime-obi-vows-to-remove-subsidy/

This man is so dumb, does he know that Pakistan has 75.38% of its population with access to electricity as opposed to Nigeria which has about 55% and half of this figure barely has the light? This means that more than half of Nigerians consume more petrol than Pakistan. So, Nigeria and Pakistan in the same context should not exist. Then we also understand that the present government have established that half of this subsidized fuel is being smuggled to other African countries, and part of the reason is that we have porous and open borders across our boundaries - to mount formidable security across these borders, especially in the North, will take decades of planning. A lame man understands this fact. It is not about repeating the same rhetoric, sadly, his plans for the funds will still be stolen by government agencies saddled with the responsibility of disbursing the funds. Nigeria is so corrupt that a newborn child if given an office, will steal through the help of his parent. It is endemic, and the constitution protects them, unless you steal small. The biggest thieves are in Govt parastatals/ agencies/ etcs
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by stev120(m): 9:36am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:
Rubbish. You'll do no such thing.
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

This is my personal appraisal of their performance at the townhall

Overall: 40%

Grammar: 35%

Presentation: 38%

Understanding and comprehension: 39%

Dissemination of information: 40%

Hello, can I see Tinubu score and if you have Atiku's own please drop.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Starzo: 9:42am On Jan 09, 2023
ucheheart:
We all know that subsidy ends with buhari, any presidential candidate that says he won't remove it, is only deceiving gullible Nigerians.

In the nutshell, if petrol is N450 a litre as at today, imagine what the cost of petrol will be from July this year. Nigerians tighten your seatbelt for the worst.
Where you take dey buy fuel 450?...na 350 be highest I know o
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by IbeOkehie: 9:43am On Jan 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

How did we arrived at that

NNPC tell Nigerians that they bring in the fuel at 510

The world market price of petrol for any given day can be found here

https://www.investing.com/commodities/gasoline-rbob

That's all there is to it. That's the price at which NNPC can buy it anywhere in the world.

Right now, at this moment, the price of a gallon of petrol is $2.30.

4 litres = 1 gallon, so one litter price ~ $0.60

Convert to naira using CBN rate to get ~ 275.

Convert to naira using free market rate ~ 460.

So the price of fuel in Nigeria without fuel subsidy should be above ₦275.

The price without forex subsidy should be ₦460.

There's no mystery to this. The info is freely available. Anyone can call the sales office of any refinery in North America, Asia or Europe and this is the price that will be quoted.

This is the price at which Dangote must also sell or his refinery will shut down. The only way he can sell for less is if the government pays him a subsidy. Are Nigerians ready for the Nigerian government to pay Dangote ₦2 trillion per year to supply fuel for Nigerians?

If Nigerians want their country to prosper, then all subsidies must go. Aside health and elementary education, government should get out of the market. Allow Nigerians to produce, buy and sell whatever they want to or from any country or any person at their freely chosen price.

Yes Nigerians will suffer but that is how other people suffered to make their countries better. Everything isn't about today, think about 20 years from now.

It's OK too if Nigerians don't want to suffer, it's very understandable.

Just know the choices available are set and the consequences unavoidable in the long term...which is where we are right now.

Thanks.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Wickedfact: 9:43am On Jan 09, 2023
obynzo:

I know you will come here and talk rubbish as usual

Nyamiri don drop quote.
Inferiority complex don kill this fool
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 09, 2023
Wickedfact:

Nyamiri don drop quote.
Inferiority complex don kill this fool

When you know you are a compound fool. No pun intended
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Starzo: 9:47am On Jan 09, 2023
If nigeria removes subsidy, countries like cameroon,Niger,Benin,Ghana etc should be ready o, those ones go by fuel for 2k+

Na our smuggled subsidized petrol make fuel price dey low for those countries

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Wickedfact: 9:51am On Jan 09, 2023
obynzo:

When you know you are a compound fool. No pun intended

You must mistake me for your father.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 09, 2023
Wickedfact:

You must mistake me for your father.

Oga you are a Compound fool worse than a dingbat.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Wickedfact: 9:54am On Jan 09, 2023
obynzo:

Oga you are a Compound fool worse than a dingbat.

That is your mother's profile.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 09, 2023
Wickedfact:

That is your mother's profile.

My mother is late. And you have just succeeded in inviting curses on your life.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by IbeOkehie: 10:02am On Jan 09, 2023
Starzo:
If nigeria removes subsidy, countries like cameroon,Niger,Benin,Ghana etc should be ready o, those ones go by fuel for 2k+

Na our smuggled subsidized petrol make fuel price dey low for those countries

No, they will buy at the same price as everywhere else unless their government is somehow putting an extra tax on the fuel.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Wickedfact: 10:04am On Jan 09, 2023
obynzo:

My mother is late. And you have just succeeded in inviting curses on your life.

I guess that explains your stupidity and lack of parental upbringing. I now see where your mannerlessness comes from. You didn't get proper home training.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 09, 2023
Build a working refinery first, dont just remove subsidy because you want votes from the north.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

PDP Kwara Governorship Flag-off- Video And Photos / Lagos East Bye-Election: Tokunbo Abiru Set To Resign / Mahama And Jonathan Meet In Abuja (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.