Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It (18201 Views)

Tinubu: I Will Remove Fuel Subsidy, Your Protests Won’t Stop Me / Peter Obi: We Will Remove Import & FOREX Restrictions / Oil Subsidy Must End, Peter Obi Declares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 09, 2023
Domainer1999:

Bro, I fear the economic impact this removal of subsidy will have on the poor, not many will survive it.
Hence I'm looking for support in my business to prepare myself before I got caught unawares?
I'd be glad if you can support me.
Thanks.

Oga, subsidy must go.

Or your business moneu will be used to help settle debts at imf and Beijing
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by tonididdy(m): 10:14am On Jan 09, 2023
Me will not see a spade and call it a shovel.

The OBI I listened to sounded just like any other Nigerian politician.
At a point I thought he was even less than average. He didn’t give satisfactory answers to questions.
He took a cheap way out .
I expected more from the man trending all over Nigeria

It is this juncture I have come to a conclusion that Nigerians should be prepared for a heartbreak from this man. He maybe willing to work, he may have a plan but I doubt if they will allow him work.
He doesn’t seem prepared to me unless he’s talking less so as to not dole his tactics and formulae to opposition.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by tonididdy(m): 10:16am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

Oga, subsidy must go.

Or your business moneu will be used to help settle debts at imf and Beijing

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rman: 10:21am On Jan 09, 2023
IbeOkehie:

The world market price of petrol for any given day can be found here

https://www.investing.com/commodities/gasoline-rbob

That's all there is to it. That's the price at which NNPC can buy it anywhere in the world.

Right now, at this moment, the price of a gallon of petrol is $2.30.

4 litres = 1 gallon, so one litter price ~ $0.60

Convert to naira using CBN rate to get ~ 275.

Convert to naira using free market rate ~ 460.

So the price of fuel in Nigeria without fuel subsidy should be above ₦275.

The price without forex subsidy should be ₦460.

There's no mystery to this. The info is freely available. Anyone can call the sales office of any refinery in North America, Asia or Europe and this is the price that will be quoted.

This is the price at which Dangote must also sell or his refinery will shut down. The only way he can sell for less is if the government pays him a subsidy. Are Nigerians ready for the Nigerian government to pay Dangote ₦2 trillion per year to supply fuel for Nigerians?

If Nigerians want their country to prosper, then all subsidies must go. Aside health and elementary education, government should get out of the market. Allow Nigerians to produce, buy and sell whatever they want to or from any country or any person at their freely chosen price.

Yes Nigerians will suffer but that is how other people suffered to make their countries better. Everything isn't about today, think about 20 years from now.

It's OK too if Nigerians don't want to suffer, it's very understandable.

Just know the choices available are set and unavoidable.

Thanks.

God bless you!

Facts backed up with verifiable evidence.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 09, 2023
Wickedfact:

I guess that explains your stupidity and lack of parental upbringing. I now see where your mannerlessness comes from. You didn't get proper home training.

You are real fool, and your case is pathetic my mother died last year and she gave birth to successful children. You are frustrated and sad that is why you are cursing people's parents. Oga go and work and stop being an online urchin.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ada9ja(f): 10:36am On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:
You and your fellow presidential candidates should stop all this childish talk

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

You shunned the root cause of fuel crisis and focused on chasing shadows

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira

U re right

Read his manifesto, he consider such
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by habsydiamond(m): 10:39am On Jan 09, 2023
Kobonaire234:

On the other hand, we keep subsidy....the cost keeps on rising...the deficit keeps on rising....and then we take more loans to cover our asses.

Either we pay market price of petrol at the pump....or we pay it at IMF HQ, and China People's bank HQ. You want us to take more loans.

Subsidy must go. PO, Atiku, Tinubu, even some of the minor candidates don say am.
no one is saying subsidy must not go.. what am saying is the government must increase the salaries of worker so that they can meet up with whatever that comes out of the subsidy removal
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by habsydiamond(m): 10:41am On Jan 09, 2023
obynzo:

Eastern region used coal and Agriculture and they were the fastest growing region than the west in the late 50s till 67.
I won't argue.. all I need know is if the government remove subsidy without planning it will backfire on the masses

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Sleekfingers: 11:01am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:

https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/08/its-organised-crime-obi-vows-to-remove-subsidy/

That will be good. Make una remove subsidy.........I know Peter obi or Tinubu will do it . But Atiku can never remove subsidy, ..

But Nigerians should be ready to buy a litre of PMS for 500 naira and above......from my findings Nigeria fuel is the cheapest in Africa.......
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 11:09am On Jan 09, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

The masses are only angry cus they are not the ones chopping the money not that they care if Nigeria is fine... The masses are as corrupt as the leaders...
Nigerias problem is both the masses and the leaders... It needed to be solved from the smallest unit
that's just it
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by IbeOkehie: 11:21am On Jan 09, 2023
habsydiamond:
no one is saying subsidy must not go.. what am saying is the government must increase the salaries of worker so that they can meet up with whatever that comes out of the subsidy removal

Increasing the salaries of workers should not be a government function. As I wrote before, Nigeria will NEVER attain a stable prosperity until government stops setting prices among other anti-market practices. That includes the price of labor.

The countries with highest living standards have no legal national minimum wage. Hong Kong, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway. Even if Nigeria MUST have a minimum wage, it should be a State by State mandate.

Nigerians should PLEASE study their history. In this case the Udoji Salary Awards under President Gowon is relevant. Salary inflation is usually the cause of the worst kinds of inflation. Inflation is already a problem now, let's not make it worse.

A better solution is to apply free market principles.

I understand that local rice is now more expensive than imported rice. Why? Because the government banned rice importation, which allows local producers to raise prices.

Nigerian cement is the most expensive in the world because government has banned cement importation.

Free the markets and prices will likely come down. That includes petrol and other fuels and also forex, which is the real killer. Government economic controls NEVER helps anyone.

NEVER.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by edungene7: 11:27am On Jan 09, 2023
ganisucks:
Rubbish. You'll do no such thing.
I watched the townhall today, and I must say, it was a poor display of two men who are as alien to each other like North Korea is indifferent to Switzerland. The President and his vice are complete cross opposites of each other. And they made it blazingly clear that they are in disagreement over some hidden issue unbeknownst to the public.

This is my personal appraisal of their performance at the townhall

Overall: 40%

Grammar: 35%

Presentation: 38%

Understanding and comprehension: 39%

Dissemination of information: 40%
40 % is a pass mark anywhere in the world how do we score yr candidate Baba bulaba and is boko commander when they are both running away from this interviews Itz an automatic 0%
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by IbeOkehie: 11:32am On Jan 09, 2023
habsydiamond:
I won't argue.. all I need know is if the government remove subsidy without planning it will backfire on the masses

Nigeria has had the fuel subsidy since 1973, how has it made things better.

In 2012 the government tried to remove subsidy and the Nigerian people refused. How that one don work out for them?

Fuel subsidy and price controls is a method of government corruption just like CBN price for forex and low price at federal university. You only THINK you're getting a low price, while the reality is ALWAYS scarcity.

Scarcity of university education, scarcity of forex, scarcity of fuel. Scarcity is a miracle of government control. Na truth be dat oh, make una learn abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Fearyourcreator: 11:35am On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
that's just it
If I come here I only come to see how adults keep decieving themselves...

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by IbeOkehie: 11:47am On Jan 09, 2023
quentin06:
Build a working refinery first, dont just remove subsidy because you want votes from the north.

No refinery will be sustainable in Nigeria as long as fuel subsidy exists and no real business man will build one before subsidy is removed.

Dangote only took the risk because he has political connections AND he was given subsidized forex to pay his costs. That is publicly available info.

Even with that, if Dangote starts producing and government is still controlling prices, he will eventually have to shut down.

Dangote will ONLY sell to Nigerians at world price. If Nigerians can't or won't pay, he will EXPORT his fuel to the world market.

These are simple realities. So whether the fuel is produced locally or imported, there's only ONE price for fuel in the world. Those who try and avoid that price end up with big problems.

Go check out what happened in Venezuela, the country with the world's biggest crude oil reserves...yes, it's NOT Saudi Arabia. Venezuela has the most crude oil and yet they IMPORT all their fuel and also have fuel scarcity. I challenge anyone to check.

The price is the price. Pay or face the PAIN.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 11:54am On Jan 09, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

If I come here I only come to see how adults keep decieving themselves...
hahahaha...I think I will just adopt your style..no mind saying anything... Nigerians are so selfish and unpatriotic.. tribalism and religion has finish this nation

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Fearyourcreator: 12:02pm On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
hahahaha...I think I will just adopt your style..no mind saying anything... Nigerians are so selfish and unpatriotic.. tribalism and religion has finish this nation
I go to the ministry well... If you see jazz blackmail a lot going on there.... The last is most there are very lazy... Very very lazy... They don't want to do anything than to collect bribe... And anyone hardworking among dem ... They hate no be small... These people their Pikin dey NL abusing politicians... Person wey be say na bribe them dey chop for house... Their uncles anuties brothers sisters fathers mothers sons daughter ... But you will see them abuse government ...
Sometimes some people here will make you talk but dont be over dragged ooo...

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Enumerator(m): 12:27pm On Jan 09, 2023
cheesy
copyrites:

We definitely did not watch the same program. Perhaps, you were busy mesmerizing that Microphone lollipop licker

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Starzo: 1:03pm On Jan 09, 2023
IbeOkehie:

No, they will buy at the same price as everywhere else unless their government is somehow putting an extra tax on the fuel.
Where will they get it cheaper than nigeria? Road side fuel which is far cheaper than the one in filling stations that are sold in countries like cameroon, Niger are all smuggled from Nigeria. If nigeria removes subsidy and fuel price goes up in Nigeria, those smuggling the petrol will aslo increase the price. The only option they have is to buy from filling stations which will be far costlier than waht they're getting it for now
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Mamaafrik1(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
inflation will hit Nigerians harder once fuel prices go up..removing subsidy when you are not sure of getting the products internally,still depending on importation..na look I just dey look,e be like na juju this POLITICANS dey use,cus i don't understand how Nigerians buy all the nonsense these POLITICANS spill on daily basis

oga,tell us how you will tackle INFLATION..Nigerians ain't asking the right questions...our POLITICANS are too free and not tasked appropriately
if you remove free cash that you give the rich in the name of subsidy and use it to fuel education, rail,seaports ,petrochemical infrastructures and power,will more industries that produces goods and and services not grow?
What happened to India and isreal GNP when they encouraged Technical education and Chinese GDP when Mao came with industrialisation agenda
Now do you still want to reask same question on how he will reduce inflation.

He is the best of the three strongmen
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by HoneySwag(f): 1:09pm On Jan 09, 2023
Removing fuel subsidy is not an issue, but you can't remove subsidy and expect Nigerians to buy fuel at an exorbitant rate. It's either you get the refinery ready or you remove the monopolization of NNPC over the oil sector, so other companies can take part in the supply of fuel.

Every candidate is planning on removing fuel subsidy, but what's the way forward? Get the refineries ready before doing so or remove monopoly from NNPC. I don't want to buy a litre of fuel for 1500 or pay so much money for goods, transport, etc because ones fuel subsidy is completely removed, the price of fuel skyrockets which automatically affects every sector in the country.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 1:15pm On Jan 09, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

I go to the ministry well... If you see jazz blackmail a lot going on there.... The last is most there are very lazy... Very very lazy... They don't want to do anything than to collect bribe... And anyone hardworking among dem ... They hate no be small... These people their Pikin dey NL abusing politicians... Person wey be say na bribe them dey chop for house... Their uncles anuties brothers sisters fathers mothers sons daughter ... But you will see them abuse government ...
Sometimes some people here will make you talk but dont be over dragged ooo...
I tell you...it's crazy
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Mamaafrik1(m): 1:29pm On Jan 09, 2023
HoneySwag:
Removing fuel subsidy is not an issue, but you can't remove subsidy and expect Nigerians to buy fuel at an exorbitant rate. It's either you get the refinery ready or you remove the monopolization of NNPC over the oil sector, so other companies can take part in the supply of fuel.

Every candidate is planning of removing fuel subsidy, but what's the way forward? Get the refineries ready before doing so or remove monopoly from NNPC. I don't want to buy a litre of fuel for 1500 or pay so much money for goods, transport, etc because ones fuel subsidy is completely removed, the price of fuel skyrockets which automatically affects every sector in the country.
Do you know that Nigeria produces more rice now because funds were released and borders were closed??
Who do you think is going to be more efficient between a C.B.N marketing officer and a GTB bank officer and the same marketer of G.T.B paid with commission?
One is dormant,second is better efficient but 3rd is most efficient.
First is NNPC staff who get more pays for not going to work and selling no fuel,second is the present petroleum marketer who get paid but because there is subsidy, they can just cook up a figure and get government subsidy even when they don't sell fuel,the one on commission will run shift and work day and night to provide service and the minimal price thereby beating competition.

These are what he will do to encourage production, give sincere licences to companies showing petrochemical interest, remove fuel subsidy, sell NNPc off or keep it shareon nothing more the 20_30% government owned.
Run gas and liquid pipes across all our territorial waters and hinterlands.
Implement all the PIB bills.
He knows what he is doing and a typical corrupt Nigeria will do all it takes for him not to get to asorock.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by occfx: 1:36pm On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
inflation will hit Nigerians harder once fuel prices go up..removing subsidy when you are not sure of getting the products internally,still depending on importation..na look I just dey look,e be like na juju this POLITICANS dey use,cus i don't understand how Nigerians buy all the nonsense these POLITICANS spill on daily basis

oga,tell us how you will tackle INFLATION..Nigerians ain't asking the right questions...our POLITICANS are too free and not tasked appropriately

You are not a business man, you cannot sustain economy artificially for long. The real price of fuel is 500+,... Yes it will cause inflation but we will be working with reality. Minimum wage and salaries will be reviewed accordingly and everyone will stabilize. If we face our real economy, minimum wage should be 200k. If we explore further in production, the economy will balance and everyone will be happy. We just have to produce food in abundance and Nigeria will be great.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by ucheheart(m): 1:38pm On Jan 09, 2023
Starzo:

Where you take dey buy fuel 450?...na 350 be highest I know o

come aba come confirm, it is fluctuating btw 400 and 450 in aba.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by rickpat(m): 2:29pm On Jan 09, 2023
occfx:

You are not a business man, you cannot sustain economy artificially for long. The real price of fuel is 500+,... Yes it will cause inflation but we will be working with reality. Minimum wage and salaries will be reviewed accordingly and everyone will stabilize. If we face our real economy, minimum wage should be 200k. If we explore further in production, the economy will balance and everyone will be happy. We just have to produce food in abundance and Nigeria will be great.
minimum wage that the government only implements for government workers only...only few private sector pay 30k...do you know most people earn below 30k in this country?...the true definition of minimum wage is not practiced in Nigeria...abeg keep minimum wage matter out of this gist abeg
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 09, 2023
IbeOkehie:

No refinery will be sustainable in Nigeria as long as fuel subsidy exists and no real business man will build one before subsidy is removed.

Dangote only took the risk because he has political connections AND he was given subsidized forex to pay his costs. That is publicly available info.

Even with that, if Dangote starts producing and government is still controlling prices, he will eventually have to shut down.

Dangote will ONLY sell to Nigerians at world price. If Nigerians can't or won't pay, he will EXPORT his fuel to the world market.

These are simple realities. So whether the fuel is produced locally or imported, there's only ONE price for fuel in the world. Those who try and avoid that price end up with big problems.

Go check out what happened in Venezuela, the country with the world's biggest crude oil reserves...yes, it's NOT Saudi Arabia. Venezuela has the most crude oil and yet they IMPORT all their fuel and also have fuel scarcity. I challenge anyone to check.

The price is the price. Pay or face the PAIN.

Ever heard of the word economic sabotage? Its obvious that some powers dont want these countries to refine their fuel.

Its basic economics, you have the raw materials in your back yard, it doesnt make sense to ship the items to another country thousands of miles away to refine and buy at exorbitant rates, Nigeria btw was refining its petrol until 2014. All they needed to do was to build more refineries , stop the stealing of crude (which is another economic sabotage too).

Subsidy removal with the continual importation of petrol will only worsen the economic situation of the country ,

Dont tell me the exorbitant rates people are paying for fuel globally is correct.

Ghana is the second largest producer of cocoa, why is she still exporting raw cocoa after many decades? Why is US the largest producer of chocolates even though the raw material they use comes from Ghana, Cote d Ivore and Ecuador?

You think given the right investments Ghana cant produce chocolates? I think its a systemic sabotage of the economies of these countries, pay raw materials for cheap and charge exorbitantly for the finish products.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by occfx: 3:08pm On Jan 09, 2023
rickpat:
minimum wage that the government only implements for government workers only...only few private sector pay 30k...do you know most people earn below 30k in this country?...the true definition of minimum wage is not practiced in Nigeria...abeg keep minimum wage matter out of this gist abeg

Remember we are assuming a sensible government will be in charge. Raise minimum wage, create more jobs through agriculture and production, 30k private workers will move to government employees and private business will eventually raise there standards or join government production. The aim is to be productive as a country and be able to afford anything be it in Nigeria or abroad.
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by AutoConsult: 3:13pm On Jan 09, 2023
I will I will I will. Mr do all alone
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by Stevedison(m): 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2023
ican2020:
You and your fellow presidential candidates should stop all this childish talk

Tinubu of APC said the same thing and some people where praising him just as people we rush to praise you

What is subsidy?

You shunned the root cause of fuel crisis and focused on chasing shadows

Is there any major top 10 oil producing country in the world that is importing refined fuel for their local consumption, the answer is no

So, why are we importing refined fuel instead of refining it locally and exporting both crude and refined fuel to other countries

If any of you must remove subsidy, you must first remove the monopoly in refine fuel importation

Nigerians and business owners who are interested in importing fuel must be allowed to do as long as they can import products that meets minimum standard and also have the facility to store them before distribution

Take the case of GSM handsets, when it was first introduced, ordinary Nokia touch light cost over 40k but when many Nigerians dived into the importation of handsets, prices of phone crashes

Same thing will happen to fuel if government will for once consider Nigerians plight, remove the monopoly of NNPC, allow more players to import fuel into the market, price will fall below 100 naira

You have wisdom and you are truthful
Re: Peter Obi: Subsidy Must Go, I Will Remove It by HeroicMeastro: 4:50pm On Jan 09, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

MASSOB Declares June 8 Sit-at-home, Demands Rev. King’s Release / We Won’t Declare Assets Publicly, Say Ministers-designate / Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere Released By DSS After A Month In Detention. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.