Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture (42218 Views)

"All Eyes On The Judiciary" Billboard Erected In Abuja - Photos / Can Someone Explain Why Kaduna Nzeogwu Is Igbo But His Village Is Not Igboland? / Biography Of Kaduna Nzeogwu By Olusegun Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by codemaniacs: 12:18pm On Jan 16, 2023
Idiko1:

Ojukwu warned Gowon on the consequences of the usurpation of position of C-in-C of Nigeria when his superiors were still in uniform. At least, you were wrong on Akenzua.

I'm not wrong on Akenzua...

Ojukwu was powerless and couldn't warn anybody.. Ojukwu only tried to do another coup that ended up been a civil war..
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by YeeboMuslim: 12:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
franchasng:
The only mistake those first coupists did was sparing Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, they ought to have eliminated him like they did to then horrible leaders like Ahmadu Bello, Akintola.

Tafawa Belewa was a good man that was misled by two Muslim Jihadists Ahmadu Bello and Akintola leading to their ostracizing and jailing Christian leader Awolowo which made the young Southern Military guys led by Igbo soldiers to strike.

The same Muslim Jihadist agenda that Ahmadu Bello and Akintola were pushing for that made these guys to fight back is what Buhari and his Fulani brothers are still pursuing today, killing Northern Christians in the name of cattle herding.

Thank God the ignorant Middle Belt Christians they used against Biafrans in the 1960s are gradually waking up and realizing who their real enemies are.
Osu..these events happened less than 60 years ago for God sake
Why are you revising history nah.

So Samuel Ladoke Akintola , a proper Christian was a Jihadist grin cheesy
By the way, Azikwe with his Fulani masters jailed Awolowo .
The unbridled greed of your ancestors led us here
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by YeeboMuslim: 12:21pm On Jan 16, 2023
AbdulMagaji:

First of all it wasn't an Igbo coup as there were more Yorubas actively involved in it.

Did you ever asked why a traditional ruler was the first target in that coup?

That is to prove to you that the problem in Nigeria at time had it's starting point from his palace
See this osu coward.
They never take responsibility for anything grin grin
It was termed an Ibo coup for a reason. Go figure!
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Bantu10: 12:23pm On Jan 16, 2023
Emekaonline:

That is why many people are bitter in Anambra seeing the person that killed their breadwinners and umped then in Akwuzu river is campaining to be president aside sending many to their graves for allowing the Doctors to go on strike for more than one year

sensible people knows the man whom the comment talked about.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by wirinet(m): 12:24pm On Jan 16, 2023
Fejoku:

Do you know the people present at that meeting? All the military administrators(governors) of the four regions were present at that meeting. You can't change history.

The Military Governors were appointees of the Head of State. How can they be given the authority to negotiate the sovereignty of Nigeria. The sovereignty of Nigeria should belong to its people and not a few select appointees of a Military head of state.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by YeeboMuslim: 12:28pm On Jan 16, 2023
AbdulMagaji:

I guess you are a kid!

But let's face the TRUTH

Look I was born and breed in Kaduna.
All my life, I have never seen an igboman trespassing on any tribe.

Igbo businessmen are 80% responsible for the development of almost all Nigerian states including Lagos (100%)

Stop the hate and always go for the Truth
Osu
Be proud of your savage tribe grin cheesy
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by bhella10: 12:29pm On Jan 16, 2023
175:

That's the only response to my comment you can think of. . . because the truth inside my comment just choke you grin grin . . . .oruehhh
Try not to drown in your tears processing that
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 12:33pm On Jan 16, 2023
codemaniacs:

you and I have argued this thousands of times.. It was ironsi that made it that the regions no longer controlled their resources and their revenue which means the regions became subservient to the FG.

It was Ironsi that abolished regionalism and not Gowon... Gowon only maintained what Ironsi had already done.

2 out of the 4 regions had Yoruba and Igbo as the majority and that would have been a problem for minorities in the south..

so Akenzua would have been very happy that states were created.

How could Ironsi have abolished the 4 Regions Nigeris had if the 4 Regions were still existing the day Ironsi was killed? Did Ironsi come back from the dead to abolish the Regions?

Ironsi never tampered with resource control, not even for one day. All 4 Regions controlled their resources throughout the 6 months Ironsi was in charge

It was Gowon that came after Ironsi and used Decree 14 to abolish the 4 Regions we had, and created 12 new states to replace them

Gowon immediately followed this up with Decree 15 where he abolished resource control and placed it in the hands of the federal government

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by 9gerian: 12:33pm On Jan 16, 2023
Here we go again…

AbdulMagaji:

I guess you are a kid!

But let's face the TRUTH

Look I was born and breed in Kaduna.
All my life, I have never seen an igboman trespassing on any tribe.

Igbo businessmen are 80% responsible for the development of almost all Nigerian states including Lagos (100%)

Stop the hate and always go for the Truth
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by omoadeleye(m): 12:34pm On Jan 16, 2023
Thanksful:

One person can't start a coup. I don't know what is in your skull. Coup nah child's play?

You are so fucking dumb and retard at same time. You should see "one particular people" but, your stvpidity and fcclishness won't stop shaming you every where.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by 9gerian: 12:34pm On Jan 16, 2023
Google decree 34 of 1966.

You are welcome!

gidgiddy:

How could Ironsi have abolished the 4 Regions Nigeris had if the 4 Regions were still existing the day Ironsi was killed? Did Ironsi come back from the dead to abolish the Regions?

Ironsi never tampered with resource control, not even for one day. All 4 Regions controlled their resources throughout the 6 months Ironsi was in charge

It was Gowon that came after Ironsi and used Decree 14 to abolish the 4 Regions we had, and created 12 new states to replace them

Gowon immediately followed this up with Decree 15 where he abolished resource control and placed it in the hands of the federal government
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 12:38pm On Jan 16, 2023
9gerian:
Google decree 34 of 1966.

You are welcome!

I have read Decree 34 many times and no where does it abolish the 4 Regions we had, nor does it remove resource control

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by codemaniacs: 12:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:

As I said to you the other time....

read your fellow igbo supremacist comment below accepting Ironsi's culpability .

I will continue using this quote because its very rare for an Igbo person to accept criticism and that he/she is wrong ...

CSTRR:

It was ironsi with his unitary policy that ensured that the economic disparity between the North and the South that promoted southern superiority was dissipated on the altar of one unitary country.

And once the economic advantage moved from regions to federal control, it created an equilibrium that empowered the populous north.

It was an Igbo man that ironically created Northern dominance by mistake.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by ursullalinda(f): 12:45pm On Jan 16, 2023
Bantu10:

Same thing true lagosians feel seeing the man who killed Funsho Williams going about campaigning to be president

Hahaha....you're a clown
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 16, 2023
Idiko1:

It is safe to call you a glorified fool. I have learnt from my grandfather the person who tend to espouse certain vice seemed to be the operator. I can bet my last cent you are fatherless. By the way, you lacked human intellect.
I am fatherless but you called out my father in your shameless rant
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Maazieze(m): 12:47pm On Jan 16, 2023
Curious345:
Quite important to note that ,uptil today , Igbos in Delta State claim they're not Igbo ..

Isn't that funny?

Same way ikwerre claim they're not Igbo

They are igbo, even if a small number deny it, nigeria will always remind them they are igbo. E.g asaba massacre
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Maazieze(m): 12:50pm On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:

His coup is not what started the war, his coup happened 18 months before the war started

What caused the war was Gowon's refusal to honour the Aburi agreement he signed

I have to disagree with you their, the war was a direct result of the fractures fermented during the first and second coup
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by christistruth01: 12:50pm On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:

That is a lie

General Ironsi completely took away the autonomy of the Regions with Decree 34 of 1966

Before then the Western Region had its own busy UK embassy on great portland Street in London which had been established by Awolowo and which had to be closed down immediately after Ironsi's Decree 34 and the building was later taken over by the Federal Govt

https://guardian.ng/opinion/history-and-the-future-of-decree-34-of-1966

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by 9gerian: 1:10pm On Jan 16, 2023
These should help.

https://guardian.ng/opinion/history-and-the-future-of-decree-34-of-1966/

gidgiddy:

I have read Decree 34 many times and no where does it abolish the 4 Regions we had, nor does it remove resource control

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 1:20pm On Jan 16, 2023
9gerian:
These should help.

https://guardian.ng/opinion/history-and-the-future-of-decree-34-of-1966/

Rather than going by what guardian is saying, which could the view of a journalist, google Gowon Decree 14 and Decree 15

Decree 14 abolished all 4 Regions and created 12 new states. Decree removed resource control

Decree 14 can be found in the thread below

https://www.nairaland.com/5690269/how-gowon-introduced-unitary-rule

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by gidgiddy: 1:23pm On Jan 16, 2023
christistruth01:

That is a lie

General Ironsi completely took away the autonomy of the Regions with Decree 34 of 1966

Before then the Western Region had its own busy UK embassy on great portland Street in London which had been established by Awolowo and which had to be closed down immediately after Ironsi's Decree 34 and the building was later taken over by the Federal Govt

https://guardian.ng/opinion/history-and-the-future-of-decree-34-of-1966

Read decree 14 below and find out how Gowon abolished the 4 Regions we had and created 12 states

https://www.nairaland.com/5690269/how-gowon-introduced-unitary-rule

Google Gowons Decree 14 and find out how Gowon removed resource control

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by ifeco4(m): 1:47pm On Jan 16, 2023
[quote author=OkutaNla post=120076356]

Yes, a revolution that culminated in the mass slaughter of millions of Igbos in a needless war.

Akuko. Why do you Igbos love self-deceit for goodness sake If Nzeogwu coup had not happened, there would have been no counter coup which was in response to the Nzeogwu coup and targeted majorly at Igbo officers, Aguiyi Ironsi, and Igbo civilians all across Nigeria by officers of Northern extraction. Only a disingenuous person would say what you just said coz it's obvious to the blind that the counter coup was the major precursor to the Civil war due to its macabre slaughter of Igbos in Northern Nigeria as a direct reprisal against the sectional killing of Northern leaders by Nzeogwu and his boys. There would've been nothing like Aburi accord without those preceding events. Endeavor to tell yourself the truth once in a while.[/quote

U said Igbo coup?
Since when did Delta stopped been a Niger Delta state?

And lets assume its an Igbo coup according to Ur narrative, what offend did the Igbo civilian committed for them to be massacred all over the north?
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by sircatherine45(m): 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2023
Curious345:
Quite important to note that ,uptil today , Igbos in Delta State claim they're not Igbo ..

Isn't that funny?

Same way ikwerre claim they're not Igbo

Anybody who says that Okpanam people ain't Igbo's deserved to be stoned to death.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by sircatherine45(m): 2:30pm On Jan 16, 2023
Kewtt:

That town should be razed to ashes. It truncated the Nigeria of our dreams. The statue makes everyone there an accomplice. An evidence of why we must not vote anything from that region ever

Try anything stupid in my town, and I'll hunt you to death. This is not a threat.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by sircatherine45(m): 2:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
AkpaMgbor:

Simple question. Provide proof of any sort that the Nzeogwu lived under the roof of Ahmadu bello. Is that too hard to do in this Internet age?

Oga ignore that liar.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Idiko1: 2:45pm On Jan 16, 2023
codemaniacs:

I'm not wrong on Akenzua...

Ojukwu was powerless and couldn't warn anybody.. Ojukwu only tried to do another coup that ended up been a civil war..

Ojukwu was not powerless hence July 29, 1966, coup was not successful. Gowon could not even venture out of Lagos to visit Benin City. If not for betrayal artists and backstabbers such as your forbearers, southern Nigeria would have been semi-paradise. The fools such as Ejoor, Adebayo and entire Yoruba and silly minorities from the southern Nigeria joined forces with Jihadists from northern region of Nigeria. I remembered deluded Akenzua attached to the ass of Gowon hoping Gowon will elevate a third-class permanent secretary to position of a minister. Akenzua supported Action Group when certain figures such as Osagie, Osadebe, Utomi, Ekwuasi and Okotie-Eboh fought for the creation of Midwestern region. The legacy of today's Nigeria is the blueprint of Gowon and the goons supported him period.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 2:47pm On Jan 16, 2023
Kewtt:

That town should be razed to ashes. It truncated the Nigeria of our dreams. The statue makes everyone there an accomplice. An evidence of why we must not vote anything from that region ever
sorry to disappoint you,but there is no Nigerian dream.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 16, 2023
Goodlady:

Don't misquote me sir, I m not a Tinubu supporter.
But I know the history you are twisting.
Firstly, if not for national reconciliation, Nzeogwu shouldn't be celebrated. In fact, he should v been killed ingloriously before he orchestrated his death in the Biafra war.
2ndly, Ladoke Akintola that he killed was a respected citizen. The Igbos had grouses with the northerners prior to the Biafran war. It's wasn't Yorubas that were killing Igbos in the north. So why the transfer of aggression on Yoruba leaders at that time? They wanted Balewa and Ahmadu Bello. The officers that killed Akintola could v shot him in the leg or arm if he was too stubborn for them.
3rdly, he said they were cleaning the govt and spared Nnamdi Azikiwe. That's padipadi arrangement of brothers from same tribe. He was freed by Aguiyi Ironsi, that's a traitor move and at the end, he joined forces with Biafra. The whole activities later led to an avoidable war that eventually made the Igbos pay bitterly for.
I m not here to justify that Igbos deserve whatever they get but we must show that while we are still together in Nigeria, our agitations, arguments should be logical.
I m sure some ll still misquote me and get e-knock on their head!

You are a good student of history.

1 Like

Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by sircatherine45(m): 2:48pm On Jan 16, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

A deranged assassin has no place in Nigerian honor list. We are coming to tear the shitty statue down.

all noise. You can't do anything.
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 2:49pm On Jan 16, 2023
AdaojoTheUrchin:

They know that their fellow yorubas Ademoyega, Fola Oyewole, Ganiyu Adeleke were actively involved in the coup as documented in Ademoyega's book- Why we struck'. cheesy

No matter how we yoruba Muslims try to hide those facts for propaganda sake, internet has come to stay. grin
grin
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 2:52pm On Jan 16, 2023
gidgiddy:

His coup is not what started the war, his coup happened 18 months before the war started

What caused the war was Gowon's refusal to honour the Aburi agreement he signed
Those people like to write alot of falsehood. Thank God for the internet grin
Re: Statue Of Nzeogwu Erected In His Home Town Of Okpanam - Picture by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 2:54pm On Jan 16, 2023
dalass:
This man started to divide this country along tribal lines by selectively killing Northern and southwest politicians while leaving politicians from his own tribe untouched.

Nigeria was once together but now we are torn apart along tribal lines started by this guy.

I wonder why they erected his statue and what this is doing on fp on a Monday morning. undecided
was Nigeria together when Ahmadu Bello had the interview with the BBC about the Igbo people. ?? Continue to look for an excuse to show your tribalism and bigotry grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Boko Haram Suicide Bomber Killed After Vest Failed To Detonate (Photo) / Buhari And Fuel Scarcity: See How The WOMAN In Diezani Was Portrayed By A Fan / Pete Edochie Endorses His Son, Yul For 2023 Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.