Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (101991 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:25pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Meridian Cup was for the U17. I Think Obafemi Martins and Ifeanyi Udeze were part of that inaugural edition in 1997. We won it by beating Spain in the final!. Yeah I remember now.

Maybe Ogbonna Kanu was part of it too.

Modified:
Yeah correct!. TheGoodJoe, Check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_UEFA-CAF_Meridian_Cup

I had it mixed up. It was not today. Yes we won

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:31pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Meridian Cup was for the U17. I Think Obafemi Martins and Ifeanyi Udeze were part of that inaugural edition in 1997. We won it by beating Spain in the final!. Yeah I remember now.

Modified:
Yeah correct!. TheGoodJoe, Check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_UEFA-CAF_Meridian_Cup

I remember now. It was 1997. I remember where I was when I watched that game. That team had promising players. It is a while.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by chrisooblog: 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
well why i might rate this iheanacho, awoniyi, success etc ahead of the previous generations is the age factor. thankfully due to mri testing we can vouch for this current set. so the potential to improve is there unlike previous generations who when we saw them were probably way older than their declared ages at cadet level. so when we saw a okoye or aghahowa or obodo perform so well at that level chances are these guys were at their peak hence the reason why they fizzled out so quickly. my friend and course mate in uni in the early 2000s told me how ikedia was his senior in secondary school even a senior prefect while na jss my paddy dey o. so as much as age falsification might not be the sole determinant why alot of these promising players faded my experience watching football tells me it definitely negatively impacted on player development in nigeria.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I remember now. It was 1997. I remember where I was when I watched that game. That team had promising players. It is a while.

Yeah, very promising.

I remember we were eliminated by CAF for one wrong doing which I can't remember.

It was the game against Benin Republic enroute qualification for CAF U17 of 1997. Thank God the team had another opportunity which was playing the Meridian Cup. That team would have done well at the FIFA U17 WC. Two players I know came from that crop were Obafemi Martins and Ifeanyi Udeze. Martins I think was spotted in that Meridian Cup and the rest is history. Martins was one of my boys then in my hood. wink

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:03pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Yeah, very promising.

I remember we were eliminated by CAF for one wrong doing which I can't remember.

It was the game against Benin Republic enroute qualification for CAF U17 of 2007. Thank God the team had another opportunity which was playing the Meridian Cup. That team would have done well at the FIFA U17 WC. Two players I know came from that crop were Obafemi Martins and Ifeanyi Udeze. Martins I think was spotted in that Meridian Cup and the rest is history. Martins was one of my boys then in my hood. wink

It was in that competition that Barcelona signed Gbenga Okunnowo. I remember Okunnowo was one of the bright talents in that team. Unfortunately, injury messed him up.

Thanks. I think that tournament exposed our banned young boys. I hope the technical committee can find a way to expose the Manu Garba boys who failed the MRI scan. We might have something there.

Even if it is a local tour playing local League sides. We should not waste them.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 1:16pm On Aug 31, 2016
chrisooblog:
well why i might rate this iheanacho, awoniyi, success etc ahead of the previous generations is the age factor. thankfully due to mri testing we can vouch for this current set. so the potential to improve is there unlike previous generations who when we saw them were probably way older than their declared ages at cadet level. so when we saw a okoye or aghahowa or obodo perform so well at that level chances are these guys were at their peak hence the reason why they fizzled out so quickly. my friend and course mate in uni in the early 2000s told me how ikedia was his senior in secondary school even a senior prefect while na jss my paddy dey o. so as much as age falsification might not be the sole determinant why alot of these promising players faded my experience watching football tells me it definitely negatively impacted on player development in nigeria.

Ur point is very valid. I just hope we will get it right this time.

However, I can tell you that the 1985 Golden Eaglets were picked from secondary schools. So they were actually U17. Then the thinking was children Under 17 years of age should still be in secondary schools. Age cheating started from the 1987 set. But recall one Peter Ogaba who died early this month was 13 years old. One of the pictures shows it below. That young Peter does not look more than 15 to me. The guy was no where to be found after he played U21 two years later.

Most of the 1985 Eaglets were mostly young but did not progress well. Several factors could be responsible which could mostly be linked to lack of exposure to World Class training and facilities as enjoyed by these new boys.

But as I have also stated on this thread that most of the graduates of the FIFA U17 WC don't end up playing for there respective senior national teams. It has been happening all over the world.

Look at the 2013 U17. The expectation was that by now a good number would be bossing things in the national team. For now, only Iheanacho and Musa Mohammed(Friendly game) have featured for the Super Eagles Team A. Musa Mohammed has even just been offloaded by his Turkish club! There are some of them that you would not even get to hear their names anywhere again. This trend as worrisome as it may seem has repeated itself the world over.

2015 marks the end of an era that spans from 2009. We will not be at the 2017 U17 and U20. This will mark an hiatus in Nigerian football and another generation will start building from 2019.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It was in that competition that Barcelona signed Gbenga Okunnowo. I remember Okunnowo was one of the bright talents in that team. Unfortunately, injury messed him up.

Thanks. I think that tournament exposed our banned young boys. I hope the technical committee can find a way to expose the Manu Garba boys who failed the MRI scan. We might have something there.

Even if it is a local tour playing local League sides. We should not waste them.

Yeah. That's true. We need not discard that Eaglets team like that. We all saw their excellent performances at their friendlies prio to the MRI scan disaster.

The Mali U17 Team of 2013 lost to Nigeria on 4-0 aggregate enroute qualification to 2013 CAF U17. 2-0 on both legs. Mali, knowing fully well that they played a Nigerian side that were beating teams 6-0, 5-0, 4-0 and winning 3-0 in the semis and final in the U17 WC kept their team and included some other players. By 2015 U20 they reached the semis and finishing 3rd over-all, even beating the almighty Germany that have become like a goliath to us of late.

The NFF should call back those boys that failed the MRI test. Organize friendlies for them along with the Amuneke U20 that would still be elligible for U20 in 2019 and start building towards the 2019 U20 challenge. But I know the challenge would be cost of bringing those boys to play together once in a while. Nigeria is broke. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by chrisooblog: 1:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
hmmm real truth there. truth is no country in this case european football powerhouses will develop your youth for you. unless something is in it for them.

there's no day we won't have to sort how we pick the best young talents and groom them into becoming thorough breed professionals.

ideally our clubs would have been best placed to do this but our level of club management generally now in this country is too amateurish.

look at south american countries like brazil, uruguay, argentina etc. it's not like they have all the money in the world but even in their limitations they try to give the best coaching and training to their youngsters so that they have the basics tactical and technical wise. by the time these young players now get to europe world class facilities plus intense competition will bring out the best in them hence the reason why most of them become world class.

with nigerian or african players there are mostly raw talents and it's not every european club that has the money, time or patience to start teaching them the basics that they should have known right from the get go.

Icon4s:

Ur point is very valid. I just hope we will get it right this time.

However, I can tell you that the 1985 Golden Eaglets were picked from secondary schools. So they were actually U17. Then the thinking was children Under 17 years of age should still be in secondary schools. Age cheating started from the 1987 set. But recall one Peter Ogaba who died early this month was 13 years old. One of the pictures shows it below. That young Peter does not look more than 15 to me. The guy was no where to be found after he played U21 two years later.

Most of the 1985 Eaglets were mostly young but did not progress well. Several factors could be responsible which could mostly be linked to lack of exposure to World Class training and facilities as enjoyed by these new boys.

But as I have also stated on this thread that most of the graduates of the FIFA U17 WC don't end up playing for there respective senior national teams. It has been happening all over the world.

Look at the 2013 U17. The expectation was that by now a good number would be bossing things in the national team. For now, only Iheanacho and Musa Mohammed(Friendly game) have featured for the Super Eagles Team A. Musa Mohammed has even just been offloaded by his Turkish club! There are some of them that you would not even get to hear their names anywhere again. This trend as worrisome as it may seem has repeated itself the world over.

2015 marks the end of an era that spans from 2009. We will not be at the 2017 U17 and U20. This will mark an hiatus in Nigerian football and another generation will start building from 2019.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:50pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Yeah. That's true. We need not discard that Eaglets team like that. We all saw their excellent performances at their friendlies prio to the MRI scan disaster.

The Mali U17 Team of 2013 lost to Nigeria on 4-0 aggregate enroute qualification to 2013 CAF U17. 2-0 on both legs. Mali, knowing fully well that they played a Nigerian side that were beating teams 6-0, 5-0, 4-0 and winning 3-0 in the semis and final in the U17 WC kept their team and included some other players. By 2015 U20 they reached the semis and finishing 3rd over-all, even beating the almighty Germany that have become like a goliath to us of late.

The NFF should call back those boys that failed the MRI test. Organize friendlies for them along with the Amuneke U20 that would still be elligible for U20 in 2019 and start building towards the 2019 U20 challenge. But I know the challenge would be cost of bringing those boys to play together once in a while. Nigeria is broke. grin

I just read this on a site.

“It was when I joined the club that Xavi introduced himself to me – that he was in the Spanish team that lost 3-2 against Nigeria in the Meridian Cup.”.. Gbenga Okunnowo.

Xavi played us in the Meridian Cup. Played us in the Catalan Thrashing of Nigeria, 5-0. Played in Nigeria in 1999 WYC. Then he was part of the team that played us in the confederation Cup.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 1:58pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I just read this on a site.

“It was when I joined the club that Xavi introduced himself to me – that he was in the Spanish team that lost 3-2 against Nigeria in the Meridian Cup.”.. Gbenga Okunnowo.

Xavi played us in the Meridian Cup. Played us in the Catalan Thrashing of Nigeria, 5-0. Played in Nigeria in 1999 WYC. Then he was part of the team that played us in the confederation Cup.

Hmm wonderful. Little beginnings but mighty endings but for Nigerian players reverse is the case. They shine at U17 and diminish in the Super Eagles.

I recently re-watched the final of 2007 U17 - The penalty shootout I saw on youtube. I shouted when I saw David De Gea in goal for Spain.
Ajiboye had the better of him that day but where is Ajiboye today compared to De Gea?

2 Likes

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I had it mixed up. It was not today. Yes we won

grin You tried Remembering it sef. I had to replay my memory back for several minutes before I even remembered that we took part in and won that Inaugural edition of the Medridian Cup.

Kudos man!

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:21pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Hmm wonderful. Little beginnings but mighty endings but for Nigerian players reverse is the case. They shine at U17 and diminish in the Super Eagles.

I recently re-watched the final of 2007 U17 - The penalty shootout I saw on youtube. I shouted when I saw David De Gea in goal for Spain.
Ajiboye had the better of him that day but where is Ajiboye today compared to De Gea?

Wow. I did not remember that at all. Imagine. David De Gea was no way on Ajiboye's level. I only remember Bojan, Sukuta Pasu, Fran Merida and Toni Kross in that tournament.

That is interesting.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 2:27pm On Aug 31, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Wow. I did not remember that at all. Imagine. David De Gea was no way on Ajiboye's level. I only remember Bojan, Sukuta Pasu, Fran Merida and Toni Kross in that tournament.

That is interesting.

Young David De Gea was in goal for Spain in that final. Search for the video and watch. grin

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2016
chrisooblog:
hmmm real truth there. truth is no country in this case european football powerhouses will develop your youth for you. unless something is in it for them.

there's no day we won't have to sort how we pick the best young talents and groom them into becoming thorough breed professionals.

ideally our clubs would have been best placed to do this but our level of club management generally now in this country is too amateurish.

look at south american countries like brazil, uruguay, argentina etc. it's not like they have all the money in the world but even in their limitations they try to give the best coaching and training to their youngsters so that they have the basics tactical and technical wise. by the time these young players now get to europe world class facilities plus intense competition will bring out the best in them hence the reason why most of them become world class.

with nigerian or african players there are mostly raw talents and it's not every european club that has the money, time or patience to start teaching them the basics that they should have known right from the get go.

That is why we should appreciate and support coaches like Amunike, Manu Garba, Nduka Ugbade, etc.

You can see Arsene Wenger impressed with Nwakali's knowledge. They allowed him to go back to work with the team. Iheanacho showed brilliant knowledge at a young age. Same with Chidebere Nwakali.

We should not leave these coaches idle.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 6:49pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Modified:

Link Shows Ogbonna Kanu was at that Meridian Cup.
https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Kanu

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Danycrusoe(m): 7:06pm On Aug 31, 2016
Icon4s:

Dele Ajiboye plays for Warrior Wolves, its sad our league x not fully developed some of these supposedly forgotten boys are still doing well in d NPFL, dere oda former youth internationals playing week in week out For Top clubs in our league. dx guy who scored a stunning and only goal in d 2015AYC final against mali Obinna Nwobodo is still balling for Enugu Rangers, Ifeanyi Infeanyi is doing great with MFM fc, he played in d 2015 u20WC in NZ, I think he x d club's free kick taker n I cn tell u he takes dem well just DAT he x unlucky to v some of dem being pushed out by d GK or hitting d upright, also King Osanga is in d NPFL also, he was in d 2005 u20 WC with Mikel, ifeanyi Mathew just left Kano Pillars in d NPFL for a club in Europe sum months ago, so many of dem are still playing actively just DAT dey r not in d spotlight yet. I can remember Muazam Alhassanor so who lost his place in d 2013 u17 squad to Iheanacho due to MRI scan, is also in d NPFL

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Danycrusoe(m): 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2016
DX trends doesnt affect Nigeria alone, just dat age cheating has spoiled our image so much dat we r d major focus when it comes many unfulfilled football potentials, pls can someone tell when he last heard of Sukuta Pasu, Berisha, Fran Merida, d Ghanian guy who won d MVP at d 2009/u20 in Egypt, also dere x Borja from d 2009u17 Spain squad, D Switzerland squad of 2009 u17 players i can't hear about any of dem in d big leagues, pls Icon4s, thegoodjoe, supernerd an others pls help me add DOS I ddnt mentioned, respect to u all

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 8:05am On Sep 01, 2016
thegoodjoehunt3:

Link Shows Ogbonna Kanu was in that Meridian Cup.
https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Kanu

Good to know.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 8:16am On Sep 01, 2016
Danycrusoe:

Dele Ajiboye plays for Warrior Wolves, its sad our league x not fully developed some of these supposedly forgotten boys are still doing well in d NPFL, dere oda former youth internationals playing week in week out For Top clubs in our league. dx guy who scored a stunning and only goal in d 2015AYC final against mali Obinna Nwobodo is still balling for Enugu Rangers, Ifeanyi Infeanyi is doing great with MFM fc, he played in d 2015 u20WC in NZ, I think he x d club's free kick taker n I cn tell u he takes dem well just DAT he x unlucky to v some of dem being pushed out by d GK or hitting d upright, also King Osanga is in d NPFL also, he was in d 2005 u20 WC with Mikel, ifeanyi Mathew just left Kano Pillars in d NPFL for a club in Europe sum months ago, so many of dem are still playing actively just DAT dey r not in d spotlight yet. I can remember Muazam Alhassanor so who lost his place in d 2013 u17 squad to Iheanacho due to MRI scan, is also in d NPFL

Firstly King Osanga was with the FIFA U17 of 2007 with Ajiboye, Lukman, Chrisantus and co. and not Mikel of 2005 U20.

Obinna Nwobodo, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi and Ifeanyi Mathew did not play at the FIFA U17 WC but the U20 WC. This underlines my point that real development starts at U19/U20. The U17 should be to harvest the best talents to graduate to U19/U20. We so much celebrate U17 Success and and fail to plan a proper transition into U20. We are always fond of trivializing the U20 believing if the boys can win the U17 then the boys are good enough for the U20. We automatically promote all the U17 players to U20 This has failed us over and over again.

Look at FIFA record, no country has won the FIFA U17 and two years later won the FIFA U20. The U20 is a lot more competitive than the U17.. I have always maintained that the U20 is not for academy players but for young professionals. Players that have played 1-3 seasons of top flight senior team club football.The earlier we understand these the better for our football development and the earlier we can win the FIFA U20 WC.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Icon4s(m): 8:22am On Sep 01, 2016
Danycrusoe:
DX trends doesnt affect Nigeria alone, just dat age cheating has spoiled our image so much dat we r d major focus when it comes many unfulfilled football potentials, pls can someone tell when he last heard of Sukuta Pasu, Berisha, Fran Merida, d Ghanian guy who won d MVP at d 2009/u20 in Egypt, also dere x Borja from d 2009u17 Spain squad, D Switzerland squad of 2009 u17 players i can't hear about any of dem in d big leagues, pls Icon4s, thegoodjoe, supernerd an others pls help me add DOS I ddnt mentioned, respect to u all

That is football development for you. Most of the graduates of the FIFA U17 including those that won the MVP or highest goals award don't end up as super stars. Other players come up and over-take them along the line. This is not peculiar to Nigeria.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Danycrusoe(m): 9:28am On Sep 01, 2016
Icon4s:

That is football development for you. Most of the graduates of the FIFA U17 including those that won the MVP or highest goals award don't end up as super stars. Other players come up and over-take them along the line. This is not peculiar to Nigeria.

Some of dem av been quite unlucky too, like dos who perform well with dier club sides but get ignored consistently by d national teams examples are Isaac Success, I still don't know what is actually delaying his debut for the SE, Kenneth Otigba is also dere, Abdul Ajagun, Olanrewaju Kayode etc dx guys should still prove a decent bench for the national team
Talking about forgotten talents Sanni Emmanuel should b top on d list 2009 u17, Stanley Okoro little messi, DX 2 guys showed a lot of promise but av fizzled out, Ogenyi Onazi, Kenneth Omeruo, Olanrewaju Kayode were members of dat team.
A player I always pity is Femi Opabunmi, I heard about him on radio n TV sometimes DX year n if not for his eye problems d guy would be a SE veteran by now
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Danycrusoe(m): 9:29am On Sep 01, 2016
[quot
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 11:28am On Sep 01, 2016
Danycrusoe:

They are plenty that fell off. So many. Does anyone remember Pablo Gonzalez of the Spanish team in Nigeria '99. No spotlight on him.

In the U17 in 2003 With Mikel and Obasi, there was these guy from Real Betis who played for Spain. Xisco. I thought that guy will reign like Messi.

Ruben and Bakero of Spain, Nigeria 99.

From Nigeria 99
Rivarola, Insua (although he lasted in Independiente in Argentina, did not make it in Europe), P. Costa, Goalkeeper Loriya, Luke Chadwick, Galleti, Emmanuel Zulu, Ofori Quaye, there was one short Ghana guy who scored the goal of the competition, Ngom Kome, Dissa.

There was one Argentine in 2001 U20, Cavenaghi. Bordeaux bought him then. Liduena.

There are so many but Nigeria always receives the tag.

In 93, 95, 97, Ghana played the U17 final in three consecutive tourneys. How many became stars?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Danycrusoe(m): 11:41am On Sep 01, 2016
thegoodjoehunt3:

They are plenty that fell off. So many. Does anyone remember Pablo Gonzalez of the Spanish team in Nigeria '99. No spotlight on him.

In the U17 in 2003 With Mikel and Obasi, there was these guy from Real Betis who played for Spain. Xisco. I thought that guy will reign like Messi.

From Nigeria 99
Rivarola, Insua (although he lasted in Independiente in Argentina, did not make it in Europe), P. Costa, Goalkeeper Loriya, Luke Chadwick, Galleti, Emmanuel Zulu, Ofori Quaye, there was one short Ghana guy who scored the goal of the competition, Ngom Kome, Dissa.

There was one Argentine in 2001 U20, Cavenaghi. Bordeaux bought him then. Liduena.

In 93, 95, 97, Ghana played the U17 final in three consecutive tourneys. How many became stars?
dere are so many others especially from d European countries but age cheating and d fact African countries won more titles at d cadet level always make d world expect much from our young talents and when dey don't live up to expectations dey cry age cheating forgetting so many factors like administration and training facilities etc
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by goldfish80(m): 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2016
Icon4s:

Good memory of players from that era.

Did you mean Igineware George, a former youth international and brother to Finidi George? He was killed by irate 3SC fans when Enugu Rangers went to play a league game in Ibadan.

U also just reminded me of that player called Endurance Idaho. I think he played for either Julius Berger or Dolphins or both. A great talent.

Talking about Sam Okoye. At that U20 he was like a wall. So very solid. Ike Shoroumu was Nigeria's number1 goalie up to 2002. I see no reason y Enyeama and Ejide were invited ahead of Okoye. Okoye was at Enugu Rangers, Enyeama was at Enyimba and Ejide was at Etoile Du Sahel. These 3 guys were the best in our land at that time and Okoye as at then was ahead of them . Enyeama and Ejide progressed more while Okoye was stagnated until he went to the middle east where he died.
Yes! Iginegwari George. Thanks for pointing out how he died. I guess am having bad memory these days.. Lol

Another player I would like to talk about is Emmanuel Olisadebe. Most people erroneously thought he was born in Poland but he was not. I remember watching him play for Jasper untied along side a certain Ifeanyi Ekwueme in 97.
These two guys were so instrumental to Jasper's rise to prominence then. They were in fact so good that the CEO of Jasper United,Jude Ezechukwu usually brought women after games for the pleasure of his star players.
Emma left Nigeria and turned into one he'll of a goal scoring beast. He banged in so much goals that the Polish had to hastily prepare papers for his nationalization.

Personally, I think Emmanuel would have made the super eagles even stronger had he turned out for Nigeria. He was definitely far better than the likes of Agali.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by goldfish80(m): 9:34pm On Sep 01, 2016
thegoodjoehunt3:

From Nigeria 99

It's quite fancy to find people having a go at Nigerian players who failed to make the cut after posting promising displays at cadet tourneys.

Truth is that most of the so called "successful countries" at most have 3-4 players making the grade from their cadet teams. People normally talk about Toni Kross, but when I ask them to mention 3 other players from that German 2007 U17 team who have been capped by Germany, I usually meet deafening silence.
Infact, Erico Sukutu pashu (spelling) is turning out now for Guinea-Bissau or some country like that.

Fran Merida, who featured for Spain and was touted as the new fabregas played at Spanish 3rd division last season.
Iago(spelling) who featured for Spain, later signed on by Juventus is no longer playing competitive football these days. The list is endless.....

If Nigeria is serious about football development and maybe getting to win the World Cup, then we just have to fix our league and make it very competitive. Its a pity we missed the boat when local football was everything to us.
When I say local football, I mean Street league football not NPL. Back in the early 90's, street leagues was keenly followed by all and sundry. All the players we have talked about on this thread came into limelight from various Street leagues in Lagos, Imo, Enugu, Jos etc...

Again. I think the Nff in general should map out a blue print to follow the French FA model of developing players.
Setting up our own Chaterous model academy in each geo political zone of the country. Where players will be developed from age 12.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Nobody: 2:55am On Oct 05, 2017
Icon4s:

Good memory of players from that era.

Did you mean Igineware George, a former youth international and brother to Finidi George? He was killed by irate 3SC fans when Enugu Rangers went to play a league game in Ibadan.

U also just reminded me of that player called Endurance Idaho. I think he played for either Julius Berger or Dolphins or both. A great talent.

Talking about Sam Okoye. At that U20 he was like a wall. So very solid. Ike Shoroumu was Nigeria's number1 goalie up to 2002. I see no reason y Enyeama and Ejide were invited ahead of Okoye. Okoye was at Enugu Rangers, Enyeama was at Enyimba and Ejide was at Etoile Du Sahel. These 3 guys were the best in our land at that time and Okoye as at then was ahead of them . Enyeama and Ejide progressed more while Okoye was stagnated until he went to the middle east where he died.
Igeniwari was not killed by 3Sc fans o. Yes he died in Ibadan in an Fa cup match between Stores and Rangers. 3sc no dey o.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Kog45(m): 1:49pm On Oct 05, 2017
Taliban:

Igeniwari was not killed by 3Sc fans o. Yes he died in Ibadan in an Fa cup match between Stores and Rangers. 3sc no dey o.
Igeniwary died through strange bullet fired by police to control d crowd which was unethical.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by zinizta: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

That is why we should appreciate and support coaches like Amunike, Manu Garba, Nduka Ugbade, etc.

You can see Arsene Wenger impressed with Nwakali's knowledge. They allowed him to go back to work with the team. Iheanacho showed brilliant knowledge at a young age. Same with Chidebere Nwakali.

We should not leave these coaches idle.

iheanacho is 29 years old....
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
zinizta:

iheanacho is 29 years old....

This is Iheanacho in 2010. If your 29 years time table is real, Iheanacho was 19 years in this picture. Fear God.

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by zinizta: 5:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

This is Iheanacho in 2010. If your 29 years time table is real, Iheanacho was 19 years in this picture. Fear God.

that cannot be a 2010 picture... boys that live in Imo state that knows him and schooled with him says he is around that age.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua’s Punch Cut Andy Ruiz In Left Eye In Rematch (Photos) / Messi Shaves His Beard As Enthusiastic Barca Stars Train Before La Liga Return / Nigeria Vs Algeria CAF U23 Championship Finals (2 - 1) On 12th December 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.