Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,767 members, 7,820,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (102105 Views)

Nigerian Soccer Star, Olubayo Adefemi Dies In Car Crash / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. / List Of Nigerian Soccer Players That Back Flip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by zinizta: 5:52pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

This is Iheanacho in 2010. If your 29 years time table is real, Iheanacho was 19 years in this picture. Fear God.

that makes him 27 my nigga .... whats the difference between 27 and 29
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
zinizta:

that cannot be a 2010 picture... boys that live in Imo state that knows him and schooled with him says he is around that age.

More like the liars that live in Imo State. That was an NFF organized tournament. The person that gave him that award is a member of the National team technical crew. The picture is in the archives of the NFF.

Do not put your trust in hearsay.

Iheanacho is in the picture below in about 2013. Does that boy look like someone above 17, talk less of 25 with your 29 years time table.

Finito.

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
zinizta:

that makes him 27 my nigga .... whats the difference between 27 and 29

Iheanacho was about 13 years in that picture in 2010. Eight years later puts him at 21. Very simple.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by zinizta: 7:26pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho was about 13 years in that picture in 2010. Eight years later puts him at 21. Very simple.

walahi talahi you dey lie
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
zinizta:

walahi talahi you dey lie

Is that all you can say? By the way, Nacho passed the compulsory MRI scan. If he was in his twenties in 2013, he never would have passed.

Gerrit?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by zinizta: 7:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Is that all you can say? By the way, Nacho passed the compulsory MRI scan. If he was in his twenties in 2013, he never would have passed.

Gerrit?

oh broooooo.... common... not in a talking mood. ..MRI doesnt determine your age

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
zinizta:

oh broooooo.... common... not in a talking mood. ..MRI doesnt determine your age

The wrist scan for bone fusion is pretty accurate for determining players under the age of seventeen
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by pak: 11:48pm On Jan 28, 2019
1forall:
Well I remember Ademola Adeshina

Also Etim Esin

What happened to Precious Monye?

Remember Leotis Boateng? (he mustve been Ghanian but played in the Nigerian league)

There was this midfielder in our Japan 93 team who was known for his hot shots from range, anyone remember his name?

That was Festus Okougha
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by DeeMain(m): 1:33pm On Jan 29, 2019
1forall:
Well I remember Ademola Adeshina

Also Etim Esin

What happened to Precious Monye?

Remember Leotis Boateng? (he mustve been Ghanian but played in the Nigerian league)

There was this midfielder in our Japan 93 team who was known for his hot shots from range, anyone remember his name?

Karibe Ojigwe

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by DeeMain(m): 1:46pm On Jan 29, 2019
Waleol:
[quoalloysius atuegbu
godwin odiye
adokiye amaesimaka
segun odegbami
kenneth boardman
babaotu mohammed
godwin iwelumor
henry nwosu
muda lawal
felix owoblow owolabi

U get all mix up my friend. D Starting lin up

Best ogedegbe
pat okala
tunde bamidele
david adiele
sylvanus okpala
alloysius atuegbu
godwin odiye
adokiye amaesimaka
segun odegbami
kenneth boardman
babaotu mohammed
godwin iwelumor
henry nwosu
muda lawal
felix owoblow owolabi

U get it all mixed up. D starting line up are (Mind my name spelling please)
prebowei  
Insert Quote
1980 nations cup winning team

1.Best ogedegbe
2.David adiele
3. Okey Isima
4. Muda Lawal
5. Chritian Chukwu
6.Tunde Bamidele
7. Segun Odegbami
8. Alloy Atuegbu
9. Ifayin Oyendika
10. Felix Owolabi
11.Adokiye Amaesimaka

BENCH
Emmanuel Okala and not Patrick (was still in High School IN 1980)
Sylvanus Okpala
Henry Nwosu
Godwin Odiye
Kadiri Ikana
Sheffiu Mohammed

kenneth boardman-(was never there)
babaotu mohammed-1976 NATION'S CUP ONLY
godwin iwelumor-1976&1978

No 9 is Ifeanyi Onyedika

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by DeeMain(m): 1:50pm On Jan 29, 2019
stanloski:
I think for nicknames there are two i really love- I will post the nickname and i want sharp guys to give me the players names:

A player called "ZION TRAIN" hint- he was in the all conquering NNB side of the 80s and the secone one was called "TEN-TEN" also a member of NNB and eagles at Maroc 88. any takers? grin

ps wat of Duke Udi and Gideon Imagbudu?

Zion Train is Sampson Ozogula. Ten-Ten is Bright Omokaro
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by DeeMain(m): 2:16pm On Jan 29, 2019
ARROBA:
Benji Nzeakor Iwuanyanwu Nationale
Totti O Totti
Ali Nayara I think (ranchers Bees)

Benjy Nzeakor - his nickname is Touchline Wizard. Special player.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by DeeMain(m): 2:24pm On Jan 29, 2019
ow11:
3SC 1996 squad

Abiodun Baruwa

Patrick Pascal

Ajibade Babalade

David Ogaga

Dotun Alatishe

Please someone complete this. . . .That squad deserved the title that year

I also remember a certain Jero Shakpoke

Patrick Mancha
Edith Agoye
Duke Udi
Trying to remember the rest.

That set was frightening and intimidating.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by DeeMain(m): 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2019
Icon4s:

Ur point is very valid. I just hope we will get it right this time.

However, I can tell you that the 1985 Golden Eaglets were picked from secondary schools. So they were actually U17. Then the thinking was children Under 17 years of age should still be in secondary schools. Age cheating started from the 1987 set. But recall one Peter Ogaba who died early this month was 13 years old. One of the pictures shows it below. That young Peter does not look more than 15 to me. The guy was no where to be found after he played U21 two years later.

Most of the 1985 Eaglets were mostly young but did not progress well. Several factors could be responsible which could mostly be linked to lack of exposure to World Class training and facilities as enjoyed by these new boys.

But as I have also stated on this thread that most of the graduates of the FIFA U17 WC don't end up playing for there respective senior national teams. It has been happening all over the world.

Look at the 2013 U17. The expectation was that by now a good number would be bossing things in the national team. For now, only Iheanacho and Musa Mohammed(Friendly game) have featured for the Super Eagles Team A. Musa Mohammed has even just been offloaded by his Turkish club! There are some of them that you would not even get to hear their names anywhere again. This trend as worrisome as it may seem has repeated itself the world over.

2015 marks the end of an era that spans from 2009. We will not be at the 2017 U17 and U20. This will mark an hiatus in Nigerian football and another generation will start building from 2019.

Chairman, those under 16 boys were over the age limit. That tournament was for under 16. They were not picked from secondary schools but from mostly YSFON teams across the nation. YSFON boys had left secondary school but were not yet playing in the league. We've been cheating in age competitions from time immemorial and we've paid a heavy price for such shortsightedness as a footballing country.

1 Like

Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by tck2000(m): 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

This is Iheanacho in 2010. If your 29 years time table is real, Iheanacho was 19 years in this picture. Fear God.
lol
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Xarisk: 5:24pm On Jul 09, 2020
Hello friends I am making a research to Nigeria football, for one project I am working for classic and legendary teams and players. I want to find more details for teams:
-Enugu Rangers
-Heartland
-Enyimba International
-Stationery Stores
-Shooting Stars
-Nigeria national team
First of all are those teams the top 5 of Nigeria football all time, the lendary players,coaches(one coach per team) for those teams are??
-Thanks in advance
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ecoco2014(m): 9:14pm On Feb 09, 2021
lagoslag:
How about these guys
Ivan Ikeokwu christopher ohenhen henry nwosu Alloy Agu nduka ogbade ndubuisi okosieme Thunder balogun
Did i bring back any memory?
, Peter Rufai Finidi George emanuel amunike Victor ikpeba
Efan Ekoku not Ivan Ikeokwu
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ecoco2014(m): 9:23pm On Jun 02, 2021
milehigh06:
maybe i skipped something but i have not seen anyone mention
ETIM "10-10" ESIN
it was Bright Omokaro 10-10(IBB NICKNAMED AFTER MAROC 88).
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by Adblg0610: 10:11am On Jun 25, 2023
teeroy:
i forgot to add Wasiu Taiwo, scored on his debut for Eagles against USA at the Gold Cup in '95.
Going down memory lane, I remember the Green Eagles of the 1973 All African Games that won the Gold Medals like Emmanuel Okala, Tony Igwe, Morton Owolo , Sanni Muhammed, Victor Oduah, Dominic Ezeani, Sunny Oyarekhua, Kenneth Olayombo, Haruna Ilerika, Yakubu Mambo and Josiah Dombraye.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 12:29pm On Mar 03
goldfish80:

I just had to comment when I saw you mention the name Kelechi Osunwa. He used to be a handy striker for Dolphins. When he left for Sudan, I honestly thought it was a stop-gap move for him but its unfortunate he couldn't find his way out from there as quickly as possible. Last I heard any news about him was Sudan offering him citizenship to represent them, I guess that process didn't work out because he has already had a few caps for Nigeria.

The Nigerian league within a short period lost its best players to clubs in Sudan. Guys Like Osunwa, Eze, efosa eguakun, Endurance Idaho(Rip) and later Steve Nworgu. These four guys easily would have walked into the National team had they been playing in Europe.
It's worthy of note, they played in an era we had below average players like Abbey George, Ifeanyi Ekwueme and the likes held sway.

I wept bitterly when I heard of Endurance Idaho's demise. I remember the blinder of a goal he scored in the cAf winners cup finals against Etoile du Sahel,which was nominated on the Caf goal of the year. Julis Berger lost the return leg in Souse when my hood guy Ogochukwu obiakor scored a brace in the 3:0 reverse.
Of the Idaho brothers, Endurance was the pick of the pack. Unfortunately, he never made it to Europe but instead died right there on the pitch in Sudan. What an enigma.

Another I would like to mention is Binagwari(spellling) George (Rip), Finidi gorges younger brother was another prodigiously talented footballer. While coming up, many people who saw him rated him highly. He was far more skillful than Finidi will ever be. He went past people like they were training cones. He died while trying out for a club in Europe. However. He was quite behold to watch durring his short career.

Finally, one of the best goalies to have ever graced the Nigerian league but never played for the super eagles, the enigma himself, Sam okoye. He was between the sticks for the flying eagles at Nigeria 99.
The story was that a young Vincent Enyeama then playing for Ibom stars attended the Nigeria 99 tryouts. While in camp, he simply packed his bags and suit cases when Sam okoye arrived.
Okoye was like the love child of Oliver Khan/Jose chilavette, he could dribble, pass and start attacks from his position as a GK. Pep Guardiola would have loved him certainly. By a country mile, he was the best goalie in the league.
There was a particular league game he scored from his own half of the pitch. He was insanely talented

It was heart breaking when he died while trying out for a club in Iran. Am still puzzled till date what exactly made him take the decision to leave for Iran. Many people believed it was out of frustration, having seen guys like Etafia, Enyeama and Ejide who he was a good few yards ahead of, getting call ups to the national team while he was ignored.
Alot of league watchers were left scratching their heads each time Sam okoye was passed over by Christian chukwu and Eguavoen.

Thank God the Nigerian league is being gradually repositioned. A lot of our best players over the years died mysterious deaths on their pursuit for greener pastures in obscure countries.
Rip Sam okoye and the rest of them.

Sam Okoye and Endurance Idahor made me cry. Chai, I cry each time I watch the video of Endurance death. I was a goalkeeper in secondary school in 99, Oliver Kahn was my idol... Sam Okoye was loved too. RIP to them both
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 12:44pm On Mar 03
TheGoodJoe:

Add Greg Etafia to the list. That guy was a fine keeper. Brilliant in the post.

Etafia na basket abeg, I can't forget Sydney 2000 against Chile. Abegi
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by do4luv14(m): 1:06pm On Mar 03
Akolawole:
Wasiu lives in Holland.
@Teeroy Do you want to us to list where they are now or just mention their names?

Wole Odegbami
Peter Nieketien
Osaro Obabaifo
Nosa Osadolor

#I will use up the whole page o#

Remove Odegbemi from there, biko
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by do4luv14(m): 1:10pm On Mar 03
maybe i skipped something but i have not seen anyone mention ETIM "10-10" ESIN

Etim the " Infant Terrible "
it was Bright Omokaro that was named 10-10
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 1:15pm On Mar 03
Icon4s:

Ogbeche? Really? Ogbeche was 17 when he featured at the 2002 World Cup meaning he was initially considered then even as a 15 year old?

So sad Femi Opabunmi fell off with his eyes problem. Life happened to him
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:45pm On Mar 03
ehizario2012:

Etafia na basket abeg, I can't forget Sydney 2000 against Chile. Abegi

Greg Etafia had a history before that 1 match. Also, I remember him from his days of Lobi Stars, and the Olympics qualifiers. He was a brilliant talent.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 7:13pm On Mar 03
goldfish80:

Yes! Iginegwari George. Thanks for pointing out how he died. I guess am having bad memory these days.. Lol

Another player I would like to talk about is Emmanuel Olisadebe. Most people erroneously thought he was born in Poland but he was not. I remember watching him play for Jasper untied along side a certain Ifeanyi Ekwueme in 97.
These two guys were so instrumental to Jasper's rise to prominence then. They were in fact so good that the CEO of Jasper United,Jude Ezechukwu usually brought women after games for the pleasure of his star players.
Emma left Nigeria and turned into one he'll of a goal scoring beast. He banged in so much goals that the Polish had to hastily prepare papers for his nationalization.

Personally, I think Emmanuel would have made the super eagles even stronger had he turned out for Nigeria. He was definitely far better than the likes of Agali.

For the records,igeniwari George was not shot by 3sc fans. Infact the match was Challenge cup between Stationary stores and Rangers, bad a officiating caused the after match crisis. Police intervened and stray bullet hit George at mokola roundabout inside the bus. People believed It was police stray bullet that killed him, not the Dane gun bullet they claimed them. His body took time to be released.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 7:16pm On Mar 03
TheGoodJoe:

This was our 2006/7 jersey I guess
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 7:23pm On Mar 03
TheGoodJoe:

Greg Etafia had a history before that 1 match. Also, I remember him from his days of Lobi Stars, and the Olympics qualifiers. He was a brilliant talent.

Bros I greet you. But you'll agree that Okoye should have been our goalkeeper not even Etafia. Politics has been killing us for long. People say Sam Okoye was a little arrogant though, maybe that's what happened.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:25pm On Mar 03
ehizario2012:

Bros I greet you. But you'll agree that Okoye should have been our goalkeeper not even Etafia. Politics has been killing us for long. People say Sam Okoye was a little arrogant though, maybe that's what happened.

I did not follow Sam Okoye outside the national team as I did with Greg Etafia. So I am not in the best position to judge that.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:27pm On Mar 03
ehizario2012:

This was our 2006/7 jersey I guess

I don't even know which design was this.
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 6:35am On Mar 07
Shinor:
@BOLAONI, God Bless you. Again what did i say? GOD BLESS YOU. For me there is only one club- FLAMING-Iyo ni O. Pokulowo e, Albarka loju.

The best team manager- baba Joo.

I am awaiting when Mike adenuga will know that he has to have a club in the league just like MKO did to really maximise all the money he is pouring into sponsorship. I wish he will just buy the name stationary stores and brand dem Glo Boys, but then stores is not used to big money.

BOLA abeg run that team by me again. I have my popsie's 1967 single by King Sunny Ade dedicated to FLAMING FLAMENGOES winning the Challenge Cup. I wan put am for CD.

Its is our poku lowo e that Arsene Wenger studied-----ask him and he will confess he was a follower of STATIONARY STORES and saw our success.

I will not rest until i bring my 3 yr old to Lagos and show him old UAC stadium and Onikan.
I was born at Maye street , yaba but grew on Tejuosho street and was made to understand that in our family, we only support SUPER, so my son must understand . No time for Crystal Palace in my House.

Did you later bring your son to Lagos? Or he's playing at crystal palace youth team now?
Re: Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer by ehizario2012: 7:02am On Mar 07
akinalabi:

WRONG!

He was part of the squad. He played the first match against
Kenya, flew to Belgium and came back to play the final against
Cameroun.

Seriously? What led to this please? Onana style

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Anthony Joshua’s Punch Cut Andy Ruiz In Left Eye In Rematch (Photos) / Messi Shaves His Beard As Enthusiastic Barca Stars Train Before La Liga Return / Nigeria Vs Algeria CAF U23 Championship Finals (2 - 1) On 12th December 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.