Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related (51923 Views)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 7:02pm On Feb 21
i learn everyday.... thanks

yup yup stressful even for new build.. i cant imagine what stress levels houses with chains come with..

Glad you love your new home

Stevepop:

[b]There is a final inspection from NHBC once everything is completed and ready to be moved into. [/b]We put our stuffs in storage for the period. It was a stressful period but all in the past now. It's been two months since we moved in and the experience have been good so far, developer (barratts) has really been responsive in rectifying issues (all minors and nothing major).
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 1:24am On Feb 22
labiola:

Good afternoon all.

Thank you to everyone that have been sharing valuable information here.

Please, i just want you to guide me on the next line of action. I viewed a property and the owner is happy to accept my offer. I have already gotten a AIP from Natwest. Please, what is the next line of action as the agent asked me to submit our documents.

Estate agents usually do this to identify buyers that are truly ready. Your AIP should be enough proof that you are ready. Some also take it a bit further by asking for proof of deposit, not sure if you are required to oblige them this.

I know we talked about Mortgage advisor, Solicitor and Surveyor . At what point will each of this people come into the process.

Mortgage advisor>>Surveyor>>Solicitor.

I'll say a mortgage advisor is the first to contact once you've identified the property you are interested in. A good one is supposed to check the whole of the market for you to get a rate that is most competitive given your circumstances.

Next is the Surveyor, who carries out a survey and gives you a report that details the state of the property. Ideally, this should happen before you put in an offer, so you can put forward an offer that truly reflects the state of the property as detailed in the survey report.

Lastly, your solicitor, who will carry out the searches, do AML checks, interface with the seller, complete the actual purchase process and register your title with the land registry.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 1:34am On Feb 22
Teenuh:
Hello everyone.
Thank you for your constant updates and information on this page.

Please I would like to know if there’s any restrictions with adding an extra bathroom to a purchased home? So, I have been seeing nice and affordable 3 bed and 4bed houses but the wahala is the 1 bath that comes with it πŸ˜…. I was wondering if it is possible to buy this type of house and then have builders fix or create an extra bathroom in such houses? Is this allowed?

The house is yours to do with as you please. However, certain restrictions might be in place depending on the type of title you have and the covenants in the said title. Planning permission might also be required in certain cases, but this will generally apply to external works.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ticha: 9:27am On Feb 22
Teenuh:
Is this allowed?

As long as the house is not listed or there are no covenants restricting internal layout changes, yep you can. Be aware that there is a shortage of tradesmen and there are a lot of cowboy tradesmen out there!

Take room sizes into consideration as well as reducing number of rooms etc when adding the additional bedroom as it may affect your resale. Usually though l, an extra bathroom does add more value than an extra bedroom. Check the current ceiling prices for your neighbourhood and aim to keep under that

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zahra29: 10:58am On Feb 22
Ticha:

As long as the house is not listed or there are no covenants restricting internal layout changes, yep you can. Be aware that there is a shortage of tradesmen and there are a lot of cowboy tradesmen out there!

Take room sizes into consideration as well as reducing number of rooms etc when adding the additional bedroom as it may affect your resale. [b]Usually though l, an extra bathroom does add more value than an extra bedroom. [/b]Check the current ceiling prices for your neighbourhood and aim to keep under that

Re the bolded, it's funny how times change - not too long ago, it was common to have only 1 bathroom/ washroom/toilet and this would typically be outside or through the kitchen if lucky πŸ₯ΆπŸ˜‚

And now the trend is for extra bathrooms, ensuites and a downstairs cloakroom is a must have for most households and an instant value-adder

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by labiola: 11:13am On Feb 22
[quote author=Estroller post=128581666][/quote]

Thank you so much for your response.

I am really confused and really want to get this right. You said, surveyor should come before making an offer, but in my case, I have given an offer and I have not even engaged surveyor. Is it possible to get a surveyor report and still renegotiate the initial offer? I need more clarity on this!

Thank you once again for your time.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 3:25pm On Feb 22
labiola:

Thank you so much for your response.

I am really confused and really want to get this right. You said, surveyor should come before making an offer, but in my case, I have given an offer and I have not even engaged surveyor. Is it possible to get a surveyor report and still renegotiate the initial offer? I need more clarity on this!

Thank you once again for your time.

Yes you can go back to the seller with a revised offer. Nothing is set in stone until you exchange contract.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ticha: 2:11am On Feb 24
Zahra29:

Re the bolded, it's funny how times change - not too long ago, it was common to have only 1 bathroom/ washroom/toilet and this would typically be outside or through the kitchen if lucky πŸ₯ΆπŸ˜‚

And now the trend is for extra bathrooms, ensuites and a downstairs cloakroom is a must have for most households and an instant value-adder

Yes o. It's baffling to see a 4 bedroom home with 2 ensuites, a family bathroom and a cloak room. Who's cleaning all those bathrooms?!
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by abuhusna1: 10:38am On Feb 24
Lexusgs430:

The Leasehold and Freehold Reform Bill was introduced to Parliament on 27 November 2023 and is intended to give leaseholders a fairer deal, making it easier and cheaper to claim an extended lease or buy the freehold, and giving them greater rights and protections.13 Dec 2023

Let's hope .......🀣😁
New Leasehold tenure is now 1000 years for any new build which makes almost samething with freehold
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 12:34pm On Feb 24
abuhusna1:

New Leasehold tenure is now 1000 years for any new build which makes almost samething with freehold

What about older leasehold agreements ........
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 1:54pm On Feb 24
Thinking of buying a new build.........πŸ€”

Santander is offering 5% deposit from Tuesday.......

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/money/santander-to-offer-95-mortgages-on-newbuild-homes-b1141217.html

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by abuhusna1: 3:42pm On Feb 24
Lexusgs430:

What about older leasehold agreements ........
100 years mostly
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Santa2: 11:56am On Feb 28
Pearlyfaze:

We have 11 months left on our visa and the contract was exchanged yesterday. We clocked two years in the UK in December 2023. For Barclays, as long as you are on a skilled worker visa and have been two years in the UK, Just bring 10% and collect House.

@Pearlyfaze, how long did it take between when the mortgage advisor applied for your mortgage and when you got the offer? Using Barclays too so I just want to get an idea of the timeframe. Make the thing come quick so that I fit sleep well abeg.lol

@Solumtoya I believe you used Barclays too, could you shed some light on this timeline?

Daalu
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 11:55pm On Feb 28
Santa2:

@Pearlyfaze, how long did it take between when the mortgage advisor applied for your mortgage and when you got the offer? Using Barclays too so I just want to get an idea of the timeframe. Make the thing come quick so that I fit sleep well abeg.lol

@Solumtoya I believe you used Barclays too, could you shed some light on this timeline?

Daalu

3 weeks. Usually 2 weeks though, mine had some delay
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Santa2: 1:44am On Feb 29
Solumtoya:

3 weeks. Usually 2 weeks though, mine had some delay

Thanks a lot. Appreciate
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Pearlyfaze: 12:06pm On Feb 29
Santa2:

Daalu

Sorry for the late reply. mine took a week and when I requested a new rate it took 3 days.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Pearlyfaze: 12:55pm On Feb 29
February ended with Keys in our Hands.

As we sit amidst boxes in the warm embrace of our very first home, our hearts are overflowing with gratitude. This moment, so monumental in our lives, was made possible not just by our dreams and efforts, but significantly by the support, guidance, and encouragement we received along the way.
We wanted to take a moment to express our sincerest thanks to you. Your insightful advice, mortgage advice, financial guidance, etc was invaluable to us. Your wisdom and experience shed light on paths we hadn't considered and smoothed out the bumps on the road to homeownership.
This home is more than just a structure of bricks and mortar to us; it represents a milestone, a canvas for our future memories, and a testament to the enduring spirit of support and community we've been lucky enough to experience. Every corner of it already echoes with the promise of future laughter, love, and the making of fond memories. And in every one of those moments, we'll remember the role you played in bringing this dream to fruition.
So, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you.

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
Developer: Gleeson
5% Deposit contribution
Kitchen and Bathroom upgrades and Free carpets
Lender: Barclays
Mortgage Tenor: 25years.
Deposit two years LISA Max out.
LTV 80%.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Santa2: 1:31pm On Feb 29
Pearlyfaze:

As we sit amidst boxes in the warm embrace of our very first home, our hearts are overflowing with gratitude. This moment, so monumental in our lives, was made possible not just by our dreams and efforts, but significantly by the support, guidance, and encouragement we received along the way.
We wanted to take a moment to express our sincerest thanks to you. Your insightful advice, mortgage advice, financial guidance, etc was invaluable to us. Your wisdom and experience shed light on paths we hadn't considered and smoothed out the bumps on the road to homeownership.
This home is more than just a structure of bricks and mortar to us; it represents a milestone, a canvas for our future memories, and a testament to the enduring spirit of support and community we've been lucky enough to experience. Every corner of it already echoes with the promise of future laughter, love, and the making of fond memories. And in every one of those moments, we'll remember the role you played in bringing this dream to fruition.

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
5% Deposit contribution
LTV 80%.

COngratulations! Alas all the wahala comes to fruition. Hope to be in your shoes soon. Does the bolded mean you got 5% deposit contribution from your developer?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by labiola: 1:34pm On Feb 29
Please can you recommend any Mortgage Advisor to me .

[quote author=Estroller post=128581666][/quote]
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 1:40pm On Feb 29
Pearlyfaze:

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
5% Deposit contribution
LTV 80%.

Congratulations on this achievement........ We are already uncocking our bottles of shiraz + fried goat meat...... In celebrations with you...... πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸ€£

RENT MONEY IS INDEED DEAD MONEY....... If you can do it, anyone can ..... With hardwork, sacrifice and determination....... Anything is possible..... 😜

I go like see the love letters, wey una dey send to unaselves......... πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Pearlyfaze: 2:06pm On Feb 29
Santa2:

COngratulations! Alas all the wahala comes to fruition. Hope to be in your shoes soon. Does the bolded mean you got 5% deposit contribution from your developer?

Yes
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ticha: 2:46pm On Feb 29
Pearlyfaze:

Congratulations 🎊 πŸ‘
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 3:28pm On Feb 29
Pearlyfaze:

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
5% Deposit contribution
LTV 80%.

Congratulations on your new home! You write so well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 3:31pm On Feb 29
Lexusgs430:

Congratulations on this achievement........ We are already uncocking our bottles of shiraz + fried goat meat...... In celebrations with you...... πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸ€£

RENT MONEY IS INDEED DEAD MONEY....... If you can do it, anyone can ..... With hardwork, sacrifice and determination....... Anything is possible..... 😜

I go like see the love letters, wey una dey send to unaselves......... πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

Baba no dey ever tire to preach this gospel 😁 big ups to youπŸ’ͺπŸ™Œ Your converts don dey plenty, many more go still join.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 3:42pm On Feb 29
Estroller:

Baba no dey ever tire to preach this gospel 😁 big ups to youπŸ’ͺπŸ™Œ Your converts don dey plenty, many more go still join.

Just incase people have forgotten the message and resting on their laurels.........πŸ˜„

My reminder would serve as redbull......... Given them wings......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜”πŸ˜
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 3:48pm On Feb 29
Pearlyfaze:

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
5% Deposit contribution
LTV 80%.

Congratulations πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰ This is a great achievement.

PS - you should write a book!

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Pearlyfaze: 4:05pm On Feb 29
Estroller:

Congratulations on your new home! You write so well.

I still dey learn work.

Thank you so much
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Pearlyfaze: 4:11pm On Feb 29
Estroller:

If Oga Boss @Lexusgs430 opens church I go be one of his first Protocol officers.

Wetin' him don do for me in this UK nor be small. I dey watch DSTV and plenty other things them, na him
Rent Money is dead money na him preach am make e from enter my madula.

Oga boss your face show, your shoe shine.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 5:36pm On Feb 29
Great way to end the month of love

Congrats..

Is it true that land registry takes time and can be done after completion date?

Pearlyfaze:

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
5% Deposit contribution
LTV 80%.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by ukay2: 7:29pm On Feb 29
Pearlyfaze:

2years UK Resident.
Skilled Worker Visa.
New Build Home 3Bedroom
5% Deposit contribution
LTV 80%.

Congratulations πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ and welcome to the property ladder πŸͺœ

RENT MONEY IS DEAD MONEY according to oga @Lexusg430

Next is to start buying quality Shares in NYSE via Trading212 stocks and shares ISA account... Oga Lexusg430 should start preaching Stocks Investment too grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Pearlyfaze: 8:35pm On Feb 29
ukay2:

Next is to start buying quality Shares in NYSE via Trading212 stocks and shares ISA account... Oga Lexusg430 should start preaching Stocks Investment too grin

Na the next line of action be this.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 9:11pm On Feb 29
ukay2:

I have already spoken about this gospel(numerous times), and even provided an analysis tool, that is my investment bible......πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (39) (Reply)

Obituary Of Two Brothers Who Died In Ghastly Motor Accident In Anambra (Photos) / Why Do Black Women In America Hate White Women & Are So Toxic? (Photos) / 103 Wedding Guests Die In Boat Mishap In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.