Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,525 members, 7,812,638 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related - Travel (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related (51795 Views)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by deept(m): 11:28am On Mar 13
profemebee:
thanks for the responses..

hmmm high? 1k? 5k? 10? high?

i just dey think

Depends on what needs doing. Unless there is a sinkhole or something major damage I don't think it will get to that.

When I say high, let me illustrate, a job that will cost let's say 5k if you go to get a quote from a contractor, the management company could do it for 10k and give you all your share of the bill and there is little you can do about it unless things have changed
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 11:32am On Mar 13
thanks for this example

in this example, why will management company's own quote be more expensive tho?

deept:

Depends on what needs doing. Unless there is a sinkhole or something major damage I don't think it will get to that.

When I say high, let me illustrate, a job that will cost let's say[b] 5k if you go to get a quote from a contractor, the management company could do it for 10k [/b]and give you all your share of the bill and there is little you can do about it unless things have changed
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by deept(m): 11:42am On Mar 13
profemebee:
thanks for this example

You have them the power when you signed the terms of your purchase. That's why it's important to read the terms and ask your solicitors questions about what you do not understand.

They are out to make money.

Important rule in the UK, know what you are signing and it's implications.

Tp1s for new builds is like a whole textbook. The ones for older builds usually a few pages.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 11:59am On Mar 13
profemebee:
but won't most new build buyers have this same issue though?

unadopted roads and all

Just asking for experiences from new build owners

Since we're learning, I would give you a recent example........

I was chatted up by one of us here ........ He/She was about to buy a newish build....... The property in question had a parking space for about 3 cars ........

Now the clincher......... The property owner would not own those parking spaces, those spaces are owned by management company, you would have to pay, to park your cars, in front of your own house (not off street parking)..........😁😜
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by deept(m): 12:45pm On Mar 13
Lexusgs430:

I was chatted up by one of us here ........ He/She was about to buy a newish build....... The property in question had a parking space for about 3 cars ........

Now the clincher......... The property owner would not own those parking spaces, those spaces are owned by management company, you would have to pay, to park your cars, in front of your own house (not off street parking)..........😁😜

Case close to home, owner owned the land but not the rights to park.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by deept(m): 12:46pm On Mar 13
profemebee:
thanks for this example

We are waiting for your good news o.you suppose don graduate since.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 12:46pm On Mar 13
deept:

Case close to home, owner owned the land but not the rights to park.

Absolutely....... This UK nah proper capitalist venture......πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 12:56pm On Mar 13
lol this parking thing

what if I don't have 3 cars, can others parking pay me? cheesy

My current apartment is 120 quid a space per month

Lexusgs430:

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 12:57pm On Mar 13
lol i'm learning oooo.. trying to be a good student

This thing is like PHD

deept:

We are waiting for your good news o.you suppose don graduate since.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 12:58pm On Mar 13
profemebee:
lol this parking thing

what if I don't have 3 cars, can others parking pay me? cheesy

My current apartment is 120 quid a space per month

Would others have a parking pass, with your registration embossed.........😁

You don't own the land, Infront of your house........ All you can do with that space is, walk on it + temporarily drop your Tesco shopping bags......

Or they charge you for illegal trespass...........πŸ˜πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 1:06pm On Mar 13
so what did your friend do? not even one car park space is somehow

Lexusgs430:

Would others have a parking pass, with your registration embossed.........😁

You don't own the land, Infront of your house........ All you can do with that space is, walk on it + temporarily drop your Tesco shopping bags......

Or they charge you for illegal trespass...........πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 1:09pm On Mar 13
profemebee:
so what did your friend do? not even one car park space is somehow

Withdrew from the purchase...... 😁

Remember, the parking charge is not fixed. So the MC would keep increasing the charge.........

Or someone else buys them over and changes the rules entirely (never in your favour)........πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 1:33pm On Mar 13
that's an issue.. just increasing without any regulations

Lexusgs430:

Withdrew from the purchase...... 😁

Remember, the parking charge is not fixed. So the MC would keep increasing the charge.........

Or someone else buys them over and changes the rules entirely (never in your favour)........πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 1:38pm On Mar 13
profemebee:
that's an issue.. just increasing without any regulations

If you park a Ferrari + Bentley on your drive...... How would you want your MC executives to feel........ They can't keep charging Β£120 pcm forever........ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­

That wealth must trickle down....... 😜
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 1:45pm On Mar 13
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

thats a great way to put it

Lexusgs430:

If you park a Ferrari + Bentley on your drive...... How would you want your MC executives to feel........ They can't keep charging Β£120 pcm forever........ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­

That wealth must trickle down....... 😜
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Nemie: 12:03pm On Mar 21
Hi all. For everyone who has completed on a new build, can you share what freebies you were able to snatch up. I am aware that developers can be quite generous if you ask, but not everyone is even aware that you can get some extras for free. It would be good if you can share from your experience what was added on top as a reference point for others who may be towing the same path. Sorry if this has been covered before.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by ukay2: 8:44pm On Mar 25
Any one invested in Solar Energy and Batteries please?

I am thinking of going solar panels and batteries and go off the national grids. I may even sell the excess energy l will generate to the national grids and get paid by the energy companiesgrin grin

At Lexusgs430 et al.... Advice please
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 9:10pm On Mar 25
ukay2:
Any one invested in Solar Energy and Batteries please?

I am thinking of going solar panels and batteries and go off the national grids. I may even sell the excess energy l will generate to the national grids and get paid by the energy companiesgrin grin

At Lexusgs430 et al.... Advice please

I have heard people do it, but they did not have anything good to say about it ......

Remember, you would require consent from your mortgage provider, prior to mounting those panels......😁

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Vintagee: 4:02pm On Mar 28
Please what do you have to say about Rent to Buy. Its a new build and you have the opportunity for shared ownership at any point but can only do a full purchase after 5 years on the RTB contract.

The rent is slightly lower than market rate for same kind of property in the same area considering its supposed to be a 20% discount.

@Lexusgs430 and other Elders.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by ukay2: 6:55pm On Mar 28
Lexusgs430:

I have heard people do it, but they did not have anything good to say about it ......

Remember, you would require consent from your mortgage provider, prior to mounting those panels......😁

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

Thank you Boss....

Let me use the funds to buy more NYSE stocks..... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 9:30pm On Mar 28
ukay2:

Thank you Boss....

Let me use the funds to buy more NYSE stocks..... grin grin grin

Or even going long on S&P 500......... 😜😁

NB: Not investment advice...... 😊

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 9:34pm On Mar 28
Vintagee:
Please what do you have to say about Rent to Buy. Its a new build and you have the opportunity for shared ownership at any point but can only do a full purchase after 5 years on the RTB contract.

The rent is slightly lower than market rate for same kind of property in the same area considering its supposed to be a 20% discount.

@Lexusgs430 and other Elders.

Have you considered cost of staircasing, restrictive covenants, leasehold status, monkey dey work, baboon dey chop equity status etc etc etc...... 😁😜

That 20% supposed discount, is simply a greek gift.....πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ogonsbaba: 10:25am On Mar 29
Me and my wife just maxed out our LISA accounts. My joy knows no bound as we start saving for our journey to the property ladder. Thanks to Lexusgs430 and other well-meaning and lovers of properties for letting me know that "rent money is dead money". Lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 10:30am On Mar 29
Ogonsbaba:
Me and my wife just maxed out our LISA accounts. My joy knows no bound as we start saving for our journey to the property ladder. Thanks to Lexusgs430 and other well-meaning and lovers of properties for letting me know that "rent money is dead money". Lol

I hope you don't feel we put you people, under undue financial pressure.........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ

Remember, your landlord provides a service .....πŸ˜€
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ogonsbaba: 6:18pm On Mar 31
Lexusgs430:

I hope you don't feel we put you people, under undue financial pressure.........πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œ

Remember, your landlord provides a service .....πŸ˜€

Nope, not at all.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 6:26pm On Mar 31
Ogonsbaba:

Nope, not at all.

Good....... Some people said we are forcing people to fly, before they could crawl...........πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 3:04pm On Apr 01
Signed sealed and delivered....

New build .. 12% deposit.. Barclays..

Thanks to everyoneeeeeeeeeeeee.. especially Lexus, Ticha, justwise, LagosismyHome, Deept, Estroller, Stevepop, Mohtunrahyor, Santa2, Zahra29, Solumtoya, Jedisco, Peerielass, bigtt76, newbie715, etc

I hope i didn't forget anyone...

Rent money isn't dead money tho.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Have a blessed day

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by deept(m): 3:05pm On Apr 01
profemebee:
Signed sealed and delivered... jedisco

Thanks to everyoneeeeeeeeeeeee.. especially Lexus, Ticha, justwise, LagosismyHome, Deept, Estroller, Stevepop, Mohtunrahyor, Santa2, Zahra29, Solumtoya, Jedisco, Peerielass, bigtt76, newbie715, etc

Have a blessed day

Yay,!!!!! Graduation at last. Congratulations.

So did you move out and in on same day?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 3:26pm On Apr 01
thanks cheesy

nope, did a day after.. also didn't have to worry about paying rent and mortgage same time (which was my initial fear)

deept:

Yay,!!!!! Graduation at last. Congratulations.

So did you move out and in on same day?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 4:46pm On Apr 01
profemebee:

Have a blessed day

Congratulations!!!! We go wash am oo. lol.

What was the interest rate if you don’t mind sharing? Did you buy a stock house or off-plan?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 6:28pm On Apr 01
profemebee:

Have a blessed day

Congratulations...,...πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰

Comeback after your property has some equity and interpolate your statement........πŸ˜πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by LaXxOnebody(m): 7:05pm On Apr 01
Congratulations.

You dragged it but you still bagged it.

When you ask for direvtions and use a map, getting to your destination is more assured.

profemebee:

Have a blessed day

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply)

Vehicle Falls Into A Ditch On Lagos-Benin Road, All Passengers Dead (Photos) / Young Boys Film Themselves Disorganizing 45k Hotel Room Before Checking Out / Plane Carrying Fitness Mogul, Schaller, Family Crashes In Costa Rica. No Word On

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.