Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,615 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration (46364 Views)

How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Information About Canada Migration With SSCE / Canada Migration....... The Secrets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by scrolldown88: 2:43pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020, I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

I'm an introvert and I like my introversion. It gives me a lot of time to think and to be in my own space which I enjoy a lot. I read, write and love to watch documentaries. Those are the three most important things to me in life. When I lived in Nigeria, I lived a mostly secluded life that didn't have a lot of people in it. Regardless, it wasn't boring to me. I went out when I wanted to and took my time for my own activities.

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one key point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

That's about it. I think these are some of the challenges Nigerian immigrants face. But the real question is, do I feel lonely?

The honest answer to that is a No. I find that my life is exactly the same way I lived it in Nigeria, only a lot more convenient and comfortable. I can't trade this for anything. In addition, as an introvert who likes to be by herself anyways, it's just a lot more enjoyable.

Nevertheless, there are steps I'm planning to take to change a few things. I am now taking more opportunities to actually go out and buy things even if I don't have to, e.g groceries, clothes, etc. Secondly, I say hello first to strangers and neighbours and get to ask them a few questions. This I wouldn't have done on the first place. Finally, I downloaded a social media application called clubhouse and have been making new friends in my area using this. As a cautious person, I'm taking baby steps here and not jumping straight into friendships I may not like.

Overall, what do I think of being in Canada as an introvert? I enjoy it. My life and choices are a lot better and I find that I have the time to do much more than I was doing back in Nigeria, not hampered by lack of power or resources.

My advice to others is to gauge their expectations carefully as they come to Canada with or without family. It can be lonely here, but that's not because Canada itself is lonely. It's just because you need to dig deep and find yourself in a new country where family is absent and culture is unfamiliar.

If you're life was so enjoyable and perfect, why then do you speak of implementing those measures to change it. Your entire post is a bit contradictory.

I find that most introverts are not being entirely honest with their introversion and desire to socialize. For the most part, a lot know that there's a void of social interaction that they yearn to be filled. But they talk as if they're living in paradise, yet talk within the same epistle, talk of implementing measures to switch up their supposedly perfect life. It's contradictory.
It's also an introvert delimma. I say this cuz I'm one

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Kobicove(m): 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2023
Goodbadbowy419:

Kongi don do you bad thing 😂😂

grin
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by FOOTSOLDIER1: 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2023
Edc2:
You are in which province and from which part of nigeria I am in Toronto and from southwest

No need of mentioning southwest, south north or south east, are we not all one again?
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Shikena(m): 2:45pm On Feb 17, 2023
While the US is totally different from Canada due to many factors, some still complain about loneliness. It was never a concern for me despite being borderline introvert. When I got to the US, I easily met so many people at my apartment gym, then a bit more at the library.

For my baddest friend who later hooked me up with a lovely Nigerian lady, and many others that were too wild for me, I met him at an IT Tech convention downtown. I later found out there are many families known to my family and friends all over the place and nearby cities.

These countries are advanced and there are many physical events and conferences going on every month. Use your head, be innovative. Upward mobile, well educated, young Nigerians are always there. A smart way is to first find someone of same sex as buddy, get the good looking social type even if you don't drink, they will hook you up.

Loneliness is exaggerated, it's often a choice as you always have options. For many, they just love it and it's no issue.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Princedapace(m): 2:46pm On Feb 17, 2023
Congrats.

I love naija and within africa abeg. I love to eat my cultural foods without having to do a lot work abeg. I am not againt anyone traveling. I am just talking about my self.
Nigeria has wack govt and crazy masses, I know. Life is short. I can only visit other countries on vacation, I still love to see my family, my mom, my siblings, enjoy the cultural food.
I have solar installed, I have power 24/7. I drive my small car fully AC, above all, ladies are so affordable here. U can get a stable side chick for as low as 20k per month and kack as u like. Life is too short to waste it.

Also, I earn online which means I can kinda cope with the naira inflation rate since I dont get paid in naira grin. I know naija is insecure, so, I mind how I move.
I am one hater of Nigeria o. Don't get me wrong. Even if I would relocate, it would be within a more peaceful african country. I just love being around people who look like me more. I no get energy for all that cordination in white man's land.
Like I said, this is my own opinion. I work hard to keep improving my dollar income online and enjoy the umu asa as much as I can.
Babes cheap for here abeg. Nothing dey this life aside p*ssy and money and hopefully, live healthy if possible.
I wish u all the best nne!

They also said Nigeria fit fight war. Oh, well, people in Ukraine never believed they could get into war last year. Well, it happened.
The world is not predicable and death can come at anywhere. War may break out even in the least expected country.

Abeg, if ur income is in naira and it is low, japa if u can o grin

We just hope for the best as we live the NOW/

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by akpascomartino: 2:48pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020, I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

I'm an introvert and I like my introversion. It gives me a lot of time to think and to be in my own space which I enjoy a lot. I read, write and love to watch documentaries. Those are the three most important things to me in life. When I lived in Nigeria, I lived a mostly secluded life that didn't have a lot of people in it. Regardless, it wasn't boring to me. I went out when I wanted to and took my time for my own activities.

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one key point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

That's about it. I think these are some of the challenges Nigerian immigrants face. But the real question is, do I feel lonely?

The honest answer to that is a No. I find that my life is exactly the same way I lived it in Nigeria, only a lot more convenient and comfortable. I can't trade this for anything. In addition, as an introvert who likes to be by herself anyways, it's just a lot more enjoyable.

Nevertheless, there are steps I'm planning to take to change a few things. I am now taking more opportunities to actually go out and buy things even if I don't have to, e.g groceries, clothes, etc. Secondly, I say hello first to strangers and neighbours and get to ask them a few questions. This I wouldn't have done on the first place. Finally, I downloaded a social media application called clubhouse and have been making new friends in my area using this. As a cautious person, I'm taking baby steps here and not jumping straight into friendships I may not like.

Overall, what do I think of being in Canada as an introvert? I enjoy it. My life and choices are a lot better and I find that I have the time to do much more than I was doing back in Nigeria, not hampered by lack of power or resources.

My advice to others is to gauge their expectations carefully as they come to Canada with or without family. It can be lonely here, but that's not because Canada itself is lonely. It's just because you need to dig deep and find yourself in a new country where family is absent and culture is unfamiliar.

Abeg am ready to be your companion ooo.
Am searching for a God fearing lady. Contact me on 08073514245 make we chat. I based and work in naija here

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Shikena(m): 2:48pm On Feb 17, 2023
Good points and congrats but that's not the topic on this thread.

Princedapace:
Congrats.

I love naija and within africa abeg. I love to eat my cultural foods without having to do a lot work abeg. I am not againt anyone traveling. I am just talking about my self.
Nigeria has wack govt and crazy masses, I know. Life is short. I can only visit other countries on vacation, I still love to see my family, my mom, my siblings, enjoy the cultural food.
I have solar installed, I have power 24/7. I drive my small car fully AC, above all, ladies are so affordable here. U can get a stable side chick for as low as 20k per month and kack as u like. Life is too short to waste it.

Also, I earn online which means I can kinda cope with the naira inflation rate since I dont get paid in naira grin. I know naija is insecure, so, I mind how I move.
I am one hater of Nigeria o. Don't get me wrong. Even if I would relocate, it would be within a more peaceful african country. I just love being around people who look like me more. I no get energy for all that cordination in white man's land.
Like I said, this is my own opinion. I work hard to keep improving my dollar income online and enjoy the umu asa as much as I can.
Babes cheap for here abeg. Nothing dey this life aside p*ssy and money and hopefully, live healthy if possible.
I wish u all the best nne!

They also said Nigeria fit fight war. Oh, well, people in Ukraine never believed they could get into war last year. Well, it happened.
The world is not predicable and death can come at anywhere. War may break out even in the least expected country.

Abeg, if ur income is in naira and it is low, japa if u can o grin

We just hope for the best as we live the NOW/

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 17, 2023
Ok

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by ednut1(m): 2:51pm On Feb 17, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
So some Nigerian men do get ladies to knack for free on dating apps in Canada?
if you are not good looking, have swag , above average height, or get good job, no pussy for you

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by enomakos(m): 2:54pm On Feb 17, 2023
Emeskhalifa:

Can't they do quickie with them white girls over there? I mean no string attached, just a one night stuff? Why are they always looking for African girls na?
abi?
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Greystone: 2:54pm On Feb 17, 2023
ecolime:
This life ehn... You can't have it all.

Same thing my unmarried peeps abroad are facing. Always depressed & bored as fck.

What's the essence of working 247, no time to rest and no one to share life memories with? cry

Here in Naija, some make good money, are in quality relationships, yet the environment and government frustrates the hell out of you

Now imagine what people without good jobs face.

Whether home or abroad, just choose your type of pain and live with it if there's nothing you can do about it.

This is the pure truth.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by enomakos(m): 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2023
ednut1:
if you are not good looking, have swag , above average height, or get good job, no pussy for you
what of pay pussy?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by ednut1(m): 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2023
HardMirror:
i tire for all these ladies. It is easier for them than for men, yet they are the ones always complaining of loneliness, date them now and they start playing you like guiter. Nonsense. If she is tired ahe should return to nigeria. Nigeria girls abroad have turned it to a hubby to complain about their host countries.
they are clowns to me. You could not find a man while in Nigeria that had over 100m men. But you expect to find a man in a country where less than 200k 9ja men dey . People are not that crazy about marriage in the western world cos of the divorce laws. They also dont want to do 50:50, They also want religious men in a country where only old people go to church.One of my female friends dey tell me she is looking for a man from anambra that is a catholic too. This is a 32 years old babe o. 🤡🤡

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Onionstew: 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

I have a a question for you ma'am, please how can i reach you privately?
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Perseverance127: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2023
We are somewhat alike in a sense, do you know that?
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Shikena(m): 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2023
... true with women all over different churches and miracle centers right inside Nigeria praying for husband grin

ednut1:
they are clowns to me. You could not find a man while in Nigeria that had over 100m men. But you expect to find a man in a country where less than 200k men dey . People are not that crazy about marriage in the western world cos of the divorce laws. They also dont want to do 50:50, They also want religious men in a country where only old people go to church.One of my female friends dey tell me she is looking for a man from anambra that is a catholic too. This is a 32 years old babe o. 🤡🤡

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by WarriorHero: 3:01pm On Feb 17, 2023
What kind of question is this?

Cutehector:
How do you deal with conji.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by otipoju(m): 3:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

In my case, I can enjoy the presence if people and enjoy being by myself. I go to a Nigerian Church on Sundays and play with a Nigerian soccer team on Saturdays. I have a large Nuclear family and there is enough noise in the house when the kids get back from daycare.

But there are some uniquely Nigerian street adventures that you simply can not have abroad. Plus sometimes I miss my Childhood and work friends.

But I won't trade this life for any other.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Princeton92(m): 3:06pm On Feb 17, 2023
I'm available if you want also I heard the ladies there are too lonely....

Hook me up with one maybe cheesy grin
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Voiceofthestree: 3:12pm On Feb 17, 2023
Let get to know I will soon be in Canada and I can solve our loneliness problem 😊
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by samefiok(m): 3:12pm On Feb 17, 2023
SmartPolician:
Loneliness or no loneliness, I am coming to Toronto!

Aje you Sabi this thing 😁
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by samefiok(m): 3:14pm On Feb 17, 2023
ednut1:

WTF 😂 is above average height abeg

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by MissTemi1(f): 3:18pm On Feb 17, 2023
So? Is dat why u want to cry?
StrongAlphMale:
Nigeria girls cannot stay one week without chopping dick. Know this and know peace!

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Klass99(f): 3:19pm On Feb 17, 2023
smiley

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by StrongAlphMale: 3:25pm On Feb 17, 2023
MissTemi1:
So? Is dat why u want to cry?

This one oloshos and runz girls have been quoting me on nairaland lately. It's obvious you mistake me for one of your customers

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Kobicove(m): 3:28pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020 , I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

You are truly confused cheesy
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by ednut1(m): 3:30pm On Feb 17, 2023
enomakos:
what of pay pussy?
heard there is 100 to 200 dols for one round grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Ikaeniyan0: 3:33pm On Feb 17, 2023
ednut1:
😂
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by ednut1(m): 3:33pm On Feb 17, 2023
samefiok:

WTF 😂 is above average height abeg
women on those dating apps set height requirements for men to 5 ft 11 and above . The stats are out there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by GloriousGbola: 3:35pm On Feb 17, 2023
ednut1:

My man ednut1 on the humblebrag.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by planetx: 3:49pm On Feb 17, 2023
Emeskhalifa:

Can't they do quickie with them white girls over there? I mean no string attached, just a one night stuff? Why are they always looking for African girls na?
You think white girls are hungry for food that you can do quickie with them?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bride-to-be & Her Fiance Die In Auto Crash Enroute To Lagos From PH / The Corpse Of Sunday Ajayi, Anambra FRSC Commander Who Died In Accident / Who Knows This Bus Conductor That Died Along Ikorodu Sagamu Road? (Disturbing)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.