Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration (46344 Views)

How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Information About Canada Migration With SSCE / Canada Migration....... The Secrets (2) (3) (4)

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by SURElee(f): 6:41pm On Feb 17, 2023
After your write-up.
People in the same Canada as you have been on this thread asking which Province you are in, yet you are nowhere to reply, yet you say you are lonely?

Even an introvert needs some 30mins to chat and hang out with people before they withdraw into their cherished space of solitude.

Do well to reply so you have well-meaning Nairalanders who are Nigerians to associate with in Canada.

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by meobizy(f): 6:42pm On Feb 17, 2023
Why say na mostly Naija girls dey complain of this loneliness abroad? What are the guys that way doing right?
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Princedapace(m): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2023
kingimmade:

@Princedapace kindly reply my PM

I replied
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Lobotomy02: 6:53pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020, I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

I'm an introvert and I like my introversion. It gives me a lot of time to think and to be in my own space which I enjoy a lot. I read, write and love to watch documentaries. Those are the three most important things to me in life. When I lived in Nigeria, I lived a mostly secluded life that didn't have a lot of people in it. Regardless, it wasn't boring to me. I went out when I wanted to and took my time for my own activities.

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one key point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

That's about it. I think these are some of the challenges Nigerian immigrants face. But the real question is, do I feel lonely?

The honest answer to that is a No. I find that my life is exactly the same way I lived it in Nigeria, only a lot more convenient and comfortable. I can't trade this for anything. In addition, as an introvert who likes to be by herself anyways, it's just a lot more enjoyable.

Nevertheless, there are steps I'm planning to take to change a few things. I am now taking more opportunities to actually go out and buy things even if I don't have to, e.g groceries, clothes, etc. Secondly, I say hello first to strangers and neighbours and get to ask them a few questions. This I wouldn't have done on the first place. Finally, I downloaded a social media application called clubhouse and have been making new friends in my area using this. As a cautious person, I'm taking baby steps here and not jumping straight into friendships I may not like.

Overall, what do I think of being in Canada as an introvert? I enjoy it. My life and choices are a lot better and I find that I have the time to do much more than I was doing back in Nigeria, not hampered by lack of power or resources.

My advice to others is to gauge their expectations carefully as they come to Canada with or without family. It can be lonely here, but that's not because Canada itself is lonely. It's just because you need to dig deep and find yourself in a new country where family is absent and culture is unfamiliar.

Ok.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by JASONjnr(m): 6:55pm On Feb 17, 2023
LastProphet:

You don't know what she's talking about, just a classic black way of summarizing everything into what you understand. She doesn't care about your experience and it's not the same. Is your background the same? Did you attend the same kind of schools growing up? Do you have equal exposure? I play in and attend orchestras does that mean every Nigerian knows what that means? You that even lived abroad before should have known better

There's nothing like, classic black way of summarising anything....

Experience and exposure doesn't make people to think alike...

But everyone can relate to people's experiences....

I tell you, abroad way of life is totally different from naija.

An introvert definition of a naija person is different from when a white person tells you he/she is an introvert.

So I tell you I can relate to her experience and she's lying.... You can get deceived if you want.... But stay on that lane....
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by JASONjnr(m): 6:59pm On Feb 17, 2023
SURElee:
After your write-up.
People in the same Canada as you have been on this thread asking which Province you are in, yet you are nowhere to reply, yet you say you are lonely?

Even an introvert needs some 30mins to chat and hang out with people before they withdraw into their cherished space of solitude.

Do well to reply so you have well-meaning Nairalanders who are Nigerians to associate with in Canada.

She's lying about everything, if you carefully read through the lines....

You can't be an introvert and love it, yet wants to go out to buy food stuff when she can literally order them and have it deliver to her door without her seeing the delivery guy face to face.

Why is she trying to make the changes?

She's dying of loneliness and she doesn't have the guts to appeal for someone to come up to keep her company....

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Karleb(m): 7:09pm On Feb 17, 2023
scrolldown88:

If you're life was so enjoyable and perfect, why then do you speak of implementing those measures to change it. Your entire post is a bit contradictory.

I find that most introverts are not being entirely honest with their introversion and desire to socialize. For the most part, a lot know that there's a void of social interaction that they yearn to be filled. But they talk as if they're living in paradise, yet talk within the same epistle, talk of implementing measures to switch up their supposedly perfect life. It's contradictory.
It's also an introvert delimma. I say this cuz I'm one

I've often said it, times without number.

No matter how perfect they say their lives are, they are always striving to better it because they lacking in the aspect of socializing.

I admire those who address this and are doing their best about it. But, some so called senior introverts are of the notion that introverts are perfect the way they are, which is wrong and dangerous.

A lot of introverts need help in real life. It's sad they are not being encouraged to go for this help because their senior colleagues believe they are perfect. Nonsense! angry

One way to help yourself as an introvert is to throw away the "introvert tag", and stop trying to fit in into the pseudo perfect introvert life.

Just do you.

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Isabi4lov: 7:15pm On Feb 17, 2023
Abeg list of dating apps with correct white guys
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by funkemary(f): 7:28pm On Feb 17, 2023
God abeg šŸ™ as much as i want to Japa someday, i don't want to enter another boring life. I am already overcoming this introvertedness, may i not enter another God abeg

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by ogawisdom(m): 7:42pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:
Before I left Canada for Nigeria in 2020, I had heard severally that it was very lonely there for Nigerian immigrants. I didn't quite understand what people meant exactly when they said this. However, over time I now have a very good understanding of this particular challenge with migration. Here are some of the things I've learnt on the way. But first, a little background about me.

I'm an introvert and I like my introversion. It gives me a lot of time to think and to be in my own space which I enjoy a lot. I read, write and love to watch documentaries. Those are the three most important things to me in life. When I lived in Nigeria, I lived a mostly secluded life that didn't have a lot of people in it. Regardless, it wasn't boring to me. I went out when I wanted to and took my time for my own activities.

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one key point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

That's about it. I think these are some of the challenges Nigerian immigrants face. But the real question is, do I feel lonely?

The honest answer to that is a No. I find that my life is exactly the same way I lived it in Nigeria, only a lot more convenient and comfortable. I can't trade this for anything. In addition, as an introvert who likes to be by herself anyways, it's just a lot more enjoyable.

Nevertheless, there are steps I'm planning to take to change a few things. I am now taking more opportunities to actually go out and buy things even if I don't have to, e.g groceries, clothes, etc. Secondly, I say hello first to strangers and neighbours and get to ask them a few questions. This I wouldn't have done on the first place. Finally, I downloaded a social media application called clubhouse and have been making new friends in my area using this. As a cautious person, I'm taking baby steps here and not jumping straight into friendships I may not like.

Overall, what do I think of being in Canada as an introvert? I enjoy it. My life and choices are a lot better and I find that I have the time to do much more than I was doing back in Nigeria, not hampered by lack of power or resources.

My advice to others is to gauge their expectations carefully as they come to Canada with or without family. It can be lonely here, but that's not because Canada itself is lonely. It's just because you need to dig deep and find yourself in a new country where family is absent and culture is unfamiliar.

As if that is the reason for going to Canada?
Everyone should know their reason for traveling and stick to it.

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by legionISproteus: 7:45pm On Feb 17, 2023
Cutehector:
How do you deal with conji.

Which kain question be dis?

Confusedgirlie wey don dey mĆ sturbate since she dey naija, you wan dey ask am obvious nonsense.

Ask better questions like how interactive is the Cludbhouse app? What kind of conversations there are interesting? You know wink

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by MissTemi1(f): 7:58pm On Feb 17, 2023
U wish. I am happily married. I only quoted u because ur comment is from a bitter soul
StrongAlphMale:

This one oloshos and runz girls have been quoting me on nairaland lately. It's obvious you mistake me for one of your customers
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by BossGerald: 8:07pm On Feb 17, 2023
SmartPolician:
Loneliness or no loneliness, I am coming to Toronto!

Hahaha...smartpolitician on the beatšŸ¤£

Obi must win for a better nigeria
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by newcommer: 8:17pm On Feb 17, 2023
scrolldown88:

If you're life was so enjoyable and perfect, why then do you speak of implementing those measures to change it. Your entire post is a bit contradictory.

I find that most introverts are not being entirely honest with their introversion and desire to socialize. For the most part, a lot know that there's a void of social interaction that they yearn to be filled. But they talk as if they're living in paradise, yet talk within the same epistle, talk of implementing measures to switch up their supposedly perfect life. It's contradictory.
It's also an introvert delimma. I say this cuz I'm one

You write well

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by scrolldown88: 8:20pm On Feb 17, 2023
newcommer:

You write well

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by djkaneo(m): 8:25pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

So apart from dildos and vibrators, you never knack real dick since then.šŸ«”
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Eagba(m): 8:37pm On Feb 17, 2023
Karleb:

I've often said it, times without number.

No matter how perfect they say their lives are, they are always striving to better it because they lacking in the aspect of socializing.

I admire those who address this and are doing their best about it. But, some so called senior introverts are of the notion that introverts are perfect the way they are, which is wrong and dangerous.

A lot of introverts need help in real life. It's sad they are not being encouraged to go for this help because their senior colleagues believe they are perfect. Nonsense! angry

One way to help yourself as an introvert is to throw away the "introvert tag", and stop trying to fit in into the pseudo perfect introvert life.

Just do you.
A true introvert( not those that are shy or don't know how to socialize, then holed up and start claiming introvert, while they wish to be the popular kid) is never lonely.
As a matter of fact, it's the extroverts that are usually lonely and they can't bear to be alone, so they always looking for the next high to run far from being lonely. While deep inside, they're never ok.

Personally, I hate it when people try to keep me company thinking I'm lonely because I'm alone( in my head I usually tell them to Bleep off n stop invading my privacy).
If the op is looking to make adjustments in her lifestyle, is very normal and you and your likes calling her a lair are actually the confused lots. If I'm indoor for a very long time, my system will seek going out, adjusting, and enjoy a new experience which are perfectly normal and there's nothing wrong with me.
You can even see how she avoided running amok when some folks on here were asking her for her location and contact.

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by StrongAlphMale: 8:41pm On Feb 17, 2023
MissTemi1:
U wish. I am happily married. I only quoted u because ur comment is from a bitter soul

From your comment, it's so obvious you're not happy with your marriage else you wouldn't have come here to rant and wail. Very obvious you have other guys banging your pussy on a steady. I really Pity the SIMP dude that married you. Such a pity
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Eagba(m): 8:43pm On Feb 17, 2023
JASONjnr:

She's lying about everything, if you carefully read through the lines....

You can't be an introvert and love it, yet wants to go out to buy food stuff when she can literally order them and have it deliver to her door without her seeing the delivery guy face to face.

Why is she trying to make the changes?

She's dying of loneliness and she doesn't have the guts to appeal for someone to come up to keep her company....

A true introvert( not those that are shy or don't know how to socialize, then holed up and start claiming introvert, while they wish to be the popular kid) is never lonely.
As a matter of fact, it's the extroverts that are usually lonely and they can't bear to be alone, so they always looking for the next high to run far from being lonely. While deep inside, they're never ok.

Personally, I hate it when people try to keep me company thinking I'm lonely because I'm alone( in my head I usually tell them to Bleep off n stop invading my privacy).
If the op is looking to make adjustments in her lifestyle, is very normal and you and your likes calling her a lair are actually the confused lots. If I'm indoor for a very long time, my system will seek going out, adjusting, and enjoy a new experience which are perfectly normal and there's nothing wrong with me.
You can even see how she avoided running amok when some folks on here were asking her for her location and contact.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Karleb(m): 8:50pm On Feb 17, 2023
Eagba:

Now we have true and false introverts?

Anyway, if the life you live is so perfect, why try to adjust it? undecided

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Nwachi22(f): 9:15pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

Since being in Canada, my observations have been that it is a lot lonelier here. The reasons are very obvious: there are not a lot of people around me from a culture I'm familiar with (Nigeria), so it's definitely a lot more difficult to interact with others. That's one angrykey point. Another is that I don't really have to go out to purchase things (even groceries), compared to when I was in Nigeria. I can simply order everything I need while sitting in the comfort of my home. Hence, the temptation is to go this way. In addition, I don't have family around, so I'm mostly by myself. And finally, the few friends I have are often busy, so there's hardly time to get together.

Story of my life. Iā€™m in Guelph, Ontario.
Iā€™ve never been this lonely.
I miss my friends and family

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by MissTemi1(f): 9:28pm On Feb 17, 2023
Keep crying on a faceless forumn. Come n stay in the marriage for me. Bitter soul. E pain amšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Imagine explaining the history of an unknown personā€™s life. Is dat not madness?
StrongAlphMale:

From your comment, it's so obvious you're not happy with your marriage else you wouldn't have come here to rant and wail. Very obvious you have other guys banging your pussy on a steady. I really Pity the SIMP dude that married you. Such a pity
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Ten06(m): 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2023
Introverts who always to keep to themselves, their vibrator do not stay long before it gets worn-out.
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by LastProphet: 10:01pm On Feb 17, 2023
JASONjnr:

There's nothing like, classic black way of summarising anything....

Experience and exposure doesn't make people to think alike...

But everyone can relate to people's experiences....

I tell you, abroad way of life is totally different from naija.

An introvert definition of a naija person is different from when a white person tells you he/she is an introvert.

So I tell you I can relate to her experience and she's lying.... You can get deceived if you want.... But stay on that lane....

I stay abroad too and I understand your part of saying introvert in naija vs abroad, but I feel she just used the word introvert in a not-too-accurate way. However, it doesn't mean everyone can understand her or summarize her actual experience. Where I am there are days I don't greet anyone and I'm very fine and happy because my life in naija wasn't too different. And exposures determine a large part of who you become don't dull yourself. I have professor colleagues that belief witchcraft can kill them because an owl cried, when I check I see it in their backgrounds. My friend exposures are different
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by deyplay: 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2023
highchief1:
back then in Nigeria I Dey block road cos traffic just to collect babe number.It was street toasting.Here itā€™s impossible u canā€™t even talk to ur Neighbour even though two of u like each other.Everything is on dating app o.u will look very awkward to be talking to anybody one on one.Abroad sweet.U stay in ur house,meet her online?uber her down,una go tidy u Uber her back.
maybe na another country I dey o. Wey babes yapa inside TTC, bustops, malls etc Different countries ass. I tire self. Na me never want unleash my dragon yet. I think say oyinbo no get yansh before. If u see yansh , round ass o that I see every day. Which province u dey self? If u get game as a guy, u go katapult die. But if you are a lizard in Naija. U can't become an alligator here o.

*Update*:just finished wooing one fine Ukrainian student I met inside the TTC bus. Your mindset determines your results. If u believe relationship is hard here, so be it for you

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by highchief1: 10:19pm On Feb 17, 2023
deyplay:
maybe na another country I dey o. Wey babes yapa inside TTC, bustops, malls etc Different countries ass. I tire self. Na me never want unleash my dragon yet. I think say oyinbo no get yansh before. If u see yansh , round ass o that I see every day. Which province u dey self? If u get game as a guy, u go katapult die. But if you are a lizard in Naija. U can't become an alligator here o.

*Update*:just finished wooing one fine Ukrainian student I met inside the TTC bus. Your mindset determines your results. If u believe relationship is hard here, so be it for you
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by damzy88: 10:20pm On Feb 17, 2023
Princedapace:
Congrats.

I love naija and within africa abeg. I love to eat my cultural foods without having to do a lot work abeg. I am not againt anyone traveling. I am just talking about my self.
Nigeria has wack govt and crazy masses, I know. Life is short. I can only visit other countries on vacation, I still love to see my family, my mom, my siblings, enjoy the cultural food.
I have solar installed, I have power 24/7. I drive my small car fully AC, above all, ladies are so affordable here. U can get a stable side chick for as low as 20k per month and kack as u like. Life is too short to waste it.

Also, I earn online which means I can kinda cope with the naira inflation rate since I dont get paid in naira grin. I know naija is insecure, so, I mind how I move.
I am one hater of Nigeria o. Don't get me wrong. Even if I would relocate, it would be within a more peaceful african country. I just love being around people who look like me more. I no get energy for all that cordination in white man's land.
Like I said, this is my own opinion. I work hard to keep improving my dollar income online and enjoy the umu asa as much as I can.
Babes cheap for here abeg. Nothing dey this life aside p*ssy and money and hopefully, live healthy if possible.
I wish u all the best nne!

They also said Nigeria fit fight war. Oh, well, people in Ukraine never believed they could get into war last year. Well, it happened.
The world is not predicable and death can come at anywhere. War may break out even in the least expected country.

Abeg, if ur income is in naira and it is low, japa if u can o grin

We just hope for the best as we live the NOW/
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by deyplay: 10:21pm On Feb 17, 2023
highchief1:
lol why do u think most Nigerians abroad donā€™t want to return again even if they are not making it.Women here are very easy.No1 no woman here will give u their number if they are not ready to lash.No2 they are matured and donā€™t talk plenty talk once they enter ur house.No3 they eat from their house because they know they may not be able to eat Nigerian food or something else u will offer them.Nigerian girls r too hungry once they know they are having a date tomorrow from today they wonā€™t eat again.A glass of white or red wine here u don tidy.all this pls stop,why are u doing this?is this why u invited me to ur place,itā€™s our first meeting this is not right.if u touch me again Iā€™ll pick my bag and go.I never hear all those nonsense since I come here.But mind u,the Uber is expensive o.we Dey use 30k to and fro to Uber girl.if her place far u fit pay 50k sef.Nigeria remains cheaper though.cos with 5k then I Dey tidy well.
baba, why u dey pay her uber na? Na escort? No be friend?

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by highchief1: 10:32pm On Feb 17, 2023
deyplay:
baba, why u dey pay her uber na? Na escort? No be friend?
bros na who Dey find something em hand Dey long o na me conji Dey worry why I no go pay

Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Emma4real333(m): 10:41pm On Feb 17, 2023
Nwachi22:

Story of my life. Iā€™m in Guelph, Ontario.
Iā€™ve never been this lonely.
I miss my friends and family

Bia Nne no too reason am.
I'm available ooo cool
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by Nobody: 10:53pm On Feb 17, 2023
deyplay:

People wey be earthworm for naija na
Asking for a friend grin
Re: My Experience With Loneliness After Canada Migration by malali: 11:24pm On Feb 17, 2023
Confusedgirlie:

Hey we can chat, hook up, or just be pals ...if you are interested, i will give you my info smiley ?

Man Climbs Onto Wing Of Airplane Before Takeoff In Las Vegas / Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The Worldā€™s Best Airports For 2019 / NAF Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138